Todd Bowles owes us all an explanation

jetscrazey

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL if the Bills get the onside kick you are all singing a different tune.  Being a head coach involves risk management and understanding of risk/reward, and Bowles made a very questionable decision there.  He's letting a game his team dominated potentially be lost instead of going to OT by one play going wrong.

14 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

Regardless of the outcome of the game, how do you kick a PAT and not go for 2 to go up 14 instead of 13 with less than 4 minutes left?  And then play prevent D, you're literally giving them a chance with the onside kick 

I said it right then, before they kicked the extra point. Just made no sense. It was a throw away point if you miss. Very valuable if you make it.

There is a really good chance we start this season 0-4.  Even if the team figures things out, gets healthy and people back from suspensions, the playoffs are out the window after that.  Clawing back to 8-8 would mean nothing.

I really didn't think the team would take such a step back after one year.  I really believed the offense would only get better.  I believed the D wouldn't be that bad without Dareus.  

But here's the facts as I see them:

Stubborness

Roman refuses to understand that his offense is about 10 years too late.  It can work in the right situation, but it got him out of SanFran, and it's not working here.  He was surprised he didn't get a HC job interview?  Really?!

Rex finally got his 4-6 defense.  Blitzes to a fault.  Gets picked apart for almost 400 yards by Fitz.  FITZ!  And a 100 yard rusher btw.  Now, were we good against the Ravens or were the Ravens not that great?  I think we are going to find out the sad truth these next two weeks.

Rex also hired his trainwreck of a brother for what, to prove a point?  Point made sir, he's terrible and it's going to cost you your job. 

TT

Something is very wrong here.  I don't know how he has regressed so much through 2 games.  He wasn't a world beater last year, but he could make all the throws.  He may not have made them to the middle of the field, but he hit the ones he made.  This is really bothering me and I just don't understand it.

Watkins/Woods/Clay

I feel terrible for these guys.  I believe in their talent and are being under-utilized by Roman and TT can't hit them.  It's hard to watch.

We are the worst franchise in Sports

This is a tough pill to swallow.  We look like a real team.  We show moments of a real franchise.  We see the futility of other teams like the Browns, Sabres, Rays and yet they've all found a way to make the playoffs in the past 15 years.  Yes, it's hard to win in the NFL, but every other team in all of sports has done it at least one in the past 15 years.  It's us.  I don't know why it's us.  I don't know what we do that's so terrible.  I don't know what the FANS have done to deserve this.  But we are just a cursed franchise. 

Overall

I can't remember the last time I knew the season was over after only 2 games.  This is a terrible feeling and I'm sure I'm over-reacting a lot.  With the Cards and the Pats coming up, I see no possible future for us.  I see no reason to believe that Rex will figure this out, as he hasn't in over 5 years.  I've never seen anything from Roman to believe he can get it done.  I do believe we have the talent.  I really do.  And I KNOW this fanbase deserves better.  

I'm just !@#$ing done right now.  It's late, I'm tired.  I'm pissed and emotional that my favorite team of my favorite sport is over only 5 days into the season.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/188498-i-dont-even-know-what-the-best-case-scenario-is-anymore/

33 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

LOL if the Bills get the onside kick you are all singing a different tune.  Being a head coach involves risk management and understanding of risk/reward, and Bowles made a very questionable decision there.  He's letting a game his team dominated potentially be lost instead of going to OT by one play going wrong.

You guys are letting history get in the way of logic. Was it a mistake? Probably. But I said it when it happened, if it gets to the point where that becomes a factor, they dont deserve to win anyway. They had to score, recover the onside kick and score again. 

The odds of that happening are not good for Buffalo.

Plus, and I also said this in the thread. If they dont make it, the Bills don't need to kick any extra points to tie. The extra point in the NFL is missable now. You want the team to have to try the extra point

I don't understand it either but I don't think Bowles is clueless either. I'm trying to come up with a rational explanation. Only thing that really makes sense is that he has faith in the defense and wanted to give the offense as much rest as possible, in case they needed to haul downfield for a last second attempt, after being on the field for so long. I don't find it a very good explanation though.

11 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

You guys are letting history get in the way of logic. Was it a mistake? Probably. But I said it when it happened, if it gets to the point where that becomes a factor, they dont deserve to win anyway. They had to score, recover the onside kick and score again. 

Plus, and I also said this in the thread. If they dont make it, the Bills don't need to kick any extra points to tie. The extra point in the NFL is missable now. You want the team to have to try the extra point

Why are you doubling down on this?

Precisely no one with an ounce of football knowledge agrees with you.

3 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

I don't understand it either but I don't think Bowles is clueless either. I'm trying to come up with a rational explanation. Only thing that really makes sense is that he has faith in the defense and wanted to give the offense as much rest as possible, in case they needed to haul downfield for a last second attempt, after being on the field for so long. I don't find it a very good explanation though.

He made a mistake 

that's ok ... Just don't make the same one again

Just now, PS17 said:

This is basic math and game management. Not an excusable mistake. This is supposed to be clockwork for NFL head coaches. 

Ok for you

for me (as it didn't bite us In The *$$) he gets 1 get out of jail free card to use  for it

Just now, jetscrazey said:

The combined strategy of not going for 2 along with the prevent D was especially risky because then you are basically letting the game where you are up 2 scores come down to an onside kick.

And I will take those odds, whether to tie or not. I will admit, not going for two was a mistake. But not an egregious blunder. As I said before, if that mistake came into play, they didnt deserve to win the game anyway

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Doesn't change the fact the HC had a brainfart there. It was definitely a mistake. If the Bills scored before the 2 min warning, they would have had a shot at a couple of deep EZ passes or atleast a couple of 50-60 yard hailmaries. 

1 hour ago, jetscrazey said:

The combined strategy of not going for 2 along with the prevent D was especially risky because then you are basically letting a game where you are up 2 scores come down to an onside kick.

Last year just 16% of onsides kicks were successful. Not tremendous risk that the onside kick is successful and if it is that they could get within scoring distance.

4 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I'm a big Bowles supporter, but that was an AWFUL decision. He has to be be better than that. 

was it any worse than constantly putting safeties in the box while our Corner gets beat deep with no help ?

Is it any worse that since our corners get no help deep that they constantly get beat underneath since they play 10+ yards off the WR's ?

Our offense adjusted when will the defense adjust ?

Archived