Interesting tidbits by Pauline on Cousins and Hack

Dinamite

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

I’m saying the Broncos are a terrible team with bottom of the league performances fron everyone but their defense, which just got another year older and is not to be confused with the one that won a SB. I’m also saying they do not actually have the money to both pull signing Cousins off and ungarbage the team. 

you're funny

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Not sure why so many are saying the Jets will have no shot at Cousins or won’t pursue him at all.

It was widely reported that Macc tried trading for him when Geno had his jaw busted. Now he’s posted back-to-back-to-back 4,000+ yard, 25+ TD seasons while completing 67% of his passes and I’m supposed to believe that Macc won’t put on the full court press when he has $100 million to play with and arguably the worst QB situation in the league?

Let’s use our heads here.

And despite half the fanbase having a giant wad of sand stuck in their collective vaginas, the Jets are widely viewed around the league as a team on the come-up. 

If they land Cousins, add maybe 2 other building block players in FA and have a solid draft class...there’s no reason why this team can’t win 10 or 11 games next season and be right in the thick of the playoff hunt.

They’d also be set up pretty damn nicely for when Brady and Belichick walk out the door within the next 2 years and the AFC East is up for grabs.

If the Redskins are willing to come with in the ball park of the Jets, or Browns (which they reportedly are) why would Cousins leave?  He would have to learn a new offense, uproot his family just to name a few inconveniences, yes he will deal with those inconveniences IF the Skins counter his going market rate with a low ball last ditch effort, but again all reports are Skins are going to let him test market, and offer market value themselves.

1 hour ago, greenwave81 said:

Well, I would call what HOU did 'trading a DP cheap'...while HOU wasn't seeking cap relief at the time that I recall to bid on a FA player per se, I don't see how the NFL can come down against any use by a team of available cap space as an 'asset' to use in any deal...especially after the HOU/CLE trade.

For example, say DEN really wants Cousins, but realizes they need more cap space to configure a deal that WAS won't likely match.  So could we take some less than desireable contracts off their roster for cap relief and say trade a later round DP in exchange for their #4?  I'd have a hard time believing the NFL would nix such an offer...of course, that's just an example...but until the HOU/CLE deal I hadn't noticed any deals of this sort previously.

I'm not sure we're on the same page.  All I am saying is that, as someone suggested, CLE were to offer the Jets a lopsided deal to essentially 'pay them' not to run the price up on bidding for Cousins as a FA, that would be obvious collusion.  I have no issue with using draft picks to dump salary and clearly the NFL doesn't either.  Maybe I'm not being clear but do you see the difference in what I'm describing?

8 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I'm not sure we're on the same page.  All I am saying is that, as someone suggested, CLE were to offer the Jets a lopsided deal to essentially 'pay them' not to run the price up on bidding for Cousins as a FA, that would be obvious collusion.  I have no issue with using draft picks to dump salary and clearly the NFL doesn't either.  Maybe I'm not being clear but do you see the difference in what I'm describing?

I doubt the NFL could give a sh*t. It is the NFLPA that has a problem with that.  It is the definition of collusion.

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I doubt the NFL could give a sh*t. It is the NFLPA that has a problem with that.  It is the definition of collusion.

Exactly.  I mentioned the NFLPA before but I was getting lazy repeating myself a few times.  The NFL will care only because the NFLPA would go berserk and rightfully so.  I think we're all on the same page now.

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I hear ya but they can do that with the Jets too. If the Skins want to keep him they can.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

If the Jets offer +$40M in year one then there is no way the Skins will be able to match that. You'd be front loading it so heavily that the Skins can't actually match the deal. That lightens his cap hits in years 3, 4, 5, & 6.

3 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

If the Jets offer +$40M in year one then there is no way the Skins will be able to match that. You'd be front loading it so heavily that the Skins can't actually match the deal. That lightens his cap hits in years 3, 4, 5, & 6.

IF Cousins wants to stay in Washington he doesn’t officially accept an offer designed for the Skins to match, he just relays to the Skins the total guaranteed money of the contract and length, and tell them match that any way, and I will stay.

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I’ve seen some gritty comebacks. I ‘be read about some dominate performance..but I can’t sit here and say he doesn’t lose. 7-9 is a fact so i’ll give peopele that...but I just feel like with a few pieces added that he never had he can be good to great for at least 6 years. And the playoffs this year have already showed us players like Blake Bortles and Marcus Mariota(Or Tyrod Taylor) can get into the playoffs. 

He has 20 players on IR and goes 7-9.  The Giants, who were (I think) 11-5 last year, have about the same and go 3-13.

9 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

IF Cousins wants to stay in Washington he doesn’t officially accept an offer designed for the Skins to match, he just relays to the Skins the total guaranteed money of the contract and length, and tell them match that any way, and I will stay.

He can certainly do that, his relationship with the front office over the last 5 years leads me to believe he doesn't want to be there. I could absolutely be wrong and if I am then we still have enough ammo to trade up or sit toght at 6. I just think it would be a mistake not to make a strong push for Cousins.

It's pretty hard to prove collusion is all I'm saying...who knows if teams are already talking about parameters of swapping DP's for other DP's and taking on bad contracts as compensation?  Teams negotiate with FA's separately..so as long as no 'talk' specifically occurs between teams regarding a specific FA as 'part of the deal' or what their offers to any FA will/would be, seems improbable to me that any 'collusion' could be proven.

6 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

He can certainly do that, his relationship with the front office over the last 5 years leads me to believe he doesn't want to be there. I could absolutely be wrong and if I am then we still have enough ammo to trade up or sit toght at 6. I just think it would be a mistake not to make a strong push for Cousins.

Sure, by all means do that if you want Cousins...up to the price Macc feels Cousins is worth of course.  But at a certain point if the bidding goes over your 'price point' for a player, not so sure it's 'collusion' to make another deal with a team still in the bidding for the player that is in what you feel is your teams 'best interest'.

Hope that makes sense.

7 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Sure, by all means do that if you want Cousins...up to the price Macc feels Cousins is worth of course.  But at a certain point if the bidding goes over your 'price point' for a player, not so sure it's 'collusion' to make another deal with a team still in the bidding for the player that is in what you feel is your teams 'best interest'.

Hope that makes sense.

Oo I completely agree, if this is remotely a possibility I would certainly entertain what it would take for us to land #1. I do think that Cousins will ultimately take the deal and surroundings he likes the most with a team that beats the Redskins. Browns may offer more it doesn't mean he necessarily wants to sign there. I could see him taking a little less to go to the Broncos but they won't be in play in the Transitions tag is placed on him.

3 hours ago, SenorGato said:

I’m saying the Broncos are a terrible team with bottom of the league performances fron everyone but their defense, which just got another year older and is not to be confused with the one that won a SB. I’m also saying they do not actually have the money to both pull signing Cousins off and ungarbage the team. 

Excellent use of the eord ungarbage! 

17 hours ago, johnnysd said:

OMG I am so fuucking tired of the Cousins talk...he SUCKS...I could care less how many yards and TDs he has thrown for, when it matters he sucks balls. I am going to be so happy when he signs somewhere else hopefully

It is interesting how varied the reactions to your post were.  I don't think he "sucks" but, like you, I also don't want him on this team.

image.png

I don’t mean to be argumentative but if they want to keep him and need to find upfront money it’s just a matter of restructuring other contracts to free up short term money.
Ultimately same guaranteed cash just moving dollars around.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

4 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

Somehow in the back of my mind I would see Bellichick giving Hack a swing at it for a conditional 7th just to poke the NYJ in the eye another time :)

I absolutely could see that.  I guess only time will tell but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Hack ends up being a good QB for a different team (possibly the Patriots).  I could see both Macc and Bowles getting fired after next year while Hack finds success in the league.  And we'll hear stuff from Macc like "Bowles didn't report to me so I had no leverage to make him play the guy".  

4 hours ago, nycdan said:

The Osweiler deal was a pure salary dump, which is common in the NBA but unusual in the NFL.  CLE got the pick in exchange for taking on Osweiler's salary, which HOU had no other way to dump.  I don't recall seeing such a large example before but I could see it happening again and there's nothing specifically wrong with it (i.e. it's not harming competitiveness or player salaries in any obvious way).

I wish the Jets made a trade like this - essentially purchasing a 2nd round pick.  

7 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Doing so would cripple their cap and their ability to move in the offseason

You guys need to let go of the fantasy that the Redskins are letting Hack go for nothing especially when they can get multiple draft picks for him

25 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

But a first legit pass rusher since John Abraham is... unless you want to spend $80 million on an aging Leveon Bell

Ansah’s 3 years older than Bell while also having the aging disease. He’s also two years older than Abraham was when he hit FA. He could be looking at $100+ million in total value and $60 million in garauntees as a FA. Browns will sign him or Lions franchise him. 

3 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Evidence the Broncos are legit terrible:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teameff

31st on offense, 30th on STs

Evidence the Broncos are good:

They shut out the vaunted Jets

Jets beat three playoff teams: Doesn’t count! 

Broncos beat Jets: 2018 SB contenders!

Way to leave out the #3 D. But, then again it's not like D wins championships. So, I see your point there.

6 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

#3 D in yards per game. They didn't do well in scoring due to crappy ST and O play. But I like that you keep trying. 

Alright uncle, uncle! I’ve gotten got. 

Evidence the Broncos are good:

Broncos shut out the vaunted Jets

Broncos finished #3 in YPG on defense thanks to their bottom 3 offense and ST putting them in bad field position

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I don’t mean to be argumentative but if they want to keep him and need to find upfront money it’s just a matter of restructuring other contracts to free up short term money.
Ultimately same guaranteed cash just moving dollars around.

I mean maybe they could come up with $40M to pay him but we legit could drop $50M or more and still have a ton of money to sign players. I don't think it would need to go that high though. If it did could you imagine how lopsided that deal would be haha no one would be able to franchise a QB for 2 years. Not to mention it would make his contract $21M for the final 4 years (assuming an average of $28M per year) 10.5% of the 2020 cap or the equivalent of the 17th highest paid QB and that percentage would only go further down as each year passed. 

It is only to our benefit to heavily front load a deal so if the contract value overall stays the same then it is worth it especially in the long run. If Transition Tagged, the only teams that can offer that kind of silly money are the Browns and Jets and I feel pretty confident that the Browns will be drafting their QBOTF so we wouldn't need to get in a bidding war as much as we'd need to just outmatch the Redskins in contract structure.

13 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Alright uncle, uncle! I’ve gotten got. 

Evidence the Broncos are good:

Broncos shut out the vaunted Jets

Broncos finished #3 in YPG on defense thanks to their bottom 3 offense and ST putting them in bad field position

They also faced the hardest schedule in the NFL. If that team had a QB they'd be dangerous. They are just at a weird point age wise and money wise. I think their window is closing but could still be a very strong team for the next year or 2 if they could manage to get top 15 level QB play.

7 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

They also faced the hardest schedule in the NFL. If that team had a QB they'd be dangerous. They are just at a weird point age wise and money wise. I think their window is closing but could still be a very strong team for the next year or 2 if they could manage to get top 15 level QB play.

In the same link:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teameff

The Broncos played the 22nd toughest schedule. Jets are at 16th. 

On 1/15/2018 at 11:08 PM, Dinamite said:

http://draftanalyst.com/shrine-game-monday-night-notes

Tony Pauline reports from the shrine game practices and has some interesting things to say about Cousins suitors and the idea that Hack is done and could be traded for a conditional pick.

The only pick we're getting for Christian Hackenberg is a guitar pick

Archived