I miss Rex

drdetroit

19 hours ago, Joejet said:

I'm not sure how this answered my question.  I didn't bring up how good or bad Bowles is but how people still talk about Rex's genius.  I'm not convinced that Bowles is or isn't the answer as our coach but I am convinced that the Ryan ship has sailed!

Rex can make in game adjustments

Watch the games.  Teams are literally running the same plays over and over on our D.  Those screens and tag passes are wrecking us and Bowles is sitting on his hands.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard a story the other night that in NFL locker rooms there is a racial divide on the upcoming presidential election. Whites are overwhelmingly supporting one candidate and blacks overwhelmingly the other. And this has esp come to play on the Bills because Rex endorsed the candidate the black players dislike. If you google it you will find articles on this. 

On 10/3/2016 at 8:03 AM, Warfish said:

He might.

That doesn't legitimize Rex.  Nor does his one-off win in NE yesterday.

So true.

Hopefully Bowles is better than what we have seen so far this year, I think he will be. But at the same time it doesn't matter, you weren't winning a Super Bowl with Rex so it was still time to move on.

On 10/4/2016 at 5:33 PM, bitonti said:

Rex Ryan's defense just pitched a shutout against the Pats in Gilette. That's never happened before, ever, in that awful lighthouse sh*t piece stadium. And you can say Jacoby whatever but the same team blew out Houston a week ago on the same grass. 

The Jets fire their HC ever 3-5 years so psychopaths who hire skywriters and airplane banners don't cross the line and become actual public nuisances 

some of those firings like Herm and Mangini were certainly justified. But let's be honest Rex is a good NFL HC. In a league where Jeff Fisher always has a job.  Fans confuse firing HC for making things better. Rex wasn't Kotite. He actually righted that ship by firing that OC. Tyrod Taylor is a better QB than anyone on this roster.  

Bowles best case is Rex with a more even temperament. And if we are being more honest Woody made a brave decision hiring Bowles, he was the hottest NFL HC prospect for years, and if he looked like Fisher or even that weirdo Ben McAdoo he would have a HC job years ago. 

Bowles was the standard low risk coordinator hire that mediocre franchises consistently go for. 

On 10/3/2016 at 7:41 AM, Kleckineau said:

I think Bowles is in over his head.

On game day he has the look of a confused guy who is trying to mask looking confused.

The defensive game plan has looked exactly the same for all 4 games so far.

Regarding Rex and the Bills winning against AZ and NE I wouldnt get too carried away with that either. 

AZ has flat out stunk this year and NE lost because at 3-0 they couldnt steal one more win with a rookie QB.

Brady or even Garrapolo would have won easily.

Totally agree.   Arizona is not good this year, NE was one their #3 QB playing hurt, Rex even had a little film on him, and they still didn't have Gronk. 

18 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Totally agree.   Arizona is not good this year, NE was one their #3 QB playing hurt, Rex even had a little film on him, and they still didn't have Gronk. 

NE was 3-0 against others including crushing what is supposed to be a good texans team w/ that #3 QB and let's not forget all the injuries and suspensions he is dealing with.  AZ had just crushed TB and rex rallied his team when all the talk was about firing him.  rex has done an outstanding job, he's a good HC and we'd be MUCH better if we still had him w/ all the talent we have.

NE was 3-0 against others including crushing what is supposed to be a good texans team w/ that #3 QB and let's not forget all the injuries and suspensions he is dealing with.  AZ had just crushed TB and rex rallied his team when all the talk was about firing him.  rex has done an outstanding job, he's a good HC and we'd be MUCH better if we still had him w/ all the talent we have.

Rex and the Bills are the Pats only competition in the AFCE this year.

10 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

What happens if Brady turns in a few Fitz-like performances?

if that happens then I will be sure we are winning the next 5 Super Bowls.

he does have to show his age at some point but to play like Fitz has he'd have to be 70 yrs old.

59 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

This hasn't been true the previous hundred times you've said it, and it isn't true now.

it's just a way to express frustration like hitting a wall or screaming into a pillow. It might make the fans feel better but it doesn't seem to change much around here. It's the same rinse/repeat cycle and every 3 or 4 years people all seem to feel better when a coach gets fired.  Somehow firing coaches has become like our Super Bowl. Somehow it feels like "a win" to fans when a guy gets fired. 

We need to be realistic about who the Jets are. We aren't rooting for the NY Yankees. This is a mediocre franchise with no realistic chance at a SB, and there is some evidence to suggest mediocre franchises need stability.

Look at Cinci. Marvin Lewis would be fired in 5 minutes in NY but eventually, over a decade plus, he built a program. A program that actually has a chance. Firing coaches every few years doesn't make the team better, and the proof is in the pudding.  

On 10/4/2016 at 5:42 PM, Kleckineau said:

If we are being honest Rex's record says the opposite of how you describe him and I think most fans would take Fisher over Bowles or Rex at this point.

Jeff Fisher has a long career but 5-6 in the playoffs and he hasn't been back for 8 years. He's not that special of a coach and his best days are clearly behind him.

He's not great he's not awful but he's about average. which is about where Rex is and Bowles is. Rex and Bowles both won the assistant of the year btw. They both (and Fisher) have winning  percentages near 50%. That's what coaches do in the NFL.  This idea that the Jets would be awesome if only a coach would yell at the team more and make them run wind sprints is some Knute Rockne BS that has no relevance to the league in 2016. 

32 minutes ago, bitonti said:

it's just a way to express frustration like hitting a wall or screaming into a pillow. It might make the fans feel better but it doesn't seem to change much around here. It's the same rinse/repeat cycle and every 3 or 4 years people all seem to feel better when a coach gets fired.  Somehow firing coaches has become like our Super Bowl. Somehow it feels like "a win" to fans when a guy gets fired. 

We need to be realistic about who the Jets are. We aren't rooting for the NY Yankees. This is a mediocre franchise with no realistic chance at a SB, and there is some evidence to suggest mediocre franchises need stability.

Look at Cinci. Marvin Lewis would be fired in 5 minutes in NY but eventually, over a decade plus, he built a program. A program that actually has a chance. Firing coaches every few years doesn't make the team better, and the proof is in the pudding.  

Keeping dumbasses in positions of authority for the sake of continuity doesn't make the team better either. Marvin Lewis has never won a playoff game, and neither have any of the people we've had the temerity to fire. And anyway the whole thing kind of collapses in on itself for anyone who remembers you bitching about us firing Tannenbaum after seven years while calling for Idzik to go after two, or implying Rex deserves fourteen years to "build a program" even as you call it "certainly justified" to fire Herm after five years and Mangini after three. 

The best way to fix the problem is to a.) hire people who aren't dumbasses in the first place, then b.) back TF off and let them work. Woody has proven himself constitutionally incapable of doing either. That's why this is a mediocre franchise with no realistic chance at a Super Bowl.

11 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Keeping dumbasses in positions of authority for the sake of continuity doesn't make the team better either. Marvin Lewis has never won a playoff game, and neither have any of the people we've had the temerity to fire. And anyway the whole thing kind of collapses in on itself for anyone who remembers you bitching about us firing Tannenbaum after seven years while calling for Idzik to go after two, or implying Rex deserves fourteen years to "build a program" even as you call it "certainly justified" to fire Herm after five years and Mangini after three. 

The best way to fix the problem is to a.) hire people who aren't dumbasses in the first place, then b.) back TF off and let them work. Woody has proven himself constitutionally incapable of doing either. That's why this is a mediocre franchise with no realistic chance at a Super Bowl.

Dumbass is calling for the HCs head after two bad games.  Dumbass is thinking you can change programs like you change socks.  Dumbass is saying the same stupid things over and over again, like the owner needs to lay off. Dumbass is thinking you're onto something with this nonsense

16 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Marvin Lewis has never won a playoff game, and neither have any of the people we've had the temerity to fire.  

Put it another way Marvin Lewis has never won a playoff game and has a job for 10+ years, Rex is actually the Jets coach who has won the most playoff games in the history of the franchise and was fired.  

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

Jeff Fisher has a long career but 5-6 in the playoffs and he hasn't been back for 8 years. He's not that special of a coach and his best days are clearly behind him.

He's not great he's not awful but he's about average. which is about where Rex is and Bowles is. Rex and Bowles both won the assistant of the year btw. They both (and Fisher) have winning  percentages near 50%. That's what coaches do in the NFL.  This idea that the Jets would be awesome if only a coach would yell at the team more and make them run wind sprints is some Knute Rockne BS that has no relevance to the league in 2016. 

OK I can agree about Bowles. I am finding it increasingly harder to do but will still give Bowles a pass because he is still fairly new to the HC job.

Hopefully he can learn and grow better at it.

Having said that, Rex Ryan does not belong in the same sentence with "average" Jeff Fisher (who I do agree is average.)

Rexs teams have never even won a division title or made it to the "show" despite his empty promises and he still has a sub .500 w/l record. 

Do you think he will be out of coaching  when he wears out his welcome in Buff?

BTW winning asst of the year is nice but isnt it just another Snoopy Bowl Trophy?

Put it another way Marvin Lewis has never won a playoff game and has a job for 10+ years, Rex is actually the Jets coach who has won the most playoff games in the history of the franchise and was fired.  

I don't think Marvin Lewis deserves a job either.

Cincinnati burned a decade. We burned six years. I'd like to say we won that exchange, but Cincy nosed us out because Marvin Lewis isn't a national embarrassment.

One could easily argue that at least one of if not both those years the team failed in the regular season and thus had to be a win it all on the road wild card team.  In addition Rex's vaunted defense fell apart in both AFC tile game loses.  You are not a good head coach if you are good in 1/2 of things required to be a head coach.

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

One could easily argue that at least one of if not both those years the team failed in the regular season and thus had to be a win it all on the road wild card team.  In addition Rex's vaunted defense fell apart in both AFC tile game loses.  You are not a good head coach if you are good in 1/2 of things required to be a head coach.

In 2009 we had a rookie QB, could we have won 2 more games?  probably if we win division we get balt in WC rd instead of Cincy and probably lose 1st rd.  In 2010 we would have needed to go 15-1 to win the division, is it fair to think we could have done that? and while his D's did fall apart in the title games they also led us there and I'd rather they fall apart in title games than fall apart during the reg season to prevent us from having a SB chance like under Bowles.

36 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Do you think he will be out of coaching  when he wears out his welcome in Buff?

The point I'm trying to make is that the HC pool is even shallower than the QB pool. So yes. He will, for the same reason Jeff Fisher has a job for life. There aren't enough qualified candidates to compete. 

The assistant of the year trophy is a way to tell who the league thinks can be the next HC for some team. Bowles was a brave non re-tread hire. 

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Cincinnati burned a decade. We burned six years. I'd like to say we won that exchange, but Cincy nosed us out because Marvin Lewis isn't a national embarrassment.

right now Cinci has a legit program and they are contenders. If you call that burning time than 28 out of 32 teams are burning time. 

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

right now Cinci has a legit program and they are contenders. If you call that burning time than 28 out of 32 teams are burning time. 

They have a bunch of good players and they play tough, disciplined football. They are not contenders.

14 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The Tuna's D only fell apart in the 2nd half of his Jet AFCCG..:)

Rex is a mediocre coach.  Give him the right team and he'll do what he did in 2010-11. I don't see him as the type of coach that elevates his players however.  Proof by the many draft picks who failed here.  While the in game coaching may not be great, the one huge improvement I am seeing from this coaching staff is young guys getting better and I'm not talking about the big stars I'm talking about guys like Enunwa, Bilal Powell, Leonard Williams, Brian Winters.  Sure guys like Pryor and Mauldin haven't taken that next step but I'd say there's been more good than bad with the younger players, something we just never saw under Rex.

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

They have a bunch of good players and they play tough, disciplined football. They are not contenders.

They won 12 games last year, 10 the year before that and 11 the year before that 

Any team that can win double digits in the NFL for three straight years are contenders. 

And yet people in this thread say Marvin Lewis doesn't deserve a job.

We've had a version of this conversation for years, end of the day I don't think coaches do as much as people claim. They set the tone for the program. But it's not like setting a better tone makes the players more talented.

Give Rex or Bowles a guy like Andrew Luck and all of sudden they will look like geniuses. Before Brady, Belly was just a failed ex-Browns coach who no one liked.

Coaches coach, players play. Rex and Bowles share the same problem as Jets HCs, they never had a QB.   Rex is trying to make it work with Tyrod, Bowles is trying with Fitz but neither one of them even have a Dalton, let alone a Luck or a star talent at the position. 

Here's a sad statement, Mike Vick might have been the most talented QB that Rex Ryan ever enjoyed while HC of the Jets.  

1 minute ago, drsamuel84 said:

Rex is a mediocre coach.  Give him the right team and he'll do what he did in 2010-11. I don't see him as the type of coach that elevates his players however.  Proof by the many draft picks who failed here.  While the in game coaching may not be great, the one huge improvement I am seeing from this coaching staff is young guys getting better and I'm not talking about the big stars I'm talking about guys like Enunwa, Bilal Powell, Leonard Williams, Brian Winters.  Sure guys like Pryor and Mauldin haven't taken that next step but I'd say there's been more good than bad with the younger players, something we just never saw under Rex.

Mo and Sheldon played well in Rex's D as did Snacks,Pouha,DeVito,Lowery and Pace had his best year under Rex as did Revis..

9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

They won 12 games last year, 10 the year before that and 11 the year before that 

Any team that can win double digits in the NFL for three straight years are contenders. 

And yet people in this thread say Marvin Lewis doesn't deserve a job.

We've had a version of this conversation for years, end of the day I don't think coaches do as much as people claim. They set the tone for the program. But it's not like setting a better tone makes the players more talented.

Give Rex or Bowles a guy like Andrew Luck and all of sudden they will look like geniuses. Before Brady, Belly was just a failed ex-Browns coach who no one liked.

Coaches coach, players play. Rex and Bowles share the same problem as Jets HCs, they never had a QB.   Rex is trying to make it work with Tyrod, Bowles is trying with Fitz but neither one of them even have a Dalton, let alone a Luck or a star talent at the position. 

Here's a sad statement, Mike Vick might have been the most talented QB that Rex Ryan ever enjoyed while HC of the Jets.  

:inhales: Rex chose Sanchez Rex chose Tyrod Bowles chose Fitzpatrick they deserve what they get there's no one else to blame :exhales:

Archived