Pepper Johnson Declines to Comment on D-Linemen

AFJF

Position coaches required to meet with the media once a year.  Today, D-line coach Pepper Johnson told the media he would not answer any questions about his players and would only discuss himself.  Fantastic.

Jets DL coach Pepper Johnson won't talk about defensive line in bizarre interview

Pepper Johnson
New York Jets defensive line coach Pepper Johnson answers a question after NFL football practice Monday, Sept. 7, 2015, in Florham Park, N.J. (AP Photo | Mel Evans)
Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.comBy Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com 
Email the author | Follow on Twitter 
on November 15, 2016 at 2:31 PM, updated November 15, 2016 at 2:41 PM

FLORHAM PARK — Maybe this is where Sheldon Richardson and Muhammad Wilkerson get their perceived lack-of accountability? 

On Tuesday, Jets assistant Pepper Johnson conducted arguably the strangest media session of the year. The defensive line coach refused to answer questions from reporters about (seriously) the defensive line. 

"Before we get started, there is no Pepper Johnson questions," Johnson said. "I'm not answering any questions." 

Johnson, who is required to speak to the media just three times a year, proceeded to inform reporters he would not talk about himself, his players, or the Jets' defensive line as a whole. 

The Jets certainly haven't been short of issues this season, and the underwhelming performance of Johnson's unit isn't without criticism. Outside of Leonard Williams (six sacks), Muhammad Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson have just five sacks between them.  Not only are there struggles from the two on the field, but off it as well.

Who could Jets target in free agency?

Who could Jets target in free agency?

Could these players help fix the Jets?

Both Wilkerson and Richardson were suspended for the first quarter of the Jets' Week 9 loss to the Dolphins after showing up late to a team meeting. As NJ Advance Media first reported, the two have had issues with tardiness throughout the year.   

"I have been late to meetings," Wilkerson said last week. "I did miss the walk-through prior to the Ravens game. Those actions are unacceptable. I definitely feel that, as a leader on this team, I need to do better. I respect the coaches, I respect everyone in this building. I take responsibility for my actions. 

"Moving forward, it won't be an issue. As a leader on this team, I have to show better and do better. That's something I will do." 

The Jets just awarded Wilkerson a five-year, $86 million contract extension in July. Richardson will be a free agent after 2017, and is looking for a similar payday. 

Connor Hughes may be reached at chughes@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @Connor_J_Hughes. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook.

35 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Position coaches required to meet with the media once a year.  Today, D-line coach Pepper Johnson told the media he would not answer any questions about his players and would only discuss himself.  Fantastic.

thta makesno sense. People ar enot interested in the personalities of Assitant Coaches.

Read the piece in the Post about how Snacks is playing very well for the Giants. Guess we signed the wrong guy long term. I guess the question all along wasn't whether we should sign a pass rusher vs. a run stuffer, but the question should have been, who is the better person, who has more integrity?  Remember Snacks goodbye video to Jet fans - you can see he was real and humble.  In any case, what was once the strong point of the team, the DL, has become a detriment or mediocre at best.

1 minute ago, roscoeword said:

Read the piece in the Post about how Snacks is playing very well for the Giants. Guess we signed the wrong guy long term. I guess the question all along wasn't whether we should sign a pass rusher vs. a run stuffer, but the question should have been, who is the better person, who has more integrity?  Remember Snacks goodbye video to Jet fans - you can see he was real and humble.  In any case, what was once the strong point of the team, the DL, has become a detriment or mediocre at best.

Yes, but that is hindsight and unfair to criticize

2 minutes ago, roscoeword said:

Most of the defensive problems here are all on the DC and the head coach..We have quality players they just arent being used properly.

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

Most of the defensive problems here are all on the DC and the head coach..We have quality players they just arent being used properly.

You just said he did. Because that is the point of his job

The players that Macc thinks are great wouldnt be on most teams rosters. If the Jets didnt sign Fitzpatrick he'd be home on the couch. 

Archived