Costello: The Job is McCown's

Bugg

21 minutes ago, bitonti said:

if we are talking about firing anyone, nothing Bowles has done was as bad as Mac's handling of the QB position. ALso his Devin Smith and Darron Lee picks were stinky. Bowles is doing the best he can with a garbage roster. meanwhile any Jets fan on this forum with a magazine could draft better than Mac 

How do you know who handled the QB position? It seemed to me Bowles was the one pushing to sign Fitzpatrick, With this power structure, nobody knows who the fk is making the calls.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, thadude said:

Bowles can't make adjustments.  When he does David Johnson runs for three touchdowns in 1 game because a 290lb DT is trying to play in space

You cant make an argument worth a damn

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

What's stopping Hack from playing well with the 2s? he's getting reps just not first team reps. in theory he could get the promotion if he deserved it. The question is what has he done with the 2's to deserve a promotion 

Today's practice he couldn't even break the huddle correctly 

http://brobible.com/sports/article/jets-qb-christian-hackenberg-huddle/

What is the point. You are stuck on a point that does not matter. McCown has not, ever earned a starting job. It would appear that Bowles is going to repeat last offseason, just instead of Fitz it's McCown. Hack may suck, so may Petty, but you can't say that McCown playing - in anyway - gives them the reps needed to see if they can play. 

Did you order your #15 jersey already? lol. smh... 

1 minute ago, NoBowles said:

Bowles makes around $4m per year, not $1m per year, that is a huge difference. Yes, QB is critical, but if coaches did not matter, they would make closer to $1m per year then $4m per year.

4mil is low for HC standards and 6mil is low for QB standards.  

Just now, NoBowles said:

How do you know who handled the QB position? It seemed to me Bowles was the one pushing to sign Fitzpatrick, With this power structure, nobody knows who the fk is making the calls.

According to basically every report Bowles had 0.0 to do with the offense.  Gailey made the call

1 minute ago, Stark said:

What is the point. You are stuck on a point that does not matter. McCown has not, ever earned a starting job. It would appear that Bowles is going to repeat last offseason, just instead of Fitz it's McCown. Hack may suck, so may Petty, but you can't say that McCown playing - in anyway - gives them the reps needed to see if they can play. 

Did you order your #15 jersey already? lol. smh... 

Hack, Petty and McCown - none of them will even be in the NFL next season

1 minute ago, thadude said:

He's not an NFL qb, not even backup quality

Nobody knows that at this point. Saying that you do is ridiculous. Regardless though, arms like his, even if he ends up being terrible will buy him many, many chances.

Just now, RSJ said:

Nobody knows that at this point. Saying that you do is ridiculous. Regardless though, arms like his, even if he ends up being terrible will buy him many, many chances.

Maybe it's just fans and beat reporters who don't know at this point.

5 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

agree, so my point still stands, if HC's don't matter, why are NFL owners paying them so much money??

Compared to a job at Best buy it's a lot of money. But by NFL salary standards, they are not paying HC that much money. 

The salary cap doesn't apply to coaches. If Coaches really made the difference between winning and losing there's nothing to stop an owner from giving a HC an Andrew Luck type of contract. 

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Compared to a job at Best buy it's a lot of money. But by NFL salary standards, they are not paying HC that much money. 

The salary cap doesn't apply to coaches. If Coaches really made the difference between winning and losing there's nothing to stop an owner from giving a HC an Andrew Luck type of contract. 

Your extremely naive to the complexity of the NFL. NFL HC's make more than most CEO's, and there is a good reason for that. 

1 hour ago, gEYno said:

This is a well reasoned argument.  I don't agree with it.  But, it's well reasoned.

We can all agree that physically, Hack and Petty are both far superior to McCown, no?  Also, we can agree that McCown, has no track record of winning, as he has only won 11 games in 11 seasons.  So, I don't see how, unless Hack and Petty are far inferior to McCown, it would be a hard sell to start a younger player with far more upside (physically for the short term, and obviously for the long term) to the locker room?  Again, maybe McCown does give us the best chance to win, but if our best chance to win is a guy who's won 11 games in 11 seasons, I don't see how that's not more of a testament to the other two guys than anything else?

What a football player  is physically, especially at the qb position is inconsequential. Mental make-up play a large factor as well.

To me, to have this discussion, before we have even had pre-season games makes the discussion and any supposed pre-determined decisions moot. Working off conjecture and what others tweet what they think is a poor way to operate, in my mind.

8 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Your extremely naive to the complexity of the NFL. NFL HC's make more than most CEO's, and there is a good reason for that. 

they don't make more than Quarterbacks or Cornerbacks or Defensive Ends or anyone really. 

they make more than Punters and Kickers. that's their significance. 

On 8/6/2017 at 1:44 PM, johnnysd said:

He has NOT been clearly better. And he sucks. If they start McClown its just a repeat of the mistakes of the last 2 years.

The idea that this guy is getting all the first team reps just tells me that nothing will ever change with this franchise.   

35 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Really? In week one the Jets switched from straight man coverage to zone and back more than a few times to help Revis.  Missed that?  They did the same from week to week to help the secondary.  Didnt help much because of the talent and injuries but they tried and their pass defense did get batter in the final 6 weeks or so.  But they didnt adjust according to fans. 

They moved Richardson around trying to help injured LB group.  Didnt help much but they switched up, doesnt count though.  Played with DL formation and substitutions, but dont count.  Dont know what else could be changed, its football, changes are usually small, schemes are hard to drastically change mid season, its why firing HCs during seasons are not the norm

I'm talking about adjusting to what the opposition is doing... which does not necessarily match up with playing people out of position because others are sucking or injured.  Bowles did not change things up (either on defense or on offense) to match what the opposition was doing.  What you describe is not "adjusting".  It's compensating. 

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

they don't make more than Quarterbacks or Cornerbacks or Defensive Ends or anyone really. 

they make more than Punters and Kickers. that's their significance. 

completely foolish perspective. There isn't a defensive end on the planet, in the history of defensive ends that the Pats owner would trade for Bellicheck.

Unless Hackenberg tragically becomes a double amputee before the season starts, there is no justifiable reason for McCown to be the starting QB over him. For those that say Hackenberg has to "earn' it, I say, why?  What did McCown do to earn it except go 2-20 over the last three years?  The young "prospect" should get the nod over the veteran journeyman every day of the week, especially on a rebuilding team. 

6 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I'm talking about adjusting to what the opposition is doing... which does not necessarily match up with playing people out of position because others are sucking or injured.  Bowles did not change things up (either on defense or on offense) to match what the opposition was doing.  What you describe is not "adjusting".  It's compensating. 

Well switching from man to zone to help Revis in game 1 vs the Bengals would qualify for starters.  He dialed back on the all out blitz due to poor play by the dbs.  Went from the leagues biggest blitzer to a much lower number due to the team.  Dont know what more he was supposed to do 

Im saying they switched defensive plans at half etc, there were moves made and lets be honest given rosters effect what you can or cant do.  

20 hours ago, Warfish said:

How does starting Hack over a generally near-equal McClown stop us from building a winning program?

How does starting Hack over a generally near-equal McClown equate to a bad decision?  

Please limit answers to non-touchy-feeling-players-crying-tears-emotions! answers, if you please. 

Define "deserve".  Did McClown "deserve" to be signed?  I would say his resume to-date would indicate a major "**** no he didn't" to that question.

So what harm does starting a near-equal Hack over McClown, who doesn't currently "deserve" to be on an NFL roster, much less be a starting QB, hurt the Jets going forward?

A professional journeyman loser, according to his resume.  He has less on-field success than any QB in recent Jets memory, and that's says something.  I'd rather play Geno Smith, if that tells you anything.

Neither has McClown.

I agree.  If he is generally equal to McClown, he wins the competition due to his youth and potential upside.  By his play being generally equal.  On the field.  

Putting placeholder loser journeyman in positions where the do nothing for the team long term and take snaps away from young players does.....what for us again?

Wow, I agree with everything you just posted; Okay who are you and what have you done with Warfish?   ;-)

If they are close, and they name McCown the starter, then I say Jet fans should boycott the games and find something better to do with their time.   I mean enough is enough with the weakkneed approach to building a team.  Again, if their play is close, they need to name Hackenberg the starter, period. 

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

If Hack and Petty can't legitimately beat out Josh "The worst starting QB in the NFL by far" McCown then the team has found out what it has:  Garbage. 

They can't start themselves. Sometimes you need a HC with some balls, who can see the potential and give them the opportunity.   We all know that McCown is Garbage.  We don't know what Hack or Petty is yet.  To say otherwise speaks to personal bias. 

I am sympathetic to starting the season starting McCown.  He will not last long, due to health and competence.

But it gives Hack more time and he can see the game being played on the field close up and learn a few things.  He can then come in, without any tape on him, and try to clean up the mess McCown leaves.  Even if Bowles wanted to start McCown 16 games, there is no way he makes it physically or successfully.

They need a PS QB.  Hopefully somebody frees up.  They will burn through at least 4 QBs next year, no question.

Bowles was not a good coach last year.  He relied too much on bad lazy assistants who had checked out, and he was not proactive enough.

I am liking the Jets drafts less and less.  By the end of this season, we will be able to do an interesting analysis of the players that Macc passed over during the last 3 years.  I think Bowles was very involved in the defensive picks made during that time.  We are not pawning Lee off on Macc alone.

If Claiborne holds up I think the Jets defense will be decent.  The Jets will hold teams to few points initially, but eventually the defense will tire out and lose the field position battle because the offense will be so bad.  Despite approving cutting Decker, I think they should try and find a FA WR who gets cut loose for cheaper.  How much did Decker sign for with TN?

Connor Hughes @Connor_J_Hughes  

Hackenberg completed four passes in a row in red zone, including nice 10-yard strike to Chris Gragg for a TD. #jets

NYJFTV‏ @NYJFTV  

Defense keeping McCown led offense out of the endzone #JetsCamp #Jets

1 hour ago, ChuckkieB said:

Unless Hackenberg tragically becomes a double amputee before the season starts, there is no justifiable reason for McCown to be the starting QB over him. For those that say Hackenberg has to "earn' it, I say, why?  What did McCown do to earn it except go 2-20 over the last three years?  The young "prospect" should get the nod over the veteran journeyman every day of the week, especially on a rebuilding team. 

I can't be the only one 'round these parts that knows, deep down in the gut, that in actuality all we're arguing about in regards to the QB carousel, is for which one of these three esteemed gentlemen will have the honor of distributing noxious farts at a machine-gun pace to our faces, as we hold out an empty plate to catch some newly manufactured QB feces from our very own "starter" as the clock hits 0:00 on a Sunday afternoon.

1 minute ago, glenn31 said:

I can't be the only one 'round these parts that knows, deep down in the gut, that in actuality all we're arguing about in regards to the QB carousel, is for which one of these three esteemed gentlemen will have the honor of distributing noxious farts at a machine-gun pace to our faces, as we hold out an empty plate to catch some newly manufactured QB feces from our very own "starter" as the clock hits 0:00 on a Sunday afternoon.

As long as it's Hackenberg delivering the noxious farts at a machine-gun pace, I'll be OK with that!

Archived