#JetsCamp Updates - Day Three - Mon 07/31/17

Maxman

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

For those who decided what Hack would be sight unseen apparently.  And just as blindly come up with comments like you threw out there that Hack really didn't outplay #15.  

In between the tweets hyperventilating about Hackenberg throwing seven-yard dumpoffs, you'll note other enlightened (though muted) tweets about how he's not getting the ball out in time and how the defense destroyed the offense every time they've lined up. You're being played.  I understand the impulse in fans and the beat guys to want him to succeed, but you dudes are wayyyyyyyyy out over your skis. You just spent two days locked in an onanistic fervor because Cimini hasn't mentioned "footwork" yet.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

In between the tweets hyperventilating about Hackenberg throwing seven-yard dumpoffs, you'll note other enlightened (though muted) tweets about how he's not getting the ball out in time and how the defense destroyed the offense every time they've lined up. You're being played.  I understand the impulse in fans and the beat guys to want him to succeed, but you dudes are wayyyyyyyyy out over your skis. You just spent two days locked in an onanistic fervor because Cimini hasn't mentioned "footwork" yet.

If I understood what irony meant, I may insert that word here.

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Players know how little this means, only fans, especially the ones are praying Hack is the starter do.

If we were talking about vets who have been through 10 camps, and have a secure contract, I'd agree.  We're not.  We are mostly talking about  1st and 2nd year players who are fighting to even make the roster.  First team reps are used to reward, encourage, and warn vets that their position is in jeopardy.

When a rookie like Dylan Donahue is given 1st team reps on the first 3 days of camp it is a statement.  For Donahue it's a reward, for the vets who were in front of him, it's a warning that they better step it up.  There's a hungry dog right behind you.

First team reps are what young players have to establish what their standing on the team is.  When they march McCown out there with the 1's, they are telling the team it's his job to lose.  When he continues getting those first team reps while his performance is being described as "dreadful" it's not a good message to send to a young team who is being told every position is in play

Just now, T0mShane said:

I majored in English literature at some of the finest universities on the east coast. There is no irony there. 

The fact that you had to attend "some" universities lets me know that you had trouble "fitting in".

That you majored in English Lit, makes me giggle. 

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Insightful analysis while ignoring the main common thread to all the tweets.  Hack has outplayed all others.

Root against your teams QB, team, fans and media.  We're over our skis?  We're going off of what is written by people at camp, while you're trying to read between the lines to prove yourself right and everyone else played.  Makes sense to me

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

The fact that you had to attend "some" universities lets me know that you had trouble "fitting in".

That you majored in English Lit, makes me giggle. 

One university couldn't quench my intellectual thirst.

3 minutes ago, flgreen said:

If we were talking about vets who have been through 10 camps, and have a secure contract, I'd agree.  We're not.  We are mostly talking about  1st and 2nd year players who are fighting to even make the roster.  First team reps are used to reward, encourage, and warn vets that their position is in jeopardy.

When a rookie like Dylan Donahue is given 1st team reps on the first 3 days of camp it is a statement.  For Donahue it's a reward, for the vets who were in front of him, it's a warning that they better step it up.  There's a hungry dog right behind you.

First team reps are what young players have to establish what their standing on the team is.  When they march McCown out there with the 1's, they are telling the team it's his job to lose.  When he continues getting those first team reps while his performance is being described as "dreadful" it's not a good message to send to a young team who is being told every position is in play

OMG, really?  You believe who takes the first snap, when they take an equal amount at the end of the day is this important?  And decide all on your own that the statement is that McCown is the starter?  Ridiculous and totally ignores what the HC has said, repeatedly 

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

OMG, really?  You believe who takes the first snap, when they take an equal amount at the end of the day is this important?  And decide all on your own that the statement is that McCown is the starter?  Ridiculous and totally ignores what the HC has said, repeatedly 

LOL

No I haven't decided this on my own, it's how coaches reward and motivate.

Jets rookie report: OLB Dylan Donahue, who impressed coaches in the offseason, practiced with the first-team base defense. There's competition at both OLB spots, so Todd Bowles is rotating players every day. This is a new world for Donahue, who played out of a three-point stance at Division II West Georgia. He's a high-motor pass rusher who must learn the nuances of pass coverage and playing in space.

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fcimini_

17 minutes ago, nycdan said:

This is exactly the point.  He didn't say McCown was the presumptive starter but his actions are clear.  For now, McCown is the #1 and Hack has to outplay him to earn it.  But even then, it may take a while until Bowles is ready to make the switch.  That's not a 3-way competition.  I get coaches feeling safer with veterans but this ain't that.  It's not like this is Brett Favre we're talking about.  What in the world has McCown done to earn even the illusion of being a presumptive starter on any team?  

Crazy thought but maybe if McCown doesn't start with the #1s tomorrow HE'LL play better.  

Nobody is the starter. This is just the default rotation. Why would it be any other way? They clearly want Hack to earn his way up and not just say here ya go kid. Let him have more then 1 decent practice back to back. Sounded like he still had a bunch of errors out there. I wouldn't expect any change until maybe after Saturdays scrimmage. You guys are way too impatient. It's been 3 days. 

28 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This is going to be an all-time classic season on ye ol' JetNation dot com

I said repeatedly that I was more excited for camp this year than I had ever been, and three days in, it is everything I dreamed of and more.

3 minutes ago, flgreen said:

LOL

No I haven't decided this on my own, it's how coaches reward and motivate.

Jets rookie report: OLB Dylan Donahue, who impressed coaches in the offseason, practiced with the first-team base defense. There's competition at both OLB spots, so Todd Bowles is rotating players every day. This is a new world for Donahue, who played out of a three-point stance at Division II West Georgia. He's a high-motor pass rusher who must learn the nuances of pass coverage and playing in space.

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fcimini_

So Hack needs to be rewarded by throwing the first pass in 1 of the 3 first practices to be motivated enough?  If he gets the first throw tomorrow it will do what exactly for him?  

20 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Tomshane gonna Tomshane

27 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

Personally, I need a week of this just so I can comfortably call him the leader of the pack. There just hasn't been enough time to make even that tentative judgment. Like I said if Hack does bad tomorrow McCown's stock goes up in an instant.

Okay. I'm just saying that, so far, Hack has been the top dog. I don't see how that can be an unfair statement. He's 3/3 in solid practices so far. 

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

@Maxman is this adware needs to be blocked, it comes up on every other click on my iPad. 

Anyone else dealing with this? 

IMG_2935.PNG

It stopped for a few hours this afternoon, but it's back now. If you need some motivation to get it fixed, @Maxman, bear in mind that every time I get redirected, it deprives the site of my various witty remarks

Just now, Jet Nut said:

So Hack needs to be rewarded by throwing the first pass in 1 of the 3 first practices to be motivated enough?  If he gets the first throw tomorrow it will do what exactly for him?  

So tell me.  What has McCown done to deserve the 1st reps all 3 days.  Was it his .300 winning percentage as a starter on...was it 8 teams?   If it was Favre, or even Fitz, I think this would make more sense.  But McCown is roughly the equivalent of an older Kellen Clemens who has somehow managed to survive season to season by catching on at the next team in desperate need of a backup.  Only Bowles doesn't seem to be treating him like a perennial backup. 

For me it's more about that than about Hack getting the 1st reps.  if we had anyone with even a modest chance of being a solid veteran, I'd be fine with this, but the very illusion that McCown might start makes me ill.  That's the "we're not even trying" scenario.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I was plagued with that sh*t all last week. It's been happening on a bunch of sites around the internet 

So here and Altar Boys and Cub Scouts Confidential? 

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I guess you just don't get it.  It's not just throwing the first ball, it's working with the starters for the whole practice to develop a relationship, getting timing down, to establish a leadership role.  

When vets lose 1st team reps to rookies, they frequently lose their jobs.  I guess your under the opinion that they are just out there playing catch.  They are fighting for their professional careers. 

In camp first team reps mean everything...........Unless they are an establised vet who is being rested.  

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

I guess you just don't get it.  It's not just throwing the first ball, it's working with the starters for the whole practice to develop a relationship, getting timing down, to establish a leadership role.  

When vets lose 1st team reps to rookies, they frequently lose their jobs.  I guess your under the opinion that they are just out there playing catch.  They are fighting for their professional careers. 

In camp first team reps mean everything...........Unless they are an establised vet who is being rested.  

Three practices in and this is not a concern of mine. 

If Hackenberg continues to outplay McCown and this is still the rotation next week, it will become a concern of mine. 

20 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I said repeatedly that I was more excited for camp this year than I had ever been, and three days in, it is everything I dreamed of and more.

There are no negative outcomes in this Jets future. This is an incredible feeling.

Archived