I don;t care about draft position, damn it, it feels good to win

ASH1962

I don't know.  Sure I was happy we pulled out a win.  But once again we came out flat and looked like dog excrement on both sides of the ball.  And against a team that is actually worse than us.  If not for their kicker choking on two makable kicks, we still lose.  For years now, we as Jet fans become ecstatic over meaningless wins like yesterday's.  Our Super Bowl is now beating bottom of the barrel losers like the Niners.  sad.

Folks, as much as I don't like the direction Bowles is leading us, I would absolutely lose my mind if Chip Kelly were our HC.  What a complete moron who is out of his depth in the NFL.  And to look at that stupid grin on his face?   Forget it.  

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First of all it would be impossible to lose out since the browns and 49ers have 1 win between them lol.  Secondly cheering for the team to lose out(when there is no QB good enough in this draft) is crazy

1 minute ago, munchmemory said:

I don't know.  Sure I was happy we pulled out a win.  But once again we came out flat and looked like dog excrement on both sides of the ball.  And against a team that is actually worse than us.  If not for their kicker choking on two makable kicks, we still lose.  For years now, we as Jet fans become ecstatic over meaningless wins like yesterday's.  Our Super Bowl is now beating bottom of the barrel losers like the Niners.  sad.

Folks, as much as I don't like the direction Bowles is leading us, I would absolutely lose my mind if Chip Kelly were our HC.  What a complete moron who is out of his depth in the NFL.  And to look at that stupid grin on his face?   Forget it.  

What exactly do you want?  Them to just roll over and die.  We were never getting the top 3 picks anyway because those teams have like 2 total wins lol.  We are still getting a high pick AND we give Petty a shot to see if he can at least be a serviceable QB(which is all we need)

Just now, Jets723 said:

First of all it would be impossible to lose out since the browns and 49ers have 1 win between them lol.  Secondly cheering for the team to lose out(when there is no QB good enough in this draft) is crazy

What exactly do you want?  Them to just roll over and die.  We were never getting the top 3 picks anyway because those teams have like 2 total wins lol.  We are still getting a high pick AND we give Petty a shot to see if he can at least be a serviceable QB(which is all we need)

Well, for one:  I want them to show up and actually be prepared to play.  That falls on Bowles and his "coaching staff", who should all be blown up in a midget car Shriner's drive. Did you see that "offensive" line yesterday?  All those sacks against a Niners team which sucks worse than us?  Come on, show some pride.

I could give you more examples of "what I want", but it would most likely be lost on "modern day" Jet fans who have become accustomed to a win like yesterday's as acceptable if not laudable.  Against a half-way decent team, our effort yesterday would have resulted in a 40-3 blowout.

1 minute ago, munchmemory said:

Well, for one:  I want them to show up and actually be prepared to play.  That falls on Bowles and his "coaching staff", who should all be blown up in a midget car Shriner's drive. Did you see that "offensive" line yesterday?  All those sacks against a Niners team which sucks worse than us?  Come on, show some pride.

I could give you more examples of "what I want", but it would most likely be lost on "modern day" Jet fans who have become accustomed to a win like yesterday's as acceptable if not laudable.  Against a half-way decent team, our effort yesterday would have resulted in a 40-3 blowout.

You are misunderstanding BIGTIME.  When did I praise their win?   It was a UGLY UGLY win.  The o line sucked I agree.  The first quarter there was no effort I agree.  The reason people are a bit happy is because the team didn't lay down and die against the lowly 49ers.  Also Petty showed some guts which is nice.  So NOBODY is praising the win but they are just happy with the result....UNDERSTAND?

12 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I almost spit out my drink when Trent Green referred to Kelly as an "offensive mastermind."B) 

draft position is incredibly overrated, good teams will find good players no matter where they pick, bad teams will screw it up no matter where they pick.  I always root for wins and yesterday was fun to see them not quit after they looked lifeless in the first half.

Listen. Browns,bears, and 49ers are locked in basically to top 3 picks in draft. So yes as the game was going on I wanted them to win the game and in the process I liked powells performance and petty did some good things. We're still gonna et a high pick no matter what. What I didn't like was them rolling over the week before.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

12 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Glad it feels good. You'll surely remember these as time goes on. I know when I think of those December wins of 2014 I get nothing but joyous feelings. There's really nothing more satisfying than trading long term sensibility for short term gratification. That's the key to success for every team that rebounds from situations like this.

In fairness, the cost of this win, long term, should be fairly minimal, and possibly nothing at all.  We were at 5 before, and we're still at 5 now, tied with the Rams.  No?

11 minutes ago, gEYno said:

In fairness, the cost of this win, long term, should be fairly minimal, and possibly nothing at all.  We were at 5 before, and we're still at 5 now, tied with the Rams.  No?

We pick ahead of the Rams though because they beat us, That 9-6 loss was painful and epic and will go down in history as maybe the most important loss in Jets history maybe.

5 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

SO YOU'RE SAYING WINNING YESTERDAY SCREWED EVERYTHING UP!!!! NOW I AM ANGRY!!!!!

THIS TEAM CAN'T EVEN STINK RIGHT!

Not saying that at all. Just edifying how draft positioning works. It does not matter if a team beat you, or vice versa. Teams tied, are factored positioning by strength of schedule. Weaker schedule drafts ahead, in the first round.

27 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We never tank properly.  Yesterday sucked for our long-term future.  I don't care if there aren't likely to be any sure-thing QB's in the next draft.  Draft capital means more than anything right now. 

No, to see whether Petty can be our QB means more. That changes the draft a ton

59 minutes ago, gEYno said:

We're at 6 now, the Rams (Titans) overtook us. They have a worse strength of schedule.

But they play the Niners in 2 weeks, so we might swap positions again 

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Rams would be mad to take another QB. I dont know who they would take

Rams/Titans are literally in the perfect position for a team to leap us and take said QB, though.  That's the issue.

Jets could really benefit from that trade down as well, which is always less valuable per slot.

In all likelihood, this past win is a negative.  But, not that terribly negative.

33 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

No, to see whether Petty can be our QB means more. That changes the draft a ton

Exactly. I have been rooting for the Jets to lose with Fitz the last few weeks because, well, winning with Fitz is meaningless. However, winning with Petty is important. It shows that he can be an NFL QB, even if it's just as a backup. I am not saying this win proves that Petty can play, but if he finds a way to beat the Fish or the BIlls and plays OK against the Pats, that would help our decision making process heading into next year. 
I think we could go with Petty/Hack and a vet to compete in camp. If Petty is awful, then we probably need to draft another QB. 

18 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

I was thinking and sort of hoping the Jets would lose today at the outset, but I have to admit, as the game went on, and Petty started to make some throws, as Powell started running well, as we crept closer and closer until we actually ran a successful 2:00 offense to produce the game tying FG, my desires changed to wanting us to win and cheering as though the game mattered. I don't know, I just feel better when we win, whatever the record.

I was expecting the O to  F**k it up at the end.

I was expecting the defense to fold on the last drive of the game / opening drive of OT, but they didn't.

I said to myself, no way Petty has the ba**s to bring us all the way back and win in OT.

Damn I feel good that we won even though it serves no purpose really. Why is that?

bittersweet because if they had played as well in 4 more games they'd be right in the hunt right now for a playoff spot.  granted it was the 49ers but their defense was getting [ressure on petty all afternoon but he still managed to do enough.  and why powell hasn't been used more is a mystery.  the guy is good, always upbeat, and can run and catch pretty well.  he can also block.

15 hours ago, dbatesman said:

those games were vital in the team learning how to win

I know you guys love to bring this up to point and laugh and think its super funny because its stupid and a stupid person said it once...but seriously, do you not think it's important (assuming Petty has a future) for him to learn how to win Football games?  

You act like this isnt a thing but it absolutely is.  Teams need to learn how to win.  Especially young ones that lose more often than not.  Most especially, when its a young QB at helm (which was the case when I originally made this statement that you love to mock).  Winning and losing is embedded into culture.  There's a reason why the same teams always win and the same teams always lose.

I know the Jets have a great history of drafting so I'm sure they wouldnt blow a high pick but do you really think that draft position is more important than a QB finding himself even if it means that Jets might pick 8th instead of 3rd?

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

I know you guys love to bring this up to point and laugh and think its super funny because its stupid and a stupid person said it once...but seriously, do you not think it's important (assuming Petty has a future) for him to learn how to win Football games?  

You act like this isnt a thing but it absolutely is.  Teams need to learn how to win.  Especially young ones that lose more often than not.  Most especially, when its a young QB at helm (which was the case when I originally made this statement that you love to mock).  Winning and losing is embedded into culture.  There's a reason why the same teams always win and the same teams always lose.

I know the Jets have a great history of drafting so I'm sure they wouldnt blow a high pick but do you really think that draft position is more important than a QB finding himself even if it means that Jets might pick 8th instead of 3rd?

Weird how we had a losing culture in 2014, then a winning culture last year, then a losing culture again this year.

7 hours ago, munchmemory said:

No-one in this thread, other than you, has said anything about the Superbowl. All that was being said was that it felt good to win a game.

7 hours ago, munchmemory said:

That offensive line was missing it's starting left tackle, starting right tackle, and starting center, and at one point lost its backup right tackle to injury so played a fifth round rookie. And again, you're reading words that aren't there - no-one has used the word acceptable, or laudable. 

17 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Weird how we had a losing culture in 2014, then a winning culture last year, then a losing culture again this year.

That doesnt really answer my question, like at all. 

And I'm pretty sure 1 good year doesnt change the culture.  

Besides the fact 2014 was a 2nd year QB, 2015 a 10 year QB and 2016 a 2 year QB.  Usually those 2nd year QBs need to learn and stuff. 

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

That doesnt really answer my question, like at all. 

And I'm pretty sure 1 good year doesnt change the culture.  

Besides the fact 2014 was a 2nd year QB, 2015 a 10 year QB and 2016 a 2 year QB.  Usually those 2nd year QBs need to learn and stuff. 

My answer is it's as dumb an opinion now as it was in 2014. The reason why the same teams always win and the same teams always lose is the former have good coaches and QBs and the latter don't. Bowles and Petty either suck or they don't. Playing spoiler for the Fins and Pats over the next few weeks won't magically make them better, just like losing out won't magically make them worse.

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We never tank properly.  Yesterday sucked for our long-term future.  I don't care if there aren't likely to be any sure-thing QB's in the next draft.  Draft capital means more than anything right now. 

Who is there to tank for?  Fournette? Peppers lol

23 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

My answer is it's as dumb an opinion now as it was in 2014. The reason why the same teams always win and the same teams always lose is the former have good coaches and QBs and the latter don't. Bowles and Petty either suck or they don't. Playing spoiler for the Fins and Pats over the next few weeks won't magically make them better, just like losing out won't magically make them worse.

Well, I think you're flat out wrong and I'm more than confident 99% of coaches and players would side with me on this argument.  Nothing replaces live reps, learning how to prepare and ultimately, learning how to win in the NFL.  Even if it's just winning your assignment.  It matters.  A ton.   And you dont sacrifice those things for something that is basically a complete crap shoot. 

All those experiences give you confidence as a player.  It also gives your team confidence in you.  Your coaches call different games.  You prepare different, the team responds different.  It literally impacts everything. 

We can agree to disagree but you're way off.  

I look forward for you next patty cake with your boo.  It amuses me you guys care so much.

Archived