How Jets' Christian Hackenberg progressed while getting scout team reps with Bryce Petty out

Gas2No99

6 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I have said that where he was picked is definitely debatable, and the one real not hindsight mistake that Maccagnan has made.  

Would love to hear the logic behind picking him in that spot when most thought he would be available later. Mac had to have a reason, it would be nice to hear what it was.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, De-Jet-Erate/Duane said:

Would love to hear the logic behind picking him in that spot when most thought he would be available later. Mac had to have a reason, it would be nice to hear what it was.

Because THERE IS NO GUARANTEE HE WOULD BE THERE when they picked in LATER ROUNDS.

If you want a specific guy, DRAFT him, to hell with projecting "when" he "should" be available - there are NO GUARANTEES especially when preceded by "when most thought." Most thought Favre would last to us in the 2nd round, end result: Browning Nagle. Pure speculation and conjecture on "when" a player should be selected. The only FACT was that he was a 1st round PHYSICAL talent for the QB position and had to clean up mechanics along with ATROCIOUS tape 2/3 years. Good AND Bad reasons to be ambiguous about the kid's prospects of succeeding in the NFL. 

Joke organizations select punks like Cleveland w/Manziel. Hack is a legitimate prospect with franchise potential. Criticism is warranted, but it's NOT the idiot move/waste of a pick so many here are quick to conclude. I wasn't thrilled with the pick initially, but it is what it is now. Roll the dice and avoid Snake Eyes. VIVA RON WOLF!!!:D

8 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Because THERE IS NO GUARANTEE HE WOULD BE THERE when they picked in LATER ROUNDS.

If you want a specific guy, DRAFT him, to hell with projecting "when" he "should" be available - there are NO GUARANTEES especially when preceded by "when most thought." Most thought Favre would last to us in the 2nd round, end result: Browning Nagle. Pure speculation and conjecture on "when" a player should be selected. The only FACT was that he was a 1st round PHYSICAL talent for the QB position and had to clean up mechanics along with ATROCIOUS tape 2/3 years. Good AND Bad reasons to be ambiguous about the kid's prospects of succeeding in the NFL. 

Joke organizations select punks like Cleveland w/Manziel. Hack is a legitimate prospect with franchise potential. Criticism is warranted, but it's NOT the idiot move/waste of a pick so many here are quick to conclude. I wasn't thrilled with the pick initially, but it is what it is now. Roll the dice and avoid Snake Eyes. VIVA RON WOLF!!!:D

I do understand all of that. I think it would make me more comfortable if Macc had a few more drafts under his belt with a proven track record of picking winners and evaluating talent. If Hack pans out our GM will look like a genius in a few years.

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

James-Franklin-and-Hackenberg.jpg

His freshman year was the greatest for a first-year quarterback in Penn State history. Under the tutelage of Bill O'Brien, Hackenberg went 231-for-392, good for a 58.9% completion percentage, with 2,955 yards, 20 touchdowns, and 10 interceptions. The Nittany Lions went 7-5 that year with arguably the two biggest wins of Hackenberg's collegiate career: at home in four overtimes against Michigan and on the road against Wisconsin when the Nittany Lions were 24-point underdogs.

SAR I

that was almost over 3 seasons ago, wasn't even that impressive. It was promising... Macc leveraged his job and our future on a guy who was "Kinda" good, three years ago, in college, under a different coach... 

This thread should read "Jets franchise draft pick progresses with.... scout team? Ouch"... 

3 hours ago, Larz said:

once a week coaching, the sky's the limit lol

this ******* franchise

WTF do you think they should do?  Shut down practices, put all their time into a QB they have no intention of using this season just to satisfy fans who just know better than Chan on the right way to develop a project QB?

1 hour ago, De-Jet-Erate/Duane said:

It depends on who these "most" are that are doing the thinking. I doubt Macc thinks much of their opinion 

2 hours ago, Xtina said:

This part really concerns me. When did (the other) Palmer become this expert QB fixer or tutor? From what I understood they spent no time before the draft working on fundamentals or mechanics, they prepared as though he had that part covered already and were getting ready for a game, breaking down a defense etc. How on earth would that prepare you for the draft????? To me that is totally putting the cart before the horse, at best, and at worst a total waste of time. Obviously he was not with the Jets at that point so they had no say over the matter but I'm hoping he can do better this off season with coaching. And this Patullo guy doesn't fill me with any confidence either. 

When he started working with pre draft QBs?  Guys like Bortels? 

Its what he does. 

2 hours ago, Xtina said:

This part really concerns me. When did (the other) Palmer become this expert QB fixer or tutor? From what I understood they spent no time before the draft working on fundamentals or mechanics, they prepared as though he had that part covered already and were getting ready for a game, breaking down a defense etc. How on earth would that prepare you for the draft????? To me that is totally putting the cart before the horse, at best, and at worst a total waste of time. Obviously he was not with the Jets at that point so they had no say over the matter but I'm hoping he can do better this off season with coaching. And this Patullo guy doesn't fill me with any confidence either. 

Duplicate post

2 hours ago, Xtina said:

Again

In all honesty, I've never seen Petty, Geno, or Fitzpatrick throw the ball as well as Hack did in that scoring drive against the Giants.  He can do things that those other guys just can't do.  I did notice that he started reverting back to some bad habits after he started getting hit a lot.  The OL, particularly Shell, were getting owned and Hack was getting smashed.  

35 minutes ago, Xtina said:

It depends on who these "most" are that are doing the thinking. I doubt Macc thinks much of their opinion 

That is obvious. I wouldn't care much what others thought either. In his position he can't be second guessing himself. Maybe I should have worded my post differently. I should have said I wonder what he saw that others didn't to warrant drafting him when he did. Everyone had an opinion of the kid. Some higher than others. Just wish I could see inside his head and what he was/is thinking and the plan of attack to get it in motion.

5 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

How Jets' Christian Hackenberg something something Propaganda

By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

FLORHAM PARK — Blaj blah, something something, Hack looking better blah blah practice blah blah more reps blah blah blah.

Darryl Slater may be reached at dslater@njadvancemedia.com.

/Zzzzzzzzzz

Wake me when he can play a full Preseason.  Till then, he's irrelevant.

55 minutes ago, Maxman said:

They aren't going to overhaul his mechanics until after the season? Is that a joke? Please tell me it is a joke.

I do NOT get it. This CS blows. This is a cause for great concern. 

5 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

he seems to have the appropriate work ethic and attitude, the physical measurable and arm were always a given. 

It's the intangibles that matter most at the QB position, otherwise Fitzy wouldn't have the support from teammates he does over the other throwing non-running " 'back" in the room. 

As much as posters hate Hackenberg, I maintain faith that he may pan out. 

Most of the forum would have hated the pick no matter who it was. Then when that player makes a few good plays they will act as if they knew this guy was going to be a star. Until of course he makes one bad play (regardless of how many good plays he has made in the past) and they will all scream for him to be cut. Just how this forum is, i sometimes wonder how many posters are actually Patriots fans just looking to be annoying.

4 hours ago, Joe Jets fan said:

This is why I can not understand why Geno is still on this team.  It's stunting the growth of the two young qbs by taking away there reps.  There is no good reason to still have him on this team. 

Petty was hurt until now so you couldn't cut Geno and have hack  as the backup. 

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

They aren't going to overhaul his mechanics until after the season? Is that a joke? Please tell me it is a joke.

Apparently in his general total uninvolved approach to the offense, Coach Bowles thinks he has a 10-year guaranteed locked in contract. Whether the Jets' offense moves the ball or scores is not a concern of his. May be he's spending his days acquainting himself with how the gameclock and timeouts work . QB development-not a big deal to Coach Bowles, not his department. Ask the retread washed up soon to be out of the NFL again offensive coordinator who's big idea is establishing the run like it's 1975 with 2and 9 runs up the middle for reasons known only to himself about that.   

Every football team has natural groups or divisions, and that's not  abad thing simply a reality; position groups, offense/defense, even white/black. What was universal at PSU for Hack's last 3 seasons, across all those groups; HACK IS A COMPLETE DICK. And now NOBODY is stopping this babying his ass BS here. Good work, Macc. 

55 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Apparently in his general total uninvolved approach to the offense, Coach Bowles thinks he has a 10-year guaranteed locked in contract. Whether the Jets' offense moves the ball or scores is not a concern of his. May be he's spending his days acquainting himself with how the gameclock and timeouts work . QB development-not a big deal to Coach Bowles, not his department. Ask the retread washed up soon to be out of the NFL again offensive coordinator who's big idea is establishing the run like it's 1975 with 2and 9 runs up the middle for reasons known only to himself about that.   

Every football team has natural groups or divisions, and that's not  abad thing simply a reality; position groups, offense/defense, even white/black. What was universal at PSU for Hack's last 3 seasons, across all those groups; HACK IS A COMPLETE DICK. And now NOBODY is stopping this babying his ass BS here. Good work, Macc. 

You were on the team and practiced every day? if not, stop this crap.

For the 2nd yr in a row, jets drafted a major project qb.. These are great kids with strong work ethics from what I hear, but lets remember they are not ready to play.. I think in the long run it will benefit them.. They can concentrate solely now on improving every week, instead of worry about game plan prepping like a starter or #2, along with learning how to be a NFL qb.. 

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

James-Franklin-and-Hackenberg.jpg

His freshman year was the greatest for a first-year quarterback in Penn State history. Under the tutelage of Bill O'Brien, Hackenberg went 231-for-392, good for a 58.9% completion percentage, with 2,955 yards, 20 touchdowns, and 10 interceptions. The Nittany Lions went 7-5 that year with arguably the two biggest wins of Hackenberg's collegiate career: at home in four overtimes against Michigan and on the road against Wisconsin when the Nittany Lions were 24-point underdogs.

SAR I

Along those  same lines Al Buddy once scored four touchdowns in A single game. 

4 hours ago, De-Jet-Erate/Duane said:

I do understand all of that. I think it would make me more comfortable if Macc had a few more drafts under his belt with a proven track record of picking winners and evaluating talent. If Hack pans out our GM will look like a genius in a few years.

Stop the presses!

6 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Once Petty is ready,  I think they should. Honestly,  if the jets keep losing  i'd rather cut fitz. 

Petty isn't playing this yr, unless they replace geno with fitz, and he is just as bad then maybe.. I agree, if they pull fitz they might as well cut him..

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

When he started working with pre draft QBs?  Guys like Bortels? 

Its what he does. 

There's very little info about Palmer, and what there is sounds like he mentors rookie QB;s not pre-draft guys, and Bortles is the only "name" one can find

Since January, Palmer has taught his quarterbacks how to break down a playbook using one he designed specifically for them. He took 20 concepts, six protections and 20 formations that are in every NFL playbook and taught the players to install the offense just as they would if they'd just joined a team. "If you get a new playbook and you're new to the pros -- or you've been in the pros for a while -- and you stare at that playbook and try to memorize it, you're screwed," Palmer said. "If you have a process for how you learn that, then you have a chance. Not only a chance, but you can fly through it."

I don't see the point of spending time on this pre-draft. It's not like scouts can measure/evaluate a guy's facility with this. In fact it seems like it would just overwhelm with information before they're on a team. Maybe Hack was able to handle it because he's more advanced in that department but it doesn't seem like there's any point to the timing. it seems to be  putting the cart way before the horse. Or like trying to teach someone to run before they can walk 

8 hours ago, Larz said:

once a week coaching, the sky's the limit lol

this ******* franchise

No reason to hire a second QBC to work with Hackenberg especially, while Patullo has been justifiably focused on Fitz and Geno (the only 2 who could realistically see live action while Petty was out). It might not cost a whopping hundred grand or so over a 4 month season. 

No, I can think of no reason or need to do that at all. So much better to let it wait until the offseason. 

5 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Which is why people saying that Macc is tied to Hackenberg is ridiculous. 

Deep draft at QB

Watson, Kizer, Kaaya, Chad Kelly

Plus some interesting gems. Trubisky from UNC, Dobbs from Tennessee, Terrell from Western MIchigan. And more

And what if he doesn't touch the position until round 5, and combines that with picking up a Mike Glennon type at $5-8M per plus incentives on a 2-3 yr deal?

It's not ridiculous to say until we see him use a similarly high pick (or an outright higher pick) on someone else.

It's fair to guess until proven otherwise. He's drafted 2 QBs in consecutive years. I would be totally unsurprised if the only QB he takes this year is another project in the middle/late rounds.

1 hour ago, section314 said:

You were on the team and practiced every day? if not, stop this crap.

No, but as I've said in other threads, know some recruits who did some PSU camps last 2 summers. And it was basically told to them by everyone there that 1.  Hackenburg is a douchebag of epic proportions to everyone and 2. everyone at PSU hates the guy. Looks like Macc spoke to his buddy Bill O'Brien and disregarded the rest. May be he does know something those people don't. But that doesn't excuse not the CS from working with the guy. 

23 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No reason to hire a second QBC to work with Hackenberg especially, while Patullo has been justifiably focused on Fitz and Geno (the only 2 who could realistically see live action while Petty was out). It might not cost a whopping hundred grand or so over a 4 month season. 

No, I can think of no reason or need to do that at all. So much better to let it wait until the offseason. 

lol

what I find truly bizarre is they already had a whole off season with the kid, and they can't come up with something for him to do between September and February ?  Its like a total lost year on a project QB

footwork drills ? throwing drills ? play madden with petty at the hotel ?

Archived