Geno Smith Trade Speculation Rumors: MERGED

AFJF

23 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:
no offense taken.  we shall see what they do with the qbs after the last preseason game.  

geno started out last year in TC as the starter.  then he lost his starting job and was given the #2 job at the beginning of this year's TC.  now bowles won't say who's the #2.  he's headed in the wrong direction.

Agreed. I'm over Geno mania. But this roster is built to win now.

With hack occupying the "developmental" role, our number 2 has to give us the best chance to win now. Not "see how he looks"... I'm sure we'd all like that to be Petty - but can anyone say with confidence that if we were playing NE this weekend that Petty stands a better chance than Geno?... Cmon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Geno is a topic because we have no clue what the front office is truly thinking about this player, it could be anything from 'we have decided he is for sure our soild #2 guy this year' to 'we are cutting him unless one of our other guys guys hurt' to 'we are going to try and trade him'.

Nothing much to talk about re Fitz (established as #1) or Hack (drafted this year will not be back up or cut)

Thank you. 

With this said, though accurate, you could say the very same for Petty. The 2 and ONLY 2 QB's with a guaranteed spot on this team is Fitz and Hack. Petty is just as much a mystery yet his threads here aren't nearly on the level as Geno's. It shows me that it's more than the uncertainty with fans in regards to front office decisions. 

14 minutes ago, Kevin L said:

Here's what I've boiled it down to:

Geno plays poorly in preseason: "He sucks! Cut this bum!"

Geno plays well in preseason: "Who cares? It's preseason! He's playing against scrubs"

Petty plays poorly in preseason: "He's young and still developing."

Petty plays well in preseason: "OMG look at this beast! He should be the #2."

In fairness, Geno has been here long enough so that we basically know what we have and/or people have already decided about him; Petty is new enough that we are not sure what we are going to get and the grass is always greener. If it makes you feel better, if we move on to Geno and Fitz has one bad play everyone will be on the start Petty bandwagon. Then when Petty starts it will be all about hack. It isn't necessarily (although I am sure there are plenty here who do) mean people hate Geno.

3 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

In fairness, Geno has been here long enough so that we basically know what we have and/or people have already decided about him; Petty is new enough that we are not sure what we are going to get and the grass is always greener. If it makes you feel better, if we move on to Geno and Fitz has one bad play everyone will be on the start Petty bandwagon. Then when Petty starts it will be all about hack. It isn't necessarily (although I am sure there are plenty here who do) mean people hate Geno.

I thought this way when Sanchez went down and Geno got the nod. It's not always true lol.

5 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

And of course in 2-3 years they'll be booing Petty or Hack...because that's how Jets fans roll. 

25 minutes ago, Kevin L said:

OTOH, it's also telling that Petty couldn't clearly beat out the supposed worst QB in the league.

Wait, so when Fitz "couldn't clearly beat out" Geno, it meant Geno should start over Fitz?

But now that Geno "couldn't clearly beat out" Petty, it means Geno should be the #2 over Petty?

There are days i think folks forget the arguments they made many moons ago and think no one else will notice.

14 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I just hope to God Ryan Fitzpatrick has a decent season again if not FitzNation is going down in flames on this board after everything that has been said about Geno Smith and his supporters. 

What do you mean by "go down in flames" exactly?  

And how does Fitz failing to live up to hopes and expectations mean anything about Geno Smith?

Whats the causation/correlation there, as you see it?

I don't think the Mac and Bowles jobs' are on the line, but let's face it; if we trade Geno, Fitz goes down, and Petty isn't ready (or just sucks), everyone including people on this board calling for Geno's head will be saying 'how do you trade away the best backup in the league'?

They would both survive, but they would take a hit and year 3 might be make or break.

Of course, with Woody, year 3 might be make or break either way...

Just now, bostonmajet said:

I don't think the Mac and Bowles jobs' are on the line, but let's face it; if we trade Geno, Fitz goes down, and Petty isn't ready (or just sucks), everyone including people on this board calling for Geno's head will be saying 'how do you trade away the best backup in the league'?

I wouldn't say that.  I'd say "calculated risk, such is life" and still appreciate they tried to do the right thing for the future of the franchise.

Just now, bostonmajet said:

They would both survive, but they would take a hit and year 3 might be make or break.

Of course, with Woody, year 3 might be make or break either way...

Fans have no power of this, only Woody.  So it doesn't matter what Fans think of a Geno goes/Geno stays decision.

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Wait, so when Fitz "couldn't clearly beat out" Geno, it meant Geno should start over Fitz?

But now that Geno "couldn't clearly beat out" Petty, it means Geno should be the #2 over Petty?

There are days i think folks forget the arguments they made many moons ago and think no one else will notice.

You must be confusing me with someone else. Nowhere have I said that Geno beat out Fitz, or that he should start.

33 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Agreed. I'm over Geno mania. But this roster is built to win now.

With hack occupying the "developmental" role, our number 2 has to give us the best chance to win now. Not "see how he looks"... I'm sure we'd all like that to be Petty - but can anyone say with confidence that if we were playing NE this weekend that Petty stands a better chance than Geno?... Cmon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does he stand a worse chance?

Does he stand so much of a worse chance that we are prepared to either dump a younger QB who has shown some improvement or another young promising roster player?

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

What do you mean by "go down in flames" exactly?  

And how does Fitz failing to live up to hopes and expectations mean anything about Geno Smith?

Whats the causation/correlation there, as you see it?

FitzNation has posted so much drivel and hate towards Geno Smith that if Fitzpatrick fails where will they run and hide what will they post then or will they make excuses. 

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I wouldn't say that.  I'd say "calculated risk, such is life" and still appreciate they tried to do the right thing for the future of the franchise.

Fans have no power of this, only Woody.  So it doesn't matter what Fans think of a Geno goes/Geno stays decision.

Both are true, just replying to the concept of them being safe, and could be part of the decision making progress. I will say this, if fans are going to turn on the trade Geno decision then so can Woody; also, I don't know how much Woody cares about the fans input, but the fire Idzik banners have some fans believing that it does.

Either way, I think it is the smart move to move on now, but what will happen - who knows.

If the doomsday event happens, it would be interested in seeing how many people are for getting rid of Geno would be willing to stand up. It has been my experience here that most of the posters are like most politicians and most in the media; you always hear how they are right, but not so much about how they are wrong.

25 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I just hope to God Ryan Fitzpatrick has a decent season again if not FitzNation is going down in flames on this board after everything that has been said about Geno Smith and his supporters. 

Ftiznation by and large is fully aware he is a limited QB who is not in the long range plans of the team who has great physical deficiencies. 

Genonation appears to be totally oblivious to his great number of faults and is bewildered as to why he is not being handed the job despite the legion of awful plays and decisions by him.

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Ftiznation by and large is fully aware he is a limited QB who is not in the long range plans of the team who has great physical deficiencies. 

Genonation appears to be totally oblivious to his great number of faults and is bewildered as to why he is not being handed the job despite the legion of awful plays and decisions by him.

So if Fitzpatrick goes 2-5 will you still support him or would you rather see a change at QB before the season is lost. 

Fitzpatrick played 11 seasons before he finally had a decent one Geno only 4 

The problem is FitzNation doesn't see what he really is and never will. 

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

So if Fitzpatrick goes 2-5 will you still support him or would you rather see a change at QB before the season is lost. 

It totally depends on how Fitzpatrick played in those games.  If he is playing like sh*t and is a big reason we are 2-5 sure I'd have no problem with a change.  Fitzpatrick played well most of last year and did the important things a Qb does.  Geno has had multuple chances to show real growth and has given no indication at all that he is going to make that step.

29 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Geno did clearly beat out Petty. Stay tuned for the announcement. A lot of stuff happens other than the preseason games.

58 minutes ago, Kevin L said:

OTOH, it's also telling that Petty couldn't clearly beat out the supposed worst QB in the league.

Who says he didn't? Why make Geno harder to trade by demoting him publicly. If he is exoendable now, that tells you he lost his job.

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

So, you think Bowles and Macs jobs are on the line this year? Teams have rebuilding and retooling years all the time. Look at the Cowboys last year. Romo goes down, so does their season. They got a look at Kellen Moore and decided to draft Dak. Seems to have worked out for them. If Fitz goes down, get an extended look at Petty because geno isn't taking this team anywhere, and if Bryce is the goods it's competition between him and Hack next season. If not, Hack gets the extended look in 2017.

Dallas doesn't know that it's worked out for them.  They have no idea how many games Dak will win, preseason games and regular season games are 2 different games.  Given Romos recent history you would think they should have prepared for the inevitable injury.  They didn't, dont have a replacement in place, they have a prayer. Dak wasn't drafted to be the fill in QB if Romo was injured this preseason.   It would be extreme luck if he pans out and leads them to the playoffs, not a well played plan.

18 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Yes lets trade him for another "what if" draft pick arent we due for another bust of a pick Gholston,Hill,Wilson,Coples,DuCasse......CANT WAIT

All draft picks are what if.  Doubt the FO doesn't want to stockpile picks because picks don't always work out.  Or better yet, because of picks other GMs made that didn't work out.  

They should just trade all their picks away then.

21 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The "appearance" is nothing more then false perspective. Plenty of guys here who support Geno but understand some of his faults. Expressing the support has transformed into Geno-defenders/sympathizers simply because they don't jump on the anti-Geno bandwagon. 

There are plenty of Fitz supporters who know his limitations, however, there are many in that group that decide to make the assumption that those giving the benefit of the doubt are somehow oblivious, when many do so given his youth, terrible organization and still being on a rookie contract. 

I've said it plenty of times that my main concern about Fitz is what he's produced in a career that spanned over a decade....which honestly isn't much of anything. 

Can he change? Sure, but if an 11 year vet can do it certainly a guy with youth and a career ahead of him can. That doesn't make one oblivious, but rather optimistic. 

I haven't asked for the job to be handed to Geno, I was one of those guys that said that Fitz didn't clearly beat out Geno for the job last year, and if all was equal today I would be hard pressed to say that Fitz is even separating himself from the rest during this preseason given that ALL of the QB's have not looked impressive overall. 

22 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

FitzNation sees exactly what he is - a mediocre journeyman quarterback who has never been to the playoffs. We also see what Geno is... A bad quarterback who has not won many games and has a tendency to embarrass himself and Jet fans when the ball is put in his hands. 

Sad or not, Fitz is by far the best option and the Jets have the talent to raise his play (see last year).

12 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Who says he didn't? Why make Geno harder to trade by demoting him publicly. If he is exoendable now, that tells you he lost his job.

Lots of people are saying Petty didn't beat him. 25 pages on this thread alone. We're all just waiting to see if the HC says he did or not.

20 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

It totally depends on how Fitzpatrick played in those games.  If he is playing like sh*t and is a big reason we are 2-5 sure I'd have no problem with a change.  Fitzpatrick played well most of last year and did the important things a Qb does.  Geno has had multuple chances to show real growth and has given no indication at all that he is going to make that step.

Fitzpatrick took 11 seasons to finally have a decent one yet Geno only had 2 here that he played in with scrubs 

Just now, Kevin L said:

Lots of people are saying Petty didn't beat him. 25 pages on this thread alone. We're all just waiting to see if the HC says he did or not.

Lots of people doesn't equal 5-6 people saying it repeatedly. If Geno won the #2 job, then he'll be a Jet a week from now. Truth is, nobody knows who won. As you are saying.

Just now, Integrity28 said:

Lots of people doesn't equal 5-6 people saying it repeatedly. If Geno won the #2 job, then he'll be a Jet a week from now. Truth is, nobody knows who won. As you are saying.

Exactly well put.  Geno haters are making up all kinds of trash. Like I said if Fitzpatrick fails miserably here this season where will FitzNation run and hide. 

10 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

FitzNation sees exactly what he is - a mediocre journeyman quarterback who has never been to the playoffs. We also see what Geno is... A bad quarterback who has not won many games and has a tendency to embarrass himself and Jet fans when the ball is put in his hands. 

Sad or not, Fitz is by far the best option and the Jets have the talent to raise his play (see last year).

I've never been embarrassed by a person I never met....especially a football player on a team I root for. I'm just not that much of a fanatic. 

Fitz is considered the best option...but that "by far" part is just excessive. He's mediocre, like you said.

Archived