Petty "close" to returning, per Bowles

AFJF

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm cool with Petty starting.

If for no other reason because I need to know if Maccagnan made the right choice picking Petty over Hundley. I was pounding the table for Brett Hundley and was pissed when Mac took Petty.

If Petty bombs I'm probably gonna bitch and moan some more

cryptically that's bowles' way of saying why they're doing what they're doing and why fitz isn't being benched.  i believe they have a plan, but unfortunately part of that plan is going with fitz no matter what happens the first 8 games, then assessing when to start petty.

2 minutes ago, King P said:

I'm cool with Petty starting.

If for no other reason because I need to know if Maccagnan made the right choice picking Petty.

Bingo.

That's all that's left of this season, the sooner we get to validate Petty the better.  With February around the corner and Fitzpatrick and Geno kicked to the curb, we need to know if we are building around Petty -or- building around Hackenberg -or- looking to move up in the draft to get someone else.

SAR I

After the bye week, the Jets play against New England on Sunday Night football. They could be around .500 depending on what happens the next 7-8 weeks. I could see the Jets winning 4 in a row going into the bye. I'm not sure when the set up would be to get him up to speed and healthy and in action this season. Will be interesting to see it all unfold.

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

After the bye week, the Jets play against New England on Sunday Night football. They could be around .500 depending on what happens the next 7-8 weeks. I could see the Jets winning 4 in a row going into the bye. I'm not sure when the set up would be to get him up to speed and healthy and in action this season. Will be interesting to see it all unfold.

I wish I shared your optimism, but this team is a wreck from top to bottom.  Sure, they can stop the run, but what good is that when teams just eat up your secondary?

Offense can't run the ball and Fitz is playing worse than his biggest detractors ever hoped for.

2 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Now I understand why they call you CRAZY Carl......  4 wins in a row? 

2 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

What you're describing is an easy schedule for Ryan Fitzpatrick to navigate, not much different than the 5-1 run he took us on in November and December last year.

Translation:  At the very moment we are out of playoff contention and one would think it would be time to see Petty play it's also the time we are teed up for a 5-1 Fitzpatrick run against the scrubs we face in November thru mid-December.

SAR I

Bingo.
That's all that's left of this season, the sooner we get to validate Petty the better.  With February around the corner and Fitzpatrick and Geno kicked to the curb, we need to know if we are building around Petty -or- building around Hackenberg -or- looking to move up in the draft to get someone else.
SAR I

Here's a question about this, and my main concern with this approach. Let's say Petty gets 8 games, and looks pretty good. Not stellar, but good to the point where you believe he could be a long term solution. Maybe he goes 5-3 or 6-2, but the worry is that this was a product of our schedule, or opponents lacking film on him.

Come draft time, we have a chance to pick, or trade up moderately to pick, one of the top QB prospects. Is 8 games of Petty being pretty good enough to pass up that chance? Or will it be like us passing on the many prospects because we'd just drafted Geno? Can half a season validate - either way - what we have in him?

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

I wish I shared your optimism, but this team is a wreck from top to bottom.  Sure, they can stop the run, but what good is that when teams just eat up your secondary?

Offense can't run the ball and Fitz is playing worse than his biggest detractors ever hoped for.

Spot on, the secondary is shocking bad. Zero adjustments, we look awful. Only thing is to see what we have at QB in about a month when we are out of it. Petty may actually save Todd and Mac's job if he can play a little?

1 minute ago, southparkcpa said:

Now I understand why they call you CRAZY Carl......  4 wins in a row? 

They had 5 last year. And the teams they play before the bye aren't world beaters. It's completely feasible and totally Jets if they go 1-5 and then reel off 4 wins in a row before the bye, whipping this board into a frenzy. We've seen it before. And then the Pats beat the Jets in embarrassing fashion coming off of the bye.

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

That's all true, but there is a chance this staff and the players get it together. As far away as they were from winning, they still aren't that far in today's NFL. I'm not expecting it, but it could happen. I just don't like Petty's first start to be post bye week NE on SNF. Maybe he'll be ready sooner than later, but I'm thinking even if he does start practicing soon, he'll still need time and reps.

Just now, BurnleyJet said:

Spot on, the secondary is shocking bad. Zero adjustments, we look awful. Only thing is to see what we have at QB in about a month when we are out of it. Petty may actually save Todd and Mac's job if he can play a little?

I don't think either one loses their job after one down season, and nobody's gonna' go nuts if a 4th round QB doesn't pan out.  Even the Hackenberg pick would be forgiven if he gets a top QB prospect in the first round after this season.

If Petty stinks, no QB's are added (which won't happen IMO) and Hack is still a disaster....it won't be great news for him.

30 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Honestly if Petty comes back and is practicing and we're still carrying 4 QB's while the secondary gets torched every week....then this regime you can pretty much say goodnight to.

We didn't need Fitz for $12mil. could've picked up our CB#2 instead. As it is, there's no one on the street that can fix this. 

10 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I could see the Jets winning 4 in a row going into the bye. 

Do we get to play 4 teams that don't have Wide Receivers? 

Wow - I didn't know there was such a thing. 

Just now, j4jets said:

Whats wrong with starting him at 1-3?

He hasn't practiced since his injury and he still hasn't yet. If he was healthy, maybe they consider it but the money and the situation mean Fitz is playing until at least the bye week. Unless something really crazy happens.

22 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

cryptically that's bowles' way of saying why they're doing what they're doing and why fitz isn't being benched.  i believe they have a plan, but unfortunately part of that plan is going with fitz no matter what happens the first 8 games, then assessing when to start petty.

Its a sh*t plan then. Should've released Geno the moment they signed Fitz. Senseless plan. 

1 minute ago, j4jets said:

We didn't need Fitz for $12mil. could've picked up our CB#2 instead. As it is, there's no one on the street that can fix this. 

Fitz isn't costing the Jets 12 million on the salary cap. What CB #2 are they adding to an already overpriced secondary? If Skrine isn't good enough or able to be the CB #2 then why are they paying him like one? Fitz' contract had nothing to do with the defense's deficiencies. For as much as everyone saw that Fitz would regress, I've been screaming from the rooftops that the secondary could be very bad since the offseason. And now that's come to fruition too. And there's much more money and time in contracts dedicated to the porous secondary than there is the QB position.

I'm not crazy about Geno's Instagram on Fitz but if they do replace Fitz I think Geno deserves the first shot at starting. I'd give him at least two starts. But I could see Petty getting starts in Dec. Hopefully Fitz plays well and doesn't turn the ball over again the entire season. He has his season quota for picks already. But if things go south I can see Geno maybe in late Nov. and Petty in Dec. if we're out of it. Petty is the guy I'm really interested in seeing, but Geno should get his chance. 

Just now, AFJF said:

I don't think either one loses their job after one down season, and nobody's gonna' go nuts if a 4th round QB doesn't pan out.  Even the Hackenberg pick would be forgiven if he gets a top QB prospect in the first round after this season.

If Petty stinks, no QB's are added (which won't happen IMO) and Hack is still a disaster....it won't be great news for him.

No I don't think it will be this year, but there must be some positives come out of the year. or the writing will be on the wall. 

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

He hasn't practiced since his injury and he still hasn't yet. If he was healthy, maybe they consider it but the money and the situation mean Fitz is playing until at least the bye week. Unless something really crazy happens.

At 1-5, the money doesn't become a factor? Why have Geno on the roster then when Fitz has established new heights for being the worst in the league? At 1-3, after throwing 9 ints, if Fitz starts against Pittsburgh and starts off with 10 points in the first half, he better be benched even if its for Hack. Fitz has no right to the starting position as of right now. I'd make the switch today and let him rest. We're getting blown away next wk anyways.

Just now, Rangers9 said:

I'm not crazy about Geno's Instagram on Fitz but if they do replace Fitz I think Geno deserves the first shot at starting. I'd give him at least two starts. But I could see Petty getting starts in Dec. Hopefully Fitz plays well and doesn't turn the ball over again the entire season. He has his season quota for picks already. But if things go south I can see Geno maybe in late Nov. and Petty in Dec. if we're out of it. Petty is the guy I'm really interested in seeing, but Geno should get his chance. 

Geno is not coming back next year. Why are they giving him an opportunity to start. The relationship between the player and the team is so far damaged there is no coming back from it. It doesn't behoove the Jets to put him out there.

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Why? He isn't here next year. 'Deserves' did he volunteer his time on this team? He started for a while - he had a chance - maybe not a good one, but one indeed; Clearly the current FO doesn't like him. What is the point? If Petty isn't ready, they play Fitz.

Archived