Why aren't you watching the NFL?

T0mShane

Why aren't you watching the NFL?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Why aren't you watching the NFL?

• My team sucks, so I don't care anymore.
    • Kaepernick stuff.
    • Parity has made every game a war of attrition
    • Flags for targeting, roughing, taunting, celebrations make the game corporate and boring
    • The overall level of play isn't as good.
    • All of the above
    • Other (please specify)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think a good portion of it has to do with the rules that make it a QB / pass driven game that leaves 85% of all the teams with literally no shot at a Lombardi not to mention the cheating that has been swept under the rug by Goodell.

Ding ding ding ding ding. There are 10 good QB's on earth and 32 teams. You can't build a winning team if you don't have a QB. Period. There used to be many ways to skin the cat in the league. Philosophies mattered, defense, offense, 3-4, 4-3, west coast, run and shoot..... now it's one thing. Get a QB, WR's, throw the ball. You get touched, easy 15 yards. WR gets touched, easy pass interference.

The other part is the pussification of the game in general. Ever since the concussion scandal. Look, we all know the NFL covered up a lot. But for god sakes who the hell didn't know getting your head bashed in might have long term effects? Let's not play stupid here. They make a ton of money. Nobody is forcing anyone to play football. Fitzpatrick went to Harvard, he still chooses to play. Have the players sign a waiver, and get back to real football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Also politics.  Tomorrow night's debate may top the 1st debate.  80mil+ viewers.

No one will be watching SNF.

How about the other politics: flyovers, "Salute To Service", Bob Costas gun control rant, etc.  Can't I just watch a game?

Because some people dont like watching other people slowly and silently kill themselves. CTE is serious and will probably happen to 90% of the players you see playing out there. Unfortunately most legal hits cause sub concussive blows to the head that you can't stop because they are just routine tackles. 

Because some people dont like watching other people slowly and silently kill themselves. CTE is serious and will probably happen to 90% of the players you see playing out there. Unfortunately most legal hits cause sub concussive blows to the head that you can't stop because they are just routine tackles. 

They didn't know constantly pounding your head was bad for you 10 years ago? Please. If dudes wanna play football and put themselves at risk I don't feel bad for them, it's entertaining. So is boxing, mma, and a whole host of sports with inherent risk.

13 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

They didn't know constantly pounding your head was bad for you 10 years ago? Please. If dudes wanna play football and put themselves at risk I don't feel bad for them, it's entertaining. So is boxing, mma, and a whole host of sports with inherent risk.

Technically they did but the NFL just covered it up. They knew since the 90s. But you're also right NFL players are adults and can make their own choices but you know who cant? Kids, and when less and less high school students and kids are playing football, we wont have a sport to watch anymore unless it's radically changed. 

Technically they did but the NFL just covered it up. They knew since the 90s. But you're also right NFL players are adults and can make their own choices but you know who cant? Kids, and when less and less high school students and kids are playing football, we wont have a sport to watch anymore unless it's radically changed. 

And the less kids aspect will run its course up the the pro level and water down the talent. That's inevitable.

2 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

And the less kids aspect will run its course up the the pro level and water down the talent. That's inevitable.

And football will fade out just like boxing. Unless change is made to the game. There needs to be alternatives to tackling. Because thats the aspect that is killing people. Id love to watch the Jets till the day I die but the more I think about it the less I think that will be a reality. 

The fact that the same teams win every week regardless of injuries.  

NFL front office dictates more of the NFL results at a Macro level. How else can you explain a sh*tty organizations like the Giants have so much success with a garbage QB.  How NE can win with garbage roster and Back up QBs.

Referees and new rules dictating when to take stars out of the game anytime they want.  So now Cam has a bullseye on his helmet.  Teams like Denver can illegally hit Cam which earned them multiple fines and no penalties.

After wasting 35 years of my life on this sport, I watch Jets and don't give a crap for the rest of the league. Not even a little.

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Ratings are down significantly and the NFL's internal memo leak displayed that they're confounded as to why. So, assuming you're watching less football, why? 

Unlike you, I have a ***king job. 

1 hour ago, Saul Goodman said:

I will be watching every snap of every Jets game, even if they were to lose the rest of their games. But my fantasy team sucks, that somehow pains me more than the Jets sucking, even though the Jets are much more important to me. 

One is under your own control.  The other is under the daily management of Todd Bowles.  If I survived through an eternity of Joe Walton, I guess I'll survive through Bowles.  

But please Woody, make it sooner than later this time. Hess hung on to Walton forever.   And later fired Pete Carroll after one season (the nose dive on the season after the Marino fake spike) and replaced him with his very owned hand picked Rich Kotite.  With few exceptions, management of the Jets has been atrocious since the dawn of time. 

I remember two years ago posting that the scandals and the bias of the NFL towards certain teams was going to have an adverse impact on the game. 

And it has.....

At that time folks would say "look at the ratings" and "look at the SB", "you don't know what you are talking about."  I said then fans are losing their love for the game because they know that the league has created internal bias in the product, and that the casual fan that everyone bragged about was never devoted to the game and hence the NFL is in deep trouble.

And now the rating prove it.

Again Great Teams don't need the NFL running interference for them.

I also believe that the rules changes have hurt the game as well.  Defensive players look for stinging hits cause they cant touch the offensive players otherwise.

These two things have caused the devoted fan to begin to tune out.

But I'm sure the genius Commissioner Roger Goodell will turn it all around :) 

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

How about the lost art of the running game.

This cant' be overstated.............

When I first began watching the NFL the players I was watching in mass were players like Jim Brown and my favorite non Jet Gayle Sayers. Yes QBs got the glory...... Johnny U.... but you knew you could win running the ball.  Not so anymore....

Football isn't basketball!!! But the clowns running the sport don't know what they are doing.

5 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Replay and OVER analysis of "RECEPTION" defined by B.S. Legal syntax has exponentially retarded the game down to the point that it's unbearable to watch in today's ADD society.

The excessive flags for roughing, taunting, and "tackling" have killed the joy and rush the sport provided. 

The league has become TOO P.C. and Media/Socially Vocal to the point it's OVER compensating to protect its brand and killing the "escape" AWAY from society's problems sports, in general,  are supposed to provide . 

I actually enjoy watching old 80s & 90s NFL game son YouTube every now and then ;)

+500

...exactly what he said so eloquently....The games have become unwatchable.

New CBA + new rules = less contact and practice = sloppier, less competitive games.

Quality of product no longer casts huge shadow on other corrupt aspects of organization. The game has been dirty for a long time. 

The product is awful. Plain and simple. Just boring. Rule changes, intrepretations and favoritism that cater to the casual fan and fantasy football have destroyed this game. 

Couldn't care less about Kaepernick. If the sport was still football, that wouldn't impact the ratings at all. Gave some an excuse to finally give it up.

Quality of play sucks. Every other play there is a flag. These guys are professionals?  What do they do all week?  Oh that's right they aren't permitted to practice more than 2 hours and can rarely practice in pads. Add to it every 5 minutes there are 5 minutes of commercials. People laughed at Mark Cuban's remarks a couple of years ago but he may just turn out to be right after all. 

I watch the jets and jets only. Never watch another game maybe the super bowl but that's it. Not gambling is part of the reason

but the catering to fantasy football

the over saturation of football between the added Thursday night game and excessive coverage and talk shows, the sh*tty announcers slobbering over any player having a good game  no objectivity 

the diva players

the bad human beings that are players 

the bullsh*t penalties 

the politics

the NFL has become the NBA after every passing play that isn't complete the WR is looking for a flag

just a sh*t product and it's been this way for a while 

if if I didn't love the jets I'd probably never watch another game again

5 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Quality of play sucks. Every other play there is a flag. These guys are professionals?  What do they do all week?  Oh that's right they aren't permitted to practice more than 2 hours and can rarely practice in pads. Add to it every 5 minutes there are 5 minutes of commercials. People laughed at Mark Cuban's remarks a couple of years ago but he may just turn out to be right after all. 

What did he say?

Archived