Coughlin possibly to replace Rex Ryan...

southparkcpa

8 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

I would disagree about the more talent, but the Bowles thing is hard to judge. His team quit on him more than once. Clearly the O has talent issues on the line and ..., but the D for all their deficiencies should certainly be playing better. And the ST suck.Two weeks ago I would have said give him another year, but I am not sure. I am on the fence at this point.

You lose the vets, they have to go or the coach has to go, can't be both ways. The young guys are still hustling their azzes off, so, cut all the high priced Vets & let Bowles dictate his authority & want he wants out of his young team going forward, or if your keeping veterans, he's gotta go!

11 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I think your opinion is fair, I just hate hitting the reset button after 2 years. I think he should get one more year, if we improve he stays, if we are a disaster again he goes.  

Agreed.

7 minutes ago, Jetster said:

You lose the vets, they have to go or the coach has to go, can't be both ways. The young guys are still hustling their azzes off, so, cut all the high priced Vets & let Bowles dictate his authority & want he wants out of his young team going forward, or if your keeping veterans, he's gotta go!

Fair point on the vets. As long as the players you want to keep haven't quit, that I guess he hasn't lost those that matter. Most of these vets have to go IMO regardless of what they do with Bowles.

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

look at it this way, w/ Super Bowl championship talent on his roster he won 10 and 9 games.  Coughlin is a good coach, he's not a better coach than rex and the last time Rex has healthy talent to win anything was probably 2011.  

Coughlin has superior intelligence so that's an advantage right there.

I can see Coughlin in SF replacing Kelly.

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

I think they are in the same ballpark.  both good coaches, neither great.  rex's teams overachieve more often than not, Coughlin's teams underachieve more often than not

No one rewrites history like you do.  

27 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Bills defense under that scrub Schwartz

2014 - 4th in points allowed, 4th in yards per game

Bills under DeGenius Rex

2015 - 15th points allowed, 19th yards per game

2016 - 14th  points allowed, 16th yards per game.

STOP with the damn facts. REX is a defensive genius.  Dont let the facts cloud a good story.

Buffalo has the same problem with coaches that the Jets have...they hire a coordinator in chief instead of a head coach. Hiring the guy who has a really great scheme is foolish. You want to hire the guy who can hire good coaches and understands that there are 3 phases to the game. That way their not married to "their" scheme and installing a coordinator because he "knows their system".

Both teams keep hiring a guy that runs one side of the ball and then just hands off the other side to somebody. That's not a head coach.

43 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I for one really really hope that this does NOT happen!!!

Coughlin IMO would make that team very very formidable!!

37 minutes ago, NYJ37/12 said:

Woody should have already made the call to Coughlin. How perfect would that be for both sides? Tom gets to stick it to the Giants and the Jets get a great head coach who can straighten this franchise out in a similar fashion as Parcells. Make the call.

Of all the Bozo's we've paraded into the Jets HC position, IMO, Coughlin would be worth the risk. The naysayers bring up good points BUT he is is solid, a winner and could do NO WORSE than the last 6 years.

8 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

I for one would not want to see this..........

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2016/12/nfl_coaching_rumors_bills_want_to_hire_tom_coughli.html

T]he Pegulas have been in conversations for some time now with Tom Coughlin, and Coughlin is the front-runner to be the next head coach of the Bills following this season.

Reports of the Bills owners' interest in Coughlin date back to last summer, and our sources are telling us that conversations began again a few weeks ago and that the interest is mutual.

Unlike some former head coaches of Coughlin's stature who need to be persuaded, coerced and wined and dined to return to the sidelines, Coughlin can't wait. We are told he will jump at the first top job that is offered, which may be why the Bills appear ready to move on from Ryan so quickly

I think Coughlin is done, based on is last few years with the Gs.  I say go ahead, sign him.

If the Bills must fire Rex, then I hope this happens, it would be the next best thing.  Actually, Jeff Fisher would be the next best thing, but Coughlin would do.   He had the two miracle runs with average Giants teams, but otherwise has a track record of mediocrity.

1 hour ago, Green DNA said:

If the Bills must fire Rex, then I hope this happens, it would be the next best thing.  Actually, Jeff Fisher would be the next best thing, but Coughlin would do.   He had the two miracle runs with average Giants teams, but otherwise has a track record of mediocrity.

Does the track record of mediocrity include building the Jacksonville Jaguars from scratch and going to the AFCG with them twice?

10 hours ago, drdetroit said:

Does the track record of mediocrity include building the Jacksonville Jaguars from scratch and going to the AFCG with them twice?

you mean underachieving w/ a SB caliber roster by never getting to one in Jax?  the "built from scratch" thing is deceptive too as jax and Car had HUGE advantages to be good right away and they both were in title games year 2 while the Jets finished 1-15 that same year.  That was a gift from the NFL b/c they didn't want another Tampa Bay.

23 hours ago, drdetroit said:

When the NFL gave the expansion teams their pick of players and top of draft picks?  Completely went over the top trying to help them put a competitive team on the field?   

He hasn't won in years and is 70 years old.  No thanks. 

Archived