Rank Your Free Agent QB's

KRL

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

If they take Jackson or Allen at #6 because the other three are off the board, is that a win?  Not saying we should trade down in that case, and I still think it's better than drafting another DB, but it would be quite the tofu sandwich if that's where we landed.

In a word, Yes. Either is a much better option than the wheel spinning they've been doing at QB since they drafted Geno Smith basically wasting two 2nd second round picks and one 4th round pick on bad QBs and starting non-answers to the QB problem like Fitz and McCown. When was the last time the Jets drafted a QB with the talent level of either Allen or Jackson? 

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

1. Alex Smith (Req. trade) - Low(er) cost, short(er) required investment, less issue with coinciding draft of a young QB.  Fills a 2-3 year gap while we draft and develop a legit franchise QB (I hope).

2. Kirk Cousins - Too expensive IMO, but I won't cry if he's signed.  He's the best FA/Available QB in the market.  He's just not a 30 million a year player, and thats what he'll almost assuredly cost to get.  Almost means drafting a QB is almost assuredly 100% out, including later round picks.

3. NO FA, Draft a QB.  No other FA QB is worth even a short-term investment of QB-level dollars.  

You are in love with Alex Smith

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

No way the niners let Jimmy G go he’s at the very least getting franchise tag

Agreed. But if they give him the nonexclusive tag, I would shovel a pile of money in his direction without hesitation. 28M per, 100M guaranteed? Done.  Let them choose whether they'd rather pay that price or take our 2 1st round picks and try to trade up.  (They'll pay it)

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

You are in love with Alex Smith

Nope. 

Same way I wasn't in love with Fitzpatrick.

I'm not in love with any of the available QB's, either in the draft or in the market.

I favor Smith > Cousins on the basis of

1. Est. Cost (Cousins will cost 30 million, Smith's cost is a starting player's worth of cost lower).

2. Est. length of required contract (Smith is One Year, Cousins will require 5 or more years).

3. Est. ability to also draft a 1st round grade QB at the same time (we can draft a QB in the 1st behidn Smith, IMO we cannot behind a 30 million a year/5 year Cousins).

4. His lower turnover rate vs. Cousins (Smith Avg. 8 INT's/Season as a starter, Cousins Avg. is 12 INT's/Year as a starter).

5. His suitability to a run-first, run-second, don't-turn-it-over Bowles-led team that plans to win of the ground and with Defense.

Cousins is the better pure QB, that's not really debatable.  But Smith is better suited and more realistic as a Jets QB.

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

Agreed. But if they give him the nonexclusive tag, I would shovel a pile of money in his direction without hesitation. 28M per, 100M guaranteed? Done.  Let them choose whether they'd rather pay that price or take our 2 1st round picks and try to trade up.  (They'll pay it)

San Fran would have to be the worst-run franchise in the NFL to leave a chance of Jimmy G. going elsewhere.

And clearly, with the Jets in the NFL, San Fran cannot be the worst run franchise in the NFL.

Ipso facto, there is no chance he's not a 49'er next year.

Hell, there is barely a chance that Cousins is really a FA this cycle.  

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

Thats my point, Jimmy G, after 7 starts is going to get $20 million per  year and cost his team a 2nd round pick.

Is cousins after 4 years, at $20 million per without having to give up a pick really too expensive?

Yeah but you aren't getting Cousins for 20mil per. I agree JimmyG will get a lot of cash for a small sample size but I think he's legit.                                                              The Jets are going to make a run at Cousins no doubt. I just don't think Macc can pull it off. If they don't get Cousins I would prefer they draft one and sign or trade for a vet.

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

If that’s the case yes i would throw everything and the kitchen sink at Jimmy G he’s way better than Kirk Cousins and everyone in the draft not named Sam Darnold 

10 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Yeah but you aren't getting Cousins for 20mil per. I agree JimmyG will get a lot of cash for a small sample size but I think he's legit.                                                              The Jets are going to make a run at Cousins no doubt. I just don't think Macc can pull it off. If they don't get Cousins I would prefer they draft one and sign or trade for a vet.

It’s going to come down to Macc having to give the Skins our 6th pick overall in addition to the $140 million contract for Cousins.  I don’t think he has big enough balls for that

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

1. Alex Smith (Req. trade) - Low(er) cost, short(er) required investment, less issue with coinciding draft of a young QB Fills a 2-3 year gap while we draft and develop a legit franchise QB (I hope).

2. Kirk Cousins - Too expensive IMO, but I won't cry if he's signed.  He's the best FA/Available QB in the market.  He's just not a 30 million a year player, and thats what he'll almost assuredly cost to get.  Almost means drafting a QB is almost assuredly 100% out, including later round picks.

3. NO FA, Draft a QB.  No other FA QB is worth even a short-term investment of QB-level dollars.  

Giving up a pick and an extension to Smith on the basis that Cousins is too expensive doesn’t make sense. Money is something they have much more of than draft picks. You’re using both to get ages 35-37 of Smith when you can just use the more common resource on Cousins. 

Then the contract length - a Cousins deal is almost definitely only garaunteeing 2-3 years before he can be cut or even traded.

Finally, if they can use a draft pick on a QB after a pick and lots of money on Alex Smith, they can do it with Cousins without breaking any rules that exist. 

1 minute ago, SenorGato said:

Wait you’d give up a pick and an extension to Smith on the basis that Cousins is too expensive? You know money is something they have much more of than draft picks! You’re using both to get ages 35-37! Also the contract length - a Cousins deal is almost definitely only garaunteeing 2-3 years before he can be cut or even traded. Finally, if they can use a draft pick on a QB after a pick and lots of money on Alex Smith, they can do it with Cousins without breaking any rules that exist. 

Did Warfish forget to tell you we are also getting Travis Kelce, Andy Reid and Kareem Hunt?

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

It’s going to come down to Macc having to give the Skins our 6th pick overall in addition to the $140 million contract for Cousins.  I don’t think he has big enough balls for that

This would not be having big balls......this would be purely idiotic.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Nope. 

Same way I wasn't in love with Fitzpatrick.

I'm not in love with any of the available QB's, either in the draft or in the market.

I favor Smith > Cousins on the basis of

1. Est. Cost (Cousins will cost 30 million, Smith's cost is a starting player's worth of cost lower).

2. Est. length of required contract (Smith is One Year, Cousins will require 5 or more years).

3. Est. ability to also draft a 1st round grade QB at the same time (we can draft a QB in the 1st behidn Smith, IMO we cannot behind a 30 million a year/5 year Cousins).

4. His lower turnover rate vs. Cousins (Smith Avg. 8 INT's/Season as a starter, Cousins Avg. is 12 INT's/Year as a starter).

5. His suitability to a run-first, run-second, don't-turn-it-over Bowles-led team that plans to win of the ground and with Defense.

Cousins is the better pure QB, that's not really debatable.  But Smith is better suited and more realistic as a Jets QB.

If that ever happens, I'm out. Pure and simple. I've taken a sh*tload of shots in my 38 years as a season ticket holder, but that would be the straw to break this camel's back.

9 hours ago, KRL said:

What's your ranking of the QB's who will be free agents and would you "double down"
in the draft?  I'm definitely doubling down and mine are:

1. Cousins - and I would draft a "toolsy" QB in the 3rd/4th round

2. Bridgewater - and I would draft a QB in the 1st round

3. Taylor - and I would draft a QB in the 1st round

4. Keenum - and I would draft a QB in the 1st round

5. McCarron - and I would draft a QB in the 1st round

I agree with your FA list entirely.

If we get Cousins I go with Falk or Mike White in Rd 2 or 3 and Logan Woodside in the 6th 

if we get Teddy I’m going Mason Rudolph or Lamar Jackson in the first and maybe Jeremiah Briscoe or Jake Browning late

6 hours ago, Philc1 said:

He better not. Cousins is not worth the money alone IMO much less the pick. The pick is the most important thing to me and must be used wisely. I might think about it if the Skins gave up Cousins and their 1st and 2nd rounders this year though.:D

20 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

He better not. Cousins is not worth the money alone IMO much less the pick. The pick is the most important thing to me and must be used wisely. I might think about it if the Skins gave up Cousins and their 1st and 2nd rounders this year though.:D

I’m not a big Cousins guy but if it comes down to Cousins or wasting the next 3 years on Allen or Mayfield or drafting yet another mediocre DB at 6 I rather have Cousins

How anyone in the right mind could have Bradford on their list when the guy has NEVER been healthy astounds me.

Whether you are in the "get Cousins" camp (I am) or not, the idea having two or three mediocre QBs on staff whose cumulative price tag, because of a lack of winning, should scare you way more than $30 Million Dollars....

I would argue having a historically awful QB whom the Jets praise in McCown and two absolutely non starters in Petty and Hackenberg hurt more than their combined salaries and the year of waste is palpable.  The idea that McCown saved and developed the team is ludicrous as if only he could have served this function say better than a Cousins would going forward.

Enough is enough we need quality QB play and no shell game by the Jets and their minons will be able to obstruct from this......

11 hours ago, BigO said:

Cousins.....too expensive - Bridge....too fragile.....Taylor....nah failed to impress.....Keenum....not going anywhere......McCarron......Yes he’s seasoned, young, can hold the fort until whoever we draft in RD 1 is ready and would be a fine backup afterwards. And please say no to McClown.

with you on mccarron though i wouldn't necessarily use a first round pick if any of those guys was signed.  they'd be coming in as the presumptive starter.  however, i would be taking a qb in maybe the 3rd or 4th rounds.  the jets just need their draft picks for impact players like cb, edge, lt, rb and so on.  and i guess now wr since robbie can't keep his cool.  it's also very doubtful devin smith can come back.

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

with you on mccarron though i wouldn't necessarily use a first round pick if any of those guys was signed.  they'd be coming in as the presumptive starter.  however, i would be taking a qb in maybe the 3rd or 4th rounds.  the jets just need their draft picks for impact players like cb, edge, lt, rb and so on.  and i guess now wr since robbie can't keep his cool.  it's also very doubtful devin smith can come back.

McCarron has weak arm strength.  Been there, done that got the t-shirt with Chad andFitz

49 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I’m not a big Cousins guy but if it comes down to Cousins or wasting the next 3 years on Allen or Mayfield or drafting yet another mediocre DB at 6 I rather have Cousins

Not high on Allen but Mayfield has talent and can play. Doesnt matter though. Macc won't draft him because he's a putz.

Archived