Why Jets' Todd Bowles doesn't want to fire Chan Gailey right now

Gas2No99

Why Jets' Todd Bowles doesn't want to fire Chan Gailey right now

17759247-mmmain.jpg

Chan Gailey's job is safe for now. (Amanda Marzullo | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)

By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

The Jets' offense is a joke right now. 

During their current four-game losing streak, which dropped them to 1-5, they have scored two real offensive touchdowns, plus one fluke fumble recovery. 

The Jets have been outscored 51-7 in the second half during this skid.

They have scored three, 17, 13, and three points. They have gained 305, 305, 316, and 230 yards. Their 230 yards against the Cardinals on Monday night were their fewest since 2014. The Jets lost Monday's game 28-3. 

But Jets coach Todd Bowles said Tuesday, for the second straight week, that he is not currently considering any changes to his offensive coaching staff. So offensive coordinator Chan Gailey is safe for the time being. 

(Like last week, Bowles was specifically asked Tuesday about possible staff changes, and he answered the question.) 

Why is Bowles standing firm with these offensive coaches, despite the problems? 

"No different than [what] makes me want to stand firm with the players," Bowles said. "We've had success with the coaches and the players that we've had. We're not having success right now in the past four weeks.

"Some [teams] get rid of people and have success. Some [teams] can get rid of people and have failure. You have to know what you have, and you have to navigate it through and work towards getting better as a team. I think we have those people to do that." 

Meanwhile, Bowles acknowledged the obvious about the Jets' playoff hopes. 

"They're not finished, but they don't look bright," he said. "That's for sure. We're trying to win a ball game. We're not even discussing playoffs. We haven't discussed playoffs since the season began, actually." 

The Jets are currently last in the NFL in Football Outsiders' overall DVOA, including 30th in offensive DVOA and 30th in defensive DVOA. So Gailey's players and coaches aren't the only guys who are struggling. 

Every game this year I've seen WIDE OPEN receivers all game that would have been sure touchdowns or big gains. Gailey was too "cute" in the red zone (back when we used to actuslly get in the red zone) and I fault him for that. 

But the biggest problem has been that our erractic throwing, bearded dickless, noodle armed, road scholar, dumbass of quarterback has missed on plays that would have changed the course of every game we've lost in the last 2 years.

I'm not talking about Montana, Marino tight window throws. He's been missing WIDE OPEN guys. You make those easy (for a true pro) plays and we maybe win the division last year, and are maybe .500 this year. 

44 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Every game this year I've seen WIDE OPEN receivers all game that would have been sure touchdowns or big gains. Gailey was too "cute" in the red zone (back when we used to actuslly get in the red zone) and I fault him for that. 

But the biggest problem has been that our erractic throwing, bearded dickless, noodle armed, road scholar, dumbass of quarterback has missed on plays that would have changed the course of every game we've lost in the last 2 years.

I'm not talking about Montana, Marino tight window throws. He's been missing WIDE OPEN guys. You make those easy (for a true pro) plays and we maybe win the division last year, and are maybe .500 this year. 

Rhodes scholar

44 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Every game this year I've seen WIDE OPEN receivers all game that would have been sure touchdowns or big gains. Gailey was too "cute" in the red zone (back when we used to actuslly get in the red zonroad scholar, dumbass of quarterback has missed on plays that would have changed the course of every game we've lost in the last 2 years.

Is a road scholar a sort of traveling scholar? Or a scholar of roads?  I can't figure it out. 

Is this even serious?  Gee rex fired his guy so maybe we should do the same?

The offense overachieved last year due to the OC and the QB having a career year.

Meanwhile the place where we have all the talent and use all our resources is total garbage....get your own house in order fist dumb-ass and get the defense out of the embarrassment category.

Just now, Ken Shroy said:

Perhaps the headline should be:

Why Hasn't Bowles Considered Firing Kacy Rogers?

Chan doesn't play QB and he can't be judged by the lack of points scored until we have a real QB.

100pct. This team was built around their defense,  not the offense. If anyone should be fired, it's Rodgers, not Gailey. 

This team is beyond predictable on both sides of the ball.  Whats more bizarre is that there are no adjustments ever made.  it almost appears as though the opposing teams know what scheme or play we are going to run.  Its pathetic.  Personally, I think its more of a travesty the payroll of our defense and our head coach is supposedly a defensive minded coach and we are bottom of the barrel in almost every defensive statistic.  Is this QB move just a diversion?

My observations of Fitz has been that he scans the defense before the play and looks for his best match up. At that point he stares down his target and throws to that receiver. I've been watching this week in and week out. He will occasionally dump off to his outlet receiver if he can't make that throw or tucks and runs it. I've almost never seen him scan the field and go through his progressions. Opposing defenses know this hence ...11INT's. Also since he has such a weak arm he has to release the ball early to get to the receiver. Dont know how many times the receivers have either stopped to get to the ball, run back to get the ball, had to take it out of the defenders hands or the receiver has to play defense to stop an interception. How can a coaching staff review game film week in and week out and not see this. If he never takes a snap in a Jets uniform again it will be OK with me. Gailys offense is not necessarily the problem other than they are guaranteed to run on 2nd down almost every series.

Just now, BroadwayJets said:

I want you to be specific, JoeWilly12. That way I can disagree accordingly.

The play calling has been horrendous granted a weak armed QB limits what you can do but we have seen nothing from this offense no TD's in 17 quarters of football not even a truck play its been the basic prevent offense thats why we are 1-5. 

Teams stack the box it puts a lot of pressure on the running game we need to get that going and I think with Geno Smith being able to stretch the field that will improve. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

The play calling has been horrendous granted a weak armed QB limits what you can do but we have seen nothing from this offense no TD's in 17 quarters of football not even a truck play its been the basic prevent offense thats why we are 1-5. 

Teams stack the box it puts a lot of pressure on the running game we need to get that going and I think with Geno Smith being able to stretch the field that will improve. 

So, it's Gailey's fault that Fitz has repeatedly thrown short of the first down on third and longs all season? It's Gailey's fault his QB can't scan a defense for his life - thus resulting in teams stacking the box to make sure he has to throw?

Brandon Marshall has caught two TDs in the last 12 quarters, one against the Seahawks, and the other against the Steelers. I don't know where you're getting 17 from. Playcalling can't save a frail-armed qb from failing at his job forever. Gailey's system makes Fitz' job easier, and he can't handle that anymore. Nothing has changed from last year when we scored 2 offensive TDs a game, except playing tougher defenses, which exposes Fitzpatrick. Fitz has been terrible all year, he missed TC and the entire offseason, it's on him.

1 minute ago, BroadwayJets said:

So, it's Gailey's fault that Fitz has repeatedly thrown short of the first down on third and longs all season? It's Gailey's fault his QB can't scan a defense for his life - thus resulting in teams stacking the box to make sure he has to throw?

Brandon Marshall has caught two TDs in the last 12 quarters, one against the Seahawks, and the other against the Steelers. I don't know where you're getting 17 from. Playcalling can't save a frail-armed qb from failing at his job forever. Gailey's system makes Fitz' job easier, and he can't handle that anymore. Nothing has changed from last year when we scored 2 offensive TDs a game, except playing tougher defenses, which exposes Fitzpatrick. Fitz has been terrible all year, he missed TC and the entire offseason, it's on him.

I stated a "weak armed QB" 

3 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

why is he missing them?  is he locking in on one receiver? 

19 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

why is he missing them?  is he locking in on one receiver? 

Yes. Not scanning the field, and even when he does, panics and goes back to his first read. Then when he does get a one on one matchup he likes or wide open, he under/overthrows, or gives up accuracy to accomodate for his lack of strength. 

When the opposing D can disregard whats behind them, stack the box. You're done for. 

Chan's offense is bad, but at least he has Fitz, an old, slow Forte, and Decker's injury to fall back on.

What's Bowles defense for producing an absolutely horrible, among-worst-in-NFL, Defense?

Bowles has elite talent.  And we're horrible on the D.

Firing Chan would be signing his own end-of-year-Termination papers.

Archived