The Jets could start free agency close to 50 million under the cap

Maxman

6 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

There's a ton of free agent talent out there for the taking. We are going to be active. I expect 2 marquee FAs... probably a CB and LB.

God I hope not. Full rebuild. Save the cap for a couple years down the road when it is useful. Trade Richardson, trade Mo, stockpile draft picks. sign lots of inexpensive very young FA and UDFAs. Build through the draft, and develop players.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, sourceworx said:

hi-res-183956651-quarterback-mike-glenno

Eh, I genuinely believe you can match the productions he'd give you, for cheaper. He's going to get way overpaid due to scarcity of options. I'd let Chicago pay him $12m+ And distribute our funds more effectively.

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Eh, I genuinely believe you can match the productions he'd give you, for cheaper. He's going to get way overpaid due to scarcity of options. I'd let Chicago pay him $12m+ And distribute our funds more effectively.

I think he's a top 15 caliber starter. Phil Simms compares him to Matt Ryan. I'd kill for that type of QB to solidify the position. $12 million would be a bargain.

Its a damn crying shame we don't have that extra 5 mil in cap space this year that we have to Fitzpatrick! All those screaming about the extra money were dead on right! 

Imagine how good we would be this year with that extra $5mil? 

Damn, oh well, thanks to that we are going to suck, too bad because with it, it would have been our year!

11 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Lol. 

I expect a fool like Maccagnan to wait, since he's never extended anybody with a year left under contract or team control, and he then either pays millions more per year than he had to (e.g. Winters), or he loses the player outright because he's too expensive after waiting (e.g. Harrison).

Its admirable how you can be wrong time and time again, yet stick to your guns like this. Kudos!

2 hours ago, sourceworx said:

I think he's a top 15 caliber starter. Phil Simms compares him to Matt Ryan. I'd kill for that type of QB to solidify the position. $12 million would be a bargain.

Bold = maybe, you never know.

Phil Simms is a complete moron. I put zero stock in anything he says. 

16 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Bold = maybe, you never know.

Phil Simms is a complete moron. I put zero stock in anything he says. 

You can't find out if you don't try. I'm more confident in him than our current QBs, or any of the ones in this draft. 

Simms isn't the only one making the comparison to Ryan. Some say Flacco because of his size. 

7 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

You can't find out if you don't try. I'm more confident in him than our current QBs, or any of the ones in this draft. 

Simms isn't the only one making the comparison to Ryan. Some say Flacco because of his size. 

Fair enough.

I remain in the camp that Glennon's skill set and ceiling can be had for cheaper - I have a "moneyball" way of looking at it though. I could be dead wrong, not arguing, just pondering really. It's all a ******* crapshoot really, which is why the league is 95% steady turnover. The few guys that know what they're doing, are the only stable thing in the sport.

Amazing that people believe that 25 year old free agents that are cornerstones is a thing. Big upside guys never reach free agency. I expect they'll focus on spending on "tutor" types. Guys that can push the kids for PT, but also high character, locker room, Mangini-types. Those are necessary for rebuilds. Don't expect any long term starters to come.

What would be kind of nifty is if the Jets promised Maccagnan and Bowles are safe, encouraged a tank, and then cut bait if there aren't promising results from the draft/player development.

Love the idea of a tank. If there's promise then you continue to build with young players and hopefully find a QB. And if things don't work out, a blank slate with cap space and a high draft pick for a new GM and coach to work with.

On 3/4/2017 at 9:51 AM, NoBowles said:

Its admirable how you can be wrong time and time again, yet stick to your guns like this. Kudos!

Aww, look who's back full time again. So let's see where we're at. IIRC the cycle is:

- Out of frustration, and totally unprovoked, you again commence trolling, stalking, lying, name-calling, lashing out, etc. (This seems to be approximately where we're up to so far, lol.)

- After I eventually respond and again make you look foolish, you send me an emo "Why do you hate me?" PM -- as though anyone here cares enough to actually hate you.

- I make nice to you via PM. You then begin/continue picking more personal squabbles and name-calling with others, and have another emo meltdown. (Last time was with @Maxman, about 2 months ago, I believe. Time before that with @Integrity28.)

- You make another new username or two, so your alternate ones get banned before your current regular one.

- You whine that you're quitting or, far more commonly, you get banned from all your new active accounts one by one.

- You then send nonstop requests begging to return, swearing you'll just post about football and won't seek to rehash past personal battles.

- You are permitted to attempt a comeback with a clean-slate username, where unprovoked you again resume those past personal battles and name-calling on cue, make some new personal battles, lie that you're new here so you could re-engage your old agendas from an alleged new persona, create more user accounts to troll the site, eventually they all get banned again, etc. Around and around you go, rofl.

It's sad, really. Why do you do this to yourself? It's not like you're good at it. 

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Aww, look who's back full time again. So let's see where we're at. IIRC the cycle is:

- Out of frustration, and totally unprovoked, you again commence trolling, stalking, lying, name-calling, lashing out, etc. (This seems to be approximately where we're up to so far, lol.)

- After I eventually respond and again make you look foolish, you send me an emo "Why do you hate me?" PM -- as though anyone here cares enough to actually hate you.

- I make nice to you via PM. You then begin/continue picking more personal squabbles and name-calling with others, and have another emo meltdown. (Last time was with @Maxman, about 2 months ago, I believe. Time before that with @Integrity28.)

- You make another new username or two, so your alternate ones get banned before your current regular one.

- You whine that you're quitting or, far more commonly, you get banned from all your new active accounts one by one.

- You then send nonstop requests begging to return, swearing you'll just post about football and won't seek to rehash past personal battles.

- You are permitted to attempt a comeback with a clean-slate username, where unprovoked you again resume those past personal battles and name-calling on cue, make some new personal battles, lie that you're new here so you could re-engage your old agendas from an alleged new persona, create more user accounts, eventually they all get banned again, etc. Around and around you go, rofl.

It's sad, really. Why do you do this to yourself? It's not like you're good at it. 

Wow, did not think your skin was so thin.

23 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Amazing that people believe that 25 year old free agents that are cornerstones is a thing. Big upside guys never reach free agency. I expect they'll focus on spending on "tutor" types. Guys that can push the kids for PT, but also high character, locker room, Mangini-types. Those are necessary for rebuilds. Don't expect any long term starters to come.

basically true, but you can try the RFA market and sometimes guys just want out of bad situation and don't sign an extension

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/available/

you can sort it by age

have to give credit to the guys here that have targeted Jefferson, Bouye, Gilmore

a true rebuild is done via the draft anyway.  

as a side note, Fitz, Geno, Sanchez and Clemens are all unemployed.  the jets should probably try to figure out why they can't pick or develop QB's, that would be a good place to start

1 minute ago, NoBowles said:

Come on, lighten up. You sure can dish it out...

Yes, other moderators and I should lighten up towards what is embarrassingly approaching your 20th username here. Feel free to last-word me now if it makes you feel better, but we all know how this ultimately ends, lol.

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yes, other moderators and I should lighten up towards what is embarrassingly approaching your 20th username here. Feel free to last-word me now if it makes you feel better, but we all know how this ultimately ends, lol.

You win

While the Jets have created financial flexibility, Maccagnan made it clear he will not overspend when free agency commences on March 9.

"There are a lot of players that we have targeted going into free agency that are good players, but also we feel - from intangible standpoint -are good people. Those are the guys we are going to be aggressive to go after, but we have to be careful not to overspend or overshoot the market in terms of what the compensation is. We're not going to necessarily mortgage the future for now."

13 minutes ago, C Mart said:

While the Jets have created financial flexibility, Maccagnan made it clear he will not overspend when free agency commences on March 9.

"There are a lot of players that we have targeted going into free agency that are good players, but also we feel - from intangible standpoint -are good people. Those are the guys we are going to be aggressive to go after, but we have to be careful not to overspend or overshoot the market in terms of what the compensation is. We're not going to necessarily mortgage the future for now."

Tier 2 and 3 FA's only, Young and cheaper. It's a rebuild I like it. Not try and Win sh*t. Let's go full on tank mode.

17 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Come on, lighten up. You sure can dish it out...

17 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

can you post all 20 of you're user names so we know who we're dealing with here :P

thanks

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

can you post all 20 of you're user names so we know who we're dealing with here :P

thanks

My original account was JFToLong, Sperm banned me after telling me I share my bed with Sanchez, I retaliated. My most recent one before this was BowlesMovement, which was banned for making a joking around post about JoeWilly12. Most of the ones in between were me acting like an immature meathead because I was pissed off that I got banned with my original account. I still to this day think that was a total dick move, and think that is some really bad Mod'ing, for a Mod to act like that towards a poster, then ban him, but whatever, its how Sperm Mods and Max is cool with it, so it is what it is. I don't make the rules here, and have to follow them. There were a few in there that were attempts to be a legit poster, but I never really get any slack, once they recognized me as a banned poster, Sperm and Slats always banned me very quickly. Ive been more than my share of a pain in the ass over the years, but my original, and current accounts were legit attempts to contribute and talk Jets football. But I can tell this one won't last very long either. 

5 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

My original account was JFToLong, Sperm banned me after telling me I share my bed with Sanchez, I retaliated. My most recent one before this was BowlesMovement, which was banned for making a joking around post about JoeWilly12. Most of the ones in between were me acting like an immature meathead because I was pissed off that I got banned with my original account. I still to this day think that was a total dick move, and think that is some really bad Mod'ing, for a Mod to act like that towards a poster, then ban him, but whatever, its how Sperm Mods and Max is cool with it, so it is what it is. I don't make the rules here, and have to follow them. There were a few in there that were attempts to be a legit poster, but I never really get any slack, once they recognized me as a banned poster, Sperm and Slats always banned me very quickly. Ive been more than my share of a pain in the ass over the years, but my original, and current accounts were legit attempts to contribute and talk Jets football. But I can tell this one won't last very long either. 

BowlesMovement 

Image result for shocked look gifs

2 hours ago, NoBowles said:

As opposed to now, rofl.

And your summary is obviously not what happened. But just for you,

small-violin.gif 

2 hours ago, NoBowles said:

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

As opposed to now, rofl.

And your summary is obviously not what happened. But just for you,

small-violin.gif 

Archived