John Mara: I wish we had an owner like this

varjet

The colon in the thread title makes it seem like "I wish we had an owner like this" was uttered by none other than John Mara himself & I was hoping he was foreshadowing a soon-to-come descent into Jim Irsay-esque levels of madness.

3 hours ago, varjet said:

Guess you're forgetting this is an owner who's had a fanbase boycott home games, fly planes over their stadium ripping their team, fought publically with his brother over football nonsense, had The commissioner threaten to take charge if they didn't bring in George Young to run the team.  

35 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

It's easy to have an owner like Mara . All you have to do is become a Giants fans . 

Me personally, I wish the Jets would revisit the West side Stadium  situation .

I'd much rather see the Jets build their own stadium in N.J that makes MetLife look more like a minor league ballpark. 

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

It's easy to have an owner like Mara . All you have to do is become a Giants fans . 

Me personally, I wish the Jets would revisit the West side Stadium  situation .

Perhaps in 14 years they will, I believe that's how long they are financially committed to Met Life.  

5 hours ago, varjet said:

People were chastising him for providing effusive praise and losing leverage for contract negotiations.  Sounds familiar around here whenever we talk up a player or say something publicly.  We used to have a boastful coach who thought the world of all his players and everyone wanted him to shut up, I don't understand why Mara gets a pass.

56 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Home field advantage and no longer playing in Giants stadium.....in the Giants shadow.....

to be fair our win % was much better at Giants Stadium than Shea Stadium and since we opened the new building the jets and Giants have almost identical home records.

Cross town rivalry bias aside, Mara is largely looked at in owner circles as a piece of sh*t who is difficult to get along with.  Also, the stuff that came out about him knowing all about the Josh Brown stuff is a really really bad look.  Our dude is just a trust fund baby who doesn't know how to put the puzzle pieces together of a grade school puzzle.

Ok.  I stand corrected.  I was impressed that he understood the game and appeared to have a relationship with the players.

I don't know how you can compare Woody and the Maras though.   How many Super Bowls have they won since Woody bought the Jets?

3 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Not sure how Mara is a better owner then Woody, or how the Giants are a better franchise then the Jets frankly

the big difference is the giaints have what remains of a huge fan base created when they were the only team in town and then had it enhanced when parcells was winning in the 80's. with the exception of the 60's the jets really haven't had any sustained multiple year success and so the fan base really hasn't grown much.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Home field advantage and no longer playing in Giants stadium.....in the Giants shadow.....

Only a fool thinks we play on Giants stadium or that he field depends on the name on the building.  

Why dont Giants fans whine that they play in the Jets shadow, we own half of the stadium just like the Giants do?  Know why? They're not obsessed fans looking to whine

13 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The Josh Brown fiasco was appalling. Woody is a herb but I don't recall an instance where he ever sunk that low. That was some dark sh*t.

The testament to how well Mara is perceived as an owner/human is that they pulled that dark sh*t and nobody blinked an eye. 

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Only a fool thinks we play on Giants stadium or that he field depends on the name on the building.  

Why dont Giants fans whine that they play in the Jets shadow, we own half of the stadium just like the Giants do?  Know why? They're not obsessed fans looking to whine

Think what you want mask it anyway you want....whatever works for you. 

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I blame Dolan for us not having a gorgeous retractable roof stadium in Manhattan.

I blame Mara for us not having a beautiful retractable roof stadium in Jersey.

I blame Woody for us not practicing at Met life, but allowing the Giants to do so. 

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Mask what, we own half the stadium.  That you interpret this in some bizarre way is on you, not on people masking anything.  Your logic means the Giants fans should ask the same questions as a handful of Jets fans like you whine about on a consistent basis. 

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Mask what, we own half the stadium.  That you interpret this in some bizarre way is on you, not on people masking anything.  Your logic means the Giants fans should ask the same questions as a handful of Jets fans like you whine about on a consistent basis. 

Not whining about anything stating a fact.  The fact that 2 NFL teams play a total of 20 home games there counting preseason and the place isn't that nice. 

Woody is making money and so are the Mara's and Tisch's thats all that matters. 

We will never have a home field to call our own, we share a stadium, fact. 

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Not whining about anything stating a fact.  The fact that 2 NFL teams play a total of 20 home games there counting preseason and the place isn't that nice. 

Woody is making money and so are the Mara's and Tisch's thats all that matters. 

We will never have a home field to call our own, we share a stadium, fact. 

The place is nice and more to everyone but a handful of Jet fans, know for their ability to whine about everything.  Giants fans don't whine like you do.  

No shlt, the owners want to make money?  This is bad in your mind?  That you would think it made more sense to build two enormously expensive stadiums within 20 minutes of each other says You're not thinking this through.  

We have a home field of our own when we're home, just as the Giants do when they're home.  Stop,already

37 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The place is nice and more to everyone but a handful of Jet fans, know for their ability to whine about everything.  Giants fans don't whine like you do.  

No shlt, the owners want to make money?  This is bad in your mind?  That you would think it made more sense to build two enormously expensive stadiums within 20 minutes of each other says You're not thinking this through.  

We have a home field of our own when we're home, just as the Giants do when they're home.  Stop,already

+1

Archived