OTA Tweets

flgreen

The media has access to ONE practice a week, why is it assumed that the reps are ALWAYS the same when the

media isn't there?  Never mind this is the internet, the posters know what's going on with no access 

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Demario is back in #56, that means Freddie Bishop had to give up the number....maybe a sign of Bishop's status or could mean nothing.  Donahue nd Mauldin playing well also is bad for Bishop, who I like as a prospect 

39 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

One ironclad law of the NFL: if you want to regain control of a shaky locker room, your first step should be handing first-team reps to sh*tty players just because they're young

Actually the 1st law should be don't lie your ass off saying it is going to be an equal competition when it is obviously not.  If the Jets 2 and 3 Qb are garbage compared to the new guy that is fine but don't lie to the world and say all are equal. its just more bull sh*t.

1 hour ago, Greenseed4 said:

Miles is a stud.

He was noticeably better than Pryor last year, and I like his approach to the offseason: he knows he's not taking Adams' spot, so he drops 20 lbs to improve his coverage/range and compete with Maye for the "FS" spot. 

I wouldn't be shocked if he got it. 

He's been better than Pryor since the second he arrived but the best players play, so....

1 minute ago, Sarge4Tide said:

If Demario is back in #56, that means Freddie Bishop had to give up the number....maybe a sign of Bishop's status or could mean nothing.  Donahue nd Mauldin playing well also is bad for Bishop, who I like as a prospect 

perhaps Davis gave him some $$$ for the #..

Bishop didn't have a certain roster spot prior to the draft. He did flash in the few games he played in last season and displayed his toughness lining up at times at NT..  

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

Guess Tom Brady also isn't at Detroit's OTA today

Kyle Meinke‏ @kmeinke  

Great practice from Teez Tabor today, including picking off Matthew Stafford. Physical coverage on Marvin Jones on the play

The best corner in the draft and a desperate position of need.  It's cool though, we doubled up on Safeties and took the less talented player from the same programs secondary.

53 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

This really isn't how sh*t should be. McCown shouldn't be doubling the reps when we're rebuilding the rebuild... he's a ******* veteran. Why can we not get professional coaches in here?

Blame Bowles for that.  Many of us knew that Bowles would have no intention of starting anyone other than McCown.  4-12 win is better than 1-15 from his point of view, amirite?

Just now, JiF said:

It's a super handsome face.  It's the only reason I think he can be good.  Handsome dudes succeed at the QB position. 

i was talking about the female reporter he commented on last page :P 

53 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

This really isn't how sh*t should be. McCown shouldn't be doubling the reps when we're rebuilding the rebuild... he's a ******* veteran. Why can we not get professional coaches in here?

I dont think he sh be getting so many reps either but to be fair the media is only at 1 OTA per week and the jets said they were going to cycle thru QB starting time

So if you believe them then on 1st OTA open to media McCown started he also gets the 4th open to media and 7th OTA open to media

according to schedule then Petty got 2nd OTA and 5th OTA not open to media and Hack got 3rd OTA and 6th OTA not open to media

1 minute ago, KRL said:

The media has access to ONE practice a week, why is it assumed that the reps are ALWAYS the same when the

media isn't there?  Never mind this is the internet, the posters know what's going on with no access 

Good point, I honestly didn't really know this... 

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

It's a super handsome face.  It's the only reason I think he can be good.  Handsome dudes succeed at the QB position. 

*looks at Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Ben Rothlesberger*

Just now, Integrity28 said:

Good point, I honestly didn't really know this... 

Love it!!!!!!!!

Last year, they didnt want anyone to see the Hackinator.  This year, they're giving everyone the old rope-a-dope by showcasing McCown at media available practices when the secret weapon (Hackinator) is only released when the media isnt around.

34 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Honestly, if this was the last 2 weeks before the season opened, and the kids had shown they suck, I'd understand.  At this point in the season, neither young guy has ever played in a WCO, they freaking need the reps.

This is insane

Most of the offensive TEAM hasn't played in a WCO, let alone the 2 new neophyte QBs. 

This has been stated by myself and a few other non-neadrathals around here (choose to be offended if you think this applies to you :)), lol :

This is a VERY young team learning a new offensive system where most of the skill players and OLine - probably except for Forte, Decker, and possibly Bilal who was here under Schotty - have been in the league LESS THAN 4 years and aren't too familiar with the WCO (assumption on MY part). So it makes sense that the 1 QB who DOES have Familiarity with the WCO, McCown, would get the MOST reps during OTAs as the ENTIRE TEAM is LEARNING the offense and can't be held back by Petty and Hack who are also new to learning the WCO. MC Cown  is the only who can assure OTAs resemble a functioning  practice w/out the hiccups the other 2 QBS would definitely have during team drills. The TEAM still has to implement the offense, and MC Cown helps expedite and facilitate that during OTAs, without slowing down the rest of the team like #9 & #5 would.

Come TC, with time to learn the playbook and knowing now what coaches expect, I FULLY expect either Hack and Petty to seize the opportunity or we fans know that we go QB in '18.  By the 2nd preseason game McCown should be surpassed by either #9 or #5 in first team reps. If not, you're validated in your outrage w/McCown getting the primary reps and snaps, but that's in August, not early June. 

6 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

I dont think he sh be getting so many reps either but to be fair the media is only at 1 OTA per week and the jets said they were going to cycle thru QB starting time

So if you believe them then on 1st OTA open to media McCown started he also gets the 4th open to media and 7th OTA open to media

according to schedule then Petty got 2nd OTA and 5th OTA not open to media and Hack got 3rd OTA and 6th OTA not open to media

And from the Jets point of view it is better to have the media to see the Vet (McCown) rather than the younger players who are more apt to make mistakes.

9 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Most of the offensive TEAM hasn't played in a WCO, let alone the 2 new neophyte QBs. 

This has been stated by myself and a few other non-neadrathals around here (choose to be offended if you think this applies to you :)), lol :

This is a VERY young team learning a new offensive system where most of the skill players and OLine - probably except for Forte, Decker, and possibly Bilal who was here under Schotty - have been in the league LESS THAN 4 years and aren't too familiar with the WCO (assumption on MY part). So it makes sense that the 1 QB who DOES have Familiarity with the WCO, McCown, would get the MOST reps during OTAs as the ENTIRE TEAM is LEARNING the offense and can't be held back by Petty and Hack who are also new to learning the WCO. MC Cown  is the only who can assure OTAs resemble a functioning  practice w/out the hiccups the other 2 QBS would definitely have during team drills. The TEAM still has to implement the offense, and MC Cown helps expedite and facilitate that during OTAs, without slowing down the rest of the team like #9 & #5 would.

Come TC, with time to learn the playbook and knowing now what coaches expect, I FULLY expect either Hack and Petty to seize the opportunity or we fans know that we go QB in '18.  By the 2nd preseason game McCown should be surpassed by either #9 or #5 in first team reps. If not, you're validated in your outrage w/McCown getting the primary reps and snaps, but that's in August, not early June. 

I thought the same thing about McCown leading the way early int the process and then I remembered which team i root for.  Would you really be surprised if the first day of TC McCown taking the first snap under center?

3 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

I thought the same thing about McCown leading the way early int the process and then I remembered which team i root for.  Would you really be surprised if the first day of TC McCown taking the first snap under center?

16 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Reading comprehension.

Just now, Gas2No99 said:

Reading comprehension.

oh, i saw that and apparently you see that coming too :) so you think it is better that 1st team reps go to McCown until a couple weeks before the season starts because of the WCO?  

I am in the camp of creating some sort of rhythm with the starters for the kids.  New system or not, our 2 young guys are not rookies. are they vets of 12 years? no. If you think giving one of the two of them a couple of weeks to work on that chemistry, you sir, have more than reading comprehension to worry about. 

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

In fairness, maybe it's because we want the WRs and the rest of the offense to develop too?

25 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

That's a reasonable assessment of what's going on, though it might fall apart if Bowles himself says something different. There's so much talk of equal reps and opportunity I've forgotten how exactly TB actually said it would go down. (Don't remember quotes or anything) But it would make sense to do some plays with Mr.Journeyman for the benefit of other growing pieces rather than just serving the two young QB's.

If this were year two into an offense that argument gets thrown out the window, but I see where you're coming from. Its a juggling act alright, ideally the young players get better with other young players but how best to even get to THAT point when the offense is strange and new?

2 hours ago, flgreen said:

Final #Jets QB reps today: McCown 31, Hackenberg 17, Petty 15.

It makes 0 sense for McCown to get twice as many reps as either of the young guys in OTA's. Unless of course the "Fair competition"  is total BS, and Bowles has already decided who his starter is, and is giving McCown the reps, well because, you know," he gives us the best chance to win "

Hackenberg is so sh*t the team has to manage his reps so he doesn't almost throw 6 ints in a practice instead of only 3 ints

This guy has had a year off to get better if he can't beat out McCown that says it all. 

50 minutes ago, JiF said:

The best corner in the draft and a desperate position of need.  It's cool though, we doubled up on Safeties and took the less talented player from the same programs secondary.

And who is the best stand out in camp .. Adams...

Do some of you pay attention to what, exactly, is said?

According to Cimini:  "Hack threw a nice TD to Decker."

He also threw a couple of incompletions that "WEREN'T CLOSE."

Think about those words, "weren't close."  That means the throws were like roll your eyes at the guy sitting next to you with no need to actually say anything... bad....

"Weren't close" are not words chosen regularly to describe successful NFL quarterbacks.  Neither are "couldn't hit the ocean."

6 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Do some of you pay attention to what, exactly, is said?

According to Cimini:  "Hack threw a nice TD to Decker."

He also threw a couple of incompletions that "WEREN'T CLOSE."

Think about those words, "weren't close."  That means the throws were like roll your eyes at the guy sitting next to you with no need to actually say anything... bad....

"Weren't close" are not words chosen regularly to describe successful NFL quarterbacks.  Neither are "couldn't hit the ocean."

So in all seriousness, at this point - what would you do? 

Let McCown start?

Give Petty another shot?

Or give Hack more reps and keep your fingers crossed that during camp he shows improvement?

I mean, it's fun to come here and read all the posts bashing Hackenberg on a daily basis, but really, what options does this team have right now? As a fan, I'm rooting for improvement from the young guys. Do I believe either of them are our future? I'm not stupid. But I'm not going to come to JN to bash them every ******* time they throw an incompletion in OTAs.

So to get away from the same ole QB rantings for a moment, does anyone have a clue as to what could possibly be the basis of so many thoughts on the Jets OL and pass rushers?  While obviously the success of the latter would be something we all want to hear, how exactly can any of these guys reasonably be evaluated in non-contract drills?  Everything these guys do is based entirely on contact.  If it's a concern of OL failing to block guys they can't touch, or excitement over rushers beating OL who are just standing there, I'm kind of thinking there's not much to be drawing from this.  Basically, outside of just looking at how quickly these guys get out of their stance, what is even going on there?

1 hour ago, JiF said:

He might not even be the best CB drafted from Fla this year.(Wilson)

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Couldnt agree more. There is simply no defense for giving McCown a significant amount of reps. The Jets are idiots, just no real way around it. McCown should literally get 5% of all the reps just to give Hack and Petty time to get a blow. Manning and Brady always talk about how they still need ALL of the 1st team reps to perform at a high level, yet the dullard Bowles is giving the developmental QBs less than 50% of the reps total and expecting them to improve. It is completely insane. I am so mad at what I am hearing from OTAs. Bowles is the dumbest coach in the NFL and learned NOTHING from the last 2 years of his coaching failures. And of course, Decker working with friggin McCown after practice. Decker is a cancer and needs to be cut the second he is 100% healthy, 

Archived