Personnel guys weigh in on Zeke vs. Fournette

AFJF

9 hours ago, j4jets said:

Trade down a little, pickup a 2nd day pick, then draft three BAP from the OL in the first two days. OL needs time to adjust and we'll be able to get the first overall pick in the process next year. God knows Bowles isn't getting any better. Then draft your QB and RB next year when you solidify your OL. How is this so hard to understand? Avoid the temptation. Fournette will be garbage behind our OL that will have a new center and an LT next year. 

On paper your plan is a good one.  In reality it probably won't happen.

In drafts where there is little "guaranteed" star power up high, it is hard to trade back.  This will be the 3rd year of this regime.  Bowles barely  kept his job this year, he won't survive a 2-14 season.  Bowles will strongly want to use the money that will be available to, sign aging vets, to get the Jets to maybe 8-8 , 9-7. and perhaps save his job.

IMO it's really going to hurt the Jets long term not having a strong GM in place with a big picture view who could implement your plan 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cook, Fournette and Zeke are all insanely gifted RBs. But so was Gurley and what happened to him this year playing with a bad QB and weak oline? I won't be upset seeing Cook or Fournette on the Jets I just think they may struggle without the proper Oline. Not sure Zeke is Zeke if he was drafted by the Rams/Jets etc...

Look at the History at the Qb busts in rd1 it still wouldn't prevent you from taking one . Fournette is the RB equivalent to Andrew Luck. 

agreed ! however there are very few rbs taken first round. especially in today's game where you need more than one rb. Qbs are the golden goose. that's why team teach every year and hope they hit the lottery. Look at the current playoff teams , besides Zeke no rbs taken first round. The one thing in common re franchise qbs. I'm not saying those rbs aren't future pr bowlers but less pressing need than the building block positions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

42 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

His freakish physical traits aside, an RB without an OL that can open up lanes is as useless. Plus, if you're not pass protecting, you're coming off the field minimum of 3rd down, and in today's offenses, potentially on 2nd downs as well in favor of a pass protecting/pass catching RB. 

Hard pass.

Look at what Bilal Poweel did late in the year.  Even our injured jag oline did enough to let a guy make plays.

14 minutes ago, JiF said:

Barnett is a bad man. He literally took over the game defensively for the Vols vs. my Gators this year.  He was unblockable.

I'm just not sure how he fits here.  He's more of a 4-3 DE than a 3-4 OL.  I feel like he's another great player that's a poor fit for the system.  Basically how our entire D is constructed. 

I completely disagree. Barnett can play OLB in the 3-4. He bends the corner very well and also can set the edge. I have even seeneed him drop back in coverage. Physically he's 6'3 & 250 lbs, which is fine for an OLB.

I don't see how he can't play the position and play it very well

Repeating what a lot of people have already mentioned. But I may as well put my 2 cents in, cuz I always do. 

Fournette is a special player. He is the most talented RB in the draft. If you are going BPA, he is easily a top 10, maybe even a top 5 pick. 

Is he better than Cook? Well, the two are very very good. That is debatable. They both put up great numbers in their college career. Who will be the better NFL RB? That is an impossible question to answer. It depends heavily on what team drafts them and how they use them. 

For what it's worth, I personally think Fournettes injury and lack of versatility are overstated. If a team wants him to be used as a receiver out of the backfield, he can do that. His ankle injury may or may not be much of an issue going forward.

Now. Should the Jets draft him 6th overall? Well, the talent is there. If they were going BPA, its a solid pick. If they are trying to address a position of need, it makes no sense.  

Will he struggle behind the Jets O-line? Maybe. It depends. We have yet to see what Macc is going to do with the O-line in FA and the draft. The O-line could be turned around in one offseason. I've said this before, but the O-line situation is not THAT bad. The Jets don't have young studs on it but they have proven vets. There will be a lot of shuffling around. A lot of expensive vet on the O-line. But it can be fixed via the draft an FA. If they get one draft pick starter and one FA starter, that could be enough.  

IMO- Fournette is the best RB in the draft and worthy of a top ten pick. It will be up to the GM whether or not he wants to address that position so high in the draft. I have no problem with the Jets drafting him. I also have no problem with them trading down instead (lets assume he was there for the taking), or drafting someone else. Can you get a productive RB later in the draft? Of course. But you will not get a talent like Fournette.   

11 minutes ago, King P said:

I completely disagree. Barnett can play OLB in the 3-4. He bends the corner very well and also can set the edge. I have even seeneed him drop back in coverage. Physically he's 6'3 & 250 lbs, which is fine for an OLB.

I don't see how he can't play the position and play it very well

I dont see that.  He's not that quick twitch kind of athlete you need to be at OLB.   He's more of a first step, beat you with speed and power type of guy.  Yeah, he bends and does a good job of getting by with speed and a first step...but he doesnt have a ton of pass rush moves outside of that.  I dont think he's got the reaction time and ability to redirect quickly like an OLB.

Beast 4-3 DE though.  I mean, you could try to squeeze him in as an OLB but I think you're playing him out of position by doing so.  My only issue is that's the Jets entire problem on D right now. 

I could be wrong but I think that's fairly accurate assessment of him.  He's a monster from that 4-3 DE position. 

the draft isn't really about what we want to happen, it's more about predicting the Jets' pick 

and if Fournette is still there at 6 they have to think very seriously about taking this legit blue chip player.

Mac isn't going to reach for a red chip LT when there's a Blue chip RB sitting there. It would be a Leonard Williams style BAP pick. 

Archived