### Jets \ Lions -- Preseason Week Two, Game Thread ###

Maxman

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

This may be the lowest the franchise has been since Kotite. We have basically one good player and no prospect of getting appreciably better anytime soon.

Were in that 90s period right now. The team has stunk for some time. The time between the playoffs is pretty much 1970s level. The team just looks like they will get whipped out there. But what do you expect when  your thought process for turning the team around is to spend top picks on safeties and inside linebackers. 

1 minute ago, jason423 said:

Were in that 90s period right now. The team has stunk for some time. The time between the playoffs is pretty much 1970s level. The team just looks like they will get whipped out there. But what do you expect when  your thought process for turning the team around is to spend top picks on safeties and inside linebackers. 

It feels great on draft night when you get the consensus BPA, but then you realize 3 months later he plays Safety, and you have no QB, RB, OL, and you go, and double down in Rd 2 on another Safety, and then look at the talent on offense you left on the board, it's astonishing.

5 minutes ago, jason423 said:

Macc is so far over his head it's unbelievable.   He may be able to scout but he doesn't understand the draft.   the "rebuilding" teams all made moves down to stockpile 2018 picks and we picked a safety.   unfreakingbelieveable.   but at least we have an undersized inside LB with questionable off-field behavior, a high-school stud QB, and 2 safeties.   

51 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Out of curiosity, how would you grade Hack's play tonight.  Please give your review without making "no weapons" excuses, please.

Hack never even had a chance tonight.   The talent on the offense is so bad that we may never know if hack can play or not.   what we do definitively know is that Mike Maccagnan has assembled one of the worst offenses in the history of the modern NFL.   How can a team so void of talent on offense draft safeties in both the 1st and 2nd rd's of the draft when there were so many options available?      

when macc is fired after this season i will be surprised if he gets a job other than scout.   

So, I just finished watching the game on DVR and my observation is that if they continue to keep rolling Hackenberg out there, the team will quit before they get to Week One. He is non-functional and his teammates know it. I thought, based on his stat line from last week, that he may have improved enough to be a viable, if bad, starter for a bad team, but it's clear he's not even that. Giving him significant time moving forward would be an apocalyptic event for many, many careers.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Drinking tonight?  You're not making any sense and can't read a simple post, simple idea that any sane person would understand.  But still you're taking a out Geno when no one else is

Personal insults seem to be your goto when you have no argument. Which is often.

You're using the same argument that Geno defenders used. Turns out Geno sucked just like hackenberg does.

18 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

Hack never even had a chance tonight.   The talent on the offense is so bad that we may never know if hack can play or not.   what we do definitively know is that Mike Maccagnan has assembled one of the worst offenses in the history of the modern NFL.   How can a team so void of talent on offense draft safeties in both the 1st and 2nd rd's of the draft when there were so many options available?      

when macc is fired after this season i will be surprised if he gets a job other than scout.   

Groundhog-day.jpg

....just needs a fair chance....

....with weapons.....

....only fair thing is to start him in 2018......

It never ends.

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

So, I just finished watching the game on DVR and my observation is that if they continue to keep rolling Hackenberg out there, the team will quit before they get to Week One. He is non-functional and his teammates know it. I thought, based on his stat line from last week, that he may have improved enough to be a viable, if bad, starter for a bad team, but it's clear he's not even that. Giving him significant time moving forward would be an apocalyptic event for many, many careers.

all those tools tho

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

Why would they , they know Smith is not their longterm answer at QB. They have to see what Mahomes can amount to just like the Jets need to do with Hack.

If the Chiefs has a strong #1 QB and had a massive hole at safety like the Jets did , then yes they would make that trade. 

I think Adams will be a very good player, but there is no way the Chiefs do any deal around Adams for Mahomes. They would not do Adams, Next years #1 and Hack. There is no reasonable deal they would consider for any player on the roster for Mahomes.

DETROIT — The Jets still haven’t settled on starters at left tackle, center and right tackle, and the tinkering continued in Saturday night’s game against the Lions. 

The Jets went with Jonotthan Harrison at center, Ben Ijalana at left tackle and Brandon Shell at right tackle for the first three series. Those three have been working primarily with the second team during practice, but the Jets wanted to get a better look to see how they fared against the Lions’ starters. It didn’t go well; the Jets didn’t get a first down on any of their first three drives. 

Presumptive starters Wesley Johnson at center, Kelvin Beachum at left tackle and Brent Qvale at right tackle took over on the fourth drive. Incumbent guards James Carpenter and Brian Winters started and stayed in the game after the changes at tackle and center.

Via Newsday.com: 

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/harrison-ijalana-shell-get-a-look-as-starters-on-o-line-1.14077360 

4 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Personal insults seem to be your goto when you have no argument. Which is often.

You're using the same argument that Geno defenders used. Turns out Geno sucked just like hackenberg does.

Not a personal insult.  

I have a better argument, if thats what you want to call it, than whatever your point is.  You obsess over Geno, accuse me of defending him, how or where, who knows, then after totally get lost claim youve been personally insulted?

Copy and paste that insult.   

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Groundhog-day.jpg

....with weapons.....

It never ends.

You NEVER gave Sanchez a FAIR CHANCE; NEVER!!!!!

Just wanted to give some contextualization to your post... :) 

5 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

I think Adams will be a very good player, but there is no way the Chiefs do any deal around Adams for Mahomes. They would not do Adams, Next years #1 and Hack. There is no reasonable deal they would consider for any player on the roster for Mahomes.

Adams is about to experience a special kind of hell this year if he thinks he can freelance like he did at LSU. His offense is going to be putrid and guys like Brady are going to go buck-wild on our two young safeties with play-action. 

30 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

True. And even if you luck into Darnold or Rosen, how do you help things with no OL and not much skill outside of Robbie Anderson and...I dunno. Cowboys succeeded with Elliott and Prescott because they have a beast OL, a solid TE and Dez Bryant in place already. The Jets' plan is they are suddenly going to stArt picking offensive players in 2018? So at best your entire offense will be figuring out how to play in the NFL. SAFETIES, MAN!

46 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

It feels great on draft night when you get the consensus BPA, but then you realize 3 months later he plays Safety, and you have no QB, RB, OL, and you go, and double down in Rd 2 on another Safety, and then look at the talent on offense you left on the board, it's astonishing.

Simply defenders in 2017 are not as valuable as the rules are enforced as are offensive players.And that's double for safeties. 

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Not a personal insult.  

I have a better argument, if thats what you want to call it, than whatever your point is.  You obsess over Geno, accuse me of defending him, how or where, who knows, then after totally get lost claim youve been personally insulted?

Copy and paste that insult.   

Your argument is terrible. You've been wrong every steps of the way with hack and rely on the same excuse that was there for Geno that if you read this thread has several other people pointing out this fact that it's the same story all over again "Can't judge hack because..."

Hack sucks. If you and macc could accept that, the Jets might be able to find a QB. I'm sorry you don't get the correlation between Geno defenders and hack defenders. 

3 minutes ago, Bugg said:

True. And even if you luck into Darnold or Rosen, how do you help things with no OL and not much skill outside of Robbie Anderson and...I dunno. Cowboys succeeded with Elliott and Prescott because they have a beast OL, a solid TE and Dez Bryant in place already. The Jets' plan is they are suddenly going to stArt picking offensive players in 2018? So at best your entire offense will be figuring out how to play in the NFL. SAFETIES, MAN!

this is what makes me most mad.  It's one thing to build for the future by trading down and stockpiling picks in '18.   it's only the jets that pick safeties and DL with top 10 picks and wonder why there is not talent at the premium positions.  

No matter what Hack is starting this year and starting early. No way McCown survives the Raiders game in week 2 behind this line.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

23 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Groundhog-day.jpg

....with weapons.....

It never ends.

I don't know what animal that even is but you totally missed the point of the post.   it had nothing to do with hackenburg and everything to do with maccagnan.   next time i will be sure to post the remedial version just for warfish and the rest of the kids on the short bus.  

Also remembers back around the time Winters re-signed when the special contingent on this board was saying how good this OL was gonna be...then in mini-camp and training camp they've been telling us how good hack will be...seems to be a pattern. 

A veteran receiver would be really nice. A guy who can help the younger guys and remain calm when things are going wrong. A guy like Eric Decker...but hey...cap space!

4 minutes ago, RSJ said:

No matter what Hack is starting this year and starting early. No way McCown survives the Raiders game in week 2 behind this line.

If I'm Maccagnan, I try to save a little bit of face by trading Hack to Houston or whatever team wants to fork over a fake-conditional pick, then sign whatever QB the Packers end up dumping.

If I'm Maccagnan, I try to save a little bit of face by trading Hack to Houston or whatever team wants to fork over a fake-conditional pick, then sign whatever QB the Packers end up dumping.

I wish it made a difference. No one is moving the ball with a 50 year old Matt forte running behind a Wesley Johnson led offensive line. Just not happening.

19 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

How did they look at his college tape, work him out, interview him, talk to people around him, and STILL draft him? 

The Hackenberg pick was and is indefensible, but this year might be worse. I can see falling in love with Hackenberg's tools, getting a reference from O'Brien, etc., but not adding another young guy to the QB room is mind-boggling. I'm not even talking about Watson/Mahomes/Kizer; I'm talking about an arm that can offer even a modicum of competition at the back end of the roster. C.J. Beathard was drafted in the third round, is actually (not "basically" or "essentially" or whatever the ****) a rookie, and was playing with the 2nd and 3rd string of one of the few teams worse than the Jets, and he showed more poise and command of the offense tonight than Hackenberg has shown at any point in his miserable squirrel-handed life.

8 minutes ago, RSJ said:

I wish it made a difference. No one is moving the ball with a 50 year old Matt forte running behind a Wesley Johnson led offensive line. Just not happening.

True, but if they can't play Hackenberg (and it doesn't seem like they can), then keeping him around is like hanging on to pure, undiluted evidence of organizational incompetence. They gotta sweep it under the rug and hope people forget.

9 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

The Hackenberg pick was and is indefensible, but this year might be worse. I can see falling in love with Hackenberg's tools, getting a reference from O'Brien, etc., but not adding another young guy to the QB room is mind-boggling. I'm not even talking about Watson/Mahomes/Kizer; I'm talking about an arm that can offer even a modicum of competition at the back end of the roster. C.J. Beathard was drafted in the third round, is actually (not "basically" or "essentially" or whatever the ****) a rookie, and was playing with the 2nd and 3rd string of one of the few teams worse than the Jets, and he showed more poise and command of the offense tonight than Hackenberg has shown at any point in his miserable squirrel-handed life.

Two safeties. It's malfeasance 

48 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Groundhog-day.jpg

....with weapons.....

It never ends.

What's your solution? Continue to strive for mediocrity?

I give Bowles credit for tonight. He did the right thing, and then he defended the QB and refused to name McCown starter. Maybe the light is coming on for Bowles a little bit. The offensive line is better with Wesley Johnson, either because of play or making protection adjustments. We cannot run with this line. We need to pass. A lot. With any of the QBs.

So what would you like them to do?

22 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

The Hack pick is NOT indefensible. It's one game. However, the double safety with so many great offensive players on the board is really bad, even if they both become pro bowlers.

I think we would have picked Trubisky, but should have taken Mahomes, Watson or Peterman. And never signed McClown.

The Jets are still doing the right thing, there will just be some brutal moments. There is talent on this team

Archived