The Jets think they’re suddenly stacked at wide receiver

Ken Schroy

The Jets think they’re suddenly stacked at wide receiver

It already is clear in May one of the best competitions in Jets training camp this season will be at wide receiver.

The team has loaded up on young receivers in the past two years, and they will be battling for roster spots and starting jobs this summer. Quincy Enunwa and maybe Robby Anderson look like the only receivers whose spots are secure. Veteran Eric Decker is returning from hip and shoulder surgeries, and there is a question of whether he fits this Jets team, which is going with a youth movement. Second-year players Anderson, Charone Peake and Jalin Marshall now will be pushed by draft picks ArDarius Stewart, taken in the third round, and Chad Hansen, a fourth-rounder.“It’s going to be major competition because they’re all young as well,” coach Todd Bowles said. “With the exception of [Decker] and [Enunwa] having been here, they’re all young and they’re coming in and everybody’s learning a new system. They’re all getting it at the same time. Nobody’s a year behind or those type of things. They’re talented, but obviously experience and play time will get them better. I’m excited to see that.” It was a surprise last season when Anderson, Marshall and Peake all made the team. Now, they will be trying to hold off Stewart and Hansen.     

The Jets believe Stewart can play both outside and inside in the slot. At Alabama, he did what he could in a limited passing offense that had a freshman quarterback in 2016. He had 54 catches for 864 yards and eight touchdowns. He also ran the ball eight times for 68 yards and threw a pass in the national championship game. Stewart was a first-team All-SEC choice even though he missed two games with an injury and a third when he was suspended for “violating behavior rules.” During the Jets’ rookie minicamp Friday and Saturday, Stewart showed good hands and good route running.

“He plays fast, that’s what you want,” Bowles said. “It’s just a matter of getting him to learn the system.” Stewart said Lane Kiffin’s offense at Alabama had some similarities to new Jets offensive coordinator John Morton’s offense, which is helping him pick it up. “Whatever they put in front of me, I’m trying to do the best I can as quick as I can to the coach’s standards,” Stewart said. “It’s not up to me what we run. I’m just here to play.” Stewart said he brings a physicality to how he plays. “I’m just one of the most physical guys,” he said. “I feel like I’ve been like that since Little League. I bring that to the table. I can take the top off the defense. I can do a lot of things to help this team.” Hansen was a player some draft experts thought would be taken as high as the second round but fell to the Jets in the fourth. “He’s a good player,” Bowles said. “He makes a lot of clutch catches. He can run. He brought a lot of value to our team sitting there. When you watch him play, he goes up to get the ball. He has great speed. He has good hands. He’s a good route runner. When he gets a little bit of strength on him and he gets in the program, he’ll be able to compete with those other guys. But we love him as a football player.” Hansen, who played his college football at California, said he believes he could be a deep option for the Jets. “I have a lot of confidence in my speed and my deep-threat ability,” Hansen said. “I think that can help with this offense and have that deep threat which can open up shorter routes and the run game and all that stuff. I think that can help quite a bit.”  

3 hours ago, Ken Shroy said:

It already is clear in May one of the best competitions in Jets training camp this season will be at wide receiver.

The team has loaded up on young receivers in the past two years, and they will be battling for roster spots and starting jobs this summer. Quincy Enunwa and maybe Robby Anderson look like the only receivers whose spots are secure. Veteran Eric Decker is returning from hip and shoulder surgeries, and there is a question of whether he fits this Jets team, which is going with a youth movement. Second-year players Anderson, Charone Peake and Jalin Marshall now will be pushed by draft picks ArDarius Stewart, taken in the third round, and Chad Hansen, a fourth-rounder.“It’s going to be major competition because they’re all young as well,” coach Todd Bowles said. “With the exception of [Decker] and [Enunwa] having been here, they’re all young and they’re coming in and everybody’s learning a new system. They’re all getting it at the same time. Nobody’s a year behind or those type of things. They’re talented, but obviously experience and play time will get them better. I’m excited to see that.” It was a surprise last season when Anderson, Marshall and Peake all made the team. Now, they will be trying to hold off Stewart and Hansen.     

The Jets believe Stewart can play both outside and inside in the slot. At Alabama, he did what he could in a limited passing offense that had a freshman quarterback in 2016. He had 54 catches for 864 yards and eight touchdowns. He also ran the ball eight times for 68 yards and threw a pass in the national championship game. Stewart was a first-team All-SEC choice even though he missed two games with an injury and a third when he was suspended for “violating behavior rules.” During the Jets’ rookie minicamp Friday and Saturday, Stewart showed good hands and good route running.

“He plays fast, that’s what you want,” Bowles said. “It’s just a matter of getting him to learn the system.” Stewart said Lane Kiffin’s offense at Alabama had some similarities to new Jets offensive coordinator John Morton’s offense, which is helping him pick it up. “Whatever they put in front of me, I’m trying to do the best I can as quick as I can to the coach’s standards,” Stewart said. “It’s not up to me what we run. I’m just here to play.” Stewart said he brings a physicality to how he plays. “I’m just one of the most physical guys,” he said. “I feel like I’ve been like that since Little League. I bring that to the table. I can take the top off the defense. I can do a lot of things to help this team.” Hansen was a player some draft experts thought would be taken as high as the second round but fell to the Jets in the fourth. “He’s a good player,” Bowles said. “He makes a lot of clutch catches. He can run. He brought a lot of value to our team sitting there. When you watch him play, he goes up to get the ball. He has great speed. He has good hands. He’s a good route runner. When he gets a little bit of strength on him and he gets in the program, he’ll be able to compete with those other guys. But we love him as a football player.” Hansen, who played his college football at California, said he believes he could be a deep option for the Jets. “I have a lot of confidence in my speed and my deep-threat ability,” Hansen said. “I think that can help with this offense and have that deep threat which can open up shorter routes and the run game and all that stuff. I think that can help quite a bit.”  

i wouldn't say they're stacked but they sure have a lot players who are showing good promise at wr.  and then with the whole smith tearing his knee up again thing it's almost like mac foretold the future by selecting stewart and hansen. 

I don't like Jalin Marshall. Too small and not real fast. The Jets are bringing in UFA's to look at as well. I remember a time not too long ago when the Jets had NOTHING at the WR position. Now they have actual competition.

Assuming Eric Decker comes back, then him, Enunwa, Anderson, Stewart, and Hansen are 5 locks at WR

That leaves Charone Peake, Quinton Patton, and maybe Jalin Marshall fighting for that last roster spot

UDFAs Gabe Marks and Brisly Estime seem like Longshot possibilities 

18 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Assuming Eric Decker comes back, then him, Enunwa, Anderson, Stewart, and Hansen are 5 locks at WR

That leaves Charone Peake, Quinton Patton, and maybe Jalin Marshall fighting for that last roster spot

That is why Decker should go. He is taking a spot and/or reps from a Jets player who is part of the solution

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

i wouldn't say they're stacked but they sure have a lot players who are showing good promise at wr.  and then with the whole smith tearing his knee up again thing it's almost like mac foretold the future by selecting stewart and hansen. 

Smith had already busted his knee.  it happened the first day of OTA's before the draft.  They did a good job keeping it secret 

44 minutes ago, slats said:

I'm pretty excited about this Stewart kid. I think he can be a top three receiver for the Jets this year. 

I wasn't crazy about the Stewart selection when the Jets made it, but the more I thought about it, he grew on me.   Seems to fit the O the Jets are probably going to run.  Guy is built like a RB.  Suspect he is going to catch a lot of balls at, or near the LOS, and pick up a lot of yards ATC.  That can really help a young QB who is a bit confused, and needs to get rid of the ball.  Think he'll be very productive this season.

1 hour ago, Ex-Rex said:

I don't like Jalin Marshall. Too small and not real fast. The Jets are bringing in UFA's to look at as well. I remember a time not too long ago when the Jets had NOTHING at the WR position. Now they have actual competition.

Let's not forget that He also fumbles KO returns

19 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

That is why Decker should go. He is taking a spot and/or reps from a Jets player who is part of the solution

I like Decker a lot.  I just don't think he fits what the Jets are trying to do.  Suspect the Jets are going to offer him a pay cut, he'll refuse, and bye, bye

39 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I wasn't crazy about the Stewart selection when the Jets made it, but the more I thought about it, he grew on me.   Seems to fit the O the Jets are probably going to run.  Guy is built like a RB.  Suspect he is going to catch a lot of balls at, or near the LOS, and pick up a lot of yards ATC.  That can really help a young QB who is a bit confused, and needs to get rid of the ball.  Think he'll be very productive this season.

He reminds me of a more sturdily built Laveranues Coles but without the alleged 4.2 speed. 

1 hour ago, Jetdawgg said:

That's why there's a practice squad. Decker helps our receiver group this year, probably his last year with the Jets. One of the other, young receivers, can be stashed on the practice squad and be developed for 2018.

19 minutes ago, TexJet said:

That's why there's a practice squad. Decker helps our receiver group this year, probably his last year with the Jets. One of the other, young receivers, can be stashed on the practice squad and be developed for 2018.

I could see that if Decker were a true number 1. He is not

2 hours ago, slats said:

He reminds me of a more sturdily built Laveranues Coles but without the alleged 4.2 speed. 

IMO Combine 40 times are the most misleading, and over rated stat possible.  These guys are running these 40's in shorts and T-shirt, out of a sprinters stance.  That's not what the NFL is all about.

Years ago I was very caught up in horse racing.  Something I quickly learned was that some horses can run 6 f in blazing times carrying 118 pounds, put  125 pounds on them, and they finish last.  Thoroughbreds weight in the area of 1000 pounds, that extra 7 pounds dramatically affects their speed.  The great ones can carry it, the meh ones can't.

If 7 pounds put a 1000 pound horse from first to last, think about what 10+ pounds of helmet and pads do to a 200 pound WR.   You'll see a guy who was clocked at 4.53 run down a guy who was clocked at 4.33.  Some can carry it, and some can't 

3 hours ago, flgreen said:

Smith had already busted his knee.  it happened the first day of OTA's before the draft.  They did a good job keeping it secret 

that makes more sense.  i thought the two wr's being picked was a little strange considering how many they had.

5 hours ago, flgreen said:

McCown is like 84 years old ?

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

As I've said before, if McCown is the QB, I'll be fishing

Better start working on your casts then.  Bowles pretty much cemented McCown as starter with his latest press conferences IMO.

13 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Better start working on your casts then.  Bowles pretty much cemented McCown as starter with his latest press conferences IMO.

Nope, my casts are good.    Sept-Dec is the mullet run down here.  Where I live is the best snook fishing imaginable.  All ya gotta do is be at the right place before sunrise, and throw a live mullet in front of them.  Pure ecstasy.   

Compare that to watching McCown throwing TD's to the wrong jerseys.

At first glance I thought the title was sarcastic. Not to be the contrarian but how are the Jets stacked if they do not have a proven #1 receiver? 

The training camp battle should be fun though with all the young talent, it will be exciting to see who rises to the top.

11 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Decker will not be back and Mac would be a fool to bring him back. He's expensive, he's often inured (coming off some bad injuries) and who's going to throw to him anyways.  Decker would be better off heading to a contender at this juncture of his career.  He is not in his team's future and how moronic would it be to bring him back after signing 2 WR's in this past draft (which was Idziotic to begin with). 

15 hours ago, Ken Shroy said:

By stacked if you mean we have a ton of guys playing the position, then yeah. I just wish we had a starting caliber WR that's not playing hurt  half the year. 

8 hours ago, Powpow said:

Decker will not be back and Mac would be a fool to bring him back. He's expensive, he's often inured (coming off some bad injuries) and who's going to throw to him anyways.  Decker would be better off heading to a contender at this juncture of his career.  He is not in his team's future and how moronic would it be to bring him back after signing 2 WR's in this past draft (which was Idziotic to begin with). 

To have a line of WRs developing to take the place of higher priced  vets when the time comes? Because prior regimes left us with nothing at skill positions and in order to combat that situation instead we have a bunch of guys with good prospect for development? How are people complaining about taking receivers considering the crap we had lining up for is 2 years ago?

9 hours ago, Powpow said:

I've made this point a couple of times already, but that never stops me from repeating, lol.

Maccagnan's most controversial draft pick to date, by a lot, is Christian Hackenberg. If there's a chance they can get Hackenberg to look like an NFL QB, it will serve Maccagnan greatly (and appropriately so). Based on that alone, it is not so foolish to bring back Decker (unless they see over the summer that he's just too injured to play this year), under the same premise as bringing in Josh McCown at $6m.

If Decker's healthy but it's clearly obvious to them over the summer that the better of Hackenberg/Petty is also going to be trash this year, then trading Decker sometime between August and the mid season trade deadline could be a smart option.

The way people are talking about Decker you'd think he was 35 years old or something, with nothing left to offer other than 1-2 seasons of mopping up his career as a backup. He was technically still in his 20s when the 2017 league year began, and the Jets still have him locked up for 2 more seasons if they like.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I've made this point a couple of times already, but that never stops me from repeating, lol.

Maccagnan's most controversial draft pick to date, by a lot, is Christian Hackenberg. If there's a chance they can get Hackenberg to look like an NFL QB, it will serve Maccagnan greatly (and appropriately so). Based on that alone, it is not so foolish to bring back Decker (unless they see over the summer that he's just too injured to play this year), under the same premise as bringing in Josh McCown at $6m.

If Decker's healthy but it's clearly obvious to them over the summer that the better of Hackenberg/Petty is also going to be trash this year, then trading Decker sometime between August and the mid season trade deadline could be a smart option.

The way people are talking about Decker you'd think he was 35 years old or something, with nothing left to offer other than 1-2 seasons of mopping up his career as a backup. He was technically still in his 20s when the 2017 league year began, and the Jets still have him locked up for 2 more seasons if they like.

This team is several years from contending and that's if things fall into place. Decker carries a big price tag. Is it worth keeping him around for the revival movement of this team for 3-5 years? As far as Hack's development, we might as well kept Marshall another couple of years if they were so concerned about his progress.  Would Decker even want to be part of another 'rebuild' and a roster that is significantly less skilled than it was when he first arrived?  I'd say no and no. NoNo. 

Archived