Browns Open to Trading No.1 Overall Pick in 2018 NFL Draft

joewilly12

6 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Duplicate thread and then a link only. Double word score.

I apologized earlier in the thread I was excited and didn't see it. 

I copied and pasted the twitter post I couldn't copy and paste the additional link, I don't know why I tried and my screen went nuts. 

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, joewilly12 said:

I apologized earlier in the thread I was excited and didn't see it. 

I copied and pasted the twitter post I couldn't copy and paste the additional link, I don't know why. 

True story, Cimini has @JetNation blocked. So we actually can't read his tweets. Damn you Rich why must you keep your wisdom from us?

30 minutes ago, gEYno said:

And, what if you're unhappy about the one who makes it to 4?  Or, what if the one who makes it to 4 busts?  Then, you still have no QB for the receiver you drafted at 1.

The Browns will have to do the calculus on how many QB's they're comfortable with taking @ 4.  

But if they've already leaked they're willing to trade the #1 overall then my thinking is the Browns believe they can get a quarterback prospect they like @ 4.

Take Barkley one, watch the Giants take one of the QB's @ 2, the Colts go with a non-qb player @ 3 and then it's your team back again @ 4 with only one quarterback gone.  

It's a gamble, but not a terribly irresponsible one, especially if there are two or three quarterbacks you're comfortable with at pick four.  

If the Browns were smart they would use the Number 1 pick on Barkley and then take a QB with their next pick insuring them an amazing backfield for the next 10-15 years. Then they can realize their coach is an Idiot and they can bring in a real coach with a very talented young roster and what still amounts to a lot of draft picks and good cap space
If the browns were smart they wouldn't have the number one pick two years in a row...what they need to do is just say screw it and draft darnold with the number one pick and Mayfield at 4...their fan base deserves a real franchise qb as much as ours does they should just swing twice here and hope one pans out

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, gEYno said:

FA to solidify the offensive line, to protect your investment at QB.  Otherwise, no reason to sign any bad contracts, and most of FA is bad contracts.

Exactly how Parcells turned around our franchise in 2 short years Signing Mawae Cox Martin Marshall Elliot couple of other players I'm Missing but yeah I agree FA is always a crap shoot especially the big contracts when players like MO just give up.  But the bottom line IMHO is only the good coaches in the NFL which seem to be few and far between can mold a team and have it perform with the right FA moves.

Then again I feel great coaching is the most important aspect of the game going neck and neck with the QB or possibly even surpassing the QB in importance ex: Jeff Fisher compared to what McVay did with the same QB and roster

1 hour ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

The Browns will have to do the calculus on how many QB's they're comfortable with taking @ 4.  

But if they've already leaked they're willing to trade the #1 overall then my thinking is the Browns believe they can get a quarterback prospect they like @ 4.

Take Barkley one, watch the Giants take one of the QB's @ 2, the Colts go with a non-qb player @ 3 and then it's your team back again @ 4 with only one quarterback gone.  

It's a gamble, but not a terribly irresponsible one, especially if there are two or three quarterbacks you're comfortable with at pick four.  

You think the colts don’t trade out if one of Rosen/Darnold is on the board?  Or just take them because Luck is broken?

You really willing, after never having a QB in franchise Hx, to go with Baker Mayfield or Josh Allen and a RB?  Both of whom have huge bust potential?  At worst, you take Rosen/Darnold and then decide if you want Barkley at 4, because he’ll still be there.

1 hour ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Besides his size/speed combination, Barkleys receiving ability is special.  

And if you were the Browns and you had the #1 and the #4, you might, for strategic reasons, take Barkley first and then see which of the quarterbacks makes it to four.   

Thats what id do. 

If they are not on a major upswing with all these picks post 2018, the are a sseiohsly cursed organization 

There is way too much pressure on the Jets to come away with a franchise QB from this draft that only bad things can come from it.  I look at these prospects and I am not sure any of them can be Super Bowl QBs.  They have been over hyped all year.  TBH I dont really like any of them but if I had to choose it would be Darnold.  Having said that there is no way in hell I would trade the farm to move up to #1 for him.  We had a chance to tank and get a #1 spot and we blew it - own it - deal with it.  There are way too many holes to fill and they all cannot be filled via free agency.  I dont think anyone has a grasp of how bad the Jets roster is from top to bottom.  Bringing in a Cousins or a Darnold is not going to make us a playoff contender next year.

If I was the Jets GM I would stay at 6 and take the BPA unless there is a big offer to trade down.  Re-sign McCown, bring in Bridgewater and draft a QB in the 3rd  or 4th round.

30 minutes ago, gEYno said:

You think the colts don’t trade out if one of Rosen/Darnold is on the board?  Or just take them because Luck is broken?

You really willing, after never having a QB in franchise Hx, to go with Baker Mayfield or Josh Allen and a RB?  Both of whom have huge bust potential?  At worst, you take Rosen/Darnold and then decide if you want Barkley at 4, because he’ll still be there.

Luck's health is the wildcard in all this; I'd definitely concede that the Browns better do their opposition research on the Colts to make sure that they're sticking with their quarterback before attempting a move like this.  

But if they're confident the Colts are sticking with Luck, and the Browns are of the opinion that none of these quarterback prospects are clean enough to warrant the first overall (and that there's not much separating each of them), then why not?  

Besides, I think both the Giants and the Colts are likely landing spots for Barkley if he's there.  Barkley's tape is excellent, he's an all-around talent (size/speed freak, elusiveness, receiving ability), he has a clean injury history and he just blew the doors off the combine.  You want to protect Luck in his comeback or stretch Eli's window to the max?  You draft Barkley and give him 300 touches a year for his first three seasons.  

And the Browns could do the same for whichever quarterback falls to four.  Hell, if they're one of the teams (or people like me) that think Lamar Jackson is an underrated passer and an undervalued commodity, they could take Barkley first and then Jackson @ 4.  Then if I'm the Browns I'd be signing a veteran like Keenum or McCown and running my offense through Barkley a la Kansas City with Hunt/Smith/Maholmes but with Barkley/Keenum/Jackson. 

I'll make it official; that last scenario is the one I think the Browns the should take: Barkley @ 1, Jackson @ 4, sign Keenum to start 2018.

23 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Thats what id do. 

If they are not on a major upswing with all these picks post 2018, the are a sseiohsly cursed organization 

Yea they've got no excuses after this draft (and last years I believe they were loaded too).  

54 minutes ago, deucebag said:

There is way too much pressure on the Jets to come away with a franchise QB from this draft that only bad things can come from it.  I look at these prospects and I am not sure any of them can be Super Bowl QBs.  They have been over hyped all year.  TBH I dont really like any of them but if I had to choose it would be Darnold.  Having said that there is no way in hell I would trade the farm to move up to #1 for him.  We had a chance to tank and get a #1 spot and we blew it - own it - deal with it.  There are way too many holes to fill and they all cannot be filled via free agency.  I dont think anyone has a grasp of how bad the Jets roster is from top to bottom.  Bringing in a Cousins or a Darnold is not going to make us a playoff contender next year.

If I was the Jets GM I would stay at 6 and take the BPA unless there is a big offer to trade down.  Re-sign McCown, bring in Bridgewater and draft a QB in the 3rd  or 4th round.

Agreed Darnold is the guy if you trade up. Others you just wait 

13 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

Outside of QB, what premium position/player is worth it at 6 right now? Corner?

I don’t know how this thing is going to pan out but Chubb.  I guess thats a good point, not a great top half of this draft.  Maybe Ward/Fitzpatrick though I would puke.  Tackle if there is one.  

13 hours ago, Pcola said:

Most years I would agree with you.  But Barkley is so much better than all of the other prospects, that this year is different.  This guy has better tools than Zeke Elliott without the off the field problems.  Unless he goes to the Browns, he is going to be the best RB in the league immediately.

Immediately?  That’s bold.  He’s probably a better WR than a RB. 

12 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yeah that was probably hyperbole because if he goes to Cle or the NYG that won’t be the case.  But seeing the impact that Elliott, Fournette, Kareem Hunt, and Kamara have made the past season or two, he is bigger, stronger, and faster than all of them.

4 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Assume Darnold would jump for joy on Broncos trade up - would seem to be a good fit 

I think it was put out a week or two ago that Denver would be going after Rosen.  Best fundamentally sound QB and his politics would be a huge plus in cities like Boulder.

1 minute ago, Pcola said:

I think it was put out a week or two ago that Denver would be going after Rosen.  Best fundamentally sound QB and his politics would be a huge plus in cities like Boulder.

I think it will be the jets jumping to 3 to grab Rosen.  I think the giants will take Barkley, and the broncos will get cousins.  If Indy wants Chubb the jets could trade to 4 or 5.  

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I think it will be the jets jumping to 3 to grab Rosen.  I think the giants will take Barkley, and the broncos will get cousins.  If Indy wants Chubb the jets could trade to 4 or 5.  

I hope you are right.  Cousins and the NYGs control the next 10 years of Jets football.  But 5 wins is SOOO much better than 2.

22 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Interesting - figured Darnold would be very comfortable in that organization with Elway as a mentor, but agree Rosen is the better prospect

On 3/1/2018 at 8:02 PM, Grandy said:

The thing is, they like Allen & Mayfield. They could still take them at 4 or 6, and add even more draft picks.

Not really because they don't know who anyone else likes - When you have the first choice you don't play games.  

They would be beyond foolish to trade that pick. 

7 hours ago, JiF said:

Barkley is such a dynamic runner he just has to go in the top 4 or 5 picks but you are right about his receiving skills. He is such a threat as a receiver he is gonna give NFL DCs nightmares.

Archived