Browns Open to Trading No.1 Overall Pick in 2018 NFL Draft

joewilly12

John Dorsey: Browns Open to Trading No. 1 Overall Pick in 2018 NFL Draft

ADAM WELLSMARCH 1, 2018

Cleveland Browns general manager John Dorsey speaks during a press conference at the NFL football scouting combine in Indianapolis, Thursday, March 1, 2018. (AP Photo/Michael Conroy)
Michael Conroy/Associated Press

With two of the first four picks in the 2018 NFL draft, Cleveland Brownsgeneral manager John Dorsey is open to making a trade. 

Per NFL.com's Gregg Rosenthal, Dorsey said the Browns' door is "wide-open" to deal the No. 1 overall pick.

"Give me a call and see what's up," he said. 

Cleveland secured the No. 1 overall pick after going 0-16 last season. It added the Houston Texans' first-round pick last year when the Texans moved up 13 spots to select Deshaun Watson. 

Predraft prognostications have the Browns selecting a quarterback with their first pick. B/R's Matt Miller has USC star Sam Darnold going to Cleveland at No. 1 overall in his most recent mock draft.

The Browns would also have the luxury of using the No. 4 pick on a quarterback if that's the direction they choose to go. Darnold, UCLA's Josh Rosen, Wyoming's Josh Allen and Oklahoma's Baker Mayfield are all potential first-round talents. 

The last time a team traded the No. 1 overall pick was the Tennessee Titans in 2016. They received six picks from the Los Angeles Rams, who used the top pick to select quarterback Jared Goff.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

It’s in the Combine thread already big dog.

Dammit  I'm sorry I was so excited I didn't think to look others made the same mistakes today starting threads when already posted in other threads. 

I guess I'm so pumped up that the chance to finally get a franchise QB might finally be happening. 

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Dammit  I'm sorry I was so excited I didn't think to look others made the same mistakes today starting threads when already posted in other threads. 

I guess I'm so pumped up that the chance to finally get a franchise QB might finally be happening. 

All good. It’s not much of news to me though. Browns probably would need to be blown away in order to trade it though. Similar to the Giants and the #2 pick yesterday.

If the Browns were smart they would use the Number 1 pick on Barkley and then take a QB with their next pick insuring them an amazing backfield for the next 10-15 years. Then they can realize their coach is an Idiot and they can bring in a real coach with a very talented young roster and what still amounts to a lot of draft picks and good cap space

7 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

If the Browns were smart they would use the Number 1 pick on Barkley and then take a QB with their next pick insuring them an amazing backfield for the next 10-15 years. Then they can realize their coach is an Idiot and they can bring in a real coach with a very talented young roster and what still amounts to a lot of draft picks and good cap space

I don't think it's smart to draft Barkley at all in that way.  Draft the QB you like best 1 and with 4 take Chubb.  Draft Sony Michel with the 1st pick of the 2nd.

2 minutes ago, adb280z said:

I don't think it's smart to draft Barkley at all in that way.  Draft the QB you like best 1 and with 4 take Chubb.  Draft Sony Michel with the 1st pick of the 2nd.

Or trade with the idiot Jets, and select the BAP QB left at #4 (Mayfield?), get Barkley at #6, and select THREE players in round 2 after getting both Jets 2nd Rounders, and have the 2019 Jets #1 to go with your own #1.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Or trade with the idiot Jets, and select the BAP QB left at #4 (Mayfield?), get Barkley at #6, and select THREE players in round 2 after getting both Jets 2nd Rounders, and have the 2019 Jets #1 to go with your own #1.

And if Rosen or Darnold become a star and Mayfield becomes Manziel who's the idiot?  

Always the team you root for apparently. 

19 minutes ago, adb280z said:

Sony Michel is one of the only top RBs the Jets are NOT meeting with.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Deal new threads are awesome. I don't follow huge threads and highlights in their own threads are always appreciated. 

The Browns have an even worse history than the Jets in selecting a QB, and their QB is Kizer.   They need a QB.

They have a well-respected scout as a GM, and a consultant in Scot McCloughan (however you spell it).

But Mac is going to trade a boat load of draft picks to Cleveland to pick a QB at 1 so Cleveland can presumably pick the one they really want at 4, 6 or 33.  

Nothing can go wrong with that plan.

I think this was another GM just saying the right thing. In the end I think the Browns pull the trigger on a QB at 1 and Barkley at 4. I think the Colts will be the team that looks to move back to 5 or 6. I don't know if I see any team moving all the way back to the Bills pick, that's just so far back when you can likely get a really goof offer from the Broncos or Jets and still get one of the top non-QBs.

23 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The Browns are not trading that pick. Sure they'll listen, why wouldn't they but they ned a QB and hvae their choice.

The thing is, they like Allen & Mayfield. They could still take them at 4 or 6, and add even more draft picks.

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

I've heard of this possibility for the Browns and I think it's nuts. Prioritizing a RB over a QB aint happening.

I don't care how special Barkley is. He's still just a running back. And the Browns are desperate for a QB.

They'll go Darnold/Rosen at #1 and hope that Barkley is there at #4 (but won't lose sleep if he's not)

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Was hoping to keep one of our 2nd round picks. But I'll take Darnold/Rosen at #1 over Allen/Mayfield at #6 any day.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

When you can't think of a smart reply, buttfumble for Warfish.  You're a loser 

3 hours ago, adb280z said:

I say pick Barkley first because the Giants are looking at him with the #2 pick so in that case if you Pick Barkley you still have the chance to pick Josh Allen at 4 which it is rumored the Browns are hot on at the moment

1 hour ago, RichardTodd27 said:

I've heard of this possibility for the Browns and I think it's nuts. Prioritizing a RB over a QB aint happening.

I don't care how special Barkley is. He's still just a running back. And the Browns are desperate for a QB.

They'll go Darnold/Rosen at #1 and hope that Barkley is there at #4 (but won't lose sleep if he's not)

"Still Just a RB ?"  thats pretty funny

Well you can Pose that Question to 90 % of all SB winners that had dynamic RB's on their squads and the Dynasties of the 70's Steelers with Harris the 90's Cowboys with Smith, The 70's Cowboys with Dorsett, The Niners Dynasties with Craig and Watters The greatest show on Turf with Marshall Faulk The Redskins with John Riggins. The list is long but there are even teams who didn't win SB's who had great RB's and were always in the playoff Picture. 

Not to mention if you have a great RB it takes all that pressure off your young QB or any QB for that matter.. Ask Drew Brees how much a great RB helps him especially one that can also pick up a blitz. They give a QB so many options beyond just the called play and are a great safety valve. Teams like the Jets that basically ignore the position have been and always will be sh*t on offense as long as they take that approach

38 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

"Still Just a RB ?"  thats pretty funny

Well you can Pose that Question to 90 % of all SB winners that had dynamic RB's on their squads and the Dynasties of the 70's Steelers with Harris the 90's Cowboys with Smith, The 70's Cowboys with Dorsett, The Niners Dynasties with Craig and Watters The greatest show on Turf with Marshall Faulk The Redskins with John Riggins. The list is long but there are even teams who didn't win SB's who had great RB's and were always in the playoff Picture. 

Not to mention if you have a great RB it takes all that pressure off your young QB or any QB for that matter.. Ask Drew Brees how much a great RB helps him especially one that can also pick up a blitz. They give a QB so many options beyond just the called play and are a great safety valve. Teams like the Jets that basically ignore the position have been and always will be sh*t on offense as long as they take that approach

A great RB is fantastic to have and Barkley is just that, but it would be incredibly stupid to pass on a QB at 1 for a RB unless you like the top 3 QBs and don't care which you get at 4.

2 hours ago, RichardTodd27 said:

Was hoping to keep one of our 2nd round picks. But I'll take Darnold/Rosen at #1 over Allen/Mayfield at #6 any day.

You'll be taking Darnold/Rosen > Whomever at #6, Whomever in the 2nd, Whomever in the 2nd, and Whomever in the 2019 Top 15 Pick we're likely to have.

If you're ok with that, ok.  I get the desperation.  Willing to reach for any straw to finally solve this QB problem here.

Knowing Macc, and the risks of these prospects, I wouldn't do it.  But I get why others would.  

Darnold is the only quarterback I'd consider trading up for and I'm still not quite sold it would be worth the price.  

Like a lot of people have already said in this thread, we'd likely have to give up both seconds this year and our first next year.  If you think the guy is truly elite, then I think it's worth it.  If Darnold ends up performing at the Philip Rivers/Kirk Cousins tier of quarterbacks, then we gave up too much. 

I'm not sold yet.     

Archived