Mac and qbs

kevinc855

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

The Jets are not picking a QB at pick 8-11 (where they will pick not 6-8) unless they trade up to one of the top 2 picks, or the 3rd pick should Lamar Jackson emerge as the true elite QB prospect some scouts believe he will be when all the offseason stuff leading up to the draft are completed.  After those 3 there is Josh Allen who will probably get overdrafted around 12-15, and I pray I’m right, and it’s not the Jets setting the franchise back 5+ more years wasting that pick on Allen, then there is Baker Mayfield who IMO is a 3rd round project who will ultimately have a similar career as Landry Jones the back up QB for the Steelers except he will be an attention whoring douche, BUT some stupid team will pick him right around where some stupid team picked Paxton Lynch 20ish.

Everyone who wants the Jets to pick a QB in the 1st round you better hope the Browns for some stupid reason are willing to trade out of the #1 pick again, and the Jets offer the best package no matter the cost otherwise start getting used to the idea of the Jets picking another DT, or CB with pick 8-11.

mac will always go with the guy with the highest grade in round 1 for fear of busting, which is why he won't take a qb there.  the best qb scenario is that mason rudolph falls in round 2 or else the starter next year will be alex smith with another 4th rounder backing him up.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Again, what were your expectations? He was a 4th round pick from an offense that asked him to literally do zero processing of defenses or anything NFL QBs have to do.  He was a complete project, even more than Hackenburg.  If you thought he might be a starting level QB someday, then that's on you.  

Sounds like your describing Baker Mayfield also not just Bryce Petty.  So I don’t see why people think because Mayfield can run around in a circle because he has the best O-line in college, and all day to throw that he finds it fun to run around, or maybe it’s because he needs to run around so he can find a throwing lane because he can’t see over the OL, and DL not sure is any less of a project, oh yeah because there was those times he planted a flag at the 50 after a win, and grabbed his crouch, and yelled obscene gestures to the opposing side line after a score because that makes him a better prospect gotta love overreacting uneducated fans, and media.

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Sounds like your describing Baker Mayfield also not just Bryce Petty.  So I don’t see why people think because Mayfield can run around in a circle because he has the best O-line in college, and all day to throw that he finds it fun to run around, or maybe it’s because he needs to run around so he can find a throwing lane because he can’t see over the OL, and DL not sure is any less of a project, oh yeah because there was those times he planted a flag at the 50 after a win, and grabbed his crouch, and yelled obscene gestures to the opposing side line after a score because that makes him a better prospect gotta love overreacting uneducated fans, and media.

That would be an outstanding point if Oklahoma's offense didn't run a ton of pro style passing concepts and Baylor's ran essentially none.

15 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

I’m curious to know is everyone confident he will pick that right one. We will prob pick 6-8 which means we won’t get the top 2. This guys has totally whiffed on petty and hack. Why do we trust him with this very big upcoming qb pick? To me it’s cousins or bust. 

Qb's in draft are a gamble. I don't know that I trust him to select the "right" QB, but I know I sure as hell don't trust BOWLES to get any QB developed.  Bowles is the bigger issue IMO.

15 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

I’m curious to know is everyone confident he will pick that right one.

I'm not even confident we'll pick one, at all.

I'm certainly not confident we'll pick "the right one".

Nor am I confidant that even if we picked the next Joe Montana, that Bowles would ever let the kid see the field.  

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

mac will always go with the guy with the highest grade in round 1 for fear of busting, which is why he won't take a qb there.  the best qb scenario is that mason rudolph falls in round 2 or else the starter next year will be alex smith with another 4th rounder backing him up.

Mac and Bowles both are way too conservative for my taste. This is 100% true. Mac will take no chances with his high picks. This is why he's taken a DT and S at #6 overall. I have no faith in them to take a swing for the fences. The ceiling for this tandem is the wild card and out, with or without Brady and Belichick in the division. They are driven much more by fear of failure than the desire for greatness. They are mediocrity incarnate. 

The QBs they've brought in are Fitzpatrick, Petty, Hackenberg, and McCown. So no, I don't trust these guys to do right at the QB position.

I expect the player with their projected highest floor to be the pick in the first round. If the team is lucky, that will at least be an offensive lineman this year. At QB, they'll give $10M or so to someone who doesn't deserve that kind of money, and -again, with luck- maybe take one with one of their second round picks. This is an organization designed to spin its wheels. 

1 minute ago, slats said:

Mac and Bowles both are way too conservative for my taste. This is 100% true. Mac will take no chances with his high picks. This is why he's taken a DT and S at #6 overall. I have no faith in them to take a swing for the fences. The ceiling for this tandem is the wild card and out, with or without Brady and Belichick in the division. They are driven much more by fear of failure than the desire for greatness. They are mediocrity incarnate.  

I honestly think Mac has no choice, if he wants to keep his job. He has to take a swing for the fences

Just now, legler82 said:

The bold is NOT true.  Some guys simply don't have it.

Some guys don't.  Most guy have "it" to a certain extent.  If you don't think it's about coaching then that's ok.  I strongly disagree.  Coaching is by far the most important factor.

14 minutes ago, slats said:

The QBs they've brought in are Fitzpatrick, Petty, Hackenberg, and McCown. So no, I don't trust these guys to do right at the QB position.

I expect the player with their projected highest floor to be the pick in the first round. If the team is lucky, that will at least be an offensive lineman this year. At QB, they'll give $10M or so to someone who doesn't deserve that kind of money, and -again, with luck- maybe take one with one of their second round picks. This is an organization designed to spin its wheels. 

mccags strikes me as the scout who doesn't see the forest for the trees.  he drafts first rounders with a focus on draft grade to boost his rep as a scout, rather than asking, 'which one of these guys is actually going to help me win games?'  of his first round picks, i actually like lee the best.  williams is a nice player but he is not a sack guy, and you can find DTs who don't sack the qb in rounds other than the first.  

mccags has avoided the coples/wilson/gholston bust syndrome and even seems to have ended the 2nd round curse (probably b/c he picked a defensive player rather than a 'forced' offensive one).  but mccags the scout will NEVER be highly regarded by his peers unless and until he shows the balls to go and get a qb, say 'he's our guy' and put coaching and financial resources behind him.  i joke that my wife can run a fantasy draft, just take the highest rated player on espn.  that's what mccags does, and that's why he ends up with some nice players but no difference makers, he isn't willing to either stray from his draft board to take a qb, or isn't willing to part with the draft picks required to get the qb he really wants.  that's why we end up with fitz and mccown.

16 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

What was the activity they do st the combine to measure spark? I forget. 

The proper term is "Jet-Upility.The ability to "Jet-Up" is measured by a scientific means so complicated we as laymen cannot comprehend its scope.

No I do not trust Macchole to pick his azz much less a QB. That being said though the draft is a crap shoot when it comes to any position but it seems the QB position is that much tougher to get right. So based on his moves so far Macchole is at a distinct disadvantage.

13 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

mccags strikes me as the scout who doesn't see the forest for the trees.  he drafts first rounders with a focus on draft grade to boost his rep as a scout, rather than asking, 'which one of these guys is actually going to help me win games?'  of his first round picks, i actually like lee the best.  williams is a nice player but he is not a sack guy, and you can find DTs who don't sack the qb in rounds other than the first.  

mccags has avoided the coples/wilson/gholston bust syndrome and even seems to have ended the 2nd round curse (probably b/c he picked a defensive player rather than a 'forced' offensive one).  but mccags the scout will NEVER be highly regarded by his peers unless and until he shows the balls to go and get a qb, say 'he's our guy' and put coaching and financial resources behind him.  i joke that my wife can run a fantasy draft, just take the highest rated player on espn.  that's what mccags does, and that's why he ends up with some nice players but no difference makers, he isn't willing to either stray from his draft board to take a qb, or isn't willing to part with the draft picks required to get the qb he really wants.  that's why we end up with fitz and mccown.

I think this exactly what Macc has done while here but I believe it was more about this team having no talent anywhere so getting on base was more important than risking a strike out the first 3 years. I do think we have a stable enough talent pool that a QB will drastically change our team so I think he makes a move.

3 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I think this exactly what Macc has done while here but I believe it was more about this team having no talent anywhere so getting on base was more important than risking a strike out the first 3 years. I do think we have a stable enough talent pool that a QB will drastically change our team so I think he makes a move.

if he never goes after a qb in the draft, he shouldnt be a gm.  this is the year, if hes' going to do it.  and if bowles stays the two of them have to be in synch with how they're going to play him.  or else mccags can't add a veteran qb b/c his draft pick will never play.

16 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Did you watch this guys 5 starts? I did. He is beyond awful, he terrible. He’s inaccurate, makes bad decisions and has zero spark

Yes we know that QBs can never see the light after 4 rocky starts to start their career...oh wait Peyton did, and his brother, and Goff looked worse than Petty last year and now looks like a franchise guy and on and on and on. 5 starts is no where NEAR enough starts to see if a QB can develop. The stuff Petty was struggling with are the parts of the offense that require lots of reps and building up timing which Toilet Bowles did not give him time to do. Petty struggling is not necessarily a function of him being bad, but an indictment of a coaching staff refusing to develop their own QB over time, and instead stubbornly and arrogantly trotting out a veteran QB in a vain attempt to squeeze out a few meaningless victories. Woody finally did the right thing and agreed to a rebuild but then Toilet Bowles fugged the entire plan up the a$$ by starting his new pet veteran JAGOFF. 

We should be looking at the two gorgeous deep balls Petty threw and not the inconsistency on short stuff which would absolutely improve with REPS and playing in GAMES>

15 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

The comment about Leo is simply not true. The Jets have zero edge rushing threats which limits what Leonard Williams can do as a pass rusher. I like to watch the play inside & Williams is truly the only threat the Jets dline possesses. You put an edge rusher like Von Miller on the Jets and now guys have to slide over to help it changes everything for Leo. Football is a complicated game & that's why great coaches get the most out of the same players. Patricia has already proven with the amount of changes the Pats defense has been through, and injuries, and BB just trading dudes like Chandler Jones & Collins, losing Hightower, he coaches circles around Bowles. He gets the most out of his scheme, is incredible with down & distance ect. Same with Zimmer up in Minny (dudes a great D coach). 

Bowles & Rogers are alway come up small in big spots. Three years & this team can't get off the field when it's really, really necessary. Whether the scheme is too complicated or too simple, or whatever it is, watching it is nauseating. Jets could pick defense till the cows come home & have pro bowlers at every position, they just can't coach, the team has terrible situational awareness, and someone's always out of position. 

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Yes we know that QBs can never see the light after 4 rocky starts to start their career...oh wait Peyton did, and his brother, and Goff looked worse than Petty last year and now looks like a franchise guy and on and on and on. 5 starts is no where NEAR enough starts to see if a QB can develop. The stuff Petty was struggling with are the parts of the offense that require lots of reps and building up timing which Toilet Bowles did not give him time to do. Petty struggling is not necessarily a function of him being bad, but an indictment of a coaching staff refusing to develop their own QB over time, and instead stubbornly and arrogantly trotting out a veteran QB in a vain attempt to squeeze out a few meaningless victories. Woody finally did the right thing and agreed to a rebuild but then Toilet Bowles fugged the entire plan up the a$$ by starting his new pet veteran JAGOFF. 

We should be looking at the two gorgeous deep balls Petty threw and not the inconsistency on short stuff which would absolutely improve with REPS and playing in GAMES>

youre really comparing Petty to those QBs?

you really believe Bowles is holding back the talent of Petty?

Fans are really going to blame Bowles for starting the best QB on the roster when it's his job to win? When every coach in the league does the same and every coach in the future will do the same. I don't understand that line of thinking. 

24 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I think that is a fair assessment plus it seems like Macc only wants to draft the "scouting darling" type of QB with height weight arm strength and pocket passing. I think we have a solid chance at getting Mayfield and would be happy with that, but I think Mac will not do it, draft a CB in RD1 and pick a QB like Falk later that will be buried behind some veteran. Only way out of this mess is new QB centric HC and GM, with a proper chain of command structure.

Having said that, the one place I could see the philosophies melding is if Garappolo realizes that the can play the market and force SF to franchise tag him. If SF chooses the non exclusive tag, then we should absolutely sign him away for the 2 first round picks

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

Some guys don't.  Most guy have "it" to a certain extent.  If you don't think it's about coaching then that's ok.  I strongly disagree.  Coaching is by far the most important factor.

So coaching is why San Fran started getting better play at the QB position the instant they started Garoppolo?  I would agree with you only in the sense that scheme fit and continuity is very important.  The most successful QBs in the league run offenses that fit their skill set and stay in said offense.  The "coaching" may change from year to year but the scheme remains the same to the point where it really doesn't matter who the OC is.  Not all QBs can run the WCO, Pistol, Spread...etc.; the Jets in recent history has been terrible at understanding and/or unlucky with this.  Exhibits:

A.  Favre had to run sh*tty's verbally complicated "Air Coryell" offense to start after spending more than a decade mastering the WCO.

B.  Sanchez's play in the WCO from high school through college garnered him a 1st round grade.  He never got a chance to play in the WCO as a Jet.  He jacked up his shoulder the year we finally hired a WCO OC, Marty Mornhinweg.

C.  Geno's elevation as a prospect came after putting up video game numbers under the Spread his senior year.  So, of course, we put him in the WCO his rookie year.  When we do hire Chan Gailey, an OC who has a scheme with Spread principles in it, Geno gets his jaw smashed in for what amounts to couch change.

D.  Hackenberg found success as a freshman running Bill O'Brien prostyle vertical offense then struggled mightily for 2 years in Franklin's Spread offense.  Even knowing Chan Gailey's offense has a lot of Spread principles we still draft him.  

Right now we are running the WCO.  If history tells us anything, we are likely to find the most square peg of a QB prospect, to fit in the round hole. 

3 minutes ago, Jetster said:

The comment about Leo is simply not true. The Jets have zero edge rushing threats which limits what Leonard Williams can do as a pass rusher. I like to watch the play inside & Williams is truly the only threat the Jets dline possesses. You put an edge rusher like Von Miller on the Jets and now guys have to slide over to help it changes everything for Leo. Football is a complicated game & that's why great coaches get the most out of the same players. Patricia has already proven with the amount of changes the Pats defense has been through, and injuries, and BB just trading dudes like Chandler Jones & Collins, losing Hightower, he coaches circles around Bowles. He gets the most out of his scheme, is incredible with down & distance ect. Same with Zimmer up in Minny (dudes a great D coach). 

Bowles & Rogers are alway come up small in big spots. Three years & this team can't get off the field when it's really, really necessary. Whether the scheme is too complicated or too simple, or whatever it is, watching it is nauseating. Jets could pick defense till the cows come home & have pro bowlers at every position, they just can't coach, the team has terrible situational awareness, and someone's always out of position. 

Dont forget Wade Phillips in that conversation. Bowles has a single defense he can coach and he needs very specific talent for it to be at all successful.

16 hours ago, Pac said:

How about the fact that the year Petty was drafted no other QB's that we had a chance to draft have done anything at all?

The only QB that has done anything the year Hack was drafted is Dak and things are going a lot differently for him this year.

There are finally a surplus of QB's coming out with 1st round grades and we should be in a position to get one of them.

No one ever answers the simple question of which QB Macc should have drafted that missed on.

Watson had 4 good games going 1-3 and is on IR...  Despite the hero worship Mahomes hasn't played a down.  Even if I give you Watson that makes 1 QB in 3 years.

Everyone likes to pretend Macc has had his choice of franchise QB's and passed on them but that simply doesn't jibe with reality.

Jacoby Brissett >>> Christian Hackenberg

9 minutes ago, Jetster said:

leo doesn't have the short area quickness to catch qbs, we've seen him play for 3 years and he is good at flushing out qbs but not catching them.  qbs have enough time to throw the ball away when he's chasing them.  darron lee is already a better pass rusher and they would rather have him tail rbs when his speed is what can catch qbs.

lee has 3 sacks to leo's 2 and he barely rushes the passer.  leo rushes on every down.

5 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

youre really comparing Petty to those QBs?

you really believe Bowles is holding back the talent of Petty?

Fans are really going to blame Bowles for starting the best QB on the roster when it's his job to win? When every coach in the league does the same and every coach in the future will do the same. I don't understand that line of thinking. 

Petty may stink, Petty could turn out well. You do not know until you play him. And you are wrong. Many many many HC and GM combos would have absolutely 100% started Petty from Day 1 and then Hack if he fails. Polian has said it this year many times, as has Kirwan and the former Bucs GM. If playing the "best" QB on the roster was what "every" coach in the NFL did, then rookies would NEVER start. Your view on this is 100% wrong. We are rebuilding. You play the young QBs. Period. If they develop, awesome. If they don't you draft another and start him. This cycle of mediocrity behind JAG veterans who are subtly better than the young guys has to stop. You do not play the best player at QB, you play the QB that has the best long term potential.

55 minutes ago, slats said:

This is both sad and true.  Not fun to talk about but after all the gibber jabber about "What we" would like to see, this is a sober prediction that for all intent and purpose will most likely come to fruition.

6 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Dont forget Wade Phillips in that conversation. Bowles has a single defense he can coach and he needs very specific talent for it to be at all successful.

Forgot about Wade...Seahawks...7 points...at home...with Goff only throwing for 123 yards. Bad azz!

7 minutes ago, legler82 said:

So coaching is why San Fran started getting better play at the QB position the instant they started Garoppolo?  I would agree with you only in the sense that scheme fit and continuity is very important.  The most successful QBs in the league run offenses that fit their skill set and stay in said offense.  The "coaching" may change from year to year but the scheme remains the same to the point where it really doesn't matter who the OC is.  Not all QBs can run the WCO, Pistol, Spread...etc.; the Jets in recent history has been terrible at understanding and/or unlucky with this.  Exhibits:

A.  Favre had to run sh*tty's verbally complicated "Air Coryell" offense to start after spending more than a decade mastering the WCO.

B.  Sanchez's play in the WCO from high school through college garnered him a 1st round grade.  He never got a chance to play in the WCO as a Jet.  He jacked up his shoulder the year we finally hired a WCO OC, Marty Mornhinweg.

C.  Geno's elevation as a prospect came after putting up video game numbers under the Spread his senior year.  So, of course, we put him in the WCO his rookie year.  When we do hire Chan Gailey, an OC who has a scheme with Spread principles in it, Geno gets his jaw smashed in for what amounts to couch change.

D.  Hackenberg found success as a freshman running Bill O'Brien prostyle vertical offense then struggled mightily for 2 years in Franklin's Spread offense.  Even knowing Chan Gailey's offense has a lot of Spread principles we still draft him.  

Right now we are running the WCO.  If history tells us anything, we are likely to find the most square peg of a QB prospect, to fit in the round hole. 

Good points, but Garoppolo 100% IS a function of coaching. He learned from the best offensive mind in football (Belichick) a very very good OC in McDaniels and the (very unfortunately) best QB of all time. Garoppolo would be getting called a super bust right now if we had drafted him.

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Good points, but Garoppolo 100% IS a function of coaching. He learned from the best offensive mind in football (Belichick) a very very good OC in McDaniels and the (very unfortunately) best QB of all time. Garoppolo would be getting called a super bust right now if we had drafted him.

Shannahans no slouch either, look what he did with RG3, Cousins, Ryan..holy sh*t! I don't think 49ers are taking a QB, I see a trade partner, NFC. 

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

Petty may stink, Petty could turn out well. You do not know until you play him. And you are wrong. Many many many HC and GM combos would have absolutely 100% started Petty from Day 1 and then Hack if he fails. Polian has said it this year many times, as has Kirwan and the former Bucs GM. If playing the "best" QB on the roster was what "every" coach in the NFL did, then rookies would NEVER start. Your view on this is 100% wrong. We are rebuilding. You play the young QBs. Period. If they develop, awesome. If they don't you draft another and start him. This cycle of mediocrity behind JAG veterans who are subtly better than the young guys has to stop. You do not play the best player at QB, you play the QB that has the best long term potential.

100% wrong? Really? Probably true if said HC and GM had job security but again not true.

Plenty of examples of young QBs sitting and in the Jets case, you have coaches and GMs concerned with future employment. If that was the case, then they should have fired the coaches last off season, or given them more of a commitment coming into this season.

And why is it the only people crying about Petty starting are the fans? Has there been one mention from anyone in the organization that wanted Petty to start? 

10 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

leo doesn't have the short area quickness to catch qbs, we've seen him play for 3 years and he is good at flushing out qbs but not catching them.  qbs have enough time to throw the ball away when he's chasing them.  darron lee is already a better pass rusher and they would rather have him tail rbs when his speed is what can catch qbs.

lee has 3 sacks to leo's 2 and he barely rushes the passer.  leo rushes on every down.

I hear ya, but QBs are always sliding away from him. You get a guy that forces him to stay in the pocket from the edge & they can't step up BECAUSE of Leo. Granted, Leo is not a generational defender but he's playing with some real sh*t around him like Mo. 

4 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

I, for one, would like to give Mac props for passing on Paxton Lynch. Many on this board wanted Mac run out of town for picking a LB, who has been playing much better this year, over Lynch. 

So at least he scouted that one right. 

I remember seeing A LOT of criticism over that one and they all know who they are, or were. Same people criticizing him now for not taking Watson but had he taken Lynch, those same fans would be hiding right now.

Archived