KRL Camp Notes (8/3/17)

KRL

4 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

You are rudely mistaken I read other media reports as well as KRL's great evaluations of Jets camp. 

Were these the same sources who said the Patriots haven't taken their pads off since last season ended and have been wearing them every day of camp?

You need to start following different sources.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Were these the same sources who said the Patriots haven't taken their pads off since last season ended and have been wearing them every day of camp?

You need to start following different sources.

LMFAO.

5 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

You are rudely mistaken I read other media reports as well as KRL's great evaluations of Jets camp. 

Every single media report and every KRL report has said that Hack has looked the best of the three except for today where Petty took the best of a bad day by all.

6 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Every single media report and every KRL report has said that Hack has looked the best of the three except for today where Petty took the best of a bad day by all.

And I truly believe that Petty would outplay McCown but he isn't getting the reps.  

It is clear to me that the team (ie. coaching staff) doesn't believe in Petty as the potential starter, but I still feel skill set wise he is a person of interest and should be given a real shot if Hack doesn't pan out

The idea that the Jets have given the likes of Brooks Bolinger (injuries I know) a shot in the past and not Petty is madness. 

13 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Kdels also couldn't find Bowles anywhere on the field.  

Ill put my trust in KRLs reports

Neither is necessarily right or wrong, they're just fans taking time to share what they experience with other fans. Conflicting info should be taken with a grain of salt, but neither should be disparaged for the unselfish act of trying to share.

12 hours ago, KRL said:

My final day at camp and I want to thank Phil Sullivan (Maxman) and the site for getting
me access.  Also a huge shout out to the Jets kitchen staff for the "restaurant quality"
lunches they provide on a daily basis to the members of the media

General Notes

- Players in full pads

- Practice runs 2 hours 40 minutes

- Matt Forte, Connor Harris (ILB) and Marcus Murphy (RB) sat out

- Today was "red zone" day and the offense was out of sync.  John Morton (OC) had his
"cranky pants" on and I wouldn't want to be attending any of his meetings tonight.
Very weird day for the offense, the OLine and RB's performed well but the QB's and
WR's weren't on the same page.  Also, strangely the TE's weren't thrown to as much as the
first four days and the offense stalled

- Todd Bowles also wasn't satisfied because after practice the whole team had to run gassers

Player Notes

- Jamal Adams practiced but about half way through he was on the sideline and didn't participate
in any 11 on 11 periods.  This left Marcus Maye in charge of the secondary and he had another
good day.  In 1 on 1 drills he showed CB coverage skills and during one red zone period he almost
had an INT of Josh McCown

- Ardarius Stewart "flashed" in 1 on 1 drills with acrobatic catches from McCown and Christian
Hackenberg.  He showed good ability to adjust to the ball in the air and make difficult catches

- Chad Hansen unfortunately wasn't as lucky as he probably had the "practice from hell".  In one
period of 11 on 11 he was told to run laps on three consecutive reps.  In two reps he made assignment
mistakes and in the other he dropped a pass.  Hopefully someone gives him a hug and some ice cream
tonight

- Elijah McGuire continues to impress with his ability / willingness to run through the middle of
the line.  And today he flashed his receiving ability as he was excellent in "wheel routes"

- The OLine during the 11 on 11 periods provided enough time for the QB's to throw and was able to
get movement in the running game.  In 1 on 1 drills they were able to battle the DLine to a draw in
the reps.  Props to Brent Qvale, Brian Winters, Wesley Johnson, James Carpenter, Kelvin Beachum and
Brandon Shell

- Frank Beltre (OLB) the LB signed out of the CFL "flashed" today with some Dwight Freeney type spin
moves as he impressed in 1 on 1 drills.  Let's see if that continues

- Morris Claiborne continued his good camp with excellent coverage throughout all the drills.  He almost
had an acrobatic INT of McCown in 1 on 1 drills but the ball came out when he hit the ground

- Julian Stanford (ILB) had an impressive day showing physicality in the 9 on 7 running drills.  Then in
an 11 on 11 period he had a "sack" with a well timed blitz

- In the kicking competition Chandler Catanzaro was only 3 of 6 where Ross Martin was a perfect 6 of 6.
And on his 55 yard attempt Martin hit it with plenty of room to spare

- The more reps Dylan Donahue gets the more you see his pass rush ability.  Today he got a "sack" during
team periods

- Demario Davis had another "pad cracking" hit that led to a sack during team periods.  Will he keep this
up?

QB's

- With them being out of sync with the WR's no one can be "applauded".  There were some nice throws from
Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg in various 1 on 1 and 7 on 7 periods but the goal is to be consistent
and that didn't happen today

- Hackenberg continues to maintain the technical improvements that I saw the first four days.  But to be a #1 QB
you don't get a "trophy" for maintaining your fundamentals.  He needs to be judged on production just like any
other QB

Standouts

- Elijah McGuire
- Marcus Maye
- Morris Claborne

Concerns

- Out of sync offense
- Did the WR's have trouble with press coverage again
- Morton wants them to pick up the tempo in running plays

Kitchen staff quality food and ice cream.... ? 

If I have to be subjected to Josh McCown as the starting QB of the Jets in 2017, Redzone will be my preferred NFL football viewing vehicle. It just amazes me that this team hasn't been able to find a QB in the draft since Ken Obrien! This is the same team that allowed Terry Bradway to take a f*cking KICKER in the 2nd round, trade a 1st round pick for a JAG tight end, but the ONE TIME IN HIS F*CKING LIFE THAT HE GETS IT RIGHT, pounding the table for Russell Wilson (a quarterback!) which we haven't had for eons it's just our luck that our coach at the time (Rex, I hate offense Ryan) and Tanny (I like this Hill kid who had 13 catches in college) are the swing votes! TANNY! A guy who picked a f*cking D2 Olineman out of Umass who can barely understand English in Vlad Ducasse & Rex Ryan, a guy who's never seen a defensive player he doesn't like & tells a plodding, half asser in Quinton Coples he's our man if he's there,lol.

like someone else posted. Seattle (Irvin, Wagner, Wilson), Jets (Coples, Hill, Davis). It's just so f*cking easy to just look at the horrible drafting by this organization to find us where we are at presently. Mac COMPLETELY LUCKED into Williams & Adams! A 3rd grader who follows the NFL could have made those picks using ESPNs draft magazine.

57 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You're joking but look at this--Hack is once again being subjected to an offense that holds him back where does the injustice end I ask u

IMG_0665.PNG

You have officially crossed the threshold of a delusional reach.

The essence of the article is NOT how Hackenberg is being hampered by a new system, it is how ALL the qbs are having to adjust to Morton's systems, and does not tell any tale of Hack being at a disadvantage.

Holy English Lit interpretation.

i think the observation that mccown hasn't looked any better than hackenberg so far is a big positive for hack.  mccown has every advantage during training camp, he knows the system, while hack is learning it from scratch.  these two months are when mccown should look way better than the other qbs.  and of course hack is holding onto the ball sometimes, the d-line has 3 studs and they're manhandling the o-line that doesn't even have mangold anymore.  and that's before any blitzing.  

there is huge pressure to play hackenberg.  i think the first 3 preseason games will 'sort itself out' as bowles says. if hack looks lost, he won't start the season.  if he looks close to mccown, they'll play hack.  bowles knows the deal, he knows his real fate is not tied to how the defense performs, it's how they develop offensive talent.  even having hack in there if he's inconsistent can help bowles if his arm strength allows the offense to showcase younger wrs/tes to make plays downfield.  i expect all the qbs to rely a lot on the rbs for short dumpoffs for a while, since the wrs are very inexperienced.  i also wouldn't be surprised if they wind up picking up a veteran wr who gets cut, since they could use someone who knows how to run routes right now.

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

You have officially crossed the threshold of a delusional reach.

The essence of the article is NOT how Hackenberg is being hampered by a new system, it is how ALL the qbs are having to adjust to Morton's systems, and does not tell any tale of Hack being at a disadvantage.

Holy English Lit interpretation.

I was making a joke about the media coverage, you ninny. 

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

And I truly believe that Petty would outplay McCown but he isn't getting the reps.  

It is clear to me that the team (ie. coaching staff) doesn't believe in Petty as the potential starter, but I still feel skill set wise he is a person of interest and should be given a real shot if Hack doesn't pan out

The idea that the Jets have Brooks Bolinger (injuries I know) a shot and not Petty is madness. 

A moment of silent observance please for Dan Leberfeld who is still both mad and sad about the Jets trading Bolly to the Vikings and never giving him a proper chance to shine.  That rant was truly one of the greatest "I am a complete douchenozzle" moments in sports journalism history.

27 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i think the observation that mccown hasn't looked any better than hackenberg so far is a big positive for hack.  mccown has every advantage during training camp, he knows the system, while hack is learning it from scratch.  these two months are when mccown should look way better than the other qbs.  and of course hack is holding onto the ball sometimes, the d-line has 3 studs and they're manhandling the o-line that doesn't even have mangold anymore.  and that's before any blitzing.  

there is huge pressure to play hackenberg.  i think the first 3 preseason games will 'sort itself out' as bowles says. if hack looks lost, he won't start the season.  if he looks close to mccown, they'll play hack.  bowles knows the deal, he knows his real fate is not tied to how the defense performs, it's how they develop offensive talent.  even having hack in there if he's inconsistent can help bowles if his arm strength allows the offense to showcase younger wrs/tes to make plays downfield.  i expect all the qbs to rely a lot on the rbs for short dumpoffs for a while, since the wrs are very inexperienced.  i also wouldn't be surprised if they wind up picking up a veteran wr who gets cut, since they could use someone who knows how to run routes right now.

We'll know next Saturday. 

FWIW 

The Way We Hear It: New York Jets' QB battle already over? One player believes so

•  
CLEVELAND, OH - AUGUST 18, 2016: Quarterback Josh McCown #13 of the Cleveland Browns throws a pass prior to a preseason game on August 18, 2016 against the Atlanta Falcons at FirstEnergy Stadium in Cleveland, Ohio. Atlanta won 24-13. (Photo by: 2016 Nick Cammett/Diamond Images) *** Local Caption *** Josh McCown

CLEVELAND, OH - AUGUST 18, 2016: Quarterback Josh McCown #13 of the Cleveland Browns throws a pass prior to a preseason game on August 18, 2016 against the Atlanta Falcons at FirstEnergy Stadium in Cleveland, Ohio. Atlanta won 24-13. (Photo by: 2016 Nick Cammett/Diamond Images) *** Local Caption *** Josh McCown

Much has been made about the New York Jets’ three-headed monster (scary indeed) of a quarterback battle in training camp. The starting job, it has been written, is open — and Josh McCown, Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty are in the running.

But one Jets offensive leader isn’t so sure there’s even anything up for grabs.

“In my mind, [McCown] won the job this spring,” a Jets player told PFW on the condition of anonymity. “He came in, acted like a leader, acted like it was his team. He took control right away. He looked steady, he’s been very good and he just looks the part, you know?”

The player said those words earlier this week, after the start of camp. So we should not dismiss the fact that Hackenberg has looked his strongest during full-team work and currently has a four-practice streak without an interception in those sessions.

In other drills, such as 7-on-7s, Hackenberg’s work has been less impressive and consistent. But the improvement for the former second-round pick — one who could not get on the field last season despite the Jets in full rebuild, with nothing to lose — must be noted. It’s just that he’s viewed until further notice as the possible backup once the season starts, barring a dramatic shift in events.

McCown has been good on the field, though hardly great, thus far. That’s worth nothing — it’s not as if the Jets have struck gold here with a 38-year-old QB who has 29 TDs, 24 INTs and a whopping 26 fumbles (14 lost) over the prior three seasons with the Cleveland Browns and Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

But even with the high turnover total, McCown — the player said — brings a sense of calm and leadership the other two younger quarterbacks have yet to develop. At this point, it would be a surprise if anyone but McCown was starting the Week 1 opener at the Buffalo Bills.

“We were joking with [McCown] during OTAs, calling him Luke [his brother’s name], and just connecting well. He was laughing and you just could tell that he got it,” the player said. “He’s a good dude and a hard worker, too. He even talks to the defensive guys, and the coaches seem to trust him.”

The biggest loser in this “battle,” however, is Petty. He has not fared as well and has seen his snaps diminish. That also could change, and the Jets coaches likely will want to see extended time from all three in training camp and preseason games, just to be sure on how they want to set the QB pecking order — or whether they even want to commit three quarterbacks to the roster if all they’re going to do is reset at the position next season.

It’s possible the Jets could be mining the waiver wire and free agency following roster cutdowns this year. Remember, the league changed its procedure, so rosters will reduce from 90 to 53 overnight following the preseason; there is no longer a 75-man roster in the middle anymore. (The Jets also have converted QB Jason Vander Laan, now a tight end, on the roster and could prep him as an emergency QB if they only keep, say, McCown and Hackenberg initially.)

The Jets’ quarterback situation is bad enough where fans already are printing up hunter green-and-white Sam Darnold jerseys to get ready for 2018. But at least there seems to be a bit more short-term clarity in what some are calling a competition but what appears to be a fait accompli.

13 hours ago, KRL said:

The "sacks" were because of coverage.  QB's had enough time but when no one was open they were

"sacked".  It goes back to what I saw the first couple of days of camp.  WR's had trouble with press

coverage.  I'm not going to debate the "mainstream media" when they aren't watching practice

That is the thing that absolutely continues to stun me. How few notes many of the main stream guys take. And how many plays they miss because they are talking or not paying attention. This isn't everyone in the MSM but a lot of them, wow. Then they give a report and their definitive opinion that is based on many things they didn't actually watch.

12 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Thanks KRL. I trust your reports and will miss them. In another week we'll get to see for ourselves in a game. In the meantime I'll wade through all the BS most of the media flings to get through to next week. I miss Hofstra so much.

@KRL did an incredible job. I really believe that his camp reports are better than anything the main stream media produces.

The good news is that Glenn @AFJF (it won't let me tag him for some reason) is on a plane right now. He will be at camp next week. And we also have Joe Blewett and Bobby Watson going as well. So we will have many more first hand camp reports!  Good news.

12 hours ago, kdels62 said:

"McCown looks like the starter," here's what I observed that backs up that claim.

I stated "Petty seems really well liked by teammates," and then I provided an observed interaction with players outside of his unit, and also other posters stated that they also have seen evidence of that claim. 

I stated that Ardarius Stewart looked lost. I stated situations where he looked lost, KRL said Stewart looked good in 1v1s, I state that I didn't watch that one portion of the practice. It's possible that Stewart could look good in 1v1s and poorly in team drills. 

Hack looked good during 7v7s but poor in team drills. It's weird how that can be true.

Thank you for giving updates from camp. The more information we have now the better. And the bottom line is we will find out about all these players for real soon enough.

It is possible for a player to look lost during one drill and shine during another. Especially early in camp for a rookie.

Hackenberg holding onto the ball too long and taking sacks during training camp doesn't bother me much when I know that he's protected from the defense while wearing that Red Jersey .  One of the 1st things John Morton preached to the Jets offensive players was ball security . The most important thing in a football game is the ball, because you need possession of it to score points . With a bunch of young receivers and QBs making mistakes, throwing the ball where a player is supposed to be and having that player be somewhere else will result in losing the ball . You have 2 options, take the potential sack by holding the ball or throw the ball away . 

Since the Red Jersey protects you in practice, why throw the ball away when you can practice throwing it to a receiver who might come open even if late .  That gives you a feel for the receiver and helps you work on your accuracy .  If this continues into the preseason games when there's no red Jersey and the ball needs to be thrown away, then I will worry . 

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Neither is necessarily right or wrong, they're just fans taking time to share what they experience with other fans. Conflicting info should be taken with a grain of salt, but neither should be disparaged for the unselfish act of trying to share.

This.

Thank you for posting that. So true.

The thing is, the preseason games are going to go a long way to naming a starter. If they want to give the edge to McCown and the stats are even in camp that is fine. But if any QB has a 2 INT game in limited preseason action that is going to tip the scales in a big way.

6 minutes ago, Maxman said:

@KRL did an incredible job. I really believe that his camp reports are better than anything the main stream media produces.

The good news is that Glenn @AFJF (it won't let me tag him for some reason) is on a plane right now. He will be at camp next week. And we also have Joe Blewett and Bobby Watson going as well. So we will have many more first hand camp reports!  Good news.

tumblr_static_ay5mr8zdzywc8kscg0co8s4s4_

I kid, I kid.... glad he was able to get a seat and get there.

30 minutes ago, JiF said:

FWIW 

The Way We Hear It: New York Jets' QB battle already over? One player believes so

•  

Much has been made about the New York Jets’ three-headed monster (scary indeed) of a quarterback battle in training camp. The starting job, it has been written, is open — and Josh McCown, Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty are in the running.

But one Jets offensive leader isn’t so sure there’s even anything up for grabs.

“In my mind, [McCown] won the job this spring,” a Jets player told PFW on the condition of anonymity. “He came in, acted like a leader, acted like it was his team. He took control right away. He looked steady, he’s been very good and he just looks the part, you know?”

The player said those words earlier this week, after the start of camp. So we should not dismiss the fact that Hackenberg has looked his strongest during full-team work and currently has a four-practice streak without an interception in those sessions.

In other drills, such as 7-on-7s, Hackenberg’s work has been less impressive and consistent. But the improvement for the former second-round pick — one who could not get on the field last season despite the Jets in full rebuild, with nothing to lose — must be noted. It’s just that he’s viewed until further notice as the possible backup once the season starts, barring a dramatic shift in events.

McCown has been good on the field, though hardly great, thus far. That’s worth nothing — it’s not as if the Jets have struck gold here with a 38-year-old QB who has 29 TDs, 24 INTs and a whopping 26 fumbles (14 lost) over the prior three seasons with the Cleveland Browns and Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

But even with the high turnover total, McCown — the player said — brings a sense of calm and leadership the other two younger quarterbacks have yet to develop. At this point, it would be a surprise if anyone but McCown was starting the Week 1 opener at the Buffalo Bills.

“We were joking with [McCown] during OTAs, calling him Luke [his brother’s name], and just connecting well. He was laughing and you just could tell that he got it,” the player said. “He’s a good dude and a hard worker, too. He even talks to the defensive guys, and the coaches seem to trust him.”

The biggest loser in this “battle,” however, is Petty. He has not fared as well and has seen his snaps diminish. That also could change, and the Jets coaches likely will want to see extended time from all three in training camp and preseason games, just to be sure on how they want to set the QB pecking order — or whether they even want to commit three quarterbacks to the roster if all they’re going to do is reset at the position next season.

It’s possible the Jets could be mining the waiver wire and free agency following roster cutdowns this year. Remember, the league changed its procedure, so rosters will reduce from 90 to 53 overnight following the preseason; there is no longer a 75-man roster in the middle anymore. (The Jets also have converted QB Jason Vander Laan, now a tight end, on the roster and could prep him as an emergency QB if they only keep, say, McCown and Hackenberg initially.)

The Jets’ quarterback situation is bad enough where fans already are printing up hunter green-and-white Sam Darnold jerseys to get ready for 2018. But at least there seems to be a bit more short-term clarity in what some are calling a competition but what appears to be a fait accompli.

This is not against you; but this is a crap article.  

He quotes a player before the start of camp and this a good barometer how?

I mean mismatch what was said here.  

How pray tell were Petty or Hack supposed to take over OTAs when they are learning a new system?

The article further implies that McCown's idiotic turnovers like Fitzpatrick's last year won't matter cause he is Captin of the "Love Boat" or something; when in point of fact it is my contention that Fitz horrific play put us into being considered for worst team in the NFL.  

The idea or implication that any sane person would cut Petty for McCown is what bothers me with the Jets. 

I say let's just watch and see and not listen to writers who only want to raise idiotic Jets fans' like me blood pressure to dangerously high levels!! ?

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

That is the thing that absolutely continues to stun me. How few notes many of the main stream guys take. And how many plays they miss because they are talking or not paying attention. This isn't everyone in the MSM but a lot of them, wow. Then they give a report and their definitive opinion that is based on many things they didn't actually watch.

Many of the MSM i.e. Cimini, Costello already have their agenda/narrative for this TC & season. Their daily writing reflects that. 

I still remember years ago when Jenny Vrentas was a Jets beat reporter and I was at TC. She was the only I saw consistently that was watching practice, moving around and taking note after note. 

Archived