Bowles: No Decision on Backup QB Yet

JetNation

Head Coach Todd Bowles left the door open for either Christian Hackenberg (foreground) or Bryce Petty to win the Jets' back-up quarterback job.

The current NY Jets depth chart at QB is 1) Ryan Fitzpatrick and 2) ??? 3) ???. With Ryan Fitzpatrick returning only due to the Geno Smith injury, it is easy to speculate that his time in the # 1 spot will be short lived. At some point the Jets will need to see what they have in their two young QBs Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg.

The issue right now is who is the # 2 QB behind Fitz. Todd Bowles said the reps for Petty and Hack were about even today. When asked if he made a decision yet he replied, “Closer. It’s not determined yet.”

Injury Notes

Did not practice was Austin Seferian-Jenkins, ankle, Darron Lee, ankle, Brent Qvale, neck, Bruce Carter, quad, Antonio Allen, achilles, Matt Forté, knee, Sheldon Richardson, not injury related, Nick Mangold, ankle, Ryan Clady, shoulder, Buster Skrine, knee. Limited was Bilal Powell, Brandon Marshall, Muhammad Wilkerson, Kellen Davis.

Will Not Play On Sunday

Darron and Brent are definitely out and Bruce Carter is out. Bowles had this to say about Nick Mangold, “It doesn’t look good right now. He’s not running yet. He’s walking. As the days go by and he’s not running yet, it doesn’t look good. But we’ll hold out another day or so.”

Wilkerson and Powell were limited on Thursday, Bowles said he has to see more before he knows if they will play on Sunday.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
FKqYQySp8Zk

Click here to read the full story...

For people that want a 'competition' for every position, I'd expect no less from Bowles.

There are so many moving parts here, I find it hard to make any assessment as to what this means...

Petty is coming back from a probable shoulder separation, may need some time to rebuild his arm strength.  Hack may need some positive reinforcement, and a chance at some reps with the 1's can't hurt.

It will all play out, wish everyone would stop micro analyzing every little blip along the way.  Both of these guys will be here next year, and a healthy competition is just that.

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm not sure why they're creating so much drama about it....it's the back-up QB and if they really don't know who it is by now then Bowles is worse than I thought.

Just because Bowles says "no decision" to the public doesn't mean no decision has been made.

Why do you/we need to know?

When the game starts, and if Fitz gets hurt, we'll know.

Till then, doesn't matter, and no point telling the Browns.

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Just because Bowles says "no decision" to the public doesn't mean no decision has been made.

Why do you/we need to know?

When the game starts, and if Fitz gets hurt, we'll know.

Till then, doesn't matter, and no point telling the Browns.

So the Browns will change their game plan because of a back-up QB?....it's creating a distraction where one isn't necessary. 

6 hours ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

The positive side is this

This week

1. Fitzpatrick
2. Petty or Hackenberg
3. Petty or Hackenberg

is a big upgrade over last week

1. Smith
2. Fitzpatrick
3. Petty or Hackenberg

DID YOU SEE THE BOMB OF A TOUCHDOWN THAT GENO THREW TO ENNNNUUUUNNNNNWWWWAAAAA???????

28 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

So the Browns will change their game plan because of a back-up QB?....it's creating a distraction where one isn't necessary. 

I don't care what the Browns do.  There is nothing gained by the JETS in telling the Browns who the #2 QB is.

There is no reason for anyone to act like a spoiled entitled child.....no one owes fans the knowledge of who the #2 QB will be in advance.

We'll find out in two days.

4 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Its a big secret Bowles and the Jets act as if we have the next coming of Tom Brady on the bench. Hopefully we do.. 

I absolutely love you man, you say exactly what I think and feel LOL.

This CS go out of their way to astound and astonish every week LOL.

15 minutes ago, Larz said:

of course not, deciding in time to give him all the friday reps and weekend to prepare would be too smart, lets let it hang until sunday morning

Lol, are you really that naive?

Once again, what an NFL Head Coach tells the public =/= what an NFL Head Coach does in practice.

Have no fears, whomever needs the Reps for what Bowles intends, will get the Reps.

And if only getting "half reps" made that big a difference.....we were already screwed to start.

I'm not a huge Bowles fan, he's been middling at best, but this fan whining because WE don't know who the #2 is....is laughable.

Too many rustled jimmies over such a total non-issue.

12 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Bowles is a clueless moron who's indecisiveness really worries me if this were a bigger decision, then again I've seen him call timeouts when the clock was stopped.

why are you assuming he doesn't know? 

Archived