Poll: Fitz vs Geno

Mike135

Fitz or Geno?  

168 members have voted

1. 1. 2016 Starter?

• Fitz @8mil+ (most likely 10mil+ and multiple years)
    • Geno
    • Fitz @7mil and not a penny more! Otherwise Geno. (Added for LIJetsFan.)

1 minute ago, Saul Goodman said:

It's funny because there always seems to be beat writers that like to play devil's advocate or contrarian, and I haven't seen one so far suggest that it would be a good idea to start Geno Smith at quarterback next year. Same with the national media. And same with the 31 other fan bases. It's literally just a percentage of Jet fans posting on message boards that advocate for this guy. Everyone else thinks he's horrible. 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-hq/0ap3000000663116/What-will-it-take-for-Jets-Fitzpatrick-to-come-to-an-agreement

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

It's funny because there always seems to be beat writers that like to play devil's advocate or contrarian, and I haven't seen one so far suggest that it would be a good idea to start Geno Smith at quarterback next year. Same with the national media. And same with the 31 other fan bases. It's literally just a percentage of Jet fans posting on message boards that advocate for this guy. Everyone else thinks he's horrible. 

Two things wrong with this post..

1) You seem to be making the assumption that people in the media know more than many people on Jet message boards 

2) The people that cover the Jets almost unilaterally look to take whatever position will make the Jets look bad.  In this case it's that the Jets should be bending over backwards to overpay for a QB that seemingly no-one else in the league wants. 

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

To be fair, against Buffalo he missed 75% of the game since Vick started, and then the following week in the (first) Miami game Ryan made a spiteful joke by running the ball every down between the first and last series. It was just about the most selfish, childish thing I've seen a coach do, done just to stick it to his GM. You know that gameplan didn't come from Mornhinweg. It would have been the perfect opportunity to fire Ryan on the spot, and have an interim coach tank the rest of the season while we were sitting there at 2-10, in the catbird seat to finish with the #1 pick.  

Of course that doesn't give Smith "woulda done it" credit for a lofty passing numbers that game, but that was among the more infuriating games last year. It would be one thing if he was tanking for a high draft pick. This was pure spite.

Any owner well versed in Pro Football would have Rex azz after that game! You don't make points f*cking around with someones team. I would have told him to clear out his office by sundown.

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

Oh this is a poll?  I didn't realize.

Would ya look at that.  B)

Geno has 45 votes!

Then add 42 votes if Fitz doesn't accept 7mil.

87 to 41 in Geno's favor.  Who woulda thought?

Amazing what games you can play with math when you split one of the 2 guys involved votes in half.

you do realize that 3rd option is saying they prefer Fitz to Geno right?

you are actually looking at 

Fitz 83

Geno 45

48 minutes ago, ljr said:

Amazing what games you can play with math when you split one of the 2 guys involved votes in half.

you do realize that 3rd option is saying they prefer Fitz to Geno right?

you are actually looking at 

Fitz 83

Geno 45

Sure.  If Fitz accepts 7mil.  This isn't asking, if money wasn't a factor, who would you start?  It's asking about our current situation.

Me?  I start Geno regardless.  But those that chose the 3rd option are not saying that.  They're saying bring Fitz back if he'll take 7mil.  Anything over that and it's not worth it.  They'll take Geno instead.

So based on all reports of Fitz wanting over 7, reality says the majority would prefer Geno.  There's no other way to spin it.

But heck, 45 (over a third) saying to not pay Fitz even 7 is pretty impressive.

29 minutes ago, Arsis said:

I don't think it matters much with this roster. We're a 6 win team at best this season. Why waste the money on Fitz to get maybe a 7th win.

Haven't you heard Jamie Dukes yet?  This is a SB ready team.  Just not with Fitz.  

It's only a couple posts up, but I'll post again in case ya missed it.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-hq/0ap3000000663116/What-will-it-take-for-Jets-Fitzpatrick-to-come-to-an-agreement

6 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Sure.  If Fitz accepts 7mil.  This isn't asking, if money wasn't a factor, who would you start?  It's asking about our current situation.

Me?  I start Geno regardless.  But the majority here are not saying that.  They're saying bring Fitz back if he'll take 7mil.  Anything over that and it's not worth it.  We'll take Geno instead.

So based on all reports of Fitz wanting over 7, reality says the majority would prefer Geno.  There's no other way to spin it.

But heck, 45 (over a third) saying to not pay Fitz even 7 is pretty impressive.

i know if we can't get Fitz or another vet I'd even prefer Petty or the rookie over  Geno ... So I picked the option that gave Geno 0 chance.  Otherwise I'd have chosen the player I want (Fitz) at the cheaper price.  Guess what happens if I didn't have that option tossed in though? (which is where your big fallacy occurs ... There is no way to have a legit result comparing 2 guys when you break that into 3 choices) ... I'm sure many people picked Fitz at the cheaper price ... Then if this wasn't an option & they were forced into Fitz at whatever pricetag or Geno (many may choose to have a needle shoved into their eyeball instead if those are all they can choose from) ... But when all is said & done they would still pick Fitz over Geno, JMO

18 minutes ago, ljr said:

i know if we can't get Fitz or another vet I'd even prefer Petty or the rookie over  Geno ... So I picked the option that gave Geno 0 chance.  Otherwise I'd have chosen the player I want (Fitz) at the cheaper price.  Guess what happens if I didn't have that option tossed in though? (which is where your big fallacy occurs ... There is no way to have a legit result comparing 2 guys when you break that into 3 choices) ... I'm sure many people picked Fitz at the cheaper price ... Then if this wasn't an option & they were forced into Fitz at whatever pricetag or Geno (many may choose to have a needle shoved into their eyeball instead if those are all they can choose from) ... But when all is said & done they would still pick Fitz over Geno, JMO

I don't think so.  Not sure if you've read the 1st page of posts, but originally I only had the first two options.  Because those are the two realistic ones, given Fitz wants more than 8mil.

But it was requested to add that 3rd option.  So I did.  However it clearly states, "Fitz @7mil and not a penny more! Otherwise Geno".  That's not that hard to understand.  In fact I can't think of another way to explain it better at the moment.  I'll try though.

If Fitzpatrick will accept a contract in 2016 to play for the Jets for 7 million dollars or less, sign him.  However if Fitzpatrick would like to receive higher compensation for his services... say thanks, but no thanks.  And start Geno instead.

The person who suggested the 3rd option even admitted it is basically a 99% vote for Geno because there's only a 1% chance Fitz accepts 7mil.

The only people making your argument (and there have been a couple others) are people who seriously don't like Geno.  

I think for future similar comments I'll just point them to this response instead of always retyping the response.

Geno is an extremely unpopular player on the Jets. And he's not winning the poll. Player vs player without salary as a factor he's got about 35% so far. I think that's pretty good for Geno. I never dreamed even in a small poll like this one he'd get over 5 %. And he shouldn't. One thing is for sure on this board. There's still extreme bitterness about week 17. And all of the blame in one direction. 

6 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Geno is an extremely unpopular player on the Jets. And he's not winning the poll. Player vs player without salary as a factor he's got about 35% so far.

Lol.  Ugh Ranger fans, smh.  :dohslap:

That is technically true.  In this poll, if money was not a factor, Fitz is winning.  However there is a salary cap in the NFL.  So money is a factor.

At 7mil or less, Fitz wins.

Over 7mil, Geno wins.

Is Fitz going to accept 7mil?  You can determine the winner of this poll based on that answer.

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Geno is an extremely unpopular player on the Jets. And he's not winning the poll. Player vs player without salary as a factor he's got about 35% so far. I think that's pretty good for Geno. I never dreamed even in a small poll like this one he'd get over 5. One thing is for sure on this board. There's still extreme bitterness about week 17. And all of the blame in one direction. 

Week 17 was a few months ago and you have a problem with folks who can't forget, yet the vast majority of this Geno Smith hate society can't forget what happen from 2 football seasons ago and that's not an issue .

Ironic isn't it. 

3 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Week 17 was a few months ago and you have a problem with folks who can't forget, yet the vast majority of this Geno Smith hate society can't forget what happen from 2 football seasons ago and that's not an issue .

Ironic isn't it. 

^^^^^Common sense statement. 

7 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Lol.  Ugh Ranger fans, smh.

That is technically true.  In this poll, if money was not a factor, Fitz is winning.  However there is a salary cap in the NFL.  So money is a factor.

At 7mil or less, Fitz wins.

Over 7mil, Geno wins.

Is Fitz going to accept 7mil?  You can determine the winner of this poll based on that answer.

Again player against player the voters prefer Fitz 65% to 35%. Salary should not be a factor. Who is the best player? And that's a no-brainer. And as fans we have no control over contracts. The bottom line is: some guys are so angry about the 3 picks (Carson Palmer threw 4 picks in their playoff game vs Carolina) they don't want to give Fitz an extra nickle. That's their idea of pay back. 

6 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Ironic isn't it. 

I don't hate Geno and I'll embrace him if he's the starter. I'd take him over Mark Sanchez any day. But he had 29 starts and he was mediocre. Just look at his numbers. Fitz gave us our best Qbing in years. It's stupid to start Geno over Fitz. 

Again player against player the voters prefer Fitz 65% to 35%. Salary should not be a factor. Who is the best player? And that's a no-brainer. And as fans we have no control over contracts. The bottom line is: some guys are so angry about the 3 picks (Carson Palmer threw 4 picks in their playoff game vs Carolina) they don't want to give Fitz an extra nickle. That's their idea of pay back. 

If money should not be a factor:

1. Contact the Saints and trade for Brees.  Pay him 20mil a season.
  2. Extend Wilkerson.  Given the money the Giants paid for Dlinemen, Mo should easily get 20mil per as well.
  3. No reason to wait on Sheldon.  Let's try and extend him now @15mil per.

Money is always a factor.  It's why roughly a third of voters chose that "7mil or Geno" option.

21 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Geno is an extremely unpopular player on the Jets. And he's not winning the poll. Player vs player without salary as a factor he's got about 35% so far. I think that's pretty good for Geno. I never dreamed even in a small poll like this one he'd get over 5 %. And he shouldn't. One thing is for sure on this board. There's still extreme bitterness about week 17. And all of the blame in one direction. 

He is winning. 

tumblr_njo3hqbyap1sndpyso2_400.gif

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I don't hate Geno and I'll embrace him if he's the starter. I'd take him over Mark Sanchez any day. But he had 29 starts and he was mediocre. Just look at his numbers. Fitz gave us our best Qbing in years. It's stupid to start Geno over Fitz. 

It's been discussed in countless threads that Geno and Fitz played for a different Jets team and coaching staff but nothing penetrates your bozone layer.

People like you shouldn't be allowed to vote.

2 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

If money should not be a factor:

1. Contact the Saints and trade for Brees.  Pay him 20mil a season.
  2. Extend Wilkerson.  Given the money the Giants paid for Dlinemen, Mo should easily get 20mil per as well.
  3. No reason to wait on Sheldon.  Let's try and extend him now @15mil per.

Money is always a factor.  It's why roughly a third of voters chose that "7mil or Geno" option.

Whose the better player? And Brees or any franchise Qb isn't available. 20 mil is the market price of a franchise Qb and many Jets fans on this board would sell their soul for one. I wouldn't but I'd give Fitz market for a starter which is over 7. And 7 is just a lowball made up figure which is unreasonable because no starting NFL Qb is getting paid that low.

12 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Tell me if you see the problem presently with the bolded statement ?

Whose the better player? And Brees or any franchise Qb isn't available. 20 mil is the market price of a franchise Qb and many Jets fans on this board would sell their soul for one. I wouldn't but I'd give Fitz market for a starter which is over 7. And 7 is just a lowball made up figure which is unreasonable because no starting NFL Qb is getting paid that low.

31 other NFL teams arent signing Fitz that should tell you something ONLY TEAM he would start on is the Jets.

Who is the lowest paid starting NFL QB? 

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

I'm the wrong person to ask that question.  Because I think the odds are good that Geno is the better player.  If they were both making 2mil a year and on the team, I'd say start Geno.  

I don't know for sure if Geno is better than Fitz, but I think he will be with a good team around him.

I'd imagine most here would say Fitz though.  However, again, the question comes down to money (and the resulting cost/hit to the team).  Most do not feel Fitz is that much (as in, over 7mil) better.

8 minutes ago, jetrider said:

It's been discussed in countless threads that Geno and Fitz played for a different Jets team and coaching staff but nothing penetrates your bozone layer.

People like you shouldn't be allowed to vote.

I'm sorry, but that right there is funny as all heck .

You'd give Fitz market value for a starter?

Fitz would not be a starter on 31 NFL teams.

Just because he can start for the Jets does not make him a NFL starting QB on the pay scale.

He's nothing more than a journeyman backup player.

Why not make one choice "Geno" and then a dozen or so different Fitz options to water down the percentages and then Geno can win this poll the same way he "won" the starting job last season?  LOL

Season can't get here soon enough...please football gods, keep Fitz away from the facility and let one of the young guys blow the staff away and win the job.

#BackHack

13 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

31 other NFL teams arent signing Fitz that should tell you something ONLY TEAM he would start on is the Jets.

Who is the lowest paid starting NFL QB? 

I just like looked it up on Sportac. Other than guys still on rookie contracts like Mariota and Jameis and Luck and not including Cleveland who doesn't have an announced starter but is paying RG3 about 15 for 2 with around 7 guarantee it would be Andy Dalton who is making 16 mil in 2016. I'm not advocating that but 7 is unreasonable for a starting Qb and one who had a good season. 

47 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Yeah, the blame goes straight to the QB.  

You know, where all the Fitz fan boys have no problem pointing to for 2013 & 2014 season. 

Fu(ked up that it actually works both ways. 

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Why not make one choice "Geno" and then a dozen or so different Fitz options to water down the percentages and then Geno can win this poll the same way he was "won" the starting job last season?  LOL

Season can't get here soon enough...please football gods, keep Fitz away from the facility and let one of the young guys blow the staff away and win the job.

#BackHack

Because that would be cheap.

That 3rd option isn't a "Fitz" option.  Perhaps I'm giving some members here too much credit, but I think they can read the full text of the option.

It's a "Fitz and Geno" option.  Fitz for a certain amount, otherwise Geno.  Not very difficult to understand.

Archived