Broncos players opining for Cousins...when does this cross over to tampering?

freestater

1 minute ago, slats said:

Players can say anything they want. It doesn't become tampering until someone in management says something. 

If it becomes a unified voice across the board, there should be an investigation as to whether it had been orchestrated. If not, any team could get messages to players under contract with other teams by simply adding a layer between FO and player.

1 minute ago, jeremy2020 said:

If you think this matters to where cousins is going...you're nuts.

Maybe not, but if it gives them any unfair advantage, it's crap. Then again, this is the NFL we're talking about. Any illusion of level playing field are all gone now, lol

7 minutes ago, slats said:

Players can say anything they want. It doesn't become tampering until someone in management says something. 

This is how the rules were worded in 2009.

• NFL Players. No club, nor any person employed by or otherwise affiliated with a club, is permitted to tamper with a player who is under contract to or whose exclusive negotiating rights are held by another club. The following provisions amplify and clarify this general policy concerning NFL players:

That would seem to include players as they are employed by and affiliated with the club.  Maybe they added a provision excluding players since then but I can't find anything more recent online.  

Agreed that it's pretty hard to control what NFL players say on Twitter (if only they could) and the NBA for sure allows it to go on, but if it became clear that clubs were knowingly working through their players as a loophole, it would definitely draw interest.  I'm curious to see if there's any discussion of that on the talk shows as the process winds along.

8 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

It's not really a good look and now puts a ton of pressure on Elway to actually go and get Cousins. And if he fails to do so, then what? "Here guys, I know he wasn't your first choice but Tyrod is gonna be great for us."

players can say what they want.  there's already enough pressure on elway to fix the qb position after he completely messed up on lynch.

19 minutes ago, freestater said:

Maybe not, but if it gives them any unfair advantage, it's crap. Then again, this is the NFL we're talking about. Any illusion of level playing field are all gone now, lol

The NFL is a cesspool of deception that rewards cheating with championships. Jets just hate us so they barely try. 

25 minutes ago, nycdan said:

This is how the rules were worded in 2009.

That would seem to include players as they are employed by and affiliated with the club.  Maybe they added a provision excluding players since then but I can't find anything more recent online.  

Agreed that it's pretty hard to control what NFL players say on Twitter (if only they could) and the NBA for sure allows it to go on, but if it became clear that clubs were knowingly working through their players as a loophole, it would definitely draw interest.  I'm curious to see if there's any discussion of that on the talk shows as the process winds along.

Especially stars of the team who are the faces of the franchise. I mean, these aren't 3rd string special teams guys opening their mouths...

1 minute ago, freestater said:

Especially stars of the team who are the faces of the franchise. I mean, these aren't 3rd string special teams guys opening their mouths...

And the stupid thing is that player A can certainly talk directly to player B and no one would be the wiser.  Why do it on Twitter at all?  On the other hand, it's not like Cousins reads that and thinks "damn...nobody but DEN seems to want me".  The whole process is just too long in the world of social media and its endless appetite for content of any kind.

43 minutes ago, freestater said:

If it becomes a unified voice across the board, there should be an investigation as to whether it had been orchestrated. If not, any team could get messages to players under contract with other teams by simply adding a layer between FO and player.

The likelihood of a coordinated effort orchestrated by the FO is small, since eventually these Broncos will become ex-Broncos, and the FO would have to trust each one of them to a vow of silence for the next 20 years. 

Players can wish they had a player on another team. They're allowed to do that. Plus the potential for actual tampering in this case is small since the Redskins aren't re-signing Cousins after the Alex Smith trade+extension.

I get the frustration if you really want Cousins to choose the Jets over Denver, but the fact is players - even multiple players at a time with a unified voice - have freedom of speech that doesn't necessarily amount to speaking for the team's front office. For some reason I feel like this has come up recently lol.

8 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

This must feel great if you're Paxton Lynch.  You're a first round pick going into your third year and your teammates are publicly recruiting Kirk Cousins.

good thing for Lynch is KFC may need another spokesperson - you think he would shave if he cared about what other people think

Archived