Report: Bowles and Maccagnan Safe, Jets Will Make Leadership Priority

JetNation

IMG_1661-1.jpg

By Glenn Naughton

In a series of tweets this morning, NFL insider Ian Rapoport may have provided some clarity regarding the Jets murky leadership situation moving forward.

While many fans and pundits have been calling for the heads of General Manager Mike Maccagnan and Head Coach Todd Bowles, it would appear both are safe if Rapoport is right and the Jets don’t intend to “clean house”.

However, it does appear the team has had enough of some of their over-priced, under-performing veterans who are failing to bring enough to the table from a leadership standpoint, and that will have an impact on how the team approaches this off-season.

The absence of leadership at 1 Jets Drive has been obvious for quite some time now.  Will we see a return to the Eric Mangini school of drafting in seeking out a handful of team captains in the upcoming draft?

Whatever approach the Jets take, it appears the operation will once again be overseen by Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
yblJ-9U0_04

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully they are smart enough to get rid of the worst QB in the NFL Ryan Fitzpatrick he's a distraction and a liability. 

I think Macc and Bowles learned a hard lesson bringing him back this season. 

He's the furthest thing from a leader he's a selfish self centered egotistical jerk. 

Bowles and Mac safe? Tough to call at this point. If Petty show's well and the team shows some life in these final games I may be open to thinking about retaining them. Judging by last Mondays debacle this team has quit. Q-U-I-T. That's on Bowles. You want to play your heart for a Coach if you  believe in him. Bowles has lost this team and usually there is no going back from that point. So unless there is major Personnel turnover its going to be hard to get these guys to play for Bowles. Tough to call but I see Bowles gone at least and Mac on a short leash.

6 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Bowles and Mac safe? Tough to call at this point. If Petty show's well and the team shows some life in these final games I may be open to thinking about retaining them. Judging by last Mondays debacle this team has quit. Q-U-I-T. That's on Bowles. You want to play your heart for a Coach if you  believe in him. Bowles has lost this team and usually there is no going back from that point. So unless there is major Personnel turnover its going to be hard to get these guys to play for Bowles. Tough to call but I see Bowles gone at least and Mac on a short leash.

I'd say Bowles is in the same position Rex was in as he entered the final quarter of the season.  Woody doesn't want to dump him, but if the team continues to get beat down, he may not have a choice.

I'd say it's 70/30 in favor of Bowles being around again next season.

25 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Hopefully they are smart enough to get rid of the worst QB in the NFL Ryan Fitzpatrick he's a distraction and a liability. 

I think Macc and Bowles learned a hard lesson bringing him back this season. 

He's the furthest thing from a leader he's a selfish self centered egotistical jerk. 

Literally not a word of this is true. 

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I'd say Bowles is in the same position Rex was in as he entered the final quarter of the season.  Woody doesn't want to dump him, but if the team continues to get beat down, he may not have a choice.

I'd say it's 70/30 in favor of Bowles being around again next season.

I agree to certain extent but it all depends on if the team is competitive. Another major factor would be if Petty show's promise.. I could see them keep Bowles and Gailey around to keep the system in place if Petty looks good in the final games this year. A lot depends on Petty though. If Petty can produce then I agree Bowles and Co will get another chance. If Petty play's terribly then Bowles is a goner IMO. Maybe Mac as well.

Let's be real. Mac and Toilet took over a 4-12 team with a bare roster and horrible prior drafts. Mac threw a bunch of money at vets, fitzgarbage played out of his mind, team played an easy schedule  somehow made it to 10-6. This year, age/laziness caught up to the vets, fitzgarbage regressed to the mean, team played a tougher schedule and had injuries, and crashed. Give Mac another offseason and draft and see what he can do. Toilet will be back for one more year, if he is just as gutless and clueless as this  year out the door he goes!

Three things;

Rapoport is wrong fairly often.

Grain of salt.  Of course this is what leaks out.  What did anyone expect to hear? That they intend to fire one or both with 4 games left?

I am not happy with Macc's drafts thus far.  But I understand giving him more time.  I have seen almost no redeeming qualities from Bowles as a HC.

Just now, RoadFan said:

Three things;

Rapoport is wrong fairly often.

Grain of salt.  Of course this is what leaks out.  What did anyone expect to hear? That they intend to fire one or both with 4 games left?

I am not happy with Macc's drafts thus far.  But I understand giving him more time.  I have seen almost no redeeming qualities from Bowles as a HC.

Could be that nothing leaked, but somebody told him this?

Team may be looking to prepare the fan base for no firings at all.

If true then I hope I'm wrong about not wanting to bring Bowles, the failed defensive guru, back.  So, it wasn't Bowles, it was the vets?  

I do totally agree with ridding ourselves of ALL the high priced vets since 2017 is finally and obviously going to be a rebuild year.  

39 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Could be that nothing leaked, but somebody told him this?

Team may be looking to prepare the fan base for no firings at all.

Sure.  That's possible.  I don't trust Rapoport as a source.  I have seen a couple of times where it feels like a team used him.

Just now, RoadFan said:

Sure.  That's possible.  I don't trust Rapoport as a source.  I have seen a couple of times where it feels like a team used him.

That was my thinking.  They could be using him here.  Not that far fetched.

Either way...today is about Petty!

Just now, AFJF said:

That was my thinking.  They could be using him here.  Not that far fetched.

Either way...today is about Petty!

And hopefully Robby.  I started him in both fantasy leagues.  Over Tyler Boyd in one. Over Adam Thielen and Devante Parker in the other.

42 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Who you replacing him with that would come to the Jets that isn't a pipe dream?

First, I think Bowles stays for 1 more year.   

2nd - i hate the whole Rex argument of "who are you going to get that's better?".  

last - just my opinion but, both Mike McCoy and Tom Cable are improvements over Bowles and offensive coaches with both HC and coordinator experience.   

3 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

2nd - i hate the whole Rex argument of "who are you going to get that's better?".  

last - just my opinion but, both Mike McCoy and Tom Cable are improvements over Bowles and offensive coaches with both HC and coordinator experience.   

Mike McCoy is the Chargers coach correct? Tom Cable being a good coach for the offensive line doesn't make him a good head coach candidate. Also, didn't he break a fellow coaches jaw?

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I'm confused...shouldn't the Jets have great Leaders since they are so vet heavy?  They signed all the FA vets, but now leadership is a priority?  Shouldn't that be priority #1?  Isn't that why you spent all that money? 

This team is dumb.  

It's almost like building a roster around other teams' castoffs is a bad idea.

BIG MACC BIG MACC BIG MACC

32 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I want a first time coordinator. 

McDaniels, McDermott, Schwartz etc

None of those guys are first time coordinators, and 2 are retreads that were horrendous their first go arounds.

L

M

F

A

O

35 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

Mike McCoy is pathetically awful and Tom Cable punched someone on his staff the last time he was a Head Coach to add to his long history of violence.  Multiple claims of abuse to wives/girlfriends and a (hopefully) former alcoholic.

GREAT CHOICES.

Archived