Todd Bowles rebuilds Jets' staff with emphasis on hiring teachers

Gas2No99

2 hours ago, prime21 said:

Who is out there for QB coaches?

On thing that is a little troublesome as far as the recent coach hirings is that they all seem to be good choices.  But if they are good choices, why were they available and why choose a team with a coach who could be on the hot seat?

Because he isn't on the hot seat.

Thats Jets fans overblown nonsense

2 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

STUPID CBA doesn't make it any easier for them to work together off-season even out of their own volition to personally excel. Stupid Union rules. 

Blame the owners. Owners wanted players to get less % of the revenue so players in turn asked for better "working conditions". Owners don't give a sh*t that the players can't speak with coaches until April/may. 

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

10 games do not count that year. It was an odd year in terms of the calendar, and Bowles' inability to manage had not caught up with him at that point.

Outlier and anomaly.

Does NFL put asterisks next to the Jets 2015 season?!?! 

2 hours ago, prime21 said:

Who is out there for QB coaches?

On thing that is a little troublesome as far as the recent coach hirings is that they all seem to be good choices.  But if they are good choices, why were they available and why choose a team with a coach who could be on the hot seat?

These coaches know how the NFL works and it's a year to year league (really game to game). 

I would guess they are at least getting a 2 yr contract so if changes are made they get a check for '18 if the new coach doesn't retain them and they don't hook on elsewhere. 

2 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Hate to be negative, but since I have less than zero faith in Bubba Gump, I want to know who HIS teacher(s) is / are going to be? The man cannot coach to save his life and is totally clueless, now, all of a sudden he is to be lauded for assembling a "top notch coaching staff"? Give me a break.

This whole thing is a charade leading to nowhere fast. The sad thing is we will be back at square one next January (or sooner) and will have wasted yet another year instead of doing what needed to be done this January. The only saving grace (maybe) is next January, better HC candidates may be available than were available this January, but in reality, who knows for sure?

So other than to call him names, clueless etc you have nothing of significance to add.  Its not a charade, only a fool would have fired Bowles after his two seasons.  That you totally credit him with last season and forget his first is telling.  I know, the schedule was easy.  But 2015 was hard.  

Hate to break this to you, unless they implode in 2017 he'll be back pissing you off in 2018

None of this changes that idea that he put together a nice group of new hires.  Dont get how you can deny that because they didnt win enough games for you a year ago.  

1 hour ago, BigRy56 said:

Bowles has made some really nice offseason moves thus far. Now it's time to shed the dead, old, overpaid weight and get this ship steered back on track with some young motivated talent. Free agency is only a month away and let's get ready to make some moves.

The problem with this idea is that he is the one that brought in the dead, old, overpaid weight.  Of the top 12 contracts on the Jets, he brought in all except Mangold, Decker and Richardson and he exercised the option on Richardson.  He could have cut Breno this year and saved a decent chunk of change but carried him on the PUP list for some reason.  Harris, Revis, Gilchrist, Skrine, Clady, Marshall, Fitzpatrick (who is gone but still getting paid) Forte and Powell.  Those are his deals.  It's not like he was saddled with any cap.  The only problem Idzik left him with was Harvin.  

Carpenter seems a good deal, and Wilkerson and Winters remain to be seen.  Almost every other deal seems to be on the high side.  He paid Cromartie $8M a year after he earned $3M.  WTF? 

19 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So other than to call him names, clueless etc you have nothing of significance to add.  Its not a charade, only a fool would have fired Bowles after his two seasons.  That you totally credit him with last season and forget his first is telling.  I know, the schedule was easy.  But 2015 was hard.  

Hate to break this to you, unless they implode in 2017 he'll be back pissing you off in 2018

None of this changes that idea that he put together a nice group of new hires.  Dont get how you can deny that because they didnt win enough games for you a year ago.  

Fans make an issue with this point saying why should Bowles be allowed to hire new coaches when he hired the ones he fired . I find it humorous how an issue can be made about a boss firing his employees when they fail to do the job they were hired for and the group they led is a mess .  The 2 worst units on defense were the secondary and the defensive line . The defensive linemen had issues with tardiness and the secondary looked lost on every Sunday . 

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The problem with this idea is that he is the one that brought in the dead, old, overpaid weight.  Of the top 12 contracts on the Jets, he brought in all except Mangold, Decker and Richardson and he exercised the option on Richardson.  He could have cut Breno this year and saved a decent chunk of change but carried him on the PUP list for some reason.  Harris, Revis, Gilchrist, Skrine, Clady, Marshall, Fitzpatrick (who is gone but still getting paid) Forte and Powell.  Those are his deals.  It's not like he was saddled with any cap.  The only problem Idzik left him with was Harvin.  

Carpenter seems a good deal, and Wilkerson and Winters remain to be seen.  Almost every other deal seems to be on the high side.  He paid Cromartie $8M a year after he earned $3M.  WTF? 

And got out of it after 1 yr. what's the big deal? 

2/22/16:

He signed a four-year, $32 million deal prior to the 2015 season, but only last year’s salary was guaranteed, allowing the Jets to save the full $8 million with his release, with no dead money counted on the cap. 

7 minutes ago, C Mart said:

And got out of it after 1 yr. what's the big deal? 

2/22/16:

He signed a four-year, $32 million deal prior to the 2015 season, but only last year’s salary was guaranteed, allowing the Jets to save the full $8 million with his release, with no dead money counted on the cap. 

The money could have been rolled forward.  $8M is a nice chunk of change.  Suppose that they gave Cro $4-5M, then they could have used the extra money to extend a younger guy they liked.  Someone like Powell or Winters.  Both those guys were on the team, and could have been signed and probably would have been happy to get that money which is less than they are getting now.  More importantly, Fitzpatrick and Cromartie are examples of Maccagnan bidding against himself.  

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Why?

In fact, one can argue that if we were the worst team in the NFL last year, we shouldn't have won 5 games

People compared last year to the Kotite Jets. This team won more games than both of his teams COMBINED

That is why when folks compared Bowles to Kotite they had and have NO IDEA what they were talking about.

Last year was awful no doubt about it, but Kotite was one of the worst coaches of a professional team in any sport!!!

Want proof?  See here:

http://www.businessinsider.com/worst-coaches-in-history-2011#rich-kotite-started-out-well-as-a-coach-but-he-ended-up-crashing-and-burning-when-he-took-over-the-jets-6

40 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I am confused by this post...

Bowles is the HC not the GM.  He simply is not responsible for the lack of youthful talent on the Jets roster.

2 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

lol I say this all the time....one good year, one bad year loaded with injuries and the man is garbage and about to get fired. Sorry but that is NOT happening unless the team does another season of embarrassing, blowouts. Honestly, I cant imagine looking worse than they did last year so it almost HAS TO look better. I think He is safe this year and maybe at least one after....then the record will call it. 

Just imagine if we had the same records, but the other way round ... 5-11 then 10-6. He'd be getting worshipped.

37 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The money could have been rolled forward.  $8M is a nice chunk of change.  Suppose that they gave Cro $4-5M, then they could have used the extra money to extend a younger guy they liked.  Someone like Powell or Winters.  Both those guys were on the team, and could have been signed and probably would have been happy to get that money which is less than they are getting now.  More importantly, Fitzpatrick and Cromartie are examples of Maccagnan bidding against himself.  

You're making way too much of this.  And do any of us know who else was interested in Cro and the market rate.  IIRC Cro was coming off a good '14 season w/AZ  

And you're also assuming one or both sides (Powell, Winters whomever) wanted to make a deal back then. 

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

Blame the owners. Owners wanted players to get less % of the revenue so players in turn asked for better "working conditions". Owners don't give a sh*t that the players can't speak with coaches until April/may. 

I am well aware. They should reach some middle ground. Not make it mandatory, but it should not be as punitive as it currently is now for EITHER Coach or Player. If a person is willing to put in EXTRA time to excel at what they do, either as a young player or aspiring coach, that type of work-ethic (shrinking in existence by the day) should be REWARDED if anything else.

I understand the union's purpose, but have never been a fan of over-reaching corporate policies that prohibit a person from applying their natural work habit, aspiring to fully realize their true potential, and be restricted from access to valuable resources due to "company policy." 

18 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I am confused by this post...

Bowles is the HC not the GM.  He simply is not responsible for the lack of youthful talent on the Jets roster.

Of course, you are right.  I particularly deserve to be called out on this because of my fight with DCat about Rex vs. Tanny/Idzik.  I do kind of link Bowles/Maccagnan together in the talent acquisition department.  Maybe not for blame, but as far as having hope going forward.  These coaching hires all seem good.  Hopefully they QB/QB coach will be successful.

2 hours ago, C Mart said:

You're making way too much of this.  And do any of us know who else was interested in Cro and the market rate.  IIRC Cro was coming off a good '14 season w/AZ  

And you're also assuming one or both sides (Powell, Winters whomever) wanted to make a deal back then. 

Fair enough.  FWIW, Powell certainly wanted to make a deal.  They let him test the market in 2015 and then signed him to a one year deal for $2M.  This season, they inexplicably signed him for 3/$11.25M.  Hard to believe that 700 yards from scrimmage and 3 total TDs would warrant such a raise.  I don't mind paying Powell, he is an NFL player, the whole thing just seems curious because they signed him right after picking up Forte.  Powell isn't a power back, but more of a 3 down back that can catch.  His style may not be identical to Forte, but what they bring to the table is similar enough I find locking them both up odd.  

4 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

STUPID CBA doesn't make it any easier for them to work together off-season even out of their own volition to personally excel. Stupid Union rules. 

i don't know the workings of the cba that well but it seems it restricts the team coaches from contacting the players during the year except for the ota's and then training camp.  if so, this is pretty stupid because so much of the game is mental.  there's no reason that players can't be attending playbook sessions and being taught plays without having to suit up.

i can't take any positive spin on the jets or their coacing staff seriously. win some ****inggames and then tell me something. right now, to me it's all bullsh*t because the team is a perrennial piece of sh*t and i just don't care to hear the fluff bullsh*t. win some ******* games and then say something. until then its all a load of crap

8 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

No complaints about the new staff, honestly. I do want to see what we do for QB development, given that there are 2 raw QBs on the roster and nothing else.

Agreed.  I guess I like the hires (not that I really know much about them) but the single most important hire would be a QB coach to develop Hack (and possibly Petty). Of course that person should've been here from the get-go last year.

5 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Why?

In fact, one can argue that if we were the worst team in the NFL last year, we shouldn't have won 5 games

People compared last year to the Kotite Jets. This team won more games than both of his teams COMBINED

tell me they didn't let you get away with this craptastic post.

Are we really back to this narrative? Again? For like the 4th coaching staff in a row? Yeah, I'm sure it's the coordinators and the assistants that are the ******* problem. Not the lack of talent and the nutless head coach. That's always the case for sure. Replacing all the other guys always works. If there's one thing we know from the past 20 years it's that.

This partially makes sense. You have a team trying to build through young players then you need coaches adept at bringing college players into the pro game. I don't have a problem with this approach.

What doesn't make sense is that this was only part of the problem last year. You can look at a few positions, like QB, where we desperately needed coaching to bring young players up to speed. (We don't appear to have filled that need yet.) The larger problem with the team seemed to come from the vets loafing around with bad attitudes. There needs to be a response to that as well. Maybe the coaches who were cut were responsible for fueling that problem and it's addition by subtraction. I don't expect any HC to publicly trash guys they cut off their staff but judging by action I can't tell whether the cuts were purely on field performance decisions (not unreasonably so) or how much the team's lack of order factored in.

12 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Fans make an issue with this point saying why should Bowles be allowed to hire new coaches when he hired the ones he fired . I find it humorous how an issue can be made about a boss firing his employees when they fail to do the job they were hired for and the group they led is a mess .  The 2 worst units on defense were the secondary and the defensive line . The defensive linemen had issues with tardiness and the secondary looked lost on every Sunday . 

Because the coaches available to hire change from year to year?

Because who you want one year isnt available at that time

Because its the HC who gets to pick his staff, no matter what fans think or want.  

Because assistant coaches fail.   Happens.  Better they admit it wasnt working and move on

15 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Up until this year Winters sucked and Powell hadn't proved himself to be anything more than a JAG until 2015.  Why would Maccagnan sign either one of those 2 when we had the money for another corner that we desperately needed?

Cro was coming off of a great year on the same team that our new HC came from and in the same system that he was about to implement.  It was a 1 year deal that had zero penalties for 2016 in terms of CAP.  Cromartie has also said himself that he took less money from us to be here.  He supposedly had an offer in the 10-12 range from the Cowboys(?) but preferred to be here.  That's why we gave him the 8 mil.  

Archived