B/R's Matt Miller Reports Kirk Cousins Is Deciding Between Vikings and Jets

NYJets8

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regardless of whether the Jets land Cousins or not, I just wish this damn saga was over so that we can move on.  While I don't like the idea of paying a fortune to what is probably the NFL's 8th or 10th best QB....I do love the fact that it will completely unlock the Jets draft to use the #6 and those two 2nd rounders on BPA.  A little trade down from #6 and the Jets still snag a Quenton Nelson or Calvin Ridley to kickstart this offense!

Read an article where Minny is worried about keeping their defense together ($$) if they sign Cousins. They also did not tender Jeremiah Sirles , who played both G and ROT positions and started 11 games in 2016 to save the $1.9 mil. for Cousins. 

8 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Why would the Vikes offer him that kind of money?  They could have signed Keenam for half that?  A guy who won 13 reg season games. 

I think Keenum was a one-hit wonder, and I bet the Vikings think that too.   I bet he NEVER reproduces those numbers again, and I wouldn't be willing to spend $15-20 million a year to find out if he could.

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Regardless of whether the Jets land Cousins or not, I just wish this damn saga was over so that we can move on.  While I don't like the idea of paying a fortune to what is probably the NFL's 8th or 10th best QB....I do love the fact that it will completely unlock the Jets draft to use the #6 and those two 2nd rounders on BPA.  A little trade down from #6 and the Jets still snag a Quenton Nelson or Calvin Ridley to kickstart this offense!

You are correct the saga needs to be over quickly. May end up playing against  the Jets but if Cousins is given an offer a time frame needs to be attached. Jets can not afford to have themselves played and used to get Minnesota to up their offer. Minnesota would be wise to play hardball also. Take it or leave it should be the mantra.

Just now, Bocajetfan said:

You are correct the saga needs to be over quickly. May end up playing against  the Jets but if Cousins is given an offer a time frame needs to be attached. Jets can not afford to have themselves played and used to get Minnesota to up their offer. Minnesota would be wise to play hardball also. Take it or leave it should be the mantra.

It should be over quickly because he's holding up the market for everybody else

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

DEN's receiver E. Sanders is lobbying on twitter for Cousins. Jets receiver Anderson is lobbing n-bombs at hall of famers.

Mr. Cousins, your move. 

No worries. We have Damien Woody, our old RT, lobbying for us. That should do it.

6 minutes ago, varjet said:

I am feeling like Cousin's contract comes in lower than expected.  Less than $30mm/year.  

Unless the Jets bid against themselves.  

If the Vikings deal is true that is 3 years $91M why would Cousins look lower than that? I think we'd guarantee it longer, I don't think he'd go for less than that though.

23 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

You'd get a way bigger house for the money and have really good school systems. I think the Vikings make more sense, I was just implying that he doesn't seem like a city guy.

We all know you can play for the Jets and don’t even have to step foot in the city if you don’t want to, living on the Jersey side. 

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Cost us more in losing development, something most fans don't take into account.  Or what a HC loses in the locker by throwing a season.  Every single player was dead set against the idea of a tank.  Guess why, it's not how players are wired. 

Tradingfor a pick and then possibly trading it away is wrong?   Since when. Hypocrisy?  Oh because we could have tanked.  For which can't miss prospect?   

If you agree we should definitely not trade the farm to move up a few spots we are in total agreement. Draft picks are gold if you want to succeed in the nfl. Having good young players under rookie deals, instead of just overpaid often injured vets is crucial in nfl. Especially since we have missed so much in previous drafts. Like I said, I was thrilled mac was giving up win now player for a future draft pick. Throwing a season ? Not spending anything, cutting or trading valuable win now players isn’t considered throwing a season ? Mac didn’t go after a top qb last yr for a reason. He wasn’t clearing cap and roster just so he could bring in a good qb who had nobody to win with. McCown doing so well was a calculated mistake. Petty or hac were suppose to be close to beating him out. The plan was to put them in after a few games even if McCown won the job in camp. Anyway, we can pretend that wasn’t the plan all day.. Atleast we agree we shouldn’t trade high valued picks to move up to a place we should have been, for a player who is not worth the price.

29 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

You'd get a way bigger house for the money and have really good school systems. I think the Vikings make more sense, I was just implying that he doesn't seem like a city guy.

If it were me, I'd choose Minny too. Taxes HAVE to be less than NY/NJ. Let's face it, his WIFE will decide cause" if momma ain't happy ain't nobody happy. "

17 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

If it were me, I'd choose Minny too. Taxes HAVE to be less than NY/NJ. Let's face it, his WIFE will decide cause" if momma ain't happy ain't nobody happy. "

I think one thing that can't be over looked is that he is still a relatively short distance away from DC. A lot of big moments happened for him there so maybe if he doesn't want to totally uproot his family then he would consider. He's a mid west guy though, he makes too much sense for the Vikings. I think we are only being used as leverage, if we are out of the running then his price likely won't get AS high.

39 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I think one thing that can't be over looked is that he is still a relatively short distance away from DC. A lot of big moments happened for him there so maybe if he doesn't want to totally uproot his family then he would consider. He's a mid west guy though, he makes too much sense for the Vikings. I think we are only being used as leverage, if we are out of the running then his price likely won't get AS high.

Yup that all makes sense. We'll know in a few weeks. I just hope it doesn't drag on.

1 hour ago, Thai Jet said:

Give her a reality show but only if she comes to NY. Come on Macc get creative.

3 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

If he does take Fitz, even tho he's a Crimson Tider, I'll personally lead the lynch mob of Mac.

7 (i think) consecutive defensive first round picks. Defensive-minded HC. Terrible defense. 

Only the Jets.

12 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

We all know you can play for the Jets and don’t even have to step foot in the city if you don’t want to, living on the Jersey side. 

Jersey taxes are higher than NY. What I just learned from one of the articles assessing Cousins' options is that he would maintain a home in Michigan if he played for Minnesota. Minnesota apparently grants residents of Michigan who work in Minnesota the privilege of paying Michigan state taxes. That's a difference of 5% (4.5% Michigan; 9.73% Minnesota). Not a minor dollar amount on a yearly basis. I honestly can't see why Cousins would not select Minnesota at this point. They can give him 30 million a year (How much guaranteed?), are a solid contender with a stable and respected coaching staff in a new stadium close to his home state. I'm trying to think of why, if I was Cousins, I would tweak out a few million more from the Jets only to give it back in taxes and high housing costs, not to mention a rebuilding franchise. Seems a no brainer at this point.

Quincy EnunwaVerified account @QuincyEnunwa

As much as I know everyone wants us to have him I’m not going to disrespect the QBs currently on the roster and make them feel less competent. If he wants to come we’ll show him why the team didn’t go 0-16 like everyone thought we’d be last yea

So even the players had that expectation foisted upon them

6 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Jersey taxes are higher than NY. What I just learned from one of the articles assessing Cousins' options is that he would maintain a home in Michigan if he played for Minnesota. Minnesota apparently grants residents of Michigan who work in Minnesota the privilege of paying Michigan state taxes. That's a difference of 5% (4.5% Michigan; 9.73% Minnesota). Not a minor dollar amount on a yearly basis. I honestly can't see why Cousins would not select Minnesota at this point. They can give him 30 million a year (How much guaranteed?), are a solid contender with a stable and respected coaching staff in a new stadium close to his home state. I'm trying to think of why, if I was Cousins, I would tweak out a few million more from the Jets only to give it back in taxes and high housing costs, not to mention a rebuilding franchise. Seems a no brainer at this point.

Also consider the SALT deduction was capped. Not sure that even matters when you're that rich though.

Archived