So glad the Jets signed Matt Forte

Doggin94it

8 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

That was an excellent allocation of scarce resources; he added a dimension the team just didn't have and came at a reasonable price.  Can you imagine where we'd be this year without him?

Of all the legit things to complain about Mac, this is the one you choose?  LOL.  The Forte contract isn't all that bad and injuries can happen any time to any player. I liked Forte better than most Jets RBs in the last 10 years. 

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

Forte has been nothing great, but picking up a starter for $4M is very low on the long list of things there is to bitch about with the Jets.  This is nothing more than a pretty poor attempt to come up with something new to complain about, as if the Jets haven't already given us more than enough.

Oh please we could have drafted Jordan Howard or CJ Prosise 

Forte was a decent grab for the money. I would have like to see him sharing more time throughout the season with Powell. Would have liked to see him get more screens and plays with him in the flats. Powell ran violently yesterday. If he ran like that all season and got more playing time he might have been spent by now.

4 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

You know why Powell looked good yesterday? Because he wasn't run into the ground in the weeks prior. That's what a two back system is

right.  even with rex powell was used sparingly.  he also seemed to get nicked up a lot.  some guys are late bloomers and grow out of it.

10 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

That was an excellent allocation of scarce resources; he added a dimension the team just didn't have and came at a reasonable price.  Can you imagine where we'd be this year without him?

Agreed.... but to your question where would we be....  last place AFC East.  Oh wait.....?

10 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

You don't  much like running a finesse-type runner between the tackles, do you? Looks like they had Ivory and because Forte has a nice stat history, plug him in in the same role. Meanwhile the guy who can do that, Powell, was already on the roster. So they cannot scout free agents nor self-scout. 

2 hours ago, drdetroit said:

Oh please we could have drafted Jordan Howard or CJ Prosise 

What's your point?  Yes, the Jets could have used a mid-round pick on a RB, one of whom has hardly played this year, and both of whom they still could have drafted regardless of what they had done in FA.  Yet this leads you to some sort of conclusion about the signing of another player long before any of that was even an option?  I would say there are some holes in that logic, but this connection you're trying to make isn't even based in reality.

23 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

It really isn't Matt Forte's fault that he was used absolutely the wrong way, being pounded up the middle constantly and never in the passing game. Nor, is it his fault that Ryan Fitzpatrick was the quarterback and that the defense sucks balls. 

14 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

What's your point?  Yes, the Jets could have used a mid-round pick on a RB, one of whom has hardly played this year, and both of whom they still could have drafted regardless of what they had done in FA.  Yet this leads you to some sort of conclusion about the signing of another player long before any of that was even an option?  I would say there are some holes in that logic, but this connection you're trying to make isn't even based in reality.

It's a red flag

Instead of simply drafting a younger, better Rb with way less mileage Mac signed a big name and spent a lot of money 

7 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

It's a red flag

Instead of simply drafting a younger, better Rb with way less mileage Mac signed a big name and spent a lot of money 

If you think $4M for a starter is a lot of money, I'm not sure what to tell you about that.  The concept of ignoring FA because maybe you'll get a better guy in the draft would be pure idiocy.  A relatively cheap short-term signing in no way stops a team from still drafting a player, particularly when you're talking about mid-to-late rounds.

Using hindsight to try to use one team's 5th round pick as fuel for the criticism of another team's FA signing is laughable.  Particularly when the 5th rounder in question was a backup until forced into action due to injury.  Well, either him or another team's 3rd rounder who has hardly even played this year.  I'm really not sure what your argument is here, because it doesn't make any sense.  You don't have to like Forte and that's fine, but the connection you're trying to make here doesn't really exist.

7 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

If you think $4M for a starter is a lot of money, I'm not sure what to tell you about that.  The concept of ignoring FA because maybe you'll get a better guy in the draft would be pure idiocy.  A relatively cheap short-term signing in no way stops a team from still drafting a player, particularly when you're talking about mid-to-late rounds.

Using hindsight to try to use one team's 5th round pick as fuel for the criticism of another team's FA signing is laughable.  Particularly when the 5th rounder in question was a backup until forced into action due to injury.  Well, either him or another team's 3rd rounder who has hardly even played this year.  I'm really not sure what your argument is here, because it doesn't make any sense.  You don't have to like Forte and that's fine, but the connection you're trying to make here doesn't really exist.

It's not the worst move ever.  It's not the Muhammed Wilkerson contract disaster

But it still not a good move at all

2 hours ago, drdetroit said:

It's a red flag

Lots of wrong assumptions here.  Like that he would have found a 1,000 yard rusher who can catch the ball out of the backfield in the draft.  Or that his milage is an issue given the length of the contract and the money invested/committed.  

And of course that he spent a lot of money.  Or didnt have it available.

Lets also face it, if Fitz didnt suck so badly, if teams didnt bring everyone up on the line against the Jets, if we ever played with a lead, Fortes worth would be so much greater

11 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Lots of wrong assumptions here.  Like that he would have found a 1,000 yard rusher who can catch the ball out of the backfield in the draft.  Or that his milage is an issue given the length of the contract and the money invested/committed.  

And of course that he spent a lot of money.  Or didnt have it available.

Lets also face it, if Fitz didnt suck so badly, if teams didnt bring everyone up on the line against the Jets, if we ever played with a lead, Fortes worth would be so much greater

You don't spend $4 mil per on a part-time running back.  We could have gotten a decent OL or TE FA for that money.  

3 hours ago, drdetroit said:

You don't spend $4 mil per on a part-time running back.  We could have gotten a decent OL or TE FA for that money.  

He's their lead full time RB on his way to 1,000 yards.  I dont get the part time part.  Or even why it would be important if hes producing what you want from the position when you dont have anyone else that you trust with that responsibility 

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 8:19 AM, OH THE PAIN said:

He's breaking down , just like Ivory .

He's breaking down for the reasons I pointed out early in the season Forte 30 carries 31 years old Powell who is very capable of sharing the load 5-7 carries 27 years old

Chan Gailey is an idiot & burned out Forte early instead of splitting carries with Powell, who is just as good right now in his career. How many carries did Forte get in the 1st 4 games? I know he had a lot vs the Bills. Player usage has been awful under this coaching staff.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Chan Gailey is an idiot & burned out Forte early instead of splitting carries with Powell, who is just as good right now in his career. How many carries did Forte get in the 1st 4 games? I know he had a lot vs the Bills. Player usage has been awful under this coaching staff.

Chan is an idiot but Todd Bowles decides who plays Chan just calls the plays. 

On 12/12/2016 at 9:20 AM, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, you'd have to look for another signing to complain about.

He was on his way to another 1,000 yard season.  Is a solid veteran presence.  Wasn't expensive.  His next season commitment is minimal.

Bilal played well in one game, time to moan like it's a given he would have filled the role the entire season.  

Nothing wrong with bringing Forte on.

Hogwash. Try to look at this from the standpoint of someone who isn't looking to rationalize every/any move the Jets make. If another team had done this you'd be patting Maccagnan on the back for not making the same mistake himself.

The two of them together will count nearly $10M next year. Therefore in 2017 the Jets will be among the highest payers in the league for team RBs as a group. The Jets' RB positional spending is scheduled to be #2 in the NFL behind only Minnesota. This privilege further cost a pair of 2017 compensatory draft picks to boot.

Sign/re-sign one of them, fine. Two of them, both with 2 years fully guaranteed, not fine. With both of them guaranteed to return at significant RB money for the pair, we likely don't look for a (younger) FA upgrade, nor higher rounds in the draft, until 2018 at the earliest. They're good players, but not that good.

Competitive rebuild, lol. What an asshat. 

18 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Hogwash. Try to look at this from the standpoint of someone who isn't looking to rationalize every/any move the Jets make. If another team had done this you'd be patting Maccagnan on the back for not making the same mistake himself.

The two of them together will count nearly $10M next year. Therefore in 2017 the Jets will be among the highest paid in the league for team RBs as a group. The Jets' RB positional spending is scheduled to be #2 in the NFL behind only Minnesota. This privilege further cost a pair of 2017 compensatory draft picks to boot.

Sign/re-sign one of them, fine. Two of them, both with 2 years fully guaranteed, not fine. With both of them guaranteed to return at significant RB money for the pair, we likely don't look for a (younger) FA upgrade, nor higher rounds in the draft, until 2018 at the earliest. They're good players, but not that good.

Honestly, I have a feeling that sometimes the Jets need to overpay just to get FAs to come here. They are not a prime target for FAs.

If they are looking for a RB with breakaway speed, they can find that anywhere in the draft.

BTW, even Minnesota having a higher paid RB (group) allocation is just a maybe. Peterson counts $18M, and it's all new money (meaning they can recoup all $18M of that cap charge by cutting him). If Minnesota does cut Peterson, or gets him to agree to a significant-enough pay cut at age 32 (one of these two seems likely) their positional cost will drop below the Jets. What does this mean?

In 2017, the NY Jets could very possibly have the single highest paid RB group in the NFL. 

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

BTW, even Minnesota having a higher paid RB (group) allocation is just a maybe. Peterson counts $18M, and it's all new money (meaning they can recoup all $18M of that cap charge by cutting him). If Minnesota does cut Peterson, or gets him to agree to a significant-enough pay cut at age 32 (one of these two seems likely) their positional cost will drop below the Jets. What does this mean?

In 2017, the NY Jets could very possibly have the single highest paid RB group in the NFL. 

And given our QB setup, they will be earning their money. I want to see some creativity from the OC by using them

On 12/14/2016 at 1:41 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

The two of them together will count nearly $10M next year. Therefore in 2017 the Jets will be among the highest payers in the league for team RBs as a group. The Jets' RB positional spending is scheduled to be #2 in the NFL behind only Minnesota. This privilege further cost a pair of 2017 compensatory draft picks to boot.

Hogwash? There isnt a chance in hell that I would be patting anyone for not doing this.  Do love it when someone tells me how I would feel, what I thnk about something.  I'lll say it again if you want, which part of what I listed is wrong?  Thats he was on his way to 1,000 yards?  That hes a good lockerroom guy?  That he wasnt that expensive?  That his commitment isnt large next season?  

Who would have been available that would put up the same type production as a lower cost alternative?

Have no idea, nor do I care actually, what the 2nd year positional spending number is slated to be next season.  Is it etched in stone?  Is it killing our cap?  Is it preventing the Jets from operating? How much separates the top 10 teams?  If they had the same number but others spent more it should make us feel better or worse?  Changes the reasoning behind Forte and the commitment?  No it doesnt

Pretty much to do about nothing.  

46 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Hogwash? There isnt a chance in hell that I would be patting anyone for not doing this.  Do love it when someone tells me how I would feel, what I thnk about something.  I'lll say it again if you want, which part of what I listed is wrong?  Thats he was on his way to 1,000 yards?  That hes a good lockerroom guy?  That he wasnt that expensive?  That his commitment isnt large next season?  

Who would have been available that would put up the same type production as a lower cost alternative?

Have no idea, nor do I care actually, what the 2nd year positional spending number is slated to be next season.  Is it etched in stone?  Is it killing our cap?  Is it preventing the Jets from operating? How much separates the top 10 teams?  If they had the same number but others spent more it should make us feel better or worse?  Changes the reasoning behind Forte and the commitment?  No it doesnt

Pretty much to do about nothing.  

The answer is a rebuilding team with no QB and holes at nearly half its starting positions, who's also up against the salary cap, don't burn a pair of draft picks for a 2 yr lock in for $9-10M/yr for a mediocre producing pair of RBs. 

1000 yards is not good, given the number of carries he'd have taken to reach that total. It's a cute/round number, but it's only notably good if he was also on pace to carry the ball barely 200x.

What it means is they (he) used up 4 acquisitions on two short term players. But while short term, they're both expensive enough that he generally stays away from the position next year despite their lowly production. And yes their pay actually is etched in stone, unless they retire or hold out. That's what a guaranteed salary means. 

The point is Maccagnan, like the overpromoted clod he is, surrendering draft picks to make this meh group of declining skill RBs the most expensive in the NFL. It speaks to his poor judgment and, by extension, his incompetence.

Sign one as a UFA? Meh, but I'm on board if they're going with a young QB all year long. Sign both as UFAs to trot out Ryan Fitzpatrick? Maccagnan's a checkers player in a chess tournament.

Also it's much ado not much to do. 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The answer is a rebuilding team with no QB and holes at nearly half its starting positions, who's also up against the salary cap, don't burn a pair of draft picks for a 2 yr lock in for $9-10M/yr for a mediocre producing pair of RBs. 

1000 yards is not good, given the number of carries he'd have taken to reach that total. It's a cute/round number, but it's only notably good if he was also on pace to carry the ball barely 200x.

What it means is they (he) used up 4 acquisitions on two short term players. But while short term, they're both expensive enough that he generally stays away from the position next year despite their lowly production. And yes their pay actually is etched in stone, unless they retire or hold out. That's what a guaranteed salary means. 

The point is Maccagnan, like the overpromoted clod he is, surrendering draft picks to make this meh group of declining skill RBs the most expensive in the NFL. It speaks to his poor judgment and, by extension, his incompetence.

Sign one as a UFA? Meh, but I'm on board if they're going with a young QB all year long. Sign both as UFAs to trot out Ryan Fitzpatrick? Maccagnan's a checkers player in a chess tournament.

Also it's much ado not much to do. 

Says you.

But the Jets view the RB position as a necessity, especially if theyre going to be breaking in a young QB.  Each situation is different.  I hear what youre saying but again I dont see the big deal, its not huge money no matter how many times some say it or high picks that were traded for a position that can mask a whole lot of struggling from a young QB and really help him along.  Forte was done in my an injured line, trailing more than anticipated taking away runs and a ineffective QB that left teams jamming the box and making it impossible for anyone to run consistently. Still Forte was on a pace for 1,000.  

You want to call Macc an over promoted clod because you dont agree with him, dont know what to say.  Dont agree there either.  Dont really remember anyone calling him that when he used his over promoted talents to get us to 10 wins and he was voted exec of the year.  Then he was in Macc we trust.  You cant make up how this fanbase deals in what have you done for me lately.

We're obviously way off on agreeing on this one, I'll check out

Archived