Nick Mangold breaks silence on his Jets heartbreak

joewilly12

This thread = Mangold says that the Jets handled this as well as they could have considering the direction they were going in, but butthurt fans who desperately cling on to what he once was won't accept anything less than giving him money to get hurt and suck until he decides enough is enough and retires, stifling the development of younger players and eating up CAP space.

W     E     W     L     A     D

E

W

L

A

D

6 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

This thread = Mangold says that the Jets handled this as well as they could have considering the direction they were going in, but butthurt fans who desperately cling on to what he once was won't accept anything less than giving him money to get hurt and suck until he decides enough is enough and retires, stifling the development of younger players and eating up CAP space.

W     E     W     L     A     D

E

W

L

A

D

IMG_0399.PNG

This kind of reminds me of the day we cut Cotchery out of nowhere. Not as shocking, but the defense of the way they handled this is lame. The fact that they didn't even approach an all-time franchise icon about a renegotiation regarding playing time and money is bull. For what the guy brought to the locker room, the field, and even the city, he deserved better. Instead it's just a tweet and a puzzled reaction from the guy. How lame. This franchise treats its bad players like angels and its great players like sh*t.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

This is laughably inaccurate.  If we have to play Wesley this season fans are going to realize quickly he's a nobody compared to what we've enjoyed the past few decades at Center.  

Some days I think some fans convince themselves a guy sucks so they don't have to be critical of the team, or care a real true Jet got tossed aside like trash.  Macc handled this poorly, and barring FA or Drafted Center, we're going to be materially worse on the Oline because of it.

Best of luck Hackenberg, better grow eyes on every side of your head the way this O-line is trending.

Hack's line at Penn was made of paper plates and bubble gum, he'll feel right at home.

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Well the way the players both graded out at the end of the year and anyone with two eyes would vehemently disagree with you, but you have an outstanding bias against anything this front office does so it's not worth arguing.  We could draft Darnold next year and your track record suggests that you would argue that they didn't do enough homework and should have taken Rosen.  Or vice versa.  

Cling to your Mangold jersey all you want.  The guy sucked last year, couldn't stay on the field, and got outplayed by a scrub.  I don't give two sh*ts that he was once a great player.  I don't care that some of you hold out hope that their favorite team will hold on to your favorite players forever.  We're rebuilding.  Keeping an old as dirt Center who can't stay healthy and sucks when he is healthy at a decently high salary is stupid.  

Side note:  Teams that blow things up to rebuild typically get worse before they get better.  That is kind of the point.

You honestly need to make up your mind because with each passing day it's getting harder and harder for everyone to understand what direction you want the team to go in.  Everytime you hear that we MIGHT sign/keep an older veteran it's: "The team is stupid.  They're handling it all wrong.  This front office doesn't have a clue.  What have we ever accomplished by signing guys in FA other than getting older?"  Now we're FINALLY blowing it all up, planning on playing our youth and it's, once again: "They're clueless.  How does this make us better?  They'll never get it right."

Sh*t, the day we cut Mangold you were whining that we cut him and kept Revis and multiple people told you that it didn't matter and that Revis was getting cut anyway.  A couple of days later Revis is cut and you said nothing about being wrong about the front offices plan's, despite being upset with it the day Nick was released.

Wow thats alot of hot angry air.  Hindenberg levels man.  Glad you were able to get all that off your chest, bet you're feeling alot better.

A few responses:

1. I'm generally happy with the "cut them all" rebuild.  Mangold was the only Vet I wanted retained, or at the very least a "let's talk contract restructure".  Wanting the dogsh*t pile that was the mercenary Revis gone doesn't warrant me giving Macc a cookie mate.  Mangold was a better Center last year than Revis was a Corner, and he'll be a better Center in 2017 than Revis will be a corner.

2. I don't watch or follow minor league sports, so I generally have to take folks word on Darnold and other Minor leaguers at current.  What I will say is Macc's track record of drafting QB's isn't very impressive as yet, with Petty and Hack.  A few weeks before this draft I'll get acquainted with this draft class of QB's as needed.

3. Usually when folks have to hurf-a-bluf about "anyone with eyes", they're full of sh*t and trying to cover for it with hot air and hyperbole.  In this case, it's rather obvious that's what you're doing.  Mangold pre-injury was clearly better than Wesley post-Mangold-IR'ing.  Wesley nearly got Petty killed a number of times.  And yes, if Wesley is what we have for 17', we're pretty weak at Center.  But as you say, we're weak just about everywhere now outside D-Line, presuming the D-line ever shows up to play.

4. So, to summarize, I'm good with all the cuts other than Mangold.  And I'd like to see a few more cuts I likely won't get, like Sheldon (traded or cut) and Forte (don't care what as long as his old slow ass isn't here) and definitely Buster "Pass Interference" Skrine and maybe a Safety as well.  Because they were all sh*t, and we're better off without them.   

14 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

This kind of reminds me of the day we cut Cotchery out of nowhere. Not as shocking, but the defense of the way they handled this is lame. The fact that they didn't even approach an all-time franchise icon about a renegotiation regarding playing time and money is bull. For what the guy brought to the locker room, the field, and even the city, he deserved better. Instead it's just a tweet and a puzzled reaction from the guy. How lame. This franchise treats its bad players like angels and its great players like sh*t.

Well said.

4 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

And this front office has been a failure at almost every turn. Marshall may have had more left than Mangold, but the situations couldn't be any different. Mangold is a Jets legend. They dropped him with barely a second thought. That's pathetic. 

Not what I said at all. I said they should have negotiated with him and paid him a little respect. Of course it's a business, but that doesn't mean that other players won't see what's happening and take that into consideration when contemplating which team to choose in free agency. 

If this is your argument it's as dumb as it gets.  Marshall was the candidate to redo and bring back.  Not the center who makes more money, can't stay healthy, would bump out the better player. 

Mangolds deal needed to be redone but the better guard shouldn't have been.

30 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

This franchise treats its bad players like angels and its great players like sh*t.

This is very well said, and has been true for at least the last three front offices. If I didn't know any better, I'd say the owner treats the team like his personal fiefdom in the hopes we'll all forget that he's a poncy milkfed bitch without a lick of business acumen or common decency.

Cutting Mangold was without a doubt the smart business decision. If he were a FA brought in over the last couple years there wouldn't even be a debate on this. Wesley Johnson played every bit as well as Mangold last year. Neither of them played anywhere near as well as Mangold in his prime, but Wesley is better than Mangold at this stage. That makes keeping Mangold in any form silly and useless.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

57 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Wow thats alot of hot angry air.  Hindenberg levels man.  Glad you were able to get all that off your chest, bet you're feeling alot better.

A few responses:

1. I'm generally happy with the "cut them all" rebuild.  Mangold was the only Vet I wanted retained, or at the very least a "let's talk contract restructure".  Wanting the dogsh*t pile that was the mercenary Revis gone doesn't warrant me giving Macc a cookie mate.  Mangold was a better Center last year than Revis was a Corner, and he'll be a better Center in 2017 than Revis will be a corner.

2. I don't watch or follow minor league sports, so I generally have to take folks word on Darnold and other Minor leaguers at current.  What I will say is Macc's track record of drafting QB's isn't very impressive as yet, with Petty and Hack.  A few weeks before this draft I'll get acquainted with this draft class of QB's as needed.

3. Usually when folks have to hurf-a-bluf about "anyone with eyes", they're full of sh*t and trying to cover for it with hot air and hyperbole.  In this case, it's rather obvious that's what you're doing.  Mangold pre-injury was clearly better than Wesley post-Mangold-IR'ing.  Wesley nearly got Petty killed a number of times.  And yes, if Wesley is what we have for 17', we're pretty weak at Center.  But as you say, we're weak just about everywhere now outside D-Line, presuming the D-line ever shows up to play.

4. So, to summarize, I'm good with all the cuts other than Mangold.  And I'd like to see a few more cuts I likely won't get, like Sheldon (traded or cut) and Forte (don't care what as long as his old slow ass isn't here) and definitely Buster "Pass Interference" Skrine and maybe a Safety as well.  Because they were all sh*t, and we're better off without them.   

Considering that it's getting really annoying to see the same "points" over and over again that make absolutely zero sense when they pertain to a team that's rebuilding like us (I'm not even saying they come from you exclusively, rather this board in general as of late), yeah it did feel pretty good.

Some rebuttles:

1. My point was more along the lines of getting reactionary the day Mangold was cut and assuming that, because he was cut before Revis, meant that we were keeping Darrelle and the front office has no "sense of loyalty" is wreckless.  Mangold and Revis both deserved to be cut and they both WERE cut.  It doesn't/didn't matter when...both of their respective financial deadlines were met and the team made sure they didn't have to pay them.  I get the idea of loving Mangold...he's one of my, and this franchises, all time greats...but his play, injury history, and the direction the team was/is going in made it so that there was no point in keeping him in any capacity.  One these days Mangold was going to get cut.  One of the GMs was going to have to be "that guy" and cut him.  It was the consensus by just about everyone who covers this team that it was time for it to happen.  It sucks, but this is the NFL.  This is how it goes.

2.  Start with Darnold and Rosen for next year.  They're both going to be special if they keep developing the way they are.  As far as the draft record goes, Petty was the best guy left for Macc to take in 2015, and Hack was a, admittedly, bold choice that we haven't see play out yet.  We'll know by the end of this season whether or not he's our guy.  I don't really see how anyone can complain about the 3rd best QB from his class (a weak one outside of the guys who went 1st and 2nd) getting picked in the 4th round.  If Petty becomes a spot starter backup, it was a good use of the pick.  Hack is trickier.  If it's really bad, then there will be some second guessing for sure.  However, it would really hard to screw up selecting one of the top 2 next season considering how good they are expected to be.  Really hard.

3.  It's not hot air and hyperbole.  It's a fact.  Healthy Mangold and Healthy W.J. we're graded and compared.  W.J. graded out better in pass protection and run blocking.  It's not even "high praise" for Johnson.  It just means that, at this stage, Johnson is a cheaper, healthier, and "better" option.  Johnson had a rough time with Suh.  No doubt about it.  However, a ton of the hits that Petty took were because of poor reads and holding on to the ball wayyyyyyyy too long.  Line play and QB are deeply connected.  If Johnson continues to develop and picks up where he left off, then Center won't be nearly as weak as you think it will be.  Right now that's a total unknown though.  You can't figure that out though with the corpse of Mangold taking a young guys spot.  That's why it made sense to cut him when we decided we were going to "blow it up".

4.  I can agree with who you want cut/traded.  I do however think we will trade Sheldon.  If not, it makes more sense to keep him one more year, let him free and get a 3rd for him, at the very least.

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

This is laughably inaccurate.  If we have to play Wesley this season fans are going to realize quickly he's a nobody compared to what we've enjoyed the past few decades at Center.  

Some days I think some fans convince themselves a guy sucks so they don't have to be critical of the team, or care a real true Jet got tossed aside like trash.  Macc handled this poorly, and barring FA or Drafted Center, we're going to be materially worse on the Oline because of it.

Best of luck Hackenberg, better grow eyes on every side of your head the way this O-line is trending.

Hey quick tell me who started at Center for the Patriots last year.  No google allowed 

1 hour ago, Snell41 said:

Cutting Mangold was without a doubt the smart business decision. If he were a FA brought in over the last couple years there wouldn't even be a debate on this. Wesley Johnson played every bit as well as Mangold last year. Neither of them played anywhere near as well as Mangold in his prime, but Wesley is better than Mangold at this stage. That makes keeping Mangold in any form silly and useless.

No Center is worth $9 mil per

10 hours ago, HessStation said:

This. 

So ok cool now I can really hope for the worst with these ****heads. Both MacCagnan and Bowles can slowly eat sh*t and die. 1-15 clean house = Sam or bust. **** this sh*t organization and may Maccagnan be flipping burgers at Wendy's by next years draft.

Yep

7 hours ago, thadude said:

Hey quick tell me who started at Center for the Patriots last year.  No google allowed 

No idea.

We're not the Patriots.

We don't have Tom Brady.  We don't even have Tom Brady's ball washer.

We don't have Bill Bellichek.  We don't even have Bill Bellichek's ball washer.

Listen mate, I get it, the NFL is a business, and beloved players get treated like sh*t and cast aside like this.  It's part of the business.

As a fan I don't have to like it.  But I do understand it.  I don't happen to think it's the right move (of all our cuts, his was the only one I disagree with).  

But even then, I get why the move was made, same as with Folk.  

But as stated, be prepared to watch whomever scab plays QB for us get killed behind this line if material upgrades are not made via the draft.

16 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Agreed.  Im not buying that at all.

Aging vets w/ high salaries and diminishing skills get cut all the time in this league.  He should be the last person who was caught off guard by this.

He will catch on with another team for a year or 2 and then retire w/ a lot of money in the bank.  Good job by him.

He already has a net worth of 26 million so he's not hurting for money..;)

Nick Mangold's body is breaking down and no one knows that better than the Jets. 

He is was and always will be an all time great. He should be in the conversation for HOF and best Jets center ever, for whatever that's worth. 

But this is show business not show friendship. He's 33 and it's not even the age it's the wear on the tires.  

Dan Graziano‏ @DanGrazianoESPN

Teams that have expressed interest so far in free agent center Nick Mangold have asked if he'd be willing to move to guard, per sources. So far, he's held off, waiting for an opportunity to continue his career at center.

Nick Mangold Unplugged - Talks Tebow-Sanchez Drama and Much More by Steve Serby NY Post

Nick Mangold saw it all during his illustrious 11-year career with the Jets, and here are some of his opinions, observations and memories:

On Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty: “I think they both have great potential, and I think in the NFL, potential is one of the most dangerous words you can have, because it can go either way. But they both seem to have a good head on their shoulders, both seem willing to work at their craft and get better.  It’ll be interesting to see how they take in a new system and having a new offensive coordinator, how quickly they can process that information.”

On whether there is hope for either Hackenberg or Petty to emerge as a starter: “Oh definitely. I wouldn’t put ’em out to pasture yet. I think there’s plenty of time for them to learn, get better and take control of that offense. I think it’ll be fun to kind of sitting back and watching that battle play out.”

On the Jets using the No. 6 pick on a quarterback: “I wouldn’t be surprised. Everyone in the league’s always chasing a quarterback. And I wouldn’t be surprised if they pick somebody up in free agency as well. I don’t know who’s out there, but I’m sure they’re looking under every rock to find one.”

On Darrelle Revis’ street fight: “It doesn’t seem like Revis, so I feel like there’s still more to the story. I was concerned for him because when it first came out, there were all kind of different stories floating around of everything that could or couldn’t have happened, and I’m hoping that it isn’t true and he’s cleared of the charges. Reve’s a good guy. I don’t see that as part of his personality.”

On Brandon Marshall’s release: “It’s another one of those disappointing-veteran-getting-cut, but high cap number. I wish the best for Brandon, he’s still a heck of a receiver, and I know he’ll catch on somewhere, and I hope he gets to continue to chase the playoffs and hopefully get in there and make a little noise in the playoffs.”

On David Harris: “I feel bad for guys like David Harris, he’s the last man standing of the ’06 and ’07 draft class. I wish him well, but it’ll be interesting to see what kind of moves they make.”

On the pressure on Todd Bowles: “In the NFL there’s always pressure, and I think that this year’s going to be no different. But I know that he’s going to make the best of the situation, and hopefully they find the pieces that they need.”

On what happened to Mark Sanchez: “I think Mark unfortunately just lost his chemistry with his receivers. He had a hard time adapting to switching of the receivers, and I think that kind of put him back a little bit in his passing game.”

On if Tim Tebow experiment hurt Sanchez: “I don’t think it hurt him. … I think that was just a product of a rough year that was compounded by the hullabaloo that Tebow brings in. I think it was a gamble that didn’t work out well for us.”

On Geno Smith: “I think Geno just got thrown in the fire too early, similar to Mark’s situation, having to come in as a rookie. I wish Geno had time to sit back and kind of learn a little bit early on.  I think he wouldn’t have had some of the issues that he had.”

On the 2016 season: “We just had a lot of issues, I think the biggest one being injuries, a lot of them freak things that you can’t plan for, you can’t prevent. And when you’re losing, things are tough, and that’s something we didn’t deal that we’ll with, and I think 5-11 represents that.”

Favorite Rex Ryan anecdote: “We were playing in Detroit. I think the night before the game he had said something about, ‘We’re gonna run the ball, we’re gonna run the ball, and we’re gonna keep on running it.’ And I think we threw out a number, how many times we were gonna run it.  “I think we’re down by six or something like that in the fourth quarter, and he comes over, he goes, ‘Listen, I told you guys that we’re gonna run the ball X amount of times … but, do you think we can throw it a little bit and you guys will be all right with that so we can win the game?’ It was just kind of funny, because he was talking to the offensive line, like we have any control over what goes on. It was just kind of a lighthearted moment in the middle of a very tense time as we’re trying to drive down and win the ballgame. And I think that’s what made Rex special was that he was still able to keep the game fun even when we were in the heat of the battle.”

http://nypost.com/2017/03/05/nick-mangold-unplugged-talks-tebow-sanchez-drama-and-much-more/

SAR I

15 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

And what's his excuse for cutting Nick ******* Mangold over the telephone?

You think it would have been better to call NIck in off of his Florida vacation with his kid just to tell him was going to be released?  He did the right thing and gave him the heads up, didn't want him to hear it from the press.  

Sometimes it's just damned if we do, damned if we dont

3 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

And what's his excuse for cutting Nick ******* Mangold over the telephone?

Not sure, should he have made him fly in to NJ from his offseason home wherever the hell it is to say your cut? I love Mangold, one of my all time favorite Jets, but come on man.

4 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Not sure, should he have made him fly in to NJ from his offseason home wherever the hell it is to say your cut? I love Mangold, one of my all time favorite Jets, but come on man.

Plus that's a pretty big dude to be pudding off. I see zero issue with phone call.

8 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Plus that's a pretty big dude to be pudding off. I see zero issue with phone call.

Mike Maccagnan: I decided to call Nick on the phone to notify him he was being cut after all look at him and look at me I didn't want a confrontation. 

Image result for mike maccagnan gifs

1 hour ago, Savage69 said:

Your a smart guy you couldn't google Nick Mangold net worth?? http://www.therichest.com/celebnetworth/athletes/nfl/nick-mangold-net-worth/

of course I saw that....  but what info do they have?  Maybe he invested his entire bonus, maybe he put it in CD's?

Im sure he's OK but those sites are guessing at best. IN NJ,  approximately half his bonus and salary went to taxes etc.  You get the idea.

Not what I said at all. I said they should have negotiated with him and paid him a little respect. Of course it's a business, but that doesn't mean that other players won't see what's happening and take that into consideration when contemplating which team to choose in free agency. 

I agree negotiate,give him that respect,he was very durable,a leader,and respected... But.. This is a cut throat business,that said it will have absolutely 0 affect on future free agents. They will always go to the team that offers the most....ALWAYS!!!!!

Going to miss #74. Not was he only one of the best at his position for some time in the league ('09 & '10 1st Team All-Pro), he was also really funny and had a great sense of humor with both fans and media. The writing is on the wall that his body may no longer endure the rigors of the position for a full season. It's rather telling that other teams are willing to sign him as a G but don't trust him to be a starting C; most likely durability concerns. 

I wish him the best and hope he stays heavily involved with the Jets organization once his playing days are over. 

On 3/6/2017 at 3:51 PM, NoBowles said:

You're probably right.  He could have gone to nick though. I think that would have been a class move.  

Archived