Geno Smith Trade Speculation Rumors: MERGED

AFJF

24 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

For me the crucial stat with Fitz is what has he done against quality opponents . In otherwords teams he's faced with a better than .500 record - I don't have the stat in front of me at the moment but I believe its an insane 4-xxx record with the X being in the double digits.

BREAKING NEWS!

In a team game sport, your average team tends to do worse against better opponents and better against worse opponents.

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2015    NFL    Hand    Fitzgerald tore the ligaments in his thumb and required surgery. He did not miss any games

2014    NFL    Leg    Fitzmagic fractured his tibia in week 15 and was placed on IR ending his season. He required surgery in the offseason

2010    NFL    Knee    Fitzpatrick tore his medial collateral ligament and left the game vs. the Patriots.

2009    NFL    Ankle    Didn't finish the New England game due to a right ankle injury. He left the game and didn't return.

2007    NFL    Ribs    Ryan Fitzpatrick fractured his rib cartilage in the game against Minnesota Vikings which caused him to miss a total of 15 games this season.

Thanks for putting that together. I really didn't feel like looking it up and now I don't have to! I am too lazy to verify though so I still say he is at worst average durability

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, johnnyjet said:

Let's face facts, Fitz isn't our best shot, he's our ONLY shot at making the playoffs.  If he goes down for more than a game or two we are done.  Trade or cut Geno, because we are,not going anywhere with him at the helm. Keep another skill player instead.  If we get a bag of balls and a kicking tee I'd take it. 

Horsebleep. I think we win as many with Petty, easily. Fitz is terrible against solid defenses and will personally fu&k our season up the a$$ in the first 6 game. Fu*k him. We don't need him/

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

Thanks for putting that together. I really didn't feel like looking it up and now I don't have to! I am too lazy to verify though so I still say he is at worst average durability

No Problem - I wouldn't classify him as injury prone, but he's no Favre or Eli Manning.  

23 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

BREAKING NEWS!

In a team game sport, your average team tends to do worse against better opponents and better against worse opponents.

Its a team sport but the team excuse gets thrown out only when  it applies to certain QB's on the Jets. Funny thing too in looking at his overall stats/wins. 7 of his wins have come in week 16/17 against losing teams , you know the kind of games that don't count on Geno's win/loss record. . 

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Its a team sport but the team excuse gets thrown out only when  it applies to certain QB's on the Jets. Funny thing too in looking at his overall stats/wins. 7 of his wins have come in week 16/17 against losing teams , you know the kind of games that don't count on Geno's win/loss record. . 

You missed the point.  Which is not surprising.

Have a nice day, Smith Fan.

3 hours ago, slats said:

This was the narrative from people who wanted Fitz resigned, not from (all of) those who didn't. Apparently it's a complex concept, but it is possible to believe both that Fitzpatrick isn't worth $8M/year and that Geno Smith probably isn't very good. 

While it is a possible scenario, logically, I don't recall anyone on this site advocating that we don't resign Fitz, without also intentinoally or implicitly suggesting that Geno be given the starting job. 

Perhaps there were some who hated both options, and advocated we sign a different veteran QB. I wanted us to trade for Brees or Rivers, but I don't really count the unrealistic stuff. So, I consider these people the anomaly, the fringe. I stand by my generalization, because it represents the overwhelming majority.

Just now, Integrity28 said:

While it is a possible scenario, logically, I don't recall anyone on this site advocating that we don't resign Fitz, without also intentinoally or implicitly suggesting that Geno be given the starting job. 

Perhaps there were some who hated both options, and advocated we sign a different veteran QB. I wanted us to trade for Brees or Rivers, but I don't really count the unrealistic stuff. So, I consider these people the anomaly, the fringe. I stand by my generalization, because it represents the overwhelming majority.

I have not seen Villian since we failed to sign Glennon.  Coincidence ?  I think not.

13 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Horsebleep. I think we win as many with Petty, easily. Fitz is terrible against solid defenses and will personally fu&k our season up the a$$ in the first 6 game. Fu*k him. We don't need him/

Petty & Hack have the 2016 red "do not touch - kid gloves treatment"  jersey on ... #1 priority by FO is preparing them both for 2017 & beyond!

Even if Petty slides into the #2 QB spot this year , with our FO rolling the dice a little due to variety of circumstances (desire to keep 54th best player vs 4 QB's, strong preseason & practice showing/close by Petty, extra poor preseason showing by Geno, offer of something of value made for Geno by other team) that will not change what their #1 priority is.

12 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I have not seen Villian since we failed to sign Glennon.  Coincidence ?  I think not.

Lololol ... You must be using that "only reading1st & last page" of the thread method, brought up by another poster,  on this topic then! ;) 

26 minutes ago, jgb said:

I'm not understanding your stance here. On one side, you seem to want to argue that Fitzpatrick has better than average durability, but on the other you've advocated keeping Geno as an insurance policy. I would think trusting Fitz to stay relatively healthy would be a reason to unload Geno. 

I think he has a pretty reckless running style that could lead to him getting hurt on any given play, but that the addition of Forte should provide him with a dump off so he doesn't have to run as much this year. I also don't think this is a playoff team, and don't think there's a ton of difference from the top to the bottom of the QB depth chart here. 

4 minutes ago, slats said:

I'm not understanding your stance here. On one side, you seem to want to argue that Fitzpatrick has better than average durability, but on the other you've advocated keeping Geno as an insurance policy. I would think trusting Fitz to stay relatively healthy would be a reason to unload Geno. 

I think he has a pretty reckless running style that could lead to him getting hurt on any given play, but that the addition of Forte should provide him with a dump off so he doesn't have to run as much this year. I also don't think this is a playoff team, and don't think there's a ton of difference from the top to the bottom of the QB depth chart here. 

If we start out 2-0 will you be willing to adjust your last sentence?

16 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I wanted them to bring in a cheaper vet and let him compete with Geno: winner starts, loser gets cut.

I underestimated how mentally broken Geno appears to be, though. He's checked out from what I've seen. I don't think he wants to be on this team anymore, and I really don't know if he can recover somewhere else with a fresh start. None of that makes Ryan Fitzpatrick worth his current deal, however, and the mentally fragile Geno may've looked a lot different if Fitz hadn't been resigned, and the organization showed some confidence in him. Not that I necessarily believe that, lol. Doesn't matter now, I think the team should part ways. 

1 minute ago, slats said:

I wanted them to bring in a cheaper vet and let him compete with Geno: winner starts, loser gets cut.

I underestimated how mentally broken Geno appears to be, though. He's checked out from what I've seen. I don't think he wants to be on this team anymore, and I really don't know if he can recover somewhere else with a fresh start. None of that makes Ryan Fitzpatrick worth his current deal, however, and the mentally fragile Geno may've looked a lot different if Fitz hadn't been resigned, and the organization showed some confidence in him. Not that I necessarily believe that, lol. Doesn't matter now, I think the team should part ways. 

i agree he's checked out mentally here.  while he shouldn't show it, it's hard to blame him for feeling that way.  not that he's responded to the challenge though.  his comment that he's auditioning for all nfl teams was a big statement.  it's tough to know from that if he believes he's going to be cut this year or just walk.

My own position was that we would not be a playoff team this year with either of them so save the 12 million and have a legitimate shot at a top-3 pick with Geno at the Helm.

Unfortunately and as happens every year I am nudging upwards my win prediction before reality sets in.  

Just now, slats said:

And I think that's a totally reasonable position. Probably a position that was shared for a while for those opposing Geno too. Personally, I wanted Fitz or better, and no part of Geno.

Geno has show mental fragility. So, whether it's resigning Fitz, or the next bit of adversity, that part of him was and is always going to be a detriment. Frankly, I just don't think he's shown any viable growth as a QB. Add to that how affected he seems to be by adversity and negativity, and you have all you really need to know about him. IMO

1 hour ago, Big Blocker said:

BREAKING NEWS!

In 1998 the 12-4 NY Jets lost to:

4-12 Rams

4-12 Ravens

3-13 Colts

Those were 3 of the 4 loses the Jets had that season! Unbelievable!  That is why I don't totally buy in when people talk about our first six games.

11 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

4-12 Rams

4-12 Ravens

3-13 Colts

Those were 3 of the 4 loses the Jets had that season! Unbelievable!  That is why I don't totally buy in when people talk about our first six games.

Lololololoolololol ... I Don't know the answer to this ... But how many of those were with Glenn Foley & how many with Vinny T ?

2 hours ago, slats said:

I find it amusing when some Smith Fans say the position I take makes me a Fitz lover, but my preferred approach this past off season was that the FO should have at least attempted to get some other vet than Fitz on the team.  The specifics at this point I would say are not that important so much as that an effort should have been made. But as for specifics I did think that Qb's like Cutler or Bradford might have been available and (I think) might benefit from a change of scenery, and with such benefit would be better than Fitz.

But having said that once it became clear that the Jets were not going that route, and did not go Qb in the first round, it ended up being either sign Fitz or don't and have Smith start, then that's when I was totally on the sign Fitz bandwagon.

1 hour ago, ljr said:

Lololololoolololol ... I Don't know the answer to this ... But how many of those were with Glenn Foley & how many with Vinny T ?

Foley was the QB in the Raven game, and started the Ram game but was benched during the game. Vinnie was the QB in the loss to the 3-13 Colts.  I just find it intersting that as good as the Jets were, we lost to the worst teams on our schedule that year.  

15 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Foley went 0-3, Vinny 12-1. 

Appreciate that ... I was actually asking how many of JetFanatics losses that he was discussing fell at Vinny's feet ... And how many at Glenn's

so here with your info already we know only 1 or 0 loss to an under 500 team was on Vinny 

so while 1998 may have some extenuating circumstances at QB ... I agree with his premise that let's deal with each week as it comes ... And not just chalk up the 1st 6 games as being the toughest (non NE) contests that we'll face all season ... Week 1 is already a touch more in our favor due to Cincy injuries ... 10 more days ... Can't wait!!!!!

4-12 Rams

4-12 Ravens

3-13 Colts

(Hadn't seen your added info yet Jetsfanatic ... Much appreciated, copying below as well)

Foley was the QB in the Ravens game, and started the Ram game but was benched during the game. Vinnie was the QB in the loss to the 3-13 Colts.  I just find it intersting that as good as the Jets were, we lost to the worst teams on our schedule that year

1 minute ago, ljr said:

Appreciate that ... I was actually asking how many of JetFanatics losses that he was discussing fell at Vinny's feet ... And how many at Glenn's

so here with your info already we know only 1 or 0 loss to an under 500 team was on Vinny 

so while 1998 may have some extenuating circumstances at QB ... I agree with his premise that let's deal with each week as it comes ... And not just chalk up the 1st 6 games as being the toughest (non NE) contests that we'll face all season ... Week 1 is already a touch more in our favor due to Cincy injuries ... 10 more days ... Can't wait!!!!!

In 2014 Pitt and Big Ben were on a roll beating teams scoring 30,51 and 43 points a game until they ran into the 1-8 Jets and lost 20-13.. That's why they play the games..;)

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

An Idzik pick is always sick?

No because he's like Dorian Grey he sucks the health out of his draft picks so he never get hurt or sick they do.. Or in Sheldon's case smoke lots of weed which works on Idzik like garlic does for vampires..

Archived