Vegas, Unconscionable Skeptics of the Two-Safety Strategy, Dramatically Downgrades Jets Odds Post-Draft

T0mShane

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, JiF said:

I think Vegas is smarter than you. 

Vegas doesn't actually handicap football games, they handicap uninformed betters, and adjust their lines to 50% betting on one team, and 50% betting on the other.

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

Vegas doesn't actually handicap football games, they handicap uninformed betters, and adjust their lines to 50% betting on one team, and 50% betting on the other.

Which is why Vegas had such a high SAT score.

19 minutes ago, JiF said:

Not even comparable but o.k. 

Different players to be sure, but I'm not a fan of Watson and believe his ceiling to be a game manager in the vein of a Dilfer or an Alex Smith. 

4 hours ago, CTM said:

Maybe, but there's exactly 0% chance the Jets get #1 spot with a once in a decade type QB prospect available. Browns neither, look for SF to land it if Darnold holds up and enters draft 

That's the truth.  They get the Rams x2, Chicago, and Jax.  Late season Titans were maybe Mariotta is hurt again?  Hard to find a lot of wins in their schedule.

6 minutes ago, Larz said:

Confirmation bias.

Indeed, I shifted the betting lines to confirm my wild-ass idea that the Jets are a subpar entity! Now, excuse me while I call Danny Sheridan and tell him what the line is on that Alabama-LSU tilt.

I mean, this isn't pre-draft to post-draft. This is pre-FA to post-draft. I could see people maybe thinking the Jets would try to catch lightning in a bottle again and really go after it in FA, and for the most part they did the opposite - cutting vets who might have been useful for the sake of getting younger.

The Jets could have pushed some bonuses into next year, kept Mangold and Marshall, signed AJ Bouye or something, brought in Glennon or Cutler or one of many FA QB's besides McCown, and drafted Dalvin Cook in the second round and I bet they would've been closer to 75-1 than 200-1.

I think what they did is better long-term. Might blow up in Bowles and Maccagnan's faces. But I think going young and not trying to be splashy was the best thing for the franchise.

I realize it's not going to work out the same way, but I wonder to an extent how much the overwhelming positive attitude towards the Yankees' focus on youth has given ownership a different perspective on rebuilding in New York instead of reloading in FA whenever cap dollars presented themselves as if the 16th year of that philosophy was going to work out dramatically differently than the first 15.

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Indeed, I shifted the betting lines to confirm my wild-ass idea that the Jets are a subpar entity! Now, excuse me while I call Danny Sheridan and tell him what the line is on that Alabama-LSU tilt.

No

You posted this tripe to back up your scaredy cat shtick because praise for this team terrifies you

1 minute ago, Larz said:

No

You posted this tripe to back up your scaredy cat shtick because praise for this team terrifies you

Let me go scoop up all the positive articles about the 2017 Jets and post them here:

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Let me go scoop up all the positive articles about the 2017 Jets and post them here:

There has been plenty of praise for this draft class. You piss on all of it

You can't fool me

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

There has been plenty of praise for this draft class. You piss on all of it

You can't fool me

The Gil Brandt one, then the one quoting Gil Brandt, then the one quoting Gil Brandt that concludes even though the Jets will go 3-13 in the third year of a rebuild, their rebuild is only three years away from bearing fruit.

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Here's my question. Why were they at 75-1 to begin with? 

And I don't really understand Toms point. Did he actually think any draft pick would drastically improve our odds? Shame on him

I think the story is the draft picks seemed to have plunged the odds.

On 5/5/2017 at 1:22 PM, bitonti said:

it's the only way for a mediocre team to truly become a sh*tstain.  

How do you propose getting a legit QB if you don't suck badly enough to draft one? I've had enough of the Genos, Fitzpatrick, McCowns, etc. it's time to get a legit stud QB, only one way to get that.

IMO, who cares. This is the odds of them winning the SB this year. Even if their odds are correct, does it mean anything? Is there a single fan who thought that the Jets, regardless of who they drafted, would have a real shot at the SB this year?

This isn't an indication on how a rebuild would is going? If they had reasonable odds on a team winning a SB in 3 years, that would be indicative of how Vegas thinks we drafted. It is like our fans are just looking for a reason to be unhappy.

3 hours ago, NoBowles said:

How do you propose getting a legit QB if you don't suck badly enough to draft one? I've had enough of the Genos, Fitzpatrick, McCowns, etc. it's time to get a legit stud QB, only one way to get that.

The Jets could have drafted Watson or Mahomes and these Super Bowl odds would have gotten better, not worse. They don't have to pick 1 overall to take a QB.  Jamal Adams is great and all but both Qb are better prospects than Hack. 

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

The Jets could have drafted Watson or Mahomes and these Super Bowl odds would have gotten better, not worse. They don't have to pick 1 overall to take a QB.  Jamal Adams is great and all but both Qb are better prospects than Hack. 

To be honest, increasing our Vegas SB odds don't really impress me that much, even with Watson or Mahomes, we have zero chance of winning a SB this year. What would impress me is getting a legitimate franchise QB. I don't believe Watson to be that, and I think Mahomes has a chance, but has way too much risk to take a 3-4 year chance on. 

I still say the highest probability scenario for us to be a legit competitor is suck really bad, and take the highest rated QB next year, its a far, far better crop of QB's than this year.

Archived