Report: Jets Targeting Jeremy Bates for QB Coach Spot

JetNation

Forget Watson, but I am tired of these rethreads, hoping to catch lightening in a bottle.

Keep swinging for the fences, undetake a complete rebuild like Cleveland is in the midst of but hopefully with the right outcome.

That said I have no confidence in mac's ability to evaluate college qbs ... or in Bowles ability to disciple this team

3 hours ago, Tinstar said:

His post has more to do with him love  for a certain Texas Tech QB than it does about Watson  . You have a choice between a kid who led his team and I mean Led, to the National championship game in college football on back to back seasons, had 2 of the best performances in the championship game in forever, losing his 1st time and willing his team to victory on his 2nd chance, or a kid whose team  hasn't even won his own conference  .

Let's pick the latter .

The latter carried an offense that scored close to 45 points a game 5th in the nation.  This without the benefit of having NFL caliber player at nearly every position up and down the depth chart.  I guess he should have scored 60 points a game to overcome his terrible defense, win the conference and your approval.

3 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

Developing high school QBs out at Mike Shanahan QB Masters Project along side Trent Dilfer, Sean McVay, Mike McDaniel, Rudy Carpenter, Richard Bartel, Steve Beuerlein, Will Harringer, Charlie Frye, Quincy Avery, Kevin O'Connell and Richmond Flowers III.  From their website:

JEREMY BATES IS ONE OF THE MOST RESPECTED, EXPERIENCED AND SOUGHT AFTER QB COACHES IN PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL. THE SON OF FORMER NFL AND COLLEGE COACH JIM BATES, JEREMY WAS A BALL BOY AT TEXAS TECH WHEN HE WAS 5 YEARS OLD AND HAS NEVER MISSED A TRAINING CAMP SINCE. JEREMY LETTERED AT QUARTERBACK AT BOTH TENNESSEE (1995) AND RICE (1997 & 1999) WHILE ALSO PLAYING BASEBALL AT RICE. HE RECEIVED HIS BACHELOR’S DEGREE IN MATHEMATICS FROM RICE IN 1999. HIS COACHING CAREER BEGAN IN 2002 AS AN OFFENSIVE QUALITY CONTROL COACH FOR THE TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS. HE HAS SINCE RISEN THROUGH THE RANKS WORKING UNDER SOME OF THE MOST ICONIC HEAD COACHES WHILE DEVELOPING HIS OWN REPUTATION AS A QUARTERBACK AND OFFENSIVE COACHING PRODIGY.

I've always liked Bates ever since that disastrous 2005 season when he was our QB coach.  The man managed to make Brooke Bollinger look like a NFL QB.

I still hate Toilet Bowles but I have to admit he is compiling a pretty good coaching staff. It does raise the question what the heck happened the first time he put his coaching staff together? Word on the street is that the first time he was just hiring his friends.

8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Let's get this out of the way shall we?  If he is British is he called Master Bates?

The only Jeremy Bates, I know of is British, an ex-Tennis pro and not a good one to boot.

Michael Jeremy Bates, commonly known as Jeremy Bates (born 19 June 1962 in Solihull, England) is a British former professional tennis player. He was ranked UK number 1 in 1987 and again from 1989 to 1994. He reached a career-high ATP world ranking of 54 from 17 April 1995 to 21 April 1995.[1]

image.jpg

7 hours ago, HessStation said:

Why does Jay Cutler for some reason entice me in some weird way? What's wrong with me?

1) Geno Smith

2) Mark Sanchez

3) 2016 Ryan Fitzpatrick

That's why.

6 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

Developing high school QBs out at Mike Shanahan QB Masters Project along side Trent Dilfer, Sean McVay, Mike McDaniel, Rudy Carpenter, Richard Bartel, Steve Beuerlein, Will Harringer, Charlie Frye, Quincy Avery, Kevin O'Connell and Richmond Flowers III.  From their website:

JEREMY BATES IS ONE OF THE MOST RESPECTED, EXPERIENCED AND SOUGHT AFTER QB COACHES IN PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL. THE SON OF FORMER NFL AND COLLEGE COACH JIM BATES, JEREMY WAS A BALL BOY AT TEXAS TECH WHEN HE WAS 5 YEARS OLD AND HAS NEVER MISSED A TRAINING CAMP SINCE. JEREMY LETTERED AT QUARTERBACK AT BOTH TENNESSEE (1995) AND RICE (1997 & 1999) WHILE ALSO PLAYING BASEBALL AT RICE. HE RECEIVED HIS BACHELOR’S DEGREE IN MATHEMATICS FROM RICE IN 1999. HIS COACHING CAREER BEGAN IN 2002 AS AN OFFENSIVE QUALITY CONTROL COACH FOR THE TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS. HE HAS SINCE RISEN THROUGH THE RANKS WORKING UNDER SOME OF THE MOST ICONIC HEAD COACHES WHILE DEVELOPING HIS OWN REPUTATION AS A QUARTERBACK AND OFFENSIVE COACHING PRODIGY.

Now I'm interested. Sounds like a coach we need.

Many are associating this possible hire with Jay Cutler, but if Macc truly believed in Hack to take him so high (yet be so raw) I think this GM/coaching staff should do everything possible to develop him. And if this Bates guy is as talented a coach as this suggests then that will be good for every qb on the roster. 

Hack needs to sit for Atleast another year. I wouldn't draft a qb in the 1st, matter of fact our first 2 picks should be Oline.

Develop Hackenberg while at the same time building his future Oline. That will also help whoever ends up being our current starter

8 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

Great find

I was hoping Bowles would find an OC that could combine pro & college "gimmick"
concepts into the next offense.  Now with the hiring of Morton and the possibility
of Bates that could come to fruition.  With Bates teaching young QB's for the past
four years he's been exposed to "gimmick" concepts hopefully he and Morton can create
a mixed offense

9 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

Great find.  Let's hope this gets done.  Bowles is putting a very strong staff.  He is starting to renew my faith in him.

10 hours ago, fltflo said:

Listen, how many old jags do we need here before the carousel is finally shut off.
Cutler's is done, another QB who at best is two to three year poor answer to the question. The guy can't stay healthy and his best days are in the rear view mirror.
We need to cut bait and roll the dice. If Watson is there at 6 we grab him. Cut or trade Hack or Petty and still bring in Glennon.
We need young healthy men who can play for us for the next ten years if we hit the jackpot with one.
Let Glennon start and the best of the two remaining backup. If we keep Petty he should win the job as backup. We can then sit Watson for at least a year and develop him slowly. My guess if that at the beginning of the following season both Glennon and Petty will have a young rookie looking to take there jobs.
My guess is by the third year Watson will be a solid starter and we will have the luxury of having a two other solid QB of whom one could be an exceptional trading prize.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hahahahahahahahaha this is hilarious!!! We should cut Hack because we dont have the patience to develop him but we should draft another guy who isnt a 1st rd talent and then sit him for 3 years patiently and hope by year THREE that he is ready? lmaooooooooo we cant even get to year two with Hack, what makes you think this fan base will suddenly develop the patience to do the exact same thing you suggest we dont do now? The first pregame Watson looks like shyt people here will be screaming he is a bust and that we need to draft another qb. 

9 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

Nobody has wanted this guy in 4+ years...this statement above all else makes the rest of this post sound like fluff. If they left this out the rest would sound more believable....and none of those QB's he has worked with exactly jump off the board screaming genius to me.

The "gimmick" offense has changed everything in football from the high school level 
on up.  Coaches implement it because it's easy, the fastest way to win games and
ultimately get promotions ($$$).  If pro teams don't recognize this trend and incorporate
"gimmick" concepts into their schemes they'll be drafting players who will be unable
to contribute for a couple of years, because:

- QB's don't know how to call a play from the huddle
- QB's don't know how to take a snap from center
- QB's don't know how to make 3, 5, 7 step drops
- QB's only know how to look to their first read/option
- OLinemen don't know how to run block out of a 3 point stance
- TE's don't know how to operate out of an inline position
- WR's don't learn how to run full route trees

I believe successful teams are going to have a mixed offensive playbook (70% pro / 30% gimmick)
in the future      

2 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

Nobody has wanted this guy in 4+ years...this statement above all else makes the rest of this post sound like fluff. If they left this out the rest would sound more believable....and none of those QB's he has worked with exactly jump off the board screaming genius to me.

It's his bio for his academy of course there's fluff in there...And maybe he has had offers but didn't like the situation for whatever reason, wanted to take a few years off...Who knows..

9 hours ago, legler82 said:

The latter carried an offense that scored close to 45 points a game 5th in the nation.  This without the benefit of having NFL caliber player at nearly every position up and down the depth chart.  I guess he should have scored 60 points a game to overcome his terrible defense, win the conference and your approval.

I neither own or scout for any NFL team, so Mr  Mahomes  doesn't have to impress me .  If he does what he needs to do and end up wearing the colors of my Beloved Jets, I will cheer for him . I personally don't think he's what I would want in a QB, but nobody's paying me for my evaluation of these prospects so what does it matter .My range of QB talent is from Trubisky in the 1st to Towles in the 6th .  

4 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I neither own or scout for any NFL team, so Mr  Mahomes  doesn't have to impress me .  If he does what he needs to do and end up wearing the colors of my Beloved Jets, I will cheer for him . I personally don't think he's what I would want in a QB, but nobody's paying me for my evaluation of these prospects so what does it matter .My range of QB talent is from Trubisky in the 1st to Towles in the 6th .  

The winning your own conference argument in your prior post left a lot of room for debate but I can't argue against what is said here.

Archived