Wilkerson Guarantees Jets Will Better 5-11 Mark Of 2016

Freemanm

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, JiF said:

I think it's pretty clear from everyone you've heard this offseason that the team is feeling like the locker room is going to be a lot better place because a certain someone is gone. 

you mean the greatest player in franchise history?

10 hours ago, JiF said:

I think it's pretty clear from everyone you've heard this offseason that the team is feeling like the locker room is going to be a lot better place because a certain someone is gone. 

Rex Hogan?

5 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Woody not buying Wilkerson's Jets prediction

Damien Woody doesn't see how the Jets can improve from last season without a reliable quarterback.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=19351754

We had the worst QB in the league by far - explain to me again how it will it not get better?

Bowels could have dropped a jugs machine behind center every week and it would have had a better season than Fitz.

11 hours ago, Freemanm said:

Big Defensive End Talks Bold At Charity Event, While Namath Says Downtrodden Franchise Must Earn Respect

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — He must know something the rest of the sports world doesn’t.

Muhammad Wilkerson is so confident the Jets won’t end up as the dumpster fire so many are predicting them to be in 2017, he told reporters on Tuesday night his team will actually be better than the 5-11 dysfunctional mess it was last season.

Yeah, he really did.

“The team will definitely be positive and do more things better than we did last year, I can guarantee that,” Wilkerson told reporters before the United Way of New York City Gridiron Gala. “We’ll have more wins than we did last year and that’s a fact.”

That bold prognostication flies in the face of what every NFL expert has intimated since the Jets started their offseason roster purge. Currently with one of the thinnest talent bases in the league, the Jets have holes at basically every position, short of along the defensive line, where Wilkerson calls home.

MOREReport: Jets’ Muhammad Wilkerson Appeared Out Of Shape At Temple’s Pro Day

However, Wilkerson, himself, was terrible last season, laying a giant egg not long after signing a five-year, $86 million contract that includes $54 million guaranteed. The former first-round pick out of Temple had just 4.5 sacks in 2016, after putting up 12 the season before.

Muhammad Wilkerson

Jets defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson (Photo by Ezra Shaw/Getty Images)

Jets legend Joe Namath was also at Tuesday night’s charity event, but he took a much more reserved position on the team’s 2017 potential.

“You have to earn respect and that’s by going out and winning some games, showing something, and getting some teams wary of you,” Namath said. “Right now, I don’t think there are many teams wary of the Jets. … Until they start playing well, who’s going to respect them?”

New York’s biggest question mark heading into training camp — as it has basically been for the better part of all the years that have passed since Namath left the franchise following the 1976 season — is at quarterback. General manager Mike Maccagnan signed journeyman Josh McCown during free agency, but the soon-to-be 38-year-old is just 18-42 as a starter and has played for 10 teams during his 14-year career.

What is Mo willing to bet ? 2 million? Otherwise it's bs talk.

15 hours ago, Pac said:

We had the worst QB in the league by far - explain to me again how it will it not get better?

Bowels could have dropped a jugs machine behind center every week and it would have had a better season than Fitz.

that somehow they ended up with even worse Qbs..

15 hours ago, thebuzzardman said:

It's a good thing those poisonous vets are gone who caused Mo Wilk to eat like a small nation and be late to meetings etc. 

TBH best bet for this team is he puts on 15-20 lbs and moves nose so Richardson can shift back inside.

10 hours ago, Marshmello said:

Maybe if he played the way he did in 2016.  Sometimes I forget how good of a player he is.  I kinda wanna give him a pass for last year because of the injury.  Only time will  tell..

I think we all feel the same way, but there's some resentment from fans who really thought he was the squeaky clean/team-first guy we assumed he was before finding out the team knew he skipped or was late to practice/meetings multiple times.

8 hours ago, HessStation said:

TBH best bet for this team is he puts on 15-20 lbs and moves nose so Richardson can shift back inside.

From a schematic point that wouldn't be a bad idea, but from a value standpoint, you're then paying a space-eating NT close to $20 million a year.  

We all know what Wilkerson's potential is. I'd rather he do his talking on the field. As far as the tanking talk and suck for Sam, I'd like to see the team progress. Rebuilding, growth. No the Jets will not be SB contenders in 2017. It's ridiculous to anticipate that the Jets will get the #1 DP in 2018. College QB's transitioning into the NFL are a crap shoot anyway. The team needs to build and progress. Look at the Raiders. They have been getting better every year. Jets are my team. Always has been, always will be. I want to see them get better and be successful, not suck. 

14 hours ago, MaxAF said:

We all know what Wilkerson's potential is. I'd rather he do his talking on the field. As far as the tanking talk and suck for Sam, I'd like to see the team progress. Rebuilding, growth. No the Jets will not be SB contenders in 2017. It's ridiculous to anticipate that the Jets will get the #1 DP in 2018. College QB's transitioning into the NFL are a crap shoot anyway. The team needs to build and progress. Look at the Raiders. They have been getting better every year. Jets are my team. Always has been, always will be. I want to see them get better and be successful, not suck. 

IIRC, adjusting only Wilkerson's numbers for competition using science, something around -18 sacks a season 

15 hours ago, MaxAF said:

If we go 6-10 or 7-9 it's absolutely the worst thing that could ever happen.  Not only would we have no shot at Sam Darnold it would also eliminate us from the next 2-3 qb's in the draft class

I see this team as no more than a 5 win team. After the Browns game they have a brutal stretch where they could pull an 0-fer. For me,all starts with the Coach. If Bowles can keep the focus on the field then they may win 1 or 2 games they weren't supposed too. Bowles being Bowles I see him going with McCown too long and then going with Hack or Petty like he did last year with a team that has already mailed it in. That will cause either Hack or Petty to look worse than they actually are and retard the development of whom ever Bowles throws to the wolves. Then the Jets will have a top 5 or 8 pick and Mac will draft a DEFENSIVE player because they magically fell to him. History has a habit of repeating itself guys and sadly this scenario looks more likely too happen than not.

11 hours ago, thadude said:

If we go 6-10 or 7-9 it's absolutely the worst thing that could ever happen.  Not only would we have no shot at Sam Darnold it would also eliminate us from the next 2-3 qb's in the draft class

Exactly how will the Jets go 6-10 or 7-9 with the scrub QBs you say they have, the awful roster the experts say they have and the difficult schedule everyone else says they have to navigate  ?

12 hours ago, thadude said:

The Jets don't completely know what they have at QB this year. They may have their future QB on the roster already. I'm guessing and I could be wrong, by not drafting a QB this year, they feel pretty good about Petty and/or Hack.

13 hours ago, SenorGato said:

IIRC, adjusting only Wilkerson's numbers for competition using science, something around -18 sacks a season 

Just hope Wilk returns to his real potential. We all know what he's capable of. Not sure if it was his injury that accounted for his play last year. 

As an observation of the defensive schemes last year the Jets blitzed alot less than the 2015 season. 

On May 13, 2017 at 8:22 AM, Tinstar said:

Exactly how will the Jets go 6-10 or 7-9 with the scrub QBs you say they have, the awful roster the experts say they have and the difficult schedule everyone else says they have to navigate  ?

Problem is 4-12 (which will probably be our record) does the same thing

23 hours ago, MaxAF said:

The Jets don't completely know what they have at QB this year. They may have their future QB on the roster already. I'm guessing and I could be wrong, by not drafting a QB this year, they feel pretty good about Petty and/or Hack.

Mac is a horrible evaluator of the QB position.  That's the main reason he will be fired in January

On 5/12/2017 at 9:20 PM, thadude said:

If the Jets win 6 or 7 games, it probably means Hackenberg had a pretty good year, and they feel confident that we have our QB.

Archived