Big Mac is a stand up guy

LAD_Brooklyn

The NFL is a cutthroat business where some of the world’s best athletes hurl their bodies at each while playing on contracts that are largely unguaranteed (unlike the other three major American professional sports). However, the New York Jets took it an extra step on Friday, cutting linebacker Julian Stanford on his wedding day.

Stanford entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent from Wagner in 2012. He made the Jacksonville Jaguars as a rookie, playing in 16 games and making 6 starts.

Stanford spent the next two seasons with the Detroit Lions and then the 2015 season split between the Tampa Buccaneers and the Jets’ practice squads. In 2016, he made the Jets’ active roster and played in 9 games, making 2 starts.

A buddy of mine was a pro baseball player and got cut on New Year's day.  It happens.

I seriously doubt the organization has every single meaningful day of each player's lives, past or present, on file.

7 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Typical scumbag move scumbag franchise scumbag owner 

I'm sure they were gonna' do it right after the season but Woody made Mac aware of a golden opportunity to wait it out and cut Sanford on his wedding day.  No way he could resist.

17 minutes ago, AFJF said:

A buddy of mine was a pro baseball player and got cut on New Year's day.  It happens.

I seriously doubt the organization has every single meaningful day of each player's lives, past or present, on file.

Even if they did, I honestly don't think they'd care.  Just like any other business.

28 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

The NFL is a cutthroat business where some of the world’s best athletes hurl their bodies at each while playing on contracts that are largely unguaranteed (unlike the other three major American professional sports). However, the New York Jets took it an extra step on Friday, cutting linebacker Julian Stanford on his wedding day.

Stanford entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent from Wagner in 2012. He made the Jacksonville Jaguars as a rookie, playing in 16 games and making 6 starts.

Stanford spent the next two seasons with the Detroit Lions and then the 2015 season split between the Tampa Buccaneers and the Jets’ practice squads. In 2016, he made the Jets’ active roster and played in 9 games, making 2 starts.

5. Pink slip on wedding day: Backup linebacker Julian Stanford was released on Friday, which happened to be his wedding day. A cruel move by the Jets? No, not at all. Because of procedural rules pertaining to players that finished the season on injured reserve, the Jets were required to release him by April 15. They like Stanford and their plan is to re-sign him -- and he knows that.

Yes, the NFL is a cold business, but not that cold.

36 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Maybe he was marrying Miko Grimes sister

37 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

5. Pink slip on wedding day: Backup linebacker Julian Stanford was released on Friday, which happened to be his wedding day. A cruel move by the Jets? No, not at all. Because of procedural rules pertaining to players that finished the season on injured reserve, the Jets were required to release him by April 15. They like Stanford and their plan is to re-sign him -- and he knows that.

Ouch. I can't really say anything here though as I once fired a guy on his birthday.  He wasn't a direct report of mine and I lit the manager up as soon as I found out, but there is no going back once you hand the guy the letter.  Obviously we didn't mean to do it then, it just coincided with the Friday of the week I was finally comfortable with the documentation to justify the release. I thought we'd have an employee relations nightmare on our hands for sure.  Turns out nobody even flinched, everyone disliked him that much. I don't know if the manager ever got blowback from it, he wasn't very good either.  Don't think he lasted a year after that point anyway.  At least Stanford has a very good chance to come back and compete.

2 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

Yes, the NFL is a cold business, but not that cold.

this underscores the need to see the whole release and not cherry pick something out of context. hopefully it works out for stanford and the jets.

5 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

A pink slip seems much more appropriate for the honeymoon. 

Archived