Jets' Darron Lee: 'Sucks' to play back-to-back special teams, but good cardio

Gas2No99

Jets' Darron Lee: 'Sucks' to play back-to-back special teams, but good cardio

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2016%2F0812%2Fr112932_1

Jets rookie outside linebacker Darron Lee on his NFL debut: "It was a lot of fun." AP Photo/Bill Kostroun

• cimini_rich_m.jpg&w=80&h=80&scale=crop
    enRichly inCimini-atedESPN Staff Writer
  •  

About 30 minutes after his first professional game, first-round pick Darron Lee offered a blunt assessment of the NFL experience.

"Going back-to-back on special teams sucks," the New York Jets rookie said Thursday night. "If you want some good cardio, I suggest everybody try that."

No thanks, Darron, we'll stick to the boring treadmill.

Lee played a lot of football in the Jets' 17-13 win against the Jacksonville Jaguars (38 snaps on defense, 13 on special teams), and he was drained afterward. Presumably, he didn't play special teams at Ohio State, so the extra work probably was new to him.

"It was a lot of fun," he said of his debut. "I'm pretty tired from special teams, I'm not going to lie. But, according to everybody else, that's what a rookie has to do. I have to keep running down on special teams but still go out and make plays, regardless if you're winded."

He's learning quickly.

Lee didn't start on defense, but he replaced Erin Henderson in the first quarter and was credited with four tackles, one sack and one tackle for loss. The sack was a cheapie (he fell on Chad Henne as he stumbled forward) and he was unblocked on the tackle behind the line, but Lee did enough to catch his coach's eye.

"I saw him make some tackles, but I need to see exactly how, whether he scraped correctly and all those things," Todd Bowles said. "But he flashed quite a bit."

It will be interesting to see how the Jets use Lee in the regular season. At 6-foot-1, 232 pounds, he's undersized to be an in-the-box thumper, but he could be deployed in a hybrid role. He can rush the passer, drop into coverage and walk out to cover a receiver in a man-to-man situation. My prediction: His success as a rookie will be tied to the coaches' creativity.

One thing he'd better get used to: special teams.

22 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

"I saw him make some tackles, but I need to see exactly how, whether he scraped correctly and all those things," Todd Bowles said. "But he flashed quite a bit."

Wow. So different than the way Rex would talk about a player who filled the stat sheet in preseason.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Our #1 draft pick playing special teams ](*,)

If he doesn't want to play special teams then he needs to dominate in his time on defense so that he can take over as a starter. Tough to have  a super fast,  athletic kid playing back up lber and not play special teams.  

13 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

We picked a player with our #1 pick to play special teams............sheesh 

Yeah..I was surprised to see that he played ST, too. I know rooks play ST, but first rounders? I suspect he won't be there long when he starts making 12+ tackles a game.

5 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Our #1 draft pick playing special teams ](*,)

4 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

We picked a player with our #1 pick to play special teams............sheesh 

11-MikeNugent.jpg

Says hello . . . . :P

Archived