Calvin Pryor traded to Browns for Demario Davis: MERGED

Ghost

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, JiF said:

ILB'ers and Safeties is how you fill a roster and field a competitive team.

According to Bowles, it would seem so..... I am still disappointed we did not get a top 10 starting QB for Pryor, he was definitely worth it, and IMO, that is what we really need to make this a competitive team.

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Contractually, this is us basically Brock Osweiler'ing Pryor. 

That's the only thing that makes any sense to me out of this.  The Jets could end up cutting Davis and ultimately escape all of the guarantees they would have been stuck with if doing the same with Pryor.  Who knows if that will happen, but the money, and perhaps the possibility of Pryor being a complete douche, seems to be the only possible reasoning to this all.  Still freakin' weird.

Just now, Bleedin Green said:

That's the only thing that makes any sense to me out of this.  The Jets could end up cutting Davis and ultimately escape all of the guarantees they would have been stuck with if doing the same with Pryor.  Who knows if that will happen, but the money, and perhaps the possibility of Pryor being a complete douche, seems to be the only possible reasoning to this all.  Still freakin' weird.

Why? NOBODY has given me a reason why?

2 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

According to Bowles, it would seem so..... I am still disappointed we did not get a top 10 starting QB for Pryor, he was definitely worth it, and IMO, that is what we really need to make this a competitive team.

ILB'er and Safeties = Super Bowl. 

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Somebody has yet to tell me why this is a bad deal. No one has given me a statement

Here's one: a draft pick--any draft pick--is categorically more valuable than a 28-year-old on a one-year deal who plays a low-value position poorly.

This may be nothing more thana  move to clear cap space.  Cleveland takes on Pryor's $1.6MM guaranteed base salary.  The Jets take on Davis' $3.7MM non-guaranteed base.  If we cut Davis prior to the season, we save Pryor's $1.6MM cap hit that we would have had to absorb if we had released him.

1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

Yup, the more I think about it. The more I think they're just dumping Pryor. Davis was a popular guy in the locker room, so he'll have a positive impact in that capacity. I cannot remember if he plays special teams. I would assume he does. He is a liability if used incorrectly in coverage on defense, but he does give us a body that would make Harris (also a liability in coverage) expendable. 

It also allows us to move forward with the rebuilt safety position and the other young guys that have emerged as quality players in the past couple years at safety. Pryor was looking at the wrong end of a roster cut down.

I don't hate the trade, for what it is - I just hate the optics of it in the grander scheme of being "so Jetsy".

1 minute ago, Lith said:

This may be nothing more thana  move to clear cap space.  Cleveland takes on Pryor's $1.6MM guaranteed base salary.  The Jets take on Davis' $3.7MM non-guaranteed base.  If we cut Davis prior to the season, we save Pryor's $1.6MM cap hit that we would have had to absorb if we had released him.

I said this! I'm so smart, hopefully UnitedPoofans won't call me dumb!!!!

Only the Jets would trade one of their former first rounders for one of their former third rounders. Forgetting the players just for a second, that says all you need to know about this organizations decades long struggles and the reason being we can't draft successfully. 

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

Then you're dumb too. You would seriously a 7th round draft pick over a player that has been able to play in the NFL for 5 years even as depth?

But when we trade down in the draft to add extra 7th rounders, then it's outrage. I don't know what to think anymore... please plagiarize something you read on twitter to help me understand!!!!

7 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Here's one: a draft pick--any draft pick--is categorically more valuable than a 28-year-old on a one-year deal who plays a low-value position poorly.

because you know teams were offering up a draft pick?

Davis at least provides experienced ILB / ST depth..

And for all crying for a draft pick he's also an UFA at the end of the year so MAYBE he will help bring back a comp pick should he sign elsewhere..

Archived