Poll: Fitz vs Geno

Mike135

Fitz or Geno?  

168 members have voted

1. 1. 2016 Starter?

• Fitz @8mil+ (most likely 10mil+ and multiple years)
    • Geno
    • Fitz @7mil and not a penny more! Otherwise Geno. (Added for LIJetsFan.)

Just now, Rangers9 said:

He was ripped a lot as was their HC for never winning a playoff game. I think he's a good Qb but on this board he would be buried. 

sure and he should be ripped but I'd rather be ripped for failing in postseason than failing to get to postseason.

On this board and w/ Jet fans any QB would be buried.  Just look at how Chad and Sanchez have been treated and they are two of the most successful QBs we have had.

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Give me the list of QBs.  Then compare those QBs to Fitz.  How many never won more than 6 games up until a year ago, never have made the playoffs, are 33, have a weaker arm than Fitz.  How's that list?  Please don't compare Fitz to a Dalton. Fitz was never as good as Dalton.  Dalton at least makes the playoffs, doesn't shlt the bed to keep his team out of the playoffs.  And Dalton is young, still is getting better.  Fitz, according to people like Polian, has peaked and will fade.  Fast. 

I don't agree about Fitz except that he shouldn't get 16 mil. But he's a good Qb and our starter. 

Just now, Rangers9 said:

I don't agree about Fitz except that he shouldn't get 16 mil. But he's a good Qb and our starter. 

I beg to differ on this.  The guy has never been to playoffs.  He has had 1 or 2 good season in his 11 year career.   Where do you get the he's a good QB from?

6 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Geno has had one full season and he helped us get close to the playoffs w/ far less talent than Fitz helped us get close to.

So the answer is "zero", Geno has led teams to zero playoff appearances, same as Fitz.  

Fitz has won 4 or fewer games as a starter 4 times, 6 or fewer 7 times.

Yep.  Geno won 4 or less in 66% of his NFL Seasons to-date.

Mark was carried by nothing, put him on 2015 Jets and we aren't sitting at home in January.

Hard drugs are a hell of a thing.

the D led those teams but the QB made big plays and didn't melt under pressure like Fitz.

Sanchez was quite good in the post-season, to his credit.

But he did less than nothing to get those teams to the post-season, he was carried every inch.

will Fitz do better than geno? maybe, is it worth the extra money? probably not.  we can miss the playoffs w/ and w/o Fitz.  

No dispute on these points.  As stated, cap is the best reason against Fitz.

I want Fitz back at the right price but if he's not back we won't drop off much w/ Geno.

Yes.  We will.  And even if we do, the same kind of fantasy-based excuse making will arise around him as did Sanchez and Geno first two years.  

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So the answer is "zero", Geno has led teams to zero playoff appearances, same as Fitz.  

But he did less than nothing to get those teams to the post-season, he was carried every inch.

Yes.  We will.  And even if we do, the same kind of fantasy-based excuse making will arise around him as did Sanchez and Geno first two years.  

Geno has 1 full season, Fitz 7-8

Geno has never won 4 or less in a full season.

mark was vital to those runs and he never played scared in a big game like fitz did in his only big game of 2015.

the pass O was the main reason we won 11 games in 2010, in 2009 he had a lesser role.

he was never carried.

I wish mark had the talent around him that Fitz had in 2015.

8 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Okay, since you're being coy or lazy I'll do it.

Last 6 games played at the end of their year:

Geno (2014): 2-4 Record, 88/134 (65%) 1155 yards passing 5 TDs 3 INTs (Buffalo, Miami x2, NE, Tenn. Minn.)

Fitz (2015): 5-1 record, 147/240 (61%) 1706 yards passing 15 TDs 4 INTs (Miami, NYG, Tenn., NE, Buffalo, Dallas)

Boy, when you lay it all out like that, it really shows you how wrong you are.

Not that I'm crediting Smith with being a good QB last year, but you're really crediting him with a loss for getting inserted into the game with <5 min left in the 3rd quarter with the team already down 31-3, and another where the HC spitefully allowed only like 5 passes until the last drive, with no passes allowed over 3 yards until the last drive, so he could stick it to his hated GM? 

What intellectual honesty.

Mark Sanchez got way more respect than he ever deserved for those playoff Ws. Some people won't stop talking about it and he was ok not great or a franchise caliber Qb. And he earned all of the disrespect he got for his terrible play after 2010. And he didn't exactly light it up in Philly now did he. And they got rid of him fast for almost nothing. 

37 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You're right, he played on a team that had 95% of the same players Fitz had, with the specific addition of Brandon Marshal to it.

This is an absolutely ridiculous statement. Comparing the Idzik austerity years to the free spending Maccagnan last year? Come on, man. The defense, in particular, was completely revamped. The Jets had 30 takeaways in 2015 compared to 13 in 2014. Think that helped Fitz much? Or was he responsible for those takeaways, too. Lol. 

And you love downplaying the Marshall addition, as if it appeared in a bubble. Geno was throwing to an often injured Decker as his number one WR, and had the out of work Percy Harvin for four games (I know you like to pretend that he was a factor, too). Marshall came in last year as the #1 WR, absorbing the opponents #1 CB or double coverage, allowing Decker to largely run free. He was an absolutely huge addition. Geno had the diminutive Jeremy Kerley and his 50% catch rate as his #2. There's no comparison. 

Let alone the complete overhaul of the front office and coaching staff from 2014 to 2015, or any mention of the easiest schedule in the NFL. 

7 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Mark Sanchez got way more respect than he ever deserved for those playoff Ws. Some people won't stop talking about it and he was ok not great or a franchise caliber Qb. And he earned all of the disrespect he got for his terrible play after 2010. And he didn't exactly light it up in Philly now did he. And they got rid of him fast for almost nothing. 

he only had one bad season for us, 2012, and in that season we had the worst talent in the league around him.  he gets far too little respect from jet fans. 

7 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

he only had one bad season for us, 2012, and in that season we had the worst talent in the league around him.  he gets far too little respect from jet fans. 

I was wondering how long it would be. 8 minutes is slower than your Sanchez Spidey Sense usually takes, but it's still pretty fast considering you may not have even been online.

I do not envy Rangers9's next 24-72 hours should he choose to endeavor further into this exchange. 

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I was wondering how long it would be. 8 minutes is slower than your Sanchez Spidey Sense usually takes, but it's still pretty fast considering you may not have even been online.

I do not envy Rangers9's next 24-72 hours should he choose to endeavor further into this exchange. 

:lol: he brought him up.

45 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Geno has 1 full season, Fitz 7-8

Geno has three full seasons.  We don't take seasons away from a players career because they lose the starting job in preseason because they're a cheap idiot and don't win it back. 

mark was vital to those runs

he was never carried

Hard Drugs are a hell of a thing.

I wish mark had the talent

I wish Mark has more talent too.  Sadly, he just isn't very talented.

8 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

:lol: he brought him up.

No you actually brought it up saying how fans disrespected Mark which is a joke.? Always trying to insert Sanchez into the conversation but a lot of us still remember the pain. 

24 minutes ago, slats said:

This is an absolutely ridiculous statement. Comparing the Idzik austerity years to the free spending Maccagnan last year? Come on, man. The defense, in particular, was completely revamped.

Last I checked, Geno played for the offense.  The Defense didn't make him fumble, throw INT's or be ineffective passing the ball.

And it's an argument that goes both ways, our Defense might have been alot better that year if our Offense could have ever given them a second to rest.....after all, outside CB, the Defense was mostly the same as well, and Revis and Cro weren't that great in 2015 despite the idolworship.

And you love downplaying the Marshall addition, as if it appeared in a bubble.

Same way Geno supporters love to downplay that 95% of the Offense roster was exactly the same for Fitz as it was for Geno.

Marshall was a very good low-cost addition, an older, slightly declining player who found some new life here in the Chan system with Fitz throwing to him.

We'll see how much life he has left under Geno Smith now, right?  Proof will clear for one and all to see.  

I'm guessing if it's not so good, the narrative of the same old folks here will quickly shift to how Marshall and Decker were over the hill, and how unfair it was to have Geno not get a fair chance because he had no talent around him in 2016.:rolleyes:

Geno was throwing to an often injured Decker as his number one WR

Decker played as many snaps under Geno as he did under Smith, and he was injured at times in both years.  

Let alone the complete overhaul of the front office and coaching staff from 2014 to 2015, or any mention of the easiest schedule in the NFL. 

I was unaware that Macc and Bowles helped Fitz throw the ball.

Wow, with Macc helping Geno throw in 2016, the sky really IS the limit!

Clearly I've been thinking about this all wrong, where can i sign up to get my "It's So Unfair, Finally Get some Talent For Geno in 2020!" T-Shirt? 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Favoritism alert! Geno hate alert! 

Question. How did you come up with this "Geno won 4 or less in 66% of his NFL seasons to date" number?

You also mentioned "4 wins or less". Question. When has Geno Smith ever been on a Jets team with less than 4 wins? 

You're SITTING HERE manipulating numbers and words. What you're doing is counting last season as an actual season on his resume, but not counting the the season record. You're taking a game that he didnt start, that the Jets lost and counting it as "his" loss but also as representing this and an "entire season" though you're not counting the entire season but that 1 loss in a game he didnt start. All this manipulation to make a dude look bad? You're the worst dude. 

I see what you're doing. You're a hater bro! 

16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Geno has three full seasons.  We don't take seasons away from a players career because they lose the starting job in preseason because they're a cheap idiot and don't win it back. 

Hard Drugs are a hell of a thing.

I wish Mark has more talent too.  Sadly, he just isn't very talented.

3 full seasons played.  if you want to be like that then Fitz has 0 playoff apps in 11 seasons.

vital.

15 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

No you actually brought it up saying how fans disrespected Mark which is a joke.? Always trying to insert Sanchez into the conversation but a lot of us still remember the pain. 

actually warfish brought him up.

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Last I checked, Geno played for the offense.  The Defense didn't make him fumble, throw INT's or be ineffective passing the ball.

And it's an argument that goes both ways, our Defense might have been alot better that year if our Offense could have ever given them a second to rest.....after all, outside CB, the Defense was mostly the same as well, and Revis and Cro weren't that great in 2015 despite the idolworship.

Same way Geno supporters love to downplay that 95% of the Offense roster was exactly the same for Fitz as it was for Geno.

Marshall was a very good low-cost addition, an older, slightly declining player who found some new life here in the Chan system with Fitz throwing to him.

We'll see how much life he has left under Geno Smith now, right?  Proof will clear for one and all to see.  

I'm guessing if it's not so good, the narrative of the same old folks here will quickly shift to how Marshall and Decker were over the hill, and how unfair it was to have Geno not get a fair chance because he had no talent around him in 2016.:rolleyes:

Decker played as many snaps under Geno as he did under Smith, and he was injured at times in both years.  

Clearly I've been thinking about this all wrong, where can i sign up to get my "It's So Unfair, Finally Get some Talent For Geno in 2020!" T-Shirt? 

the roster of the O's were not close to the same.  even if it was only adding Marshall(which it wasn't) that alone would be a HUGE difference but we had a healthy Decker, Carpenter on the OL, the emergence of powell, the new OC.  it was night and day difference from 2014 to 2015.

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Again, there were a litany of factors involved in the Jets going from 4-12 and to 10-6, and your position is to minimize every single one of them with the exception of free agent super QB Ryan Fitzpatrick. How is it that the rest of the league can't see what a difference maker this guy is? 

Basically you can't cop out on injuries if the guy was on the field and Decker was in 2014. Since every player on the field has injuries. Plus we had Amaro who was a contributor and I think led NFL rookie tight ends in receiving stats. And one of the reasons Marshall played so well was that he worked so well with the Qb. I am shocked that people are actually defending Geno. One of the reasons Idzik was run out of town was because he drafted Geno. 

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

I will be interesting to see how he does in Denver.

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

I think he has a chance as a very basic game manager. But as soon as the turnovers start accumulating Elway will pull him. 

Hmmm, this gives me an idea.  Even though I think Sanchez will do well in Denver, there is an argument for signing Fitz.  Not for 7.  But if he caves in and accepts 5, we have trade bait.  

Some other team has an injury or whatever and needs a QB.  We could trade Fitz for a 4th rounder.

4 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I think he has a chance as a very basic game manager. But as soon as the turnovers start accumulating Elway will pull him. 

Opinions on John Elway...

When trading up to draft Paxton Lynch after the Jets passed on him? Genius!

When sticking with Mark Sanchez as his presumptive starter rather than offering Ryan Fitzpatrick anything? Crickets. 

3 hours ago, slats said:

No one else is offering Fitz either $10M/year or a starting job. The idea that the Jets should up their current offer, whatever it is, because other teams have overpaid QBs is ridiculous. We're talking about a QB who's been a free agent for months. Guys like Osweiler and Daniel were in demand, and signed accordingly. Ryan Fitzpatrick is not in demand, and hasn't been all off season. His value is not that of an NFL starter, it's that of a street free agent in May. 

Fitz' choices are to take what the Jets are offering or retire. He's free to do whichever he wants, afaic. 

Dude its 3 million more. Who gives a sh*t..  Teams cut players and eat tons more in salary just to get rid of someone they cant stand.  3 million more is peanuts to Woody.  Deductive reasoning, as you like to use, suggests that if you are paying an average backup QB like Daniels 7 million, then its only justified Fitz be paid more to start.  10 million is fair. Yes the Jets are the only ones interested in Fitz as a starter.  Just because they are the only one doesn't mean he shouldn't get paid a fair price above an average backup QB.  If Fitz caves in and Mac gets his way that's fine.  All I am contesting is a few mill more isn't going to break Woody's bank account or be a big deal with this team's budget.  It is, after all, the most important position in the game.       

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Manipulation again. 

We love to downplay how 95% of the offensive roster was exactly the same? No. That offensive roster wasnt the same at all.

Last year Geno didnt have a #1 receiver because Decker played the #1 role last season. And outside of Decker being hurt for most of the season, the guy simply isnt a #1, but a #2. 

Fitz had Marshall, a top 5 #1 WR in the league before the season even started. 

Geno  didnt have a #2 WR last year. Geno had Steven Hill as his #2, a certified bust in this league. 

Fitz had Decker, a top 5 #2 WR in the league. 

Geno had Brian Winters at LG last year

Fitz had probowl caliber LG James Carpenter

So, Geno Smith didnt have a top 5 #1 WR, didnt have a top 5 #2 WR, and didnt have a probowl caliber LG 

As for your Marshall comment, this slightly declining player had arguably his best season of his career in a Chan Gailey system Something that Geno didnt have last year either. 

And though Marshall may be one man, just to show you how important he was to the offense.Ryan Fitzpatrick threw 31TD's and Marshall had 14 of them. That 1 guy accounted for almost 50% of the offensive points in the passing game. That's how important he was. 

Funny how you didnt talk about the defense though. 

What did Fitz have that Geno didnt? I bet this wont be 95% either lol. Lets start with Geno. 

CB1: Dee Milliner Injured 

CB2: Dimitri Paterson AWOL, never even played

CB3: Kyle Wilson, Bust

FS: Calvin Pryor, Rookie playing out of position

SS: Antonio Allen, benched

ROLB: Quinton Coples, a 4-3 DE/DT Rex tried to convert into a 3-4 ROLB

What did Fitz have? 

CB1: Darrelle Revis Pro Bowler

CB2: Cromartie, Better than being AWOL 

CB3 Buster Skrine, massive upgrade

FS, Marcus Ghilchrist, The best FS since Kerry Rhodes

SS, Calvin Pryor, Playing at natural position and instantly became one of the best young SS in the league. 

ROLB, Lorenzo Mauldin, Rookie season was arguably better than any season Coples put together at ROLB. 

What did Geno have as a coach? Rex Ryan. What did that do for the offense?????? Also Rex most of the time could never make halftime adjustments in his 6 years. 

Fitz? Todd Bowles, what was the first thing Todd did? Hired Chan Gailey for the offense! What did Bowles do his 1st season? Got the Jets a winning record for the first time in almost 5 years and we were 3 FItzpatrick INT's away from a playoff birth. 

Stop it.

2 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Dude its 3 million more. Who gives a sh*t..  Teams cut players and eat tons more in salary just to get rid of someone they cant stand.  3 million more is peanuts to Woody.  Deductive reasoning, as you like to use, suggests that if you are paying an average backup QB like Daniels 7 million, then its only justified Fitz be paid more to start.  10 million is fair. Yes the Jets are the only ones interested in Fitz as a starter.  Just because they are the only one doesn't mean he shouldn't get paid a fair price above an average backup QB.  If Fitz caves in and Mac gets his way that's fine.  All I am contesting is a few mill more isn't going to break Woody's bank account or be a big deal with this team's budget.  It is, after all, the most important position in the game.       

I don't believe that Fitz brings $7M worth of value over Geno, let alone $10M. That's $10M that has to be moved into future years, $10M less the Jets will have to spend on future contributors. And bringing back Fitz would mean either trying to stash Petty or cutting Geno (which I know you don't mind, but I see as a potential comp pick). All for a QB I have no faith in once the weather starts getting a little breezy. 

I'd rather save the money, keep the prospect, and get the comp pick down the road. Fitz is still a free agent today because he's not worth $10M. At all. 

33 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Basically you can't cop out on injuries if the guy was on the field and Decker was in 2014. Since every player on the field has injuries. Plus we had Amaro who was a contributor and I think led NFL rookie tight ends in receiving stats. And one of the reasons Marshall played so well was that he worked so well with the Qb. I am shocked that people are actually defending Geno. One of the reasons Idzik was run out of town was because he drafted Geno. 

15 minutes ago, slats said:

I don't believe that Fitz brings $7M worth of value over Geno, let alone $10M. That's $10M that has to be moved into future years, $10M less the Jets will have to spend on future contributors. And bringing back Fitz would mean either trying to stash Petty or cutting Geno (which I know you don't mind, but I see as a potential comp pick). All for a QB I have no faith in once the weather starts getting a little breezy. 

I'd rather save the money, keep the prospect, and get the comp pick down the road. Fitz is still a free agent today because he's not worth $10M. At all. 

Look Geno is on a rookie contract. So you really can't compare his salary to what Fitz would play for in 2016. As for value. Well Mac can go with Geno if he wants to save money. I don't think he will do that. It would be suicidal! 

8 minutes ago, slats said:

As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  The players would be extremely disappointed if Fitz didn't come back.  The fans wouldn't take it well either. And there really isn't a QB that plays all that well in 'breezy weather' so you can take that little idiom and stash it since it holds no ice water.  Tyron didn't exactly fling the ball all over the place in game 17.  Sign Fitz, cut Geno and go with the kids as the backups.  :comb:  Here's a list of the all time top cold weather QB's, most of which are in the Hall Of Fame.  As you see, its a rarity and a unique skill to play in -10 degrees.

http://www.footballnation.com/content/the-big-chill-greatest-cold-weather-qbs/7270/

13 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Look Geno is on a rookie contract. So you really can't compare his salary to what Fitz would play for in 2016. As for value. Well Mac can go with Geno if he wants to save money. I don't think he will do that. It would be suicidal! 

Again, why?  I will ask it again, if he some how managed as a rookie to win 8 games, is it so outside the realm of possibility that he win 5-8 games with a much better team and CS??  

15 minutes ago, Powpow said:

As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  The players would be extremely disappointed if Fitz didn't come back.  The fans wouldn't take it well either. And there really isn't a QB that plays all that well in 'breezy weather' so you can take that little idiom and stash it since it holds no ice water.  Tyron didn't exactly fling the ball all over the place in game 17.  Sign Fitz, cut Geno and go with the kids as the backups.  :comb:  Here's a list of the all time top cold weather QB's, most of which are in the Hall Of Fame.  As you see, its a rarity and a unique skill to play in -10 degrees.

http://www.footballnation.com/content/the-big-chill-greatest-cold-weather-qbs/7270/

I continue to not believe that Fitz makes a big difference in wins and losses over Geno next year, and continue to prefer they save their money. Also don't believe the front office should be in the business of pleasing the players or the fans in the short term over building for the long term. And building for the long term means evaluating young players, acquiring comp picks, and conserving money for players that will help the team beyond 2016. 

As for playing in -10F, lol. I don't think the temperature dipped below 50° for Fitz last year, but I was talking about a little wind. Guy had the weakest arm in the league. Just another reason he's still a free agent. 

22 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Of course I can. If Fitz was under contract for $5M or less this year, I'd be like, meh. Probably want Geno to have a legitimate shot to win the job, but honestly wouldn't expect that. But Fitz isn't under contract, and $10M is an awful lot of money for what he brings to the table. Especially when we're basically talking about a one year rental for a career journeyman. 

Disagree on the suicide. As I've said, I'd expect similar win-loss results. I also like the idea of a stronger armed QB helping to develop guys like Devin Smith and Peake, players that Fitzpatrick just simply can't take advantage of. 

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Of course I can. If Fitz was under contract for $5M or less this year, I'd be like, meh. Probably want Geno to have a legitimate shot to win the job, but honestly wouldn't expect that. But Fitz isn't under contract, and $10M is an awful lot of money for what he brings to the table. Especially when we're basically talking about a one year rental for a career journeyman. 

Disagree on the suicide. As I've said, I'd expect similar win-loss results. I also like the idea of a stronger armed QB helping to develop guys like Devin Smith and Peake, players that Fitzpatrick just simply can't take advantage of. 

Goodbye Idzik and goodbye Mac if hello Geno.

Archived