Hackenberg to.. IR ? ? ?

kelly

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, David Harris said:

It's remarkable how Mehta and Cimini troll these message boards for their articles. I mean I guess I'd do it too. It's basically a free think tank for content. 

I've been assuming GasNo99 is Connor Hughes while Cimini is Kelly. Cimini's a weirdo

Yeah, I'm not sure Manish thought this one through.  Since Hackenberg is a rookie, he would have to pass through waivers first, and if it's a false injury, then some team will claim him for free essentially, and keep him as a 3rd QB.  I believe the Patriots screwed over some team a couple of years ago, taking advantage of this.   

Hackenberg is pretty much a lock to make the roster, because I doubt they'll give up the second round pick so quickly.  It's why they aren't even bringing him in games, because it doesn't matter what he does, his spot is safe.  It's really picking Geno/Petty or staying with 4 QBs that needs to be sorted out.  

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/08/what_does_jets_qb_coach_kevin_patullo_think_of_chr.html#incart_river_index

FLORHAM PARK — Jets quarterbacks coach Kevin Patullo may see more of Christian Hackenberg than the rookie's bathroom mirror. 

Patullo is with Hackenberg in meetings, film room sessions and on the practice field. Even in between plays, it's almost impossible to find the two separated. 

So what does Patullo think of Hackenberg's development to this point in training camp?

"He's not really behind or ahead [of where we thought he'd be]," Patullo said on Wednesday. "We try to coach him up as best as we can when he's out there." 

Hackenberg's rookie campaign has been a bit different than most second-round picks. The Jets have been incredibly cautious with their hopeful quarterback of the future. Instead of bombarding him with playing time, he watches more than he plays. Hackenberg has received minimal reps in practice — although he's been getting more this week — and has not taken a snap in either of the Jets' two preseason games. 

When Hackenberg has been on the field, it hasn't been pretty. In practice Sunday and Monday, he unofficially completed just 7 of 23 passes and threw two interceptions. 

"He's your typical rookie right now," Patullo said. "He's swimming a little bit with the defensive looks and terminology, then piecing it all together. He's your typical rookie right now in learning it all as fast as he can. He's doing well. He's working hard and doing all he can. He's a hard-working kid. That's all we can ask for." 

At Penn State, Hackenberg's accuracy was one of the things critics criticized the most. He had a completion percentage of just 56.3 during his three years as a starter, including a career-low 53.5 percent as a junior in 2015. 

Instead of attempting to fix Hackenberg's mechanics (the assumed reason for poor accuracy) this year, the team is waiting until the offseason. There isn't enough time to tackle that yet, according to offensive coordinator Chan Gailey. The Jets just want Hackenberg to get comfortable within the offense. 

"You want to be careful," Patullo said. "He's doing a lot. He's trying to learn the playbook, defenses, what he sees and how to react. In golf, you don't want to change your swing midseason."

In time, Hackenberg will get the playbook down. There's no doubt about it. The real question is when Jets' coaches start focusing on fixing his mechanics, will Hackenberg need a complete overhaul, or slight tweak?

"We're not trying to get into that right now," Patullo said. "We're just trying to see where he is at, what he knows, and stuff like that."

6 minutes ago, KRL said:

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/08/what_does_jets_qb_coach_kevin_patullo_think_of_chr.html#incart_river_index

FLORHAM PARK — Jets quarterbacks coach Kevin Patullo may see more of Christian Hackenberg than the rookie's bathroom mirror. 

Patullo is with Hackenberg in meetings, film room sessions and on the practice field. Even in between plays, it's almost impossible to find the two separated. 

So what does Patullo think of Hackenberg's development to this point in training camp?

"He's not really behind or ahead [of where we thought he'd be]," Patullo said on Wednesday. "We try to coach him up as best as we can when he's out there." 

Hackenberg's rookie campaign has been a bit different than most second-round picks. The Jets have been incredibly cautious with their hopeful quarterback of the future. Instead of bombarding him with playing time, he watches more than he plays. Hackenberg has received minimal reps in practice — although he's been getting more this week — and has not taken a snap in either of the Jets' two preseason games. 

When Hackenberg has been on the field, it hasn't been pretty. In practice Sunday and Monday, he unofficially completed just 7 of 23 passes and threw two interceptions. 

"He's your typical rookie right now," Patullo said. "He's swimming a little bit with the defensive looks and terminology, then piecing it all together. He's your typical rookie right now in learning it all as fast as he can. He's doing well. He's working hard and doing all he can. He's a hard-working kid. That's all we can ask for." 

At Penn State, Hackenberg's accuracy was one of the things critics criticized the most. He had a completion percentage of just 56.3 during his three years as a starter, including a career-low 53.5 percent as a junior in 2015. 

Instead of attempting to fix Hackenberg's mechanics (the assumed reason for poor accuracy) this year, the team is waiting until the offseason. There isn't enough time to tackle that yet, according to offensive coordinator Chan Gailey. The Jets just want Hackenberg to get comfortable within the offense. 

"You want to be careful," Patullo said. "He's doing a lot. He's trying to learn the playbook, defenses, what he sees and how to react. In golf, you don't want to change your swing midseason."

In time, Hackenberg will get the playbook down. There's no doubt about it. The real question is when Jets' coaches start focusing on fixing his mechanics, will Hackenberg need a complete overhaul, or slight tweak?

"We're not trying to get into that right now," Patullo said. "We're just trying to see where he is at, what he knows, and stuff like that."

I mean FFS. Release him and put him on the practice squad. No one's putting him on their 53.

51 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I mean FFS. Release him and put him on the practice squad. No one's putting him on their 53.

Guess you would have released Brady instead of overhauling his mechanics.  And gave him a year to learn.

You know so we can keep a sixth or seven WR that will n vet be as important as a QB.  Why develop one? 

And why keep,crying to cut him in every thread that has the name Hackenberg in it.  He's not getting cut, it's not happening, 

-- The re-making of Christian Hackenberg won't happen overnight. It could take at least a year.

"It's like a golfer," New York Jets quarterbacks coach Kevin Patullo said Wednesday. "You don't want to change his swing midseason."

The Jets have acknowledged that Hackenberg needs to tinker with his swing, meaning his throwing mechanics. They won't get into specifics, but people who have studied the rookie believe he tends to over stride, causing his passes to sail. He struggled with his accuracy last season at Penn State, but the Jets saw enough potential to draft him in the second round.They're taking a conservative approach with Hackenberg, currently the fourth quarterback on a four-man depth chart. Of the 15 quarterbacks drafted in April, he's the only one who hasn't appeared in a preseason game. Essentially, this will be a redshirt year. They will stash him at the bottom of the 53-man roster, hoping to develop him over the long term.

Offensive coordinator Chan Gailey, who has made a career of fixing quarterbacks, believes it takes at least a year to change a passer's mechanics. The Jets are in no hurry to start that process; it may not happen until next offseason."You want to be careful," Patullo said. "He's got a lot [on his plate]. He's trying to learn the playbook, he's trying to learn defenses -- what he sees and how to react. ... I think he understands certain things he needs to work on. He's a hard-working kid."

Asked if Hackenberg needs a complete overhaul, Patullo said, "That's not something we're going to get into right now. We're just trying to see where he's at, what he knows."

You don't need to be a quarterback guru to know Hackenberg is struggling on the practice field. He looks mechanical with his footwork and his throws are all over the strike zone, many of them out of the zone. Hey, it happens to rookies. Hackenberg is drawing more attention than usual because of his draft status and the team's crowded quarterback situation. Plus, he plays in the quarterback-obsessed New York market.

"He's working hard," Patullo said. "He's your typical rookie right now. They're all swimming a little bit."

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62440/jets-coach-on-christian-hackenberg-cant-change-golfers-swing-in-season

Thanks for posting KRL I have been dying to know some insight into how they're approaching Hackenberg's makeover. I'm surprised all the other stuff is coming before footwork and mechanics. What's the point of learning reading defenses first if you don't know how to throw the ball properly. And if it takes a whole year why not start there, it's not like he's going into a game  ever (this season). 

I remember pictures from camp with 3 QBs working on footwork simultaneously. Sanchez and McElroy were in step together and Geno was out of step all bumbling and uncoordinated. I would think they would do something like that. 

I don't follow college ball, but I did watch that video of Gruden's camp with Hackenberg, and the main negative take on his Penn State career focused on what happened when O'Brien left.  Gruden sort of got Hackenberg, who didn't want to seem critical at first, to say that the CS made him change his stance, putting his right leg back instead of his left as he had done the year he had all that success with O'Brien.  They didn't get into why, or speculating why, and then went on to sort of imply that Hack would go back to his comfort zone with his original stance.

Has he changed his stance in camp?  I haven't seen whether or not.

13 hours ago, Xtina said:

Thanks for posting KRL I have been dying to know some insight into how they're approaching Hackenberg's makeover. I'm surprised all the other stuff is coming before footwork and mechanics. What's the point of learning reading defenses first if you don't know how to throw the ball properly. And if it takes a whole year why not start there, it's not like he's going into a game  ever (this season). 

I remember pictures from camp with 3 QBs working on footwork simultaneously. Sanchez and McElroy were in step together and Geno was out of step all bumbling and uncoordinated. I would think they would do something like that. 

Probably time. I'm sure they have him doing minor tweaks, but the coaches have to get everyone ready for the season and Patullo and Gailey can't really spent extra time in training camp fixing our 4th QB's mechanics. I actually like that they're doing it this way. Let him learn the playbook and pro defenses now, thats the hardest part mentally. After a full season watching and learning, he can work on his mechanics in Feb up until training camp, and hopefully be much improved. 

The mechanics isn't so much a mental aspect as it is just time consuming and repetitious, very time consuming. I guess the coaching staff feels the time right now is better used to learn the pro game, then work on your fundamentals when you have more time in the off season. Apply the new/improved mechanics with what you've learned by next training camp. Hack won't be competing for starter position until 2018-2019. 

14 hours ago, Xtina said:

If I had to guess, I'd say that it's probably really, really hard to try to pick up two new things at once (mechanics & playbook), and that changes to mechanics require real confidence (if you don't like the results after the change, you're likely to slip back into old habits).  So if they can only have him do one thing first, they want him picking up the playbook.  Better that he know where he should be going with the ball (and have mistakes getting it there that they can correct later) than that he be able to put the ball where he wants it and have him throwing to the wrong spots.  That leads to interceptions and incompletions that could shake his confidence in the mechanics.

Just a thought

Are we going to have to wait an entire season to see New York Jets second-round pick Christian Hackenberg ?

On Wednesday, the team's quarterbacks coach, Kevin Patullo, compared Hackenberg's throw to a golf swing -- and one that isn't necessarily efficient at the moment.

"It's like a golfer," Patullo said Wednesday, via ESPN.com. "You don't want to change his swing midseason."

ESPN added :

(The Jets) won't get into specifics, but people who have studied the rookie believe he tends to over stride, causing his passes to sail. He struggled with his accuracy last season at Penn State, but the Jets saw enough potential to draft him in the second round.

"That's not something we're going to get into right now," Patullo said. "We're just trying to see where he's at, what he knows."

Hackenberg hasn't seen any preseason action while the Jets sort out their four-headed monster of a quarterback situation. Geno Smith and Ryan Fitzpatrick will take a lion's share of the action this weekend against the New York Giants with Bryce Petty likely getting one more shot to unseat Smith from the backup job. Barring a trade, either Smith or Petty is going to have to go unless one of the four players winds up on injured reserve due to a preseason injury a'la Mark Sanchez.

But if the Jets knew Hackenberg's mechanics were off -- his completion percentage dropped every season in college since a freshman campaign that had him being compared to Andrew Luck -- they must have seen him loaded with potential in all other facets of the game to gum up their depth chart with a project pick.Changing a quarterback's throwing mechanics can be a fool's errand at times, with many coaches advocating for a motion that feels natural. However it turns out, it would seem to be impossible for the Jets to make any future plans about Hackenberg and him potentially taking over the job from Fitzpatrick next season.

>    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000689934/article/christian-hackenbergs-throw-a-work-in-progress

3 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Probably time. I'm sure they have him doing minor tweaks, but the coaches have to get everyone ready for the season and Patullo and Gailey can't really spent extra time in training camp fixing our 4th QB's mechanics. I actually like that they're doing it this way. Let him learn the playbook and pro defenses now, thats the hardest part mentally. After a full season watching and learning, he can work on his mechanics in Feb up until training camp, and hopefully be much improved. 

The mechanics isn't so much a mental aspect as it is just time consuming and repetitious, very time consuming. I guess the coaching staff feels the time right now is better used to learn the pro game, then work on your fundamentals when you have more time in the off season. Apply the new/improved mechanics with what you've learned by next training camp. Hack won't be competing for starter position until 2018-2019. 

I'm not pointing to you on this - because it's what the team is basically saying...but that's ridiculous.  Hire someone to do it.  Hire a second QB coach, hire a personal footwork coach - If you want to treat him like a baby then make sure he has a full time nanny....you don't draft a project 2nd round QB and treat him like a typical 4th stringer.  

mid-season as they call it - which in case they didn't notice...it's pre-season...the ideal time to make changes. 

You can't learn the playbook and defenses AND work on your footwork and delivery?  I mean if this kid can't work on those two things at once then I find it amazing they would have even considered drafting him.

58 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm not pointing to you on this - because it's what the team is basically saying...but that's ridiculous.  Hire someone to do it.  Hire a second QB coach, hire a personal footwork coach - If you want to treat him like a baby then make sure he has a full time nanny....you don't draft a project 2nd round QB and treat him like a typical 4th stringer.  

mid-season as they call it - which in case they didn't notice...it's pre-season...the ideal time to make changes. 

You can't learn the playbook and defenses AND work on your footwork and delivery?  I mean if this kid can't work on those two things at once then I find it amazing they would have even considered drafting him.

I think the point is that you want him concentrating on other things like learning the play book; how to break down plays, how to read defenses, building chemistry with O-line and WRs. This can most effectively be done while he is in meetings/practice with the other QBs and players. He should spend his time with the team working on these items.

He can work on his mechanics in the off-season when the team isn't around him as that is more of a solo (meaning him 1-on-1 with a coach as opposed to team) project.

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

Here is the plan :

• Sign IK
  • IK fights Hackenberg
  • IK to I.R.
  • Waive Hackenberg
  • Hackenberg gets claimed by Bills 
  • bills put Hackenberg on their I.R.
  • next year.. bills trade  Hackenberg to the pats 
  • brady gets hurt in the 1st game @ the jets
  • Hackenberg takes over for an injured brady & leads the pats to the super bowl in 2018
  • pats win the 2018 super bowl 
  • Hackenberg named the 2018 super bowl MVP.. to go along with his 2017 rookie of the year award... 

ALL Problems solved..

Fixed ^ ^ 

cool ? 

:Irate:

47 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I actually think its that when the players aren't on the practice field, there is just so much class work and learning plays and defenses that they want this time dedicated to it right now. They can afford this process cause they knew with Geno and Petty, Hack wouldn't play this year.

"stupid question, but if you pick up a player that another team tried to put on IR, don't they have to go on active roster (like with PS)?"

I looked it up, apparently a player only needs to go through waivers before the first cut down period; once the team is past that, they can go directly to IR...

1 hour ago, bostonmajet said:

I think the point is that you want him concentrating on other things like learning the play book; how to break down plays, how to read defenses, building chemistry with O-line and WRs. This can most effectively be done while he is in meetings/practice with the other QBs and players. He should spend his time with the team working on these items.

He can work on his mechanics in the off-season when the team isn't around him as that is more of a solo (meaning him 1-on-1 with a coach as opposed to team) project.

I do honestly get the point, I just don't agree with it.  You drafted this player in the second round with the expectation that he will some day be able to play QB, at a high level, in the NFL.

If you don't believe this guy can learn in the classroom and ALSO work on his footwork then you can't possibly expect this person to succeed at the most complex position in all of sports.  As for one-on-one, hire him a personal coach to work with one on one...I get the idea of not wanting to change things in season, but that's only when a person is playing.  He has ZERO chance of seeing the field...

I get they're taking thing slowly but I personally find it ridiculous.  

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Not getting why some are so upset.  He's not playing this season so what's the hurry that he needs to work on footwork and learning at once?  He can improve his footwork and delivery in the offseason, as it's usually done.  

Who cares? 

On 8/23/2016 at 3:27 PM, SickJetFan said:

hey I got a good idea

Fitz should let some air out of the ball.  Boy that would solve some of our problems with Fitz right, he could make those long sideline passes and work better in windy games like Buffalo... why not its been done before...just don't get caught.

We are just talking better ball management here...nothing to see.

"...better ball management..."  

cool ! 

:rolleyes:

1660687_10202406616360735_1294354676_n.j

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer:

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Not getting why some are so upset.  He's not playing this season so what's the hurry that he needs to work on footwork and learning at once?  He can improve his footwork and delivery in the offseason, as it's usually done.  

Who cares? 

Who cares? I care!

Actually, it's not a big deal - I just don't get the logic.  Like anything else, the longer you're doing it the better you'll be at it...This is a long season and just seems silly to wait 7 months to begin fixing his mechanics. 

3 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

Except that I specifically said all 3 QBs were shown working on footwork drills together and you could see Sanchez and McElroy in step and Smith out of step. That could be done with 4 guys. I would think 

Did people freak out like this with Kellen Clemens? Hell, Geno Smith wasn't much of a discussion until Sanchez went down. Wtf is the big deal, the staff is doing what they think is right to develop the kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived