Jon Gruden "preparing to coach again"

T0mShane

9 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Jon Gruden, he's always seemed to carry like 5 QB's on his Roster. Never impressed by his Offence. Is Life's so bad has a Jets fan, our dream is to have Gruden as HC! 

Basically if the Jets are in a postion to Draft Darnold, we will have quality candidates for the post.

The Nightmare scenario is we win 4-5 games, no shot at a QB in the top 3, and Draft a fooking Corner Back, because we can't even Tank properly.

you know it's coming.....

tumblr_onj9r8yIoe1rfd7lko1_500.gif

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys may laugh but at this point, I'd take Herm over Bowles. Although our expectations are super low this season, I do believe at some point us fans are going to let our voice be heard and someone has to take the blame. Fire that dumbskeet of a coach and give Gruden a blank check. 

Seriusuly though. A top 2 pick + 70 million in cap space, his infatuation with Adams can hopefully attract him to come out of the booth. I want to witness a super bowl before I die, and I'm only 27. I'm slightly worried at this point. 

15 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Jon Gruden is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO overrated as a HC IMO, he won with someone else's roster, and the minute he built his own the team went down the tubes, if your going to use the same argument about Rex only winning with Mangini's roster then the same must apply to Gruden.

In fairness Gruden helped build the team he beat in the SB. A roster that was so good even Bill Callahan got there as the HC (on top of the extra draft picks Oakland got and Tampa lost in the exchange, starting with Tampa's 1st and 2nd round picks in 2002). The "minute he built his own" is a team that was stripped of two first rounders and two second rounders, after recently surrendering two first rounders for Keyshawn in 2000, before he got there.  

Can you name anyone who built a long term winner without the benefit of 4 first round picks and 2 second round picks in a 4 year span, while the talent they did have got older (or too expensive to keep everyone once they were out of their cheap rookie deals)? I can't think of one.

His own obvious shortcomings and deserved firing aside, Rex didn't only win with Mangini's roster, no matter how many times it makes people feel good to repeat this fable. By 2010, half the starters were different, including that 2008 team's two most important players (Favre/Jenkins).  

• New starters on the 2010 championship game team: QB (Sanchez), WR1+WR2 (Edwards+Holmes), LG (Slauson), RB1+RB2 (Tomlinson+Greene), ILB (Scott), CB2 (Cromartie), both safeties (Leonhard+Pool), and both their kicker (Folk) and punter (Weatherford). Also Marques Douglas in '09
  • Not to mention starters who were just backups under Mangini (Keller, Pouha, DeVito)
  • And 3 inherited, expensive players who were totally useless by 2010 years (Jenkins, Gholston, Faneca) who collectively ate up >10% of the unofficial cap and hurt exponentially more than they helped in 2010, not to mention the draft picks they didn't to benefit from (1st for Gholston, 3rd for Favre, 3rd+5th for Jenkins).

As likely as not - if not more likely than not - based on what he did after leaving the Jets, Mangini would have fallen flat on his face here, had he not gotten fired.

There is no great "one that got away" from us. Remember when the stories were floated that we foolishly let go of Mike Pettine instead of promoting him in 2013? The guy's NFL coaching career was over by the end of the 2015 season, and he was already out of the league before he turned 50. At least Mangini got one more job as a TE coach before getting fired from that position as well.

2 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

I would just like a HC who can correctly call timeouts and who can bench any player when they are stinking it up on the field.  We get that guy and I will be happy.

Might as well ask for the moon too.

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

In fairness Gruden helped build the team he beat in the SB. A roster that was so good even Bill Callahan got there as the HC (on top of the extra draft picks Oakland got and Tampa lost in the exchange, starting with Tampa's 1st and 2nd round picks in 2002). The "minute he built his own" is a team that was stripped of two first rounders and two second rounders, after recently surrendering two first rounders for Keyshawn in 2000, before he got there.  

Can you name anyone who built a long term winner without the benefit of 4 first round picks and 2 second round picks in a 4 year span, while the talent they did have got older (or too expensive to keep everyone once they were out of their cheap rookie deals)? I can't think of one.

His own obvious shortcomings and deserved firing aside, Rex didn't only win with Mangini's roster, no matter how many times it makes people feel good to repeat this fable. By 2010, half the starters were different, including that 2008 team's two most important players (Favre/Jenkins).  

• New starters on the 2010 championship game team: QB (Sanchez), WR1+WR2 (Edwards+Holmes), LG (Slauson), RB1+RB2 (Tomlinson+Greene), ILB (Scott), CB2 (Cromartie), both safeties (Leonhard+Pool), and both their kicker (Folk) and punter (Weatherford). Also Marques Douglas in '09
  • Not to mention starters who were just backups under Mangini (Keller, Pouha, DeVito)
  • And 3 inherited, expensive players who were totally useless by 2010 years (Jenkins, Gholston, Faneca) who collectively ate up >10% of the unofficial cap and hurt exponentially more than they helped in 2010, not to mention the draft picks they didn't to benefit from (1st for Gholston, 3rd for Favre, 3rd+5th for Jenkins).

As likely as not - if not more likely than not - based on what he did after leaving the Jets, Mangini would have fallen flat on his face here, had he not gotten fired.

There is no great "one that got away" from us. Remember when the stories were floated that we foolishly let go of Mike Pettine instead of promoting him in 2013? The guy's NFL coaching career was over by the end of the 2015 season, and he was already out of the league before he turned 50. At least Mangini got one more job as a TE coach before getting fired from that position as well.

You Rex lovers never stop amazing me

3 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Gruden is a good coach and would actually fit the Jets well. He probably wouldnt have to make too many changes to the offensive staff which would help the Jets future HOF QB Hackenberg out.

This is probably the biggest reason why Gruden could actually be a fit as opposed to simply being fodder for an article and clicks bait.

Being able to keep our offensive staff would be huge as Bates and Morton both seem to be solid coaches for this team and would allow the system to stay the same.  Gruden can come in a a diciplinarian who has the background to command respect and run an offense.  He can hand pick a def coordinator to fit our personnel and suddenly have a solid staff whether its Hackenberg or a rookie at QB in 2018

On 7/28/2017 at 3:30 PM, Fantasy Island said:

I would just like a HC who can correctly call timeouts and who can bench any player when they are stinking it up on the field.  We get that guy and I will be happy.

What he said. Was there ever a bigger embarrassment than having "Grandfather Clock" on the sidelines because our HC was too inept to manage the clock? 

13 hours ago, tuffhand said:

What he said. Was there ever a bigger embarrassment than having "Grandfather Clock" on the sidelines because our HC was too inept to manage the clock? 

Yes there is a bigger embarrassment and he is our current HC

20 hours ago, BCJet said:

This is probably the biggest reason why Gruden could actually be a fit as opposed to simply being fodder for an article and clicks bait.

Being able to keep our offensive staff would be huge as Bates and Morton both seem to be solid coaches for this team and would allow the system to stay the same.  Gruden can come in a a diciplinarian who has the background to command respect and run an offense.  He can hand pick a def coordinator to fit our personnel and suddenly have a solid staff whether its Hackenberg or a rookie at QB in 2018

And that's where it would fall apart. Even Parcells, a notorious "veteran guy" looked way more comfortable developing young raw QBs (Bledsoe, Romo, even Lucas to some extent) than Gruden ever could. His history shows that unless he hits on the right veteran retread, he's toast.

Archived