Geno Smith losing Ground to Petty?

Charlie Brown

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Believe it or not, you actually proved his point with your comment on what the media "would do". Reread his comment and your response again. You said it yourself

Um, they DID have a story, or a follow up to a story 1 year ago. Its pretty basic.

For Geno to NOT speak on ........oh maybe his growth or maturization one year later from this incident is kinda odd. One would think he would WANT to put his best foot forward in this instance.

2 hours ago, FloridaJetsFan said:

Were you having a stroke when you posted this? I read it 3 times and couldn't figure out what the hell you were trying to say, and I think English is my first language ... but I could be wrong.

I was thinking similar thoughts....

One quarterback is under contract beyond this season, the other is not. If it's close and the Jets do not want to carry four quarterbacks on the roster, then letting go of Geno makes sense.

Let's see how the the rest of camp and the remaining preseason games play out.

7 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

The media reaches and will continue to put Geno in the ground for not wanting to participate in their "1 year anniversary" nonsense. The media controls the narrative. Just a week or two ago Marshall was pissed and kicked a football into the stands and wanted to slam his helmet but couldnt get it off his head to do so. Seems like that's what football players do when they are not getting it done on a particular day. 

part of being a QB is keeping your cool ...Geno needs to just calm down and play football and stop letting the media idiots run his life. If Petty is pushing Geno then Geno needs to step it up and forget the off field distractions.

Next 2-3 weeks will intriguing, to say the least, for this #2 spot. 

i think Geno will lock it up, but I will NOT be surprised if the job is Pettys heading into the regular season. I'm really excited about the fact that Petty has shown improvement and growth in the early going. 

I'm really excited that we have a HC in charge that will remain neutral until a decision needs to be made 3 weeks from now, instead of a HC that will declare a winner just for the sake of showing support for a player. Bowles (and, I guess Mac to a smaller extent) will let the situation develop before declaring a winner, which is a very refreshing change. 

Bryce Petty just may be the starter on the Jets next season. He is the only QB with any NFL experience signed to the roster next season. The Jets need a good look at his body of work. I said this earlier on another thread, it would be great if QB becomes a strength of the Jets.

2016 is way different than any Jets camp that I can remember for a long time. The competition for back up QB is more intense than the starting QB. If I were Geno I would be making moves for the starting QB position.

9 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Funny thing is that almost any other QB having the same day such as Fitz would bting about comments like:

:"Fitz just won't accept failure"

"Fitz just shows passion that Geno does not have, clearly Geno does not get it"

"Fitz showing everyone they are held to a higher standard"

"Fitz showing raw emotion and how important football is to him"

And on and on and on.

Im not really following the logic here of what any of this post has to do with Fitzpatrick.

4 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

Bryce Petty just may be the starter on the Jets next season. He is the only QB with any NFL experience signed to the roster next season. The Jets need a good look at his body of work. I said this earlier on another thread, it would be great if QB becomes a strength of the Jets.

2016 is way different than any Jets camp that I can remember for a long time. The competition for back up QB is more intense than the starting QB. If I were Geno I would be making moves for the starting QB position.

What team?

8 hours ago, BUM-KNEE said:

Um, they DID have a story, or a follow up to a story 1 year ago. Its pretty basic.

For Geno to NOT speak on ........oh maybe his growth or maturization one year later from this incident is kinda odd. One would think he would WANT to put his best foot forward in this instance.

This has nothing to do with what was initially said. People seriously need to slow down and comprehend what was said. No one said a thing about what Geno should or shouldnt do, but rather what he didnt do.. No one said anything about the media not having a story, but rather their tendency to skew and/or inflame their stories. 

I dont see it as odd that Geno decided not to participate in the bread and circuses passed off as journalism. Seems pretty mature to me. 

8 minutes ago, faba said:

A good part of being successful QB in the NFL is to have thick skin and especially more in New York/ New Jersey. Expect pot shots from allover no matter who you are- much less Geno

This is so true. Reading some of the posters here, you would think that they have not seen the media at play before, and this is all about Geno. This is just how it is. Look at what Eli Manning got early in his career, even during his SB year in 2007 he was getting killed daily by the papers, the radio stations and the fans.

People need to stop making Geno out to be a victim, Geno does too.

8 minutes ago, FreindlyFellow said:

This is so true. Reading some of the posters here, you would think that they have not seen the media at play before, and this is all about Geno. This is just how it is. Look at what Eli Manning got early in his career, even during his SB year in 2007 he was getting killed daily by the papers, the radio stations and the fans.

People need to stop making Geno out to be a victim, Geno does too.

and now those same writers are telling us Eli is a Hall of famer which is ridiculous.

35 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

and now those same writers are telling us Eli is a Hall of famer which is ridiculous.

Yup, its really amazing how the anti-Fitzpatrick agenda has somehow turned Geno into a victim. People need to get a grip and separate Fitzpatrick and Geno, they have nothing to do with one another other than being 1-2 on the depth chart for the Jets this year, one being good or bad has nothing to do with the other being good or bad.

6 minutes ago, FreindlyFellow said:

Yup, its really amazing how the anti-Fitzpatrick agenda has somehow turned Geno into a victim. People need to get a grip and separate Fitzpatrick and Geno, they have nothing to do with one another other than being 1-2 on the depth chart for the Jets this year, one being good or bad has nothing to do with the other being good or bad.

Yeah, because understanding how crappy the media treated Eli for 90% of his career before crowning him a HOF'er is now considered part of the "anti-Fitz agenda" when also understanding how crappy the media is treating Geno with their inflamed stories while even getting caught lying in some of their coverage today. 

Logicz. 

15 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Yeah, because understanding how crappy the media treated Eli for 90% of his career before crowning him a HOF'er is now considered part of the "anti-Fitz agenda" when also understanding how crappy the media is treating Geno with their inflamed stories while even getting caught lying in some of their coverage today. 

Logicz. 

Eli Manning won 2 Super Bowls despite the criticism.  Just because the media is mean doesn't mean a QB can't have success in NYC.  Just have to have thick skin.

21 minutes ago, FreindlyFellow said:

fitzpatrick wouldn't boycott the media.  geno hasn't learned.  the point is not whether the ny post creates stories.  the point is that geno can't rise above it.

there may be a place for him in the nfl, perhaps as a career backup.  but it shouldn't be in a major market like ny.  he still can't handle it.

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Eli Manning won 2 Super Bowls despite the criticism.  Just because the media is mean doesn't mean a QB can't have success in NYC.  Just have to have thick skin.

What Eli did despite the criticism isnt the subject. Also, no one said that a player couldnt have success despite what the media does. 

This thread is based on what the media wrote. Maybe we should all have thick skin if thats the case (me included) and stop participating in creating 20 page threads everytime the media writes something this bogus. The fact that Geno decided not to participate in fueling the stories shows that he's making an attempt to ignore it...a sign of thick skin. 

Maybe the Media will get the point and begin writing things about the progress of the team. 

8 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

fitzpatrick wouldn't boycott the media.  geno hasn't learned.  the point is not whether the ny post creates stories.  the point is that geno can't rise above it.

there may be a place for him in the nfl, perhaps as a career backup.  but it shouldn't be in a major market like ny.  he still can't handle it.

It's hard to say what Fitz would/wouldnt do. He's not in those shoes. 

10 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

So we know have camp scouts Zack Braziller?  who professionally grade players based on camp play hard pressed to judge any player based on training camp what the hell this hate for Geno Smith is bad worse than anyone thought all towards a guy who never did a damn thing to Jets fans or the organization. Sheesh 

Charlie Brown :rolleyes:

Should reporters to go camp and not report what they see?

I think there is some truth that the coaching staff wants to see more of what they have in Petty since he and our rookie will be the only QBs under contract next year.  That should involve him working with the 2s and seeing extensive time in preseason.  I dont think this means that Geno is being demoted to #3.  Of course all these reps at #2 will hamper Geno if he gets thrust into action early in the season.  Overall, this preseason is about 3 things when it comes to QB:

1. get fitz ready for Cincy

2. evaluate Petty as a future starter

3. have Geno ready to step in for emergency duty

I think that is the order, currently.

12 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Ok so the headline maybe a little over the top. But just some.

As someone who thought that Geno might dramatically improve I was actually surprised by this report.

Indeed a couple of us actually speculated that Petty was overtaking Geno but I just thought that was in part just the typical Geno hate out here.  But guess what?

You may be right after all!!

Read this about today's practice....

http://nypost.com/2016/08/16/geno-smith-is-losing-it-at-jets-camp/

Geno Smith is losing it at Jets camp

Geno Smith’s uneven summer continued Tuesday, with the backup quarterback struggling so mightily during practice that he slammed his helmet to the ground. Smith was almost intercepted multiple times, was inaccurate and fumbled a few snaps.

Smith again declined to speak to reporters following several stories early last week, including one in The Post, about the one-year anniversary of his jaw getting broken by IK Enemkpali. Smith was booed in the preseason opener Thursday against the Jaguars, and declined to be interviewed afterward, a violation of NFL policy.

On Sunday, he tweeted: “If they don’t have a story these days, they’ll make one.”

in-art-countdown-icon-128x128x3s.gif?d=1
–– ADVERTISEMENT ––
opt-out-icon2.png

Smith received less reps than fellow quarterback Bryce Petty, but coach Todd Bowles said that was more to get a better look at Petty. On Saturday, Bowles said there is no competition for the backup job behind starter Ryan Fitzpatrick.

“We like to mix and match people to see how they match up and play,” Bowles said, referring to Petty getting more reps than Smith. “A lot of guys are put first, second and third team. That doesn’t mean anything.”

Bowles said all four quarterbacks “have to be ready to play” in Friday’s second preseason game against the Redskins, but he wouldn’t reveal his plans for the game as of yet.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So there we have it Petty is liked more than most of us thought or maybe Geno wont be able to get it done in New York at all but one bad practice isn't everything, is it?

Or is it as usual the NY media making something outa nothing.......

ya over top thread title, but appears the slow burn of fadeout started. If Petty shows any signs of great playbook knowledge (Game Manager at worst) he may over take. if he also shows Progression Read capability, its a slamdunk he wins #2 job. IMHO of course.

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Holy crap, that dude is out of his friggin mind. I am so glad I have him on ignore..... Is there anyway to also block peoples replies to him when they quote him??

7 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

What Eli did despite the criticism isnt the subject. Also, no one said that a player couldnt have success despite what the media does. 

This thread is based on what the media wrote. Maybe we should all have thick skin if thats the case (me included) and stop participating in creating 20 page threads everytime the media writes something this bogus. The fact that Geno decided not to participate in fueling the stories shows that he's making an attempt to ignore it...a sign of thick skin. 

Maybe the Media will get the point and begin writing things about the progress of the team. 

completely disagree.  geno boycotted the media the other day.  usually the media gets revenge by writing stuff.  he created this.  he threw his helmet down in practice.  he brings it on himself.

11 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

It's kind of hard for me to take Casserly seriously. The last time I saw him on camera he was goofing around and acting like a clown. And all through the Fitz non signing he was obviously backing up Mac and the Jets org over Fitz and look at the results. The amount of money Fitz asked for two months earlier they could have signed him for. Not a big pay day for Fitz, less guaranteed money as mentioned a deal that could have been signed much earlier. But the Jets played hardball and it was stupid. It didn't help the team at all and didn't save them money. The fans can boo Geno if they want to boo him. He's not the best backup but he might be in the top half maybe top ten. 

He hand picked your GM and Head Coach.

lmfao

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

completely disagree.  geno boycotted the media the other day.  usually the media gets revenge by writing stuff.  he created this.  he threw his helmet down in practice.  he brings it on himself.

no, your missing the point, the whole world is out to get Geno, its this huge conspiracy theory. Geno is just going about his life doing everything right, and all the haters of this world are bringing him down. Geno has no responsibility for any of it, zilch, zero, none. Its really up to everyone else around him to stop what they are doing, not Geno......

I am pretty sure if not for everyone out there trying to keep Geno down, he would be Aaron Rodgers right now.

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

You can disagree. 

Whether he boycotted or not you were going to hear about the "1 year anniversary". So whether he participated or not, you were going to get it. 

You call it bringing it on yourself, I call it the Media controlling how you ultimately view him whether he participates or not. 

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

You can disagree. 

Whether he boycotted or not you was going to hear about the "1 year anniversary". So whether he participated or not, you were going to get it. 

You call it bringing it on yourself, I call it the Media controlling how you ultimately view him whether he participates or not. 

show me another qb who boycotts the media.  what aspiring starting nfl qb behaves this way?

Archived