Marcus Gilchrist Tore His Patellar Tendon

David Harris

I'd imagine his career with the Jets is over.

This is one of the worst injuries in sports. Often it takes two years to get better. Jimmy Graham has come back from it. Victor Cruz never has.  Gilchrist was probably going to be let go anyway and this should cement that.

nice enough guy, hope the rehab goes well

I feel bad for him. He played well for us last year but I have to believe he was part of the problem this year in our awful secondary.

The Patellar tears are the worst. It happened to Jim Leonard and he was never the same player after it. Cruz isn't the same player either. It's basically a 2 year recovery. Hope he makes it back to the NFL.

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

At least gilchrist seemed to be trying.  Revis will be come even more of an avoid contact ghost than he was before and this will open up all of the 'move revis to FS talk'

At this point I wish we had a fast forward button on Revis time with the Jets. Become nothing short of nauseating watching him feign playing football. 

2 hours ago, sourceworx said:

I'm never happy when a player gets hurt, but the pass defense improved rather dramatically after Gilchrist and Skrine both left the game. 

Skrine has been awful all season. Just sad watching him out there getting burned, committing penalties, etc. Now, my belief throughout has been that hes suited for the slot and simply cannot handle playing on the outside. But at his salary, with budding starters like Burris, Roberts and Williams on the roster getting paid half as much, the Jets may want to eat the 5 mil in guarantees and let him go or at least re-structure. He is overpaid, he is under-performing and not properly utilized. 

Gilchrist has been the most solid player in the Jets secondary all season. This injury is bad news. Once again, b/c of his salary he will most likely be a cap casualty.

So far this is the biggest black eye for Macc. He brought in Revis, Skrine and Gilchrist in an attempt to re-build the Jets secondary. This offseason will be an admission of failure in doing that and you may see all three let go and Macc attempt to do a fresh rebuild of the secondary via FA and the draft. Kind of unfortunate that Macc get all the blame (and don;t get me wrong- he should) b/c nobody expected Revis to fall of a cliff, Gilchrist played well but this injury will be his undoing, and Skrine was forced to play on the outside where he clearly struggled.

Hopefully we get it right this year. Bring in a guy like Gilmore, draft a CB early and  if we are lucky Burris develops into a legit starter on the outside and Roberts can go back into the slot where he is used to playing.   

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Let's hope Middleton balls out. We need a youth influx.

I like Middleton a lot. Especially as a ball hawk FS. He's not much of a tackler but has good speed, athleticism and those long arms. He is the type of FS we need helping over the top. Having said that, has he learned enough of the NFL game to start? Is he a liability in man coverage were the Jets to ask him for that once in a while? Hopefully he has gotten better on PS this season. You would think so as the Jets brought him up and he is now on the roster. 

3 hours ago, sourceworx said:

I'm never happy when a player gets hurt, but the pass defense improved rather dramatically after Gilchrist and Skrine both left the game. 

Another sign that Bowles sticks with struggling players far too long... as if we didn't already know. Looks at Fitz. Looks at Revis.

30 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

At this point I wish we had a fast forward button on Revis time with the Jets. Become nothing short of nauseating watching him feign playing football. 

Revis had is best game of the year yesterday!!  This is only because they never threw his way.  Bad plan by the Niners.  

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Let's hope Middleton balls out. We need a youth influx.

True. I would expect to see Ronald Martin too. It's too bad Dion Bailey got hurt this offseason, he showed flashes in 2015.

3 hours ago, sourceworx said:

Buster Skrine is the worst free agency signing of Macc's short career and that's saying something.

I don't like to see anyone get hurt, but I'm happy not to have to watch Gilchrist continue to take bad angles and be caught out of position on a regular basis.  He has been brutal this year, but I wish him a speedy recovery and hope he finds a job with another team.

Skrine flat out sucks.  Hopefully the Jets can get out from under his bloated contract. 

Archived