Mac and qbs

kevinc855

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Good points, but Garoppolo 100% IS a function of coaching. He learned from the best offensive mind in football (Belichick) a very very good OC in McDaniels and the (very unfortunately) best QB of all time. Garoppolo would be getting called a super bust right now if we had drafted him.

Says you.  One can easily find every successful QB and attribute their success to coaching; saying it doesn't make it true.  Petty throwing dirt balls at wide open WRs has nothing to do with bad coaching.  McCown hit those same WRs running the same routes at a close to 70% clip.  

If you pair a good QB with a scheme that fits their skill set and allow them time to become proficient at running said scheme, they will have long term individual success in the NFL. The Jets either draft bad QB prospects and/or put them in schemes that don't compliment their skill set.  And if that doesn't lead to a bust, they just continue to change OC and offenses for good measure.

Coaching has a HUGE impact on overall team success but not so much the isolated play of the QB.  Good QBs in the right offenses put up good numbers and can still lose because of bad coaching.  Good coaching can sometimes win even with bad QBs and/or bad QB play.

7 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

I'll trust Mac to take the consensus best player he can in round 1.

He's done that well twice already. (and then there was 2016 where nobody was really can't miss) Why wouldn't he do it now?

Mac HAS to take a QB in the first round - there is NO other scenario that would even be reasonable.

Unless they trade for or sign a legitimate, long term, starter before the draft - even then he should take a QB but that's the only scenario that doesn't include a 1st round QB.

Just now, Tony MaC said:

Actually, now would be a great time to look at the prospects available. I haven't paid any of that any mind, because what's the point of getting on a bandwagon that can fall off for multiple reasons including injury?

Darnold and Rosen are teh consensus top 2.

Allen, Mayfield and Jackson are the next bunch in no particular order

33 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

I, for one, would like to give Mac props for passing on Paxton Lynch. Many on this board wanted Mac run out of town for picking a LB, who has been playing much better this year, over Lynch. 

So at least he scouted that one right. 

And then he proceed to draft Christian Hackenberg a few picks later in round 2 right before Deon Jones who is every thing Darron Lee wishes he was.

Yay Big Mac!!!!

10 minutes ago, JiF said:

And then he proceed to draft Christian Hackenberg a few picks later in round 2 right before Deon Jones who is every thing Darron Lee wishes he was.

Yay Big Mac!!!!

Lee has vastly improved this year & they are very comparable players at this point in their careers. But your entire statement hinges on Hackenberg. If Hack ever gets the chance to see the field & performs well it won't matter Jones was picked after Hackenberg

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

if he never goes after a qb in the draft, he shouldnt be a gm.  this is the year, if hes' going to do it.  and if bowles stays the two of them have to be in synch with how they're going to play him.  or else mccags can't add a veteran qb b/c his draft pick will never play.

He had Geno year 1 and took Petty to develop, then he took Hack year 2, this year he wanted to see what either had to see if they could be the answer. They don't have what it takes so he'll address QB a 3rd time. Whether you have confidence in his selection is another issue but he has been trying to add talent while looking for a QB with minimal investment until he feels the team is at a point where we can get overly aggressive. I believe this option has been in the works since year 1 given the duration of the contracts he gave out and how he has spent his picks.

1 hour ago, bgivs21 said:

I, for one, would like to give Mac props for passing on Paxton Lynch. Many on this board wanted Mac run out of town for picking a LB, who has been playing much better this year, over Lynch. 

So at least he scouted that one right. 

Mac deserves some credit for dodging that bullet.

The 2016 Draft was a very hard one to pick.  There was no real right pick there.  

To me, in retrospect that best players available to the Jets there were Artie Burns and maybe Will Fuller.  

In 2017, the pick was Lattimore, not Adams (ignoring the QBs).

50 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

Lee has vastly improved this year & they are very comparable players at this point in their careers. But your entire statement hinges on Hackenberg. If Hack ever gets the chance to see the field & performs well it won't matter Jones was picked after Hackenberg

Huh?  Lee is a total liability in coverage and otherwise, he tackles people, sometimes.  Deon Jones has 5 INT's and just iced the game last week with an incredible pick in the endzone.  Blake Martinez, a 4th round pick in the same draft, has 2 career INT's and more tackles than Lee.

Lee is closer to Joe Schobert who was also, a 4th round pick and even Joe has a pick. 

Hell, even Jaylon Smith has an INT and he couldnt even walk last year. 

Going from god awful to being able to tackle people isn't impressive. 

And how does Hack getting a chance make him better than one of the best defenders in the league? 

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

Huh?  Lee is a total liability in coverage and otherwise, he tackles people, sometimes.  Deon Jones has 5 INT's and just iced the game last week with an incredible pick in the endzone.  Blake Martinez, a 4th round pick in the same draft, has 2 career INT's and more tackles than Lee.

Lee is closer to Joe Schobert who was also, a 4th round pick and even Joe has a pick. 

Hell, even Jaylon Smith has an INT and he couldnt even walk last year. 

Going from god awful to being able to tackle people isn't impressive. 

And how does Hack getting a chance make him better than one of the best defenders in the league? 

The Jets with Artie Burns and Deion Jones is a much better team than one with Darron Lee and Hack.

And the Jets with Lattimore, Maye, Elflein and Eddie Jackson is a much better team than one with Adams, Maye, Stewart and Hansen.

Mac needs a boss or to be replaced.  He is not drafting well.

Look at the Saints' 2017 Draft.  Basically will take the team deep into the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Jets with Artie Burns and Deion Jones is a much better team than one with Darron Lee and Hack.

And the Jets with Lattimore, Maye, Elflein and Eddie Jackson is a much better team than one with Adams, Maye, Stewart and Hansen.

Mac needs a boss or to be replaced.  He is not drafting well.

Look at the Saints' 2017 Draft.  Basically will take the team deep into the playoffs.

The Dallas Cowboys are starting 3 rookie CB's and just held a team that dropped 45 points on the Jets to 17 points on the road. 

5 minutes ago, SR24 said:

I hate to break it to everyone but Mac will not select a QB in the 1st round. Wilkerson will be let go and he will select a DE 

and mccags still won't have figured out why all these 'steals' fall to him in the top 10 while other teams are reaching for qbs and getting better.

Just now, Augustiniak said:

and mccags still won't have figured out why all these 'steals' fall to him in the top 10 while other teams are reaching for qbs and getting better.

We need to clean house again. This regime isn't working, Bowles and Mac are too conservative and clueless

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Yes we know that QBs can never see the light after 4 rocky starts to start their career...oh wait Peyton did, and his brother, and Goff looked worse than Petty last year and now looks like a franchise guy and on and on and on. 5 starts is no where NEAR enough starts to see if a QB can develop. The stuff Petty was struggling with are the parts of the offense that require lots of reps and building up timing which Toilet Bowles did not give him time to do. Petty struggling is not necessarily a function of him being bad, but an indictment of a coaching staff refusing to develop their own QB over time, and instead stubbornly and arrogantly trotting out a veteran QB in a vain attempt to squeeze out a few meaningless victories. Woody finally did the right thing and agreed to a rebuild but then Toilet Bowles fugged the entire plan up the a$$ by starting his new pet veteran JAGOFF. 

We should be looking at the two gorgeous deep balls Petty threw and not the inconsistency on short stuff which would absolutely improve with REPS and playing in GAMES>

This can’t be for real. Omg 

19 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

I’m curious to know is everyone confident he will pick that right one. We will prob pick 6-8 which means we won’t get the top 2. This guys has totally whiffed on petty and hack. Why do we trust him with this very big upcoming qb pick? To me it’s cousins or bust. 

Cousins coming to jets is a far long shot for number of reasons 

49 minutes ago, varjet said:

Mac deserves some credit for dodging that bullet.

The 2016 Draft was a very hard one to pick.  There was no real right pick there.  

To me, in retrospect that best players available to the Jets there were Artie Burns and maybe Will Fuller.  

In 2017, the pick was Lattimore, not Adams (ignoring the QBs).

And everyone would have gone nuts if we picked another CB that high. But, in retrospect we'd be way better off with Maye & Brooks at safety and Claiborne & Lattimore at CB. 

I like Adams a lot but we didn't need 2 safeties.

3 minutes ago, Pac said:

He's kinda koo koo.

He believes there's been a conspiracy to sabotage Pettys career orchestrated by Bowles and Co. 

Your best bet is to just smile and nod.

Honestly they have done nothing to help the kid. Doesn’t make Petty any better because he has shown nothing . But it has to make you think this regime is incapable of picking and grooming a somewhat functional young QB. They will just overpay and sign another old one and grab another sub .500 season. Or may catch lightening in a bottle again and make it two ten wins missing the playoffs. Your son will be chosing grad schools before we sniff the playoffs again. I will probably be a damn Gramdoa. 

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

And everyone would have gone nuts if we picked another CB that high. But, in retrospect we'd be way better off with Maye & Brooks at safety and Claiborne & Lattimore at CB. 

I like Adams a lot but we didn't need 2 safeties.

Wasn't there some injury concerns with Lattimore though? I thought he had knee issues or something like that. 

The QB position HAS TO be addressed by the GM this year.  He made it this way by ignoring it and /or swinging and missing for the past 3 years.  If he adds another JAG QB in 2018, he certainly won't be  getting a 5th year to turn this team around, so he needs to be super aggressive and probably overpay to trade up and get the QB of his choice. 

Just now, ChuckkieB said:

The QB position HAS TO be addressed by the GM this year.  He made it this way by ignoring it and /or swinging and missing for the past 3 years.  If he adds another JAG QB in 2018, he certainly won't be  getting a 5th year to turn this team around, so he needs to be super aggressive and probably overpay to trade up and get the QB of his choice. 

Agreed and he MUST realize this - which is honestly why I believe the Jets will ultimately picking 3rd in this years draft. 

2 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

also i wouldn't be surprised if the johnsons get in mccags ear and tell him that he needs to stop this qb revolving door.  if either of the johnsons pay attention to the nfl they will know the giants are going to get a new qb and are ready to start marketing that angle, and the jets can't be stuck with alex smith and a 4th round rookie who has no hope of starting (again).  

if the jets get rid of bowles that says to me they are ready to set up a more offensive friendly coaching system, but if they keep him, it's up to mccags to draft a real qb and not give bowles a guy like alex smith who will keep any rookie on the bench.  

8 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Honestly they have done nothing to help the kid. Doesn’t make Petty any better because he has shown nothing . But it has to make you think this regime is incapable of picking and grooming a somewhat functional young QB. They will just overpay and sign another old one and grab another sub .500 season. Or may catch lightening in a bottle again and make it two ten wins missing the playoffs. Your son will be chosing grad schools before we sniff the playoffs again. I will probably be a damn Gramdoa. 

Don't believe the hype..

Morton comes from the school of Gruden and Payton and Jeremy Bates got the best years Cutler and McCown have had.

This notion that they're incapable of grooming a QB is stooopid.

Now last years crew on the other hand sucked big time.  The QB coach who had never coached QB's proudly stated they were putting Hack on ice for the year.  Weren't going to work on his mechanics or give him any reps..  they actually said that out loud.  

2 minutes ago, Pac said:

Don't believe the hype..

Morton comes from the school of Gruden and Payton and Jeremy Bates got the best years Cutler and McCown have had.

This notion that they're incapable of grooming a QB is stooopid.

Now last years crew on the other hand sucked big time.  The QB coach who had never coached QB's proudly stated they were putting Hack on ice for the year.  Weren't going to work on his mechanics or give him any reps..  they actually said that out loud.  

Not grooming a "young" QB is 100% fact. Yes, they can bring in an old underachiever who has his best year of underachieving yet. I guess that's a skill boo.

Archived