Baker Mayfield

DoubleU

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Some fantasy football show was highlighting Alex Smith and they replayed his four TDs against the Jets last week. Unreal how far open the receivers were on each of them. Unreal that we dropped two high picks on safeties and any QB can still get anything he wants in the middle of the field 

"Rookies". 

Both guys have flashed some great talent, and lets face it, they're both enormous upgrades over our safety tandem the last couple seasons....and they're rookies. This is basically the floor for these guys. 3 years from now they could possibly be top 5 safety tandem in the NFL. The talent potential is most definitely there. 

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

"Rookies". 

Both guys have flashed some great talent, and lets face it, they're both enormous upgrades over our safety tandem the last couple seasons....and they're rookies. This is basically the floor for these guys. 3 years from now they could possibly be top 5 safety tandem in the NFL. The talent potential is most definitely there. 

I like Maye a lot more than I like Adams. Adams doesn’t appear to play the pass well at all—like, Marcus Gilchrist bad in that aspect. If they spent the sixth overall on a strong safety whose strength is running up and tackling RBs, it’s a god awful pick. 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I like Maye a lot more than I like Adams. Adams doesn’t appear to play the pass well at all—like, Marcus Gilchrist bad in that aspect. If they spent the sixth overall on a strong safety whose strength is running up and tackling RBs, it’s a god awful pick. 

I agree, Maye is making alot of us change our view on that 2nd round pick. However, Adams is not just playing safety. he's playing Safety, Corner and LB. The kid is special. 

12 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I agree, Maye is making alot of us change our view on that 2nd round pick. However, Adams is not just playing safety. he's playing Safety, Corner and LB. The kid is special. 

Name one “special” play that Adams has made this year. I think it’s a mistake to expect some linear progress from what Adams is now to Adams becoming Ed Reed. If you’re pumped about him because he’s aggressive and likes football and dances after every play, cool. But you get a guy like that in the fourth round.

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Name one “special” play that Adams has made this year.

He made a "special" pass breakup against the Dolphins earlier this year. It required physical ability and instincts to make the play...only special players could have made the play. Look at the amount of ground he had to cover at full speed yet at the same time having to meet the ball at it's highest point. Thats "special" my friend. 

19 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Name one “special” play that Adams has made this year. I think it’s a mistake to expect some linear progress from what Adams is now to Adams becoming Ed Reed. If you’re pumped about him because he’s aggressive and likes football and dances after every play, cool. But you get a guy like that in the fourth round.

Adams could become Reed only if he has D Reed had and the O to go with, Jets are so far from that situation. Rex was working towards that formula.

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

He made a "special" pass breakup against the Dolphins earlier this year. It required physical ability and instincts to make the play...only special players could have made the play. Look at the amount of ground he had to cover at full speed yet at the same time having to meet the ball at it's highest point. Thats "special" my friend. 

A PBU months ago is a pretty low bar, but I did only ask for one play. ?

Just now, T0mShane said:

A PBU months ago is a pretty low bar, but I did only ask for one play. ?

Was I supposed to present one to you that he did last week? You asked for "one" special play as if he didnt have "one". He does. 

Maye imo is having a better season, but none of us would have taken Maye over Adams, and none of us (maybe 1 person) even thought Maye was a 1st round level talent. We got tremendous value with Maye in comparison, especially since it's a conversation that he could be having a better season in comparison. However, when I say that Adams is special it comes with his ability to be versatile on the football field, something that we havent really seen from Maye. Im not saying Maye cant do it, im saying we havent seen it. Adams is a versatile chip and though I wanted an offensive player I still think that he was worth the pick and down the line I think he could be a year after year probowler...maybe even all pro if he puts it all together. 

The kid is special Tom. Bare minimum we should be able to agree on that. You know football and you know talent when you see it. The kid is talented, but he's a rookie. 

Back to the QBs, we’re not getting a QB in RD1.  Darnold and Rosen are completely out of reach and with Denver tanking and currently picking 4th, Mayfield appears to be the likeliest prospect for them.  

And if Macc picks Allen anywhere in this draft, he has to go.  I understand people keep predicting him to go in the first round, no one believes this kid can play right now.  If he is going to make it, and I in no way believe he will amount to anything more than Hack’s current level, he will need to sit behind a legit starting QB for several years.

We are not that situation.

What should happen, we draft Stidham, Ferguson, or even Mike White later in the draft after resigning   McCown to a 2 year deal where year two he is paid like a back up ($4M).

What could happen is they go after Cousins and go all in on draft day finding an edge rusher, legit CB2, OT, And C.

What I think will happen because to my knowledge Macc hasn’t scouted any other QB other than Darnold, Rosen, and Allen, we resign McCown and don’t draft a QB at all.  And go into 2018 with the three stooges we have now.

6 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Back to the QBs, we’re not getting a QB in RD1.  Darnold and Rosen are completely out of reach and with Denver tanking and currently picking 4th, Mayfield appears to be the likeliest prospect for them.  

And if Macc picks Allen anywhere in this draft, he has to go.  I understand people keep predicting him to go in the first round, no one believes this kid can play right now.  If he is going to make it, and I in no way believe he will amount to anything more than Hack’s current level, he will need to sit behind a legit starting QB for several years.

What should happen, we draft Stidham, Ferguson, or even Mike White later in the draft after resigning   McCown to a 2 year deal where year two he is paid like a back up ($4M).

What could happen is they go after Cousins and go all in on draft day finding an edge rusher, legit CB2, OT, And C.

What I think will happen because to my knowledge Macc hasn’t scouted any other QB other than Darnold, Rosen, and Allen, we resign McCown and don’t draft a QB at all.  And go into 2018 with the three stooges we have now.

Well, that's depressing.  Plausible, but depressing.

36 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He almost picked Smith on 2nd down at the end of last weeks game. Hopefully he starts holding on to them. I have no idea how Kelce & Hill got wide open 4 times but we can't keep blaming these WIDE OPEN connections on the players, over & over and over again. Something tells me guys like Patricia, Schwartz, Zimmer figure it out & fix it. It's one of my pet peeves regarding Rogers & Bowles, seeing these breakdowns in coverage way too much. Just seems these guys don't do enough homework on their opponents & that's why it gets repeated. It's like Miami, losing to a backup, while up 2 touch downs is unforgivable. It's like they've never seen the Gase offense before? It's not like Gase changed his entire offense in 1 quarter. Even if an offense sputters up 2 touchdowns, unless your playing Tom Brady or Aaron Rogers, you shouldn't be giving up a 2 touchdown lead to Matt Moore. 

14 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Was I supposed to present one to you that he did last week? You asked for "one" special play as if he didnt have "one". He does. 

Maye imo is having a better season, but none of us would have taken Maye over Adams, and none of us (maybe 1 person) even thought Maye was a 1st round level talent. We got tremendous value with Maye in comparison, especially since it's a conversation that he could be having a better season in comparison. However, when I say that Adams is special it comes with his ability to be versatile on the football field, something that we havent really seen from Maye. Im not saying Maye cant do it, im saying we havent seen it. Adams is a versatile chip and though I wanted an offensive player I still think that he was worth the pick and down the line I think he could be a year after year probowler...maybe even all pro if he puts it all together. 

The kid is special Tom. Bare minimum we should be able to agree on that. You know football and you know talent when you see it. The kid is talented, but he's a rookie. 

I’m just not that high on Adams, mostly because of the cost to value. I think what you see is what you get, and what you get you could have gotten later in the draft. Adams isn’t versatile. Versatility implies that he can do a lot of things well. He plays the pass terribly, IMO, and he doesn’t turn the ball over. He’s not big, he’s not particularly fast, and he seems to think he’s a lot better than he is. And he was the sixth overall pick. Dudes like this start falling apart really quick, to boot. 

5 minutes ago, Jetster said:

He almost picked Smith on 2nd down at the end of last weeks game. Hopefully he starts holding on to them. I have no idea how Kelce & Hill got wide open 4 times but we can't keep blaming these WIDE OPEN connections on the players, over & over and over again. Something tells me guys like Patricia, Schwartz, Zimmer figure it out & fix it. It's one of my pet peeves regarding Rogers & Bowles, seeing these breakdowns in coverage way too much. Just seems these guys don't do enough homework on their opponents & that's why it gets repeated. It's like Miami, losing to a backup, while up 2 touch downs is unforgivable. It's like they've never seen the Gase offense before? It's not like Gase changed his entire offense in 1 quarter. Even if an offense sputters up 2 touchdowns, unless your playing Tom Brady or Aaron Rogers, you shouldn't be giving up a 2 touchdown lead to Matt Moore. 

I agree, it’s weird that these types of plays get repeated in-game. QBs get to go back to the same well too often against this defense, and they don’t seem particularly confused by much of what they’re seeing when they do it.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’m just not that high on Adams, mostly because of the cost to value. I think what you see is what you get, and what you get you could have gotten later in the draft. Adams isn’t versatile. Versatility implies that he can do a lot of things well. He plays the pass terribly, IMO, and he doesn’t turn the ball over. He’s not big, he’s not particularly fast, and he seems to think he’s a lot better than he is. And he was the sixth overall pick. Dudes like this start falling apart really quick, to boot. 

We'll pick this up in year 3. 

15 minutes ago, Pcola said:

I think that’s the most likely scenario, and one that Macc and Bowles are incredibly comfortable with. Drafting another QB hurts both of their careers: with Bowles because he clearly wants no part of playing a young QB, and with Macc because it becomes a further indictment of the Hack pick. At the beginning of the season, I’d have bet money that the Jets 2018 first rounder is a CB. At this point, I’d double that bet.

9 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Exactly right. Only thing I fear is the Bills jumping us for Mayfield once Rosen/Darnold go.(if Sam even enters..if not..sh*t just got a lot harder) They are known for being aggressive(Sammy Watkins/EJ Manuel trade ups) and they have so much ammo. I’m legit scared of Buffalo. A handful of teams could do it as well...that’s why it makes sense for Mac to figure out if he is going QB in FA or Draft..if it’s the draft then he really needs to strike a trade early and unexpectedly if we want a shot at one of these three. No other way around it.

I lived in Buffalo went to school there and the Bills are the second team I follow after the Jets and you couldn’t be more right with this!!!

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

As the great Bill Parcells once said, “If they don’t bite when they’re pups, they’re never gonna bite.” ?

Could be, or it could just be that you're not high on him to the point of asking if he even has special play's.

You're making it sound like he's been playimg like some sort of bust. He's had an overall solid season for a rookie.

At this point it looks as though Mayfield will be long gone by the time we pick. Sucks but it is what it is. I fully expect McCown to be the starter next year and he will want starters money. Anyone with the illusion that he will sign for less is kidding themselves. I can't blame the guy though. He is up there in age as we all know and has been a career backup making no money. It's amazing to me how history repeats itself with this team. McCown is sh*tzpatrick all over again. Sure he's a good guy and everyone likes him but he is a career back-up having the season of his life and is not likely to repeat it. If he does its all well and good but it was one thing to pay him 6-8 mil for it and quite another to pay him 15-17 mil for it.

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

Could be, or it could just be that you're not high on him to the point of asking if he even has special play's.

You're making it sound like he's been playimg like some sort of bust. He's had an overall solid season for a rookie.

No, no, no. Not a bust in that he sucks. He’s a guy who will play ten years and start for most of those. But I don’t think he’ll ever be worth the sixth pick, and he’ll only be mentioned down the line when writers list the players taken before Deshaun Watson. That’s Jets luck.

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

As the great Bill Parcells once said, “If they don’t bite when they’re pups, they’re never gonna bite.” ?

There is really no sin in getting beat by Gronk, who will definitely be remembered as the baddest Tight End in the Valley. He is literally unstoppable unless you hang on him like White did last week. The replays were hilarious, I mean White grabbed him, pulled him, pushed him, I was saying "no way in hell Buster Skrine gets away with that", lol.

Kelce is just a huge WR, so I have no idea what was asked of Adams regarding coverage but I would think he was playing close to the line to number one, keep Hunt from killing us. If Hunt goes off you'd never beat that Chiefs team. I personally think Adams isn't close to his ceiling as he's known for his film study. I think that's what takes NFL players to another level, dedication. Ray Lewis was a murderer but he also was a guy that was a student of the game & learned like I believe Adams will, how to put yourself in the best position to make plays, which more than makes up for speed. Many speedy defenders who fail in the NFL.

11 hours ago, BigO said:

Who cares. They’ve been fairly competitive this year in this watered down league - and that’s with an aging relic at QB.  It’s time for Mac to make a stand and secure a future QB. Mac wanted to save face this year, fine, he did it. Now it’s time to pay the price for these meaningless wins and what will still amount to a losing season in more than way. If he has to surrender his first 4 picks then DO IT.  Hack was his biggest mistake thus far. He can’t sit back pretty and start McClown next year w/o a rook taking over 3-4 games into the season.  If he doesn’t act now and get one of the top QB’s in this draft, Mac and this team is screwed for years to come.  It will be another year of meaningless wins and falling back in the draft with no chance to secure a franchise QB.

Thank you !!!

This is what I said last year and some folks acted like I was insane!

Every year you fail to act to draft or acquire a competent QB it can set you back 3 to 5 years why?

Becuae getting and properly developing a QB is not like going to the store and buying a loaf of bread.  

You have to select someone and then groom them and develop them. 

Think the Jets have failed at this for over a decade now and the current regime based upon their behavior doesn’t have anyone that they believe in on the roster.   And they have doing this now for three years ........ 

Saying that they think that McCown is going to win them a SB when he hasn’t had a winning season after 16 years in the NFL is utter maddens, but it is the logic that that they used to sign Fitzpatrick a second time so you never know; but if they do the whole crew should rightly be fired if they don’t get a young gun in here that they believe in  

2 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you !!!

This is what I said last year and some folks acted like I was insane!

Every year you fail to act to draft or acquire a competent QB it can set you back 3 to 5 years why?

Becuae getting and properly developing a QB is not like going to the store and buying a loaf of bread.  

You have select someone and then groom them and develop them  Think the Jets have failed at this for over a decade now and the current regime based upon their behavior doesn’t have anyone that they believe in on the roster.   And they have doing this now for three years  

Saying that they think that McCown is going to win then a SB when he hasn’t had a winning season after 16 years in the NFL is utter maddens but it is the logic that that they used to sign Fitzpatrick a second time so you never know; but if they do the whole crew should rightly be fired if they don’t get a young gun in here that they believe in  

Ironically, you can track Petty’s improvements and see his popularity in the locker room by just skimming through articles throughout the season. And yet here we are without any idea of what that improvement entails.

Hack is a lost cause. His year 2 preseason looked worse that “developmental rookie” Petty’s first year.

8 minutes ago, Jetster said:

There is really no sin in getting beat by Gronk, who will definitely be remembered as the baddest Tight End in the Valley. He is literally unstoppable unless you hang on him like White did last week. The replays were hilarious, I mean White grabbed him, pulled him, pushed him, I was saying "no way in hell Buster Skrine gets away with that", lol.

Kelce is just a huge WR, so I have no idea what was asked of Adams regarding coverage but I would think he was playing close to the line to number one, keep Hunt from killing us. If Hunt goes off you'd never beat that Chiefs team. I personally think Adams isn't close to his ceiling as he's known for his film study. I think that's what takes NFL players to another level, dedication. Ray Lewis was a murderer but he also was a guy that was a student of the game & learned like I believe Adams will, how to put yourself in the best position to make plays, which more than makes up for speed. Many speedy defenders who fail in the NFL.

Yeah,  it my thing is that this is what Adams was advertised as, it’s what comprises every one of those silly highlight YouTube videos, and every scouting report on him. I think it’s fool’s gold to expect him to become a good pass defender when he’s never really been that. 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Some fantasy football show was highlighting Alex Smith and they replayed his four TDs against the Jets last week. Unreal how far open the receivers were on each of them. Unreal that we dropped two high picks on safeties and any QB can still get anything he wants in the middle of the field 

Unreal how you turned that into any QB, anytime.  Maye is still one of the least targeted safeties in football. For a rookie that is impressive. 

Adams is hated because he isn't Watson. 

It's so lame how you trolls invented the "shut down safety" standard to hate on the kid.

11 minutes ago, Larz said:

Unreal how you turned that into any QB, anytime.  Maye is still one of the least targeted safeties in football. For a rookie that is impressive. 

Adams is hated because he isn't Watson. 

It's so lame how you trolls invented the "shut down safety" standard to hate on the kid.

Larz, you are a shutdown poster.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I think that’s the most likely scenario, and one that Macc and Bowles are incredibly comfortable with. Drafting another QB hurts both of their careers: with Bowles because he clearly wants no part of playing a young QB, and with Macc because it becomes a further indictment of the Hack pick. At the beginning of the season, I’d have bet money that the Jets 2018 first rounder is a CB. At this point, I’d double that bet.

As much as I HATE to agree with you on any topic whatsoever I think you may actually be right since it doesnt appear that they will just let go of the 2 QB's they have been stashing on the roster for at least 2 years, they didnt want to trade them (there was no value anyway) and the optics of cutting them now and starting all over would be horrible. Not to mention that we actually do need a CB so it would be both a value and a need pick. hahahahahaha

I was originally hoping for Rosen but since that is a crack pipe dream now I'd be happy with Mayfield or Stidham. Leaning towards Stidham more and more......Of course, I haven't seen many reports of Mac or his team scouting him though. So much for a young QB with real potential this year it seems. 

After 47 years of being let down by this team you would think I would be used to this feeling of less than enthusiastic pessimism regarding the draft. Although despite a sh*tty record I am still feeling better than this time last year when the losses were flat out  EMBARRASSING.  

1 hour ago, JetFaninMI said:

At this point it looks as though Mayfield will be long gone by the time we pick. Sucks but it is what it is. I fully expect McCown to be the starter next year and he will want starters money. Anyone with the illusion that he will sign for less is kidding themselves. I can't blame the guy though. He is up there in age as we all know and has been a career backup making no money. It's amazing to me how history repeats itself with this team. McCown is sh*tzpatrick all over again. Sure he's a good guy and everyone likes him but he is a career back-up having the season of his life and is not likely to repeat it. If he does its all well and good but it was one thing to pay him 6-8 mil for it and quite another to pay him 15-17 mil for it.

I dont give a shyt how good he has played this year I ******* swear if they give this asswipe, has been 15 mil for next year I will go to every home game take a shyt in my pants and not wipe my ass in protest.

47 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah,  it my thing is that this is what Adams was advertised as, it’s what comprises every one of those silly highlight YouTube videos, and every scouting report on him. I think it’s fool’s gold to expect him to become a good pass defender when he’s never really been that. 

If he becomes a 10 year starter & not Gholston its all good. Who knows what Deshaun Watson ends up being? Don't forget that Houston team almost beat the Pats last year in Gillette (they are pretty good) & he was throwing to Hopkins & Fuller! Hopkins is arguably right now the best WR in football! Look at Dak, doesn't look so good when his line breaks down & without Zeke.

Everything hinges on this offseason between Veteran QBs & the draft there might be some crazy sh*t developing. Cousins- Keenum- Eli- Smith- Bridgewater- Brees- Tannyhill- Brissett - Taylor, who knows whats gonna happen? Then quite a lot of QBs in this draft Darnold-Rosen-Mayfield-Allen- Jackson- Stidham & a few more.

Dan Snyders a nut, watch him say f*ck it with Cousins & trade up for Darnold or Rosen in some crazy fashion. Snyder can't stand that Philly has Wentz cheap & now the Giants are in line for a QB. Wouldn't shock me at all if he did everything he can to get past the Giants. Bills are getting a QB, no one has the ammo they do to move up. It would be absolutely wild to see a player like Jackson slip down to us, what does Macc do? 

I just keep believing that EVENTUALLY the Jets just get lucky. We are DUE. But the 2018 draft is gonna be wild, unless of course we've already signed Cousins. If that's the case lets hope we're trading back for more picks if possible.

10 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

I dont give a shyt how good he has played this year I ******* swear if they give this asswipe, has been 15 mil for next year I will go to every home game take a shyt in my pants and not wipe my ass in protest.

What section do you sit in?

Asking for a friend.

14 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

Is this you the guy who pissed his pants? 

Image result for jets fan piss pants pics

I think we wait until the end of the season to see which QBs declare. If Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield all come out and we have a similar grade on all of them then we should make a trade up for #3. If the team holding the #3 pick doesn't want to give up that pick (Denver) then I think we should go all in on Kirk Cousins. If we lose out on him and those 3 QBs go 1/2/3 then I'm more than fine selecting the best Pass Rusher or LT that falls to us.

I think we sign a CB in FA along with retaining Claiborne. Only way I see us taking a CB round 1 is if there is no QB or EGDE Rusher we deem worthy of that pick. Today is a big game for us draft position wise. We just got to hope Denver doesn't wind up with the #3 pick.

Archived