Calvin Pryor traded to Browns for Demario Davis: MERGED

Ghost

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, T0mShane said:

It's an amazing coincidence that everyone in the locker room turned into grieving malcontents. Must have been a virus or something, completely unrelated to the head coach being an outright mush who's been coddling malcontents since he signed on here.

I think there are 2 factors that weigh equally in terms of creating the environment. 

1. Bowles coddling malconents

2. Rex narcissistically filling the roster with like-minded, idiots whose behavior and attitude reinforced Rex's psychological problems (insert obvious political analogy here)

The reason Rex won with the Mangini built team is because the one thing Mangini was right about, was that a team has to be overwhelmingly comprised of players that live for football and buy-in to team. Those veterans that were here, did that. When Rex began purging the Mangini roster, he re-stocked with the aforementioned sh*theads. 

Anyway, good times.

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

Your logic is that it is a good move because they can cut Davis without a cap hit, but you want to credit them with a potential comp pick for paying the guy $4M?  I'm willing to bet any team would prefer a $4M player to any comp pick.

No Retread.

Calvin Pryor, by ALL indications, was going to be CUT. His GUARANTEED salary would create $1.6M in DEAD $ in '17.

Now the traded for D. Davis who "may" be paid $3.9M for '17, but it's NOT GUARANTEED, and he can be CUT with $0 Dead money. Jets GAIN where it would have been a loss. 

IF, they CHOOSE to KEEP Davis - which is reasonable $ if he's a starter but I agree a bit much if he's just a ST ace and depth - he is a FA AFTER this '17 season, which may result in a comp pick if, and when, he were to sign elsewhere in 2018.

It's making the the BEST out of what was a sunk cost and a loss. Not that hard to comprehend.:rolleyes:

Just now, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

side note.....our 1st round picks from 2012-2014

2012 - Quinton coples

2013 - Dee Milner

2013 - Sheldon Richardson

2014 - Calvin Pryor

Thats really, really bad

1st rounders are the new 2nd rounders.

28 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

This is a good trade for Mac. He got rid of a player they might have released anyways and in return got someone they know who can rill a role. 

The Jets are trading former-first round pick Calvin Pryor to the Cleveland Browns in exchange for linebacker and former-Jet Demario Davis, SNY.tv's Ralph Vacchiano confirmed Thursday morning.

New York was planning on releasing Pryor before agreeing to the trade with Cleveland, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.

The Jets declined Pryor's fifth-year option last month, making the safety a free agent following the 2017 season.

Pryor was due $1.587 million in salary this season, while his cap hit was $2.724 million. By trading him, the Jets clear his salary off their cap books, but he still counts for $1.137 million in dead money.

Davis is due to make $3.7 million during the 2017 season, but it is not guaranteed so the Jets owe him nothing if they cut him before Opening Day. Overall, the Jets will be adding about $2.2 million to their books if Davis makes the team.

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/jets-trade-calvin-pryor-to-cleveland-in-exchange-for-lb-demario-davis/233747582

4 minutes ago, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

I just don't get the hate for this trade......we are going to cut Pryor and we got a starting caliber player back for him.....whats the issue?

There are too many Fuçking morons in this forum who have no concept of fiscal management and are just angry blowhards who know no other way of behaving or reacting due to their ineptness. :)

54 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Non-Premium position + Struggled in coverage + $4M = good pick-up?

YES! For Calvin Pryor- a BUST who was on the verge of being cut?! YES its a good trade. Who cares if its not a 'premium' position. Were you expecting to get an elite pass rusher or QB out of the deal? A starting LT? C'mon man. Pryor was on the chopping block. And not just b/c the Jets drafted Mayes and Adams. Rather b/c of the way he regressed as a player. Him 4mil comes off the books after 2017- not a major financial commitment.  

10 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

I like the move, Davis will be used to sub Harris. He may be slow in coverage but The guy has a good motor, you gotta give him that much

I don't think he complimented Harris. He may compliment Lee..No matter what it's a no lose for both teams.

They flipped UFA.

One (Pryor) needed to leave w/Adams, Maye addition and his reported poor "attitude"...

Cleveland has a new DC in Gregg Williams who loves headhunters so good trade for both 

2 minutes ago, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

I just don't get the hate for this trade......we are going to cut Pryor and we got a starting caliber player back for him.....whats the issue?

Despite many making claims about the supposed "hate" going on, it really seems to more be a matter of people being baffled by the acquisition of a past Jets failure.  I have not seen even the slightest bit of inclination of anyone being opposed to getting rid of Pryor.  If anything, him being gone seems to be one of the most universally accepted things you'll see on this board.  But it's tough to argue that it's not really peculiar for a team to trade for a mediocre guy they let walk just a year ago, which no one viewed as a real loss at the time.  If the swap of one team's trash for the other's didn't involve a former Jet, nobody would really think much of it.

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

I wouldn't be surprised by that, but also wouldn't count out the possibility of them using Davis as an opportunity to cut Harris, which would save them $6.5M with no hit.  Lee obviously isn't going anywhere regardless of what anyone thinks of him, so curious if these other two will be battling it out for a spot.  Keeping all 3 would be a bit curious.

Wow Literally the first person to 'get it'  This doesn't save 1.6M from pryor who schefter said they were just going to cut and take the cap hit.... Now they got rid of Pryor and can dump Harris and his 6.5 Mil salary for a younger replacement.

1 minute ago, PepPep said:

Except he can't cover or tackle. Other than that. Yes. 

Well Gregg Williams is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> than Bowles so it would mot surprise me at all if he found the right spot for this guy.

10 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I dont think anyone has said it yet. 

Thanks Idzik! 

I believe the only person left from that Idzik class is Enunwa. 

Nope

Posted · Report post

Thanks Idzik, Geez and we could have and Derek Carr. He must be the worst GM in the history of the NFL.

To be fair I'd sooner have Richard Pryor playing Safety for the Jets and the guys been gone 12 years, and weighed about 150 IBS

nfl_u_idzik_mb_300x200.jpg

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Don't you have some posts we can necro about how he was going to be such a welcome change from player's coach Rex?  Parcells disciple and all. 

Likely. He started to lose me by letting Cromartie freelance without consequence, then defending him like they were soulmates every time Cro let a receiver run past him without even turning around. Lost me some more when it came out he was letting the young building blocks of the team (Mo and Sheldon) walk all over him. Lost me altogether when he claimed ignorance of the locker room issues between Sheldon and Marshall. I don't think you teach leadership, and Bowles is little more than a paper tiger who's been sniffed out.

1 minute ago, Skeptable said:

Wow Literally the first person to 'get it'  This doesn't save 1.6M from pryor who schefter said they were just going to cut and take the cap hit.... Now they got rid of Pryor and can dump Harris and his 6.5 Mil salary for a younger replacement.

They could, but that fact he's the revered elder statesman and there was, apparently, SUCH POISON in the locker room in '16, I think Harris is kept on the team for his demeanor and leadership by example. But YES, dumping Harris for Davis at their current salaries would be a Cap Space improvement and a reasonable move. I think the loss of Harris is not worth the improved fiscal position.

2 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I seriously dont get why people are so angry about this. Trade one JAG for another JAG

Trading a 1st round pick that busted for a guy we already had and let go due to poor play.

It in and of itself is a near-irrelevant deal.....but it speaks to the farce and failure that is this Jets Front Office in terms of player evaluation, on both sides of this deal.

I'm not angry about it. It's too comical to get angry over tbqh.

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

I wouldn't be surprised by that, but also wouldn't count out the possibility of them using Davis as an opportunity to cut Harris, which would save them $6.5M with no hit.  Lee obviously isn't going anywhere regardless of what anyone thinks of him, so curious if these other two will be battling it out for a spot.  Keeping all 3 would be a bit curious.

Possibly but Jets aren't in salary cap hell this season so do they need Harris $6.5M this season for anything? Harris and Davis come off the books next yr, if Jets decide to move on from either..

IMO this is a 1 yr tryout for Davis to see if he can replace Harris as a compliment to Lee..

2 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

We're at the point where we're whining about not getting a 7th round pick in a trade. This is what it has come to here. Amazing. No wonder I've stayed away

And unlike this trade, people were actually happy about that.

42 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Some were good trades, getting Brandon Marshall for a 5th was a great trade and he produced big time for us.

As for a look at the trade, DOES THIS TEAM EVERY F'ING MAKE ONE MOVE WITH OFFENSE IN MIND?  Todd frigging Bowles is running this team Mac is looking more and more like a quiet version of Tanny just like Bowles is the quiet version of Rex.

Exactly.  This must be Woody's design. The similarities are uncanny.  The ONLY difference is no big mouth on Bowles.  But its clear that the GM caters to the wants of the HC just like under Rex.  Coincidence? I think not.  It's Woody's organizational hierarchy that is complete lunacy.

16 minutes ago, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

The issue is that until this team starts winning again the sojf whiners like Tomshane will troll this board with complaints about any move this team makes. 

8 minutes ago, PepPep said:

YES! For Calvin Pryor- a BUST who was on the verge of being cut?! YES its a good trade. Who cares if its not a 'premium' position. Were you expecting to get an elite pass rusher or QB out of the deal? A starting LT? C'mon man. Pryor was on the chopping block. And not just b/c the Jets drafted Mayes and Adams. Rather b/c of the way he regressed as a player. Him 4mil comes off the books after 2017- not a major financial commitment.  

Demario Davis was not on the verge of being cut?  (?!?!)

I guess the Fold for Darnold camp has something going for them.  Davis helped the Browns to the 31st best defense in yards allowed.  They were even better in points allowed.  30th!  99 tackles!!!

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Trading a 1st round pick that busted for a guy we already had and let go due to poor play.

It in and of itself is a near-irrelevant deal.....but it speaks to the farce and failure that is this Jets Front Office in terms of player evaluation, on both sides of this deal.

Perhaps they let him walk due to the price tag over 2 yrs, knowing they had a similar (I didn't say better) player in Harris under contract for 2 more yrs..

22 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Another locker room guy tho - I feel like a broken record - but, that sh*t must've been a ******* catastrophe way beyond what we know about last year. 

Way beyond.

Bigger than just the locker room, the whole organizational culture is just awful. Between keeping terry bradway for like two decades, forcing gms to keep coaches, and then having coach and gm report separately to the owner... just terribly clowny stuff. 

Not to mention the FA sprees to overpay medicore players, the constant 4-12 to 10-6 shuffle, and poor talent development across the board, it's really more than just bad drafting at this point. 

14 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I think there are 2 factors that weigh equally in terms of creating the environment. 

1. Bowles coddling malconents

2. Rex narcissistically filling the roster with like-minded, idiots whose behavior and attitude reinforced Rex's psychological problems (insert obvious political analogy here)

The reason Rex won with the Mangini built team is because the one thing Mangini was right about, was that a team has to be overwhelmingly comprised of players that live for football and buy-in to team. Those veterans that were here, did that. When Rex began purging the Mangini roster, he re-stocked with the aforementioned sh*theads. 

Anyway, good times.

Good points, and then Maccagnan elected to add career coach-killer Brandon Marshall to that locker room. Unreal

6 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Nope

Posted · Report post

Thanks Idzik, Geez and we could have and Derek Carr. He must be the worst GM in the history of the NFL.

To be fair I'd sooner have Richard Pryor playing Safety for the Jets and the guys been gone 12 years, and weighed about 150 IBS

nfl_u_idzik_mb_300x200.jpg

Pryor, Davis, McCown, 

Your avatar is looking like you saw this coming! lol. 

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Exactly.  This must be Woody's design. The similarities are uncanny.  The ONLY difference is no big mouth on Bowles.  But its clear that the GM caters to the wants of the HC just like under Rex.  Coincidence? I think not.  It's Woody's organizational hierarchy that is complete lunacy.

This. No plan, no idea, just flitting from one bad idea of the day  to the next. 

35 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Most Jets fans thought when he left last year it was a minus. That we were better off with him. I don't know the salary details of this trade but aren't they getting rid of Pryor's salary. I assume it might be a wash money wise (not sure) but in that case they just prefer Davis over Pryor. And there was some bad blood between Pryor and the org. The team is better off without him. And Davis isn't a bad player at all. I don't see how you can kill Mac on this one. We got something instead of nothing. 

If Davis makes it through camp, the difference in contracts ($1.5M vs. $3.8M) will cost the Jets about $2.3M in cash and against the cap.  But if Davis is cut before the season, the Jets are no longer on the hook for Pryor's $1.6M.

Archived