Connecting the Draft Dots

choon328

3 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Thats fair. I do think those are the best two QBs in the draft. I just think the Giants are going to pick Barkley or Chubb. Because I think their roster and free agents say they are trying to make one more run with Eli. But I could be totally wrong about that.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Gettleman has spoken too much about barkley, I still think the goal is to get the browns to take him so they get darnold.  But i can also see the giants taking Rosen if darnold is gone.  I’m sick of the debates, just want the draft.  But i still don’t see the jets taking allen, that’s the one prediction i feel comfortable making.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Greensleeves said:

This would be best case scenario for me and for the Jets IMO. The best pocket passer in the draft, great fit for New York, plus, none of the top 4 QBs go to anyone in our division.

+1

I sincerely hope the Jets didn't trade up to #3 just to pass on the best pure QB in the Draft because they're afraid he could get hurt.

21 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Like it or not i think part of the money is to train the rookie qb.  And which rookie qbs need the most guidance with social/maturity:  Rosen and mayfield.  Which qbs fit bates’ system the best:  Rosen and mayfield. Which qbs are most likely to be there at #3:  Rosen and mayfield.  

This is gobbledygook.

Just now, Augustiniak said:

Gettleman has spoken too much about barkley, I still think the goal is to get the browns to take him so they get darnold.  But i can also see the giants taking Rosen if darnold is gone.  I’m sick of the debates, just want the draft.  But i still don’t see the jets taking allen, that’s the one prediction i feel comfortable making.

I tend to agree that the Jets won't take Allen - if he's there they should - but they won't....Just too scared.

But who the heck knows - Thursday can't get here soon enough!

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

+1

I sincerely hope the Jets didn't trade up to #3 just to pass on the best pure QB in the Draft because they're afraid he could get hurt.

That is actually a real thing though - there are players more naturally injury prone than others.  

It would be neglectful to not take injury history and potential seriously into account.

Just now, FidelioJet said:

That is actually a real thing though - there are players more naturally injury prone than others.  

It would be neglectful to not take injury history and potential seriously into account.

Agree 100%.  You have to take it into account but I think it's a little overblown with Rosen.

I feel like since the college football season ended and everyone had this Draft as Darnold/Rosen people have been trying to talk themselves out of Rosen and trying to elevate guys like Mayfield and Allen.  It just confuses me that watching Allen throw the ball 90 yards to uncovered WRs while wearing shorts now has everyone thinking he's a great draft pick and, in some cases, should go #1.

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

Agree 100%.  You have to take it into account but I think it's a little overblown with Rosen.

I feel like since the college football season ended and everyone had this Draft as Darnold/Rosen people have been trying to talk themselves out of Rosen and trying to elevate guys like Mayfield and Allen.  It just confuses me that watching Allen throw the ball 90 yards to uncovered WRs while wearing shorts now has everyone thinking he's a great draft pick and, in some cases, should go #1.

Shorts and tees so many are Hall of Famers in shorts and tees. 

Just now, jetstream23 said:

Draft Twitter has been watching Rosen for three years. They’ve been watching Josh Allen for fifteen minutes. 

To me, the most important quality of these 4 QBs is who can process the information on the field the quickest. That's the QB I want - one that can go through his progressions and select the open receiver. That's why I want Rosen. Brady isn't the most naturally gifted QB, but he process information quickly and - very importantly - has been in the same system his whole career. Rosen, I feel, is a natural at going through his progressions. He can throw people open, which is a great skill to have.

6 hours ago, choon328 said:

Since the beginning of this draft process there has been pretty much a steady diet of either Darnold or Allen going 1 or 2 in this draft with Barkley and Chubb as an option at 2 as well as a trade out of 2. The only question was at 3 if the Jets would take Rosen or Mayfield. I would say that 2 weeks ago the large majority of mock drafts had the Jets taking Rosen in that scenario and now that has completely flipped. Why is that?

There has been this narrative out there recently that the Jets love Mayfield and he's their guy. There has been two speculated reasons as to why that narrative is the way it is. 1) The agent is trying to pump up his value, 2) The Jets can't keep a secret and tipped their hand.

After thinking about it for a while tonight I think I've come up with another reasonable narrative.  And that is this...

Since the talk of Mayfield being the Jets pick another narrative has begun and that is that Rosen will fall. Some have him going outside of the top 10 which makes no sense for the QB who in league circles is valued as the best pure QB In the draft. Without his concussions and personality being overblown (I'm sure the majority of players in the draft have had multiple concussions already) he's the #1 pick all day. So here's my theory.

The Jets have purposely inflated their love for Mayfield.  This narrative has now created buzz that Rosen may slip out of at least the top 5 and it wouldn't be necessary for a team like Denver to move to 2 or a team like Buffalo to give up all of those picks to move to 2 when they may be able to get him at 5 or 6 for much cheaper.  There was also a report by Rappaport that the Bills are now targeting the 5th pick.  This protects against the Jets losing out on their real target Josh Rosen. Since the perception is that the Giants won't let the Jets move to 2 then creating a false narrative that everybody has bitten hook line and sinker is the natural play here. Thanks for reading.

Don't discount the mmqsi writer that has been doing a weekly series of articles following Mayfield's draft process and his recent prediction of putting $$ on mayfield being the Jets pick.  Now lo and behold what is the SI cover leading up to the draft, "Mayfield" so now 250K NYers will want to buy this week's SI.

Mayfield is the peoples choice. he's their size, cocky, brash, Heisman winner..and talented. Rosen comes across VIA the MEDIA as the California cool, arrogant, loud mouth, no heart, spoiled rich kid.  

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I do get it - but honestly, I can't get past a guy that hasn't finished each of his last two seasons in college....I have zero confidence that guy can get through a 17 week NFL schedule (plus playoffs)

As for Allen - I feel like I keep saying this over and over again - watch his game film - he's really impressive if you take into the account the pressure he sees and lack of separtion his receivers get.  

I just think the Allen hate around here is completely overblown - there' a reason he's considered a top prospect...and to be clear - he's been considered one of the top 3 since last year - it's not like he's just come on since the senior bowl.  

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

I do get it - but honestly, I can't get past a guy that hasn't finished each of his last two seasons in college....I have zero confidence that guy can get through a 17 week NFL schedule (plus playoffs)

As for Allen - I feel like I keep saying this over and over again - watch his game film - he's really impressive if you take into the account the pressure he sees and lack of separtion his receivers get.  

I just think the Allen hate around here is completely overblown - there' a reason he's considered a top prospect...and to be clear - he's been considered one of the top 3 since last year - it's not like he's just come on since the senior bowl.  

I first mentioned Josh Allen awhile ago I think during the 2017 NFL season I don't know how to search the for the thread I started. 

Big tall strong armed QB. 

May the best be drafted to QB the NY Jets not sure who it is but hoping for the best. 

If you were playing a game of pick up Football and need to pick captains who naturally would also play QB, knowing nothing about the Big 4, you’re picking Allen. 

You would laugh at Mayfield.  Think Rosen was slow and not give Darnold a chance becaue he is a ginger.  

I’ve decided this is the best way to determine who to pick and I’m all for it now. 

3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

#2. We have Rosen who's suffered 2 concussions this year, Teddy Bridgewater who's on a "show me" deal given his gruesome injury history and a 40 year old QB. 

What happens if Bridgewater cant play on that knee and Rosen either suffers his 3rd concussion in a calendar year or re-injures his throwing arm adding more damage to the nerves in his shoulder? "We're stuck with a 40 year old Josh McCown as being our main guy" is what will happen. 

Its cute that you think Bowels isn't going to start McCown for a majority of the season no matter who they pick.

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

If the Jets didn't pick Hackenberg this wouldn't be as much of an issue.  The problem is at a high level (quick overview ie completion %, reasons/excuses for it) there are similarities in how Allen and Hackenberg are being described. 

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Watch Allen’s games, but only the ones against Gardner-Webb.

4D048C37-BB0B-4DA6-A605-A7CEF18035D0.png

Everyone talks about Rosen's injury history.  But those two DNPs in November -- missed due to injury to throwing shoulder.  He also missed most of the 2015 season with injury to his throwing shoulder -- broken collarbone.  And in high school, he missed part of a season with a broken collarbone.  Throwing shoulder.  3 shoulder injuries that have caused him to miss time -- all to the throwing shoulder  That is an injury history that NFL evaluators are likely to consider.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/10/josh-allens-shoulder-injuries-deserve-more-attention/

The debate over Josh Allen as the potential No. 1 overall pick is hitting fever pitch. With a little over two weeks left until the 2018 NFL Draft, many prominent pundits have projected Allen as the Cleveland Browns selection with the first pick. Many other prominent pundits, as well as some of the same who believe he’ll be the No. 1 pick, are openly critical of Allen’s poor accuracy and unrefined mental game.

One issue which seldom sees the light of day in the debate is Allen’s troubling medical history. Specifically, his oft-injured right (throwing) shoulder.

Allen has broken his right collarbone twice, including a devastating shatter fracture in his first year at Wyoming. As chronicled by the Casper Star-Tribune,

Allen also missed Wyoming’s final two regular-season games in 2017 after suffering an injury to the same shoulder in the win over Air Force. That malady was deemed a soft-tissue injury not directly related to the prior fractures or surgeries.

Given his take-no-prisoners style, nicely detailed in the Star-Tribune feature, the three prior shoulder injuries should be a more prominent focus of attention in the debate over Allen and his NFL fate.

I totally buy the scenario presented by the OP. Also think the draft goes more simply than presented.

1. Allen - The Browns are who they are. Although, to be fair I kind of like Allen and think this may be the right call from a risk reward standpoint. This has been rumored a lot both lately and early in the process. The Darnold narrative has been heavily media driven, because that’s who they expect should be taken first. Browns take the most talented guy - who’s also very bright - sit him for a year, and hope it works out. Also the best fit for the AFC North. They hope they’ve got their Roethlisberger here. Time will tell. Could be a huge error.

2. Barkley - Gettleman has basically directly stated that he wants Barkley. Two possibilities here. He either somehow wants to put pressure on the Browns to take Barkley or maybe even Chubb at 1 (i.e. you take Chubb, we’ll take Barkley, Jets go QB and you get one of your top two quarterbacks at 4) and look for a quarterback later - which I highly doubt they’d do so what’s the point if you’re the Giants - or he views the Giants as having a small window for a big time turnaround and the best way to help the offense and defense is by having a back who will allow you to take pressure off the passing game and eat clock. Entirely possible he’s playing the long game here and wants a quarterback and a full rebuild, but their signings this offseason seem to indicate they’re hoping to take a team that was supposed to be a SB contender heading into last season and rebuild on the fly. I think Barkley fits that best.

3. Darnold - I can’t tell if the Jets want Mayfield or are trying to push down Rosen as stated in the OP. Regardless, I think they take Darnold over either. Guys like Cimini who have been pushing Mayfield at 3 still seem to acknowledge Darnold tops the board. Makes sense from several levels. Macc tends to look at full bodies of work instead of the most recent year, fits the offense, fits signing vets because they’re planning to take a guy who should sit for a bit. Also the fact they scrambled to get him in late was either a cover for the fact they don’t like him but suddenly need to pretend they do or a tell that they liked him so much they didn’t expect him to be available. I think it’s the latter. Jets also have had the general media top position player slip to them a couple times, this time it happens at QB. Plus the entire whole Mayfield vs. Allen vs. Rosen debate we’ve been having on this board being completely moot would be hysterical. 

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I would bet money that this is how it goes:

1. Browns: Darnold—Prevailing rumor is they’re torn between Allen and Darnold. I’m guessing that Darnold checks a few more boxes than Allen does and Dorsey, along with OC/Future Interim HC Todd Haley, takes the safer bet.

2. Giants: Rosen—Prevailing rumor is Saquon Barkley or Trade Out. I don’t see how it makes any sense to pass on a QB when you have a new regime inheriting a nearly washed-up QB going into a season where they’d realistically be lucky to start out 2-5. The new HC is a nerd QB guru, the new OC is a nerd QB guru, and Rosen is a nerd QB. Also factor in that the Giants can save $17 million against the cap by dumping Eli after this season, and aren’t going to give him another contract anyway. Gettleman’s heart may be set on the ground and pound, but his brain—and everyone else in the organization with a vote—doesn’t let him screw this pick up.

3. Jets: Allen—Prevailing rumor has been Mayfield! Mayfield! Mayfield! Allen has become the human trophy in the ongoing war between Analaytics Geeks and Football Guyz and the Jets, under Maccagnan, haven’t shown a shred of interest in applying analytics at ANY position, much less QB. The relentless screaming-from-the-mount about them being set on Mayfield was a pretty transparent and ham-fisted attempt at misdirection, and a new rumor to that effect appeared every time there was a rumor floated about the Giants possibly trading out. Bowles doesn’t want to coach any player that will actually require him to assert discipline, and Rosen and Mayfield are both high maintenance personalities. But not big ol’ Josh Allen, who’s just happy to be there (gosh golly). Allen also comes with the added bonus of not being close to ready to play, which paves the way for Bowles to keep rolling Josh McCown out there in perpetuity. 

4. Bills: Mayfield—The prevailing rumor is that the Bills are desperate to trade up for a QB and that the QB they love the most is Mayfield. At last count, the Bills have worked Mayfield out four different times, so when they see him get past the Jets, they’ll give the Browns a mess of picks to get their guy at 4. Buffalo is very much the Norman, Oklahoma of the north, so it’s a perfect marriage on many levels.

5. Broncos: Barkley—Elway would have taken Mayfield, but will get stuck with Case Keenum and Paxton Lynch as his QBs, so he supplements them both with Barkley. Barkley actually has a lot of weirdly scary stats that suggests he’s not going to be a dominant back in the pros.

I don’t think Mac drafts Allen. While he may have an upside, even Allen’s biggest fans say he is a project that may take as long as two seasons before seeing a return on this pick. Mac cannot wait that long. Either Rosen or Mayfield will be the Jets pick.

Josh Allen dishes on meetings with Jets, challenge of New York

3:45 PM ET
  • cimini_rich.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer 

Josh Allen grew up in Firebaugh, California, a two-stoplight town of 7,500 residents in the middle of a farming region. He finished his college career at Wyoming, so, yes, it could be culture shock if he's drafted by the New York Jets.

Allen said he'd relish the opportunity to play in Gotham and rescue the Jets from quarterback purgatory.

"Absolutely," he said Friday in a phone interview with ESPN. "They’re a couple of pieces away from winning a lot of football games. I really enjoyed the coaching staff and I think it would be a really good fit. I think they’ve got some weapons on offense and they have a really young defense that’s ready to win right now."

Josh Allen said he'd love to be drafted by the Jets and that he's ready to handle the New York media. Brian Spurlock/USA TODAY Sports

The Jets own the third pick in the draft. Some mock drafts project Allen to go No. 1 overall to the Cleveland Browns. If that doesn't happen, he probably will be available for the Jets, who have performed an inordinate amount of due diligence on Allen. In fact, they were the only team to travel to Laramie, Wyoming, for a private workout.

For the record, the Jets also conducted private workouts with Oklahoma's Baker Mayfield and UCLA's Josh Rosen. They skipped a private workout with USC's Sam Darnold. All four visited the Jets' facility.

ADVERTISEMENT

"First they got me on the board," said Allen, recalling his private time with Jets officials. "They gave me a quick lesson on their offense and how they handle themselves, then I went up on the board and regurgitated it back to them. I talked about some of my plays and the things we did at Wyoming. Then we went down on the field and threw a lot of footballs. They had some free agents come out and I made all the throws, so there’s no question about that."

The Jets weren't finished with Allen. They brought him to their facility for a pre-draft visit, and he met with coach Todd Bowles and offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates for the second time. He also got a chance to meet with members of he defensive staff and had a sitdown with CEO Christopher Johnson.

"I’d say he’s different from most owners," Allen said. "He said he doesn’t want to step on any toes and he wants to be his own person. He’s very down to earth. He just wants to be known as a normal guy. At the same time, he’s the owner of one of the greatest franchises in the NFL. It was kind of cool to see the perspective he has on everything. It was a blessing to meet him."

Allen is a risk-reward pick. He has "the biggest upside in the draft, a really exciting player," NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock said Friday. "Obviously, he has to learn how to be a little more accurate. He has to throw with timing and anticipation."

There are no character issues with Allen, who has an upbeat personality and is considered a good leader. During the run-up to the draft, he's working with Hyundai, promoting its “Rolling with the Rookies” series. He doesn't sound concerned about the prospect of dealing with the pressures of New York.

"I think where I come from is going to help me with a market such as New York," he said. "I’m not afraid of the media. I think I know how to handle them because I’ve been around them enough. I understand the New York media is a lot more magnified than most markets, but I’m up for that challenge. I'd definitely be suitable and I’d be primed for a market like that."

23 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Draft Twitter has been watching Rosen for three years. They’ve been watching Josh Allen for fifteen minutes. 

Allen’s been getting attention as a legitimate pro prospect for a while now. He was being discussed as a potential first round pick in last year’s draft before he decided to come back.

In a draft where everyone has their warts, I could easily see wanting to roll the dice on someone like Allen knowing he’ll miss some throws but create big plays - if that’s the kind of system you want to run.

I still think he’s going to Cleveland.

4 minutes ago, derp said:

I totally buy the scenario presented by the OP. Also think the draft goes more simply than presented.

1. Allen - The Browns are who they are. Although, to be fair I kind of like Allen and think this may be the right call from a risk reward standpoint. This has been rumored a lot both lately and early in the process. The Darnold narrative has been heavily media driven, because that’s who they expect should be taken first. Browns take the most talented guy - who’s also very bright - sit him for a year, and hope it works out. Also the best fit for the AFC North. They hope they’ve got their Roethlisberger here. Time will tell. Could be a huge error.

2. Barkley - Gettleman has basically directly stated that he wants Barkley. Two possibilities here. He either somehow wants to put pressure on the Browns to take Barkley or maybe even Chubb at 1 (i.e. you take Chubb, we’ll take Barkley, Jets go QB and you get one of your top two quarterbacks at 4) and look for a quarterback later - which I highly doubt they’d do so what’s the point if you’re the Giants - or he views the Giants as having a small window for a big time turnaround and the best way to help the offense and defense is by having a back who will allow you to take pressure off the passing game and eat clock. Entirely possible he’s playing the long game here and wants a quarterback and a full rebuild, but their signings this offseason seem to indicate they’re hoping to take a team that was supposed to be a SB contender heading into last season and rebuild on the fly. I think Barkley fits that best.

3. Darnold - I can’t tell if the Jets want Mayfield or are trying to push down Rosen as stated in the OP. Regardless, I think they take Darnold over either. Guys like Cimini who have been pushing Mayfield at 3 still seem to acknowledge Darnold tops the board. Makes sense from several levels. Macc tends to look at full bodies of work instead of the most recent year, fits the offense, fits signing vets because they’re planning to take a guy who should sit for a bit. Also the fact they scrambled to get him in late was either a cover for the fact they don’t like him but suddenly need to pretend they do or a tell that they liked him so much they didn’t expect him to be available. I think it’s the latter. Jets also have had the general media top position player slip to them a couple times, this time it happens at QB. Plus the entire whole Mayfield vs. Allen vs. Rosen debate we’ve been having on this board being completely moot would be hysterical. 

if I was mocking I would do this order. I do not think the Mayfield interest is a smokescreen. Everything really points to Mayfield as the guy but people want to twist things into a pretzel and somehow say all this is an attempt to somehow manipulate the draft to get Allen. A lot of times the simplest conclusion is the correct one and that the Jets traded to 3 to pick Mayfield but may actually have Darnold higher on their board.

Yes it is unlikely that the draft guys know too many spots where they can guarantee a player, but they are VERY good at this point in the proceedings for identifying trends across the NFL, because these guys DO talk to GMs who DO talk, because the GMs want to know what the complexion of the draft. These trends tend to be VERY accurate and while we do still get huge surprises in the draft, the pre-draft trends turn out to all be 100% true. In past drafts around this time everyone realized that Wentz and Trubisky were rocketing up boards, they recognized late that Sheldon Richardson was a late riser, they identified that Leonard Williams might fall, etc...

The late narratives we are getting are these:

1. Becoming more and more likely that Allen is the guy at 1

2. Becoming less and less likely that Giants go QB

3. All of the WRs are dropping

4. ROSEN is dropping (this has become pretty consistent)

5. Jets and Mayfield are "done deal" but Darnold might be #1 on their board

I think all of these trends pan out. It happens every draft. It is why most mocks from the really big insiders become exceedingly similar by early in this next week

22 minutes ago, derp said:

Allen’s been getting attention as a legitimate pro prospect for a while now. He was being discussed as a potential first round pick in last year’s draft before he decided to come back.

In a draft where everyone has their warts, I could easily see wanting to roll the dice on someone like Allen knowing he’ll miss some throws but create big plays - if that’s the kind of system you want to run.

I still think he’s going to Cleveland.

I think he is going to Cleveland as well. I think a couple things about Allen: He has the biggest arm in the history of the NFL AND couples that with a release as fast as Rodgers. Somehow Rosen is being lauded as the best natural thrower but I think it is Allen. Dilfer said it correctly:

Completion percentage is NOT a statistic that measures accuracy. It is an indicator of the system the QB is in, the types of throws attempted etc..It does show a little about QB anticipation which is not Alllens strength because his arm is so strong he has never had to do it.For their science and soul show Dilfer said that Allen actually tested as the most accurate of the QBs in this draft.

And he has no off the field or injury concerns. He has the biggest hands as well.

Ill be surprised if Allen is not #1

A lot of people keep saying "the narrative has always been Darnold then Rosen". That is very true. But towards the end of this evaluation process, the narrative changes. Allen and Mayfield have improved their stock, Darnold and Rosen have slipped.

We will see Thursday.

24 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I don’t think Mac drafts Allen. While he may have an upside, even Allen’s biggest fans say he is a project that may take as long as two seasons before seeing a return on this pick. Mac cannot wait that long. Either Rosen or Mayfield will be the Jets pick.

From your lips to gods ears.

48 minutes ago, JiF said:

If you were playing a game of pick up Football and need to pick captains who naturally would also play QB, knowing nothing about the Big 4, you’re picking Allen. 

You would laugh at Mayfield.  Think Rosen was slow and not give Darnold a chance becaue he is a ginger.  

I’ve decided this is the best way to determine who to pick and I’m all for it now. 

I can't say your evaluation method is any better or any worse than Maccagnan's.

7 hours ago, choon328 said:

The Jets have purposely inflated their love for Mayfield.  This narrative has now created buzz that Rosen may slip out of at least the top 5 and it wouldn't be necessary for a team like Denver to move to 2 or a team like Buffalo to give up all of those picks to move to 2 when they may be able to get him at 5 or 6 for much cheaper.  There was also a report by Rappaport that the Bills are now targeting the 5th pick.  This protects against the Jets losing out on their real target Josh Rosen. Since the perception is that the Giants won't let the Jets move to 2 then creating a false narrative that everybody has bitten hook line and sinker is the natural play here. Thanks for reading.

Not to help @T0mShane troll the hell out of you guys with all the Allen talk, but when I read this I immediately saw that another reason for the Jets to project Mayfield love is because they actually have Allen love. 

Think about it. Cleveland is rumored to like Allen the best, but also probably have a non-QB rated higher than all the other non-QBs, too, that they'd like to get between picks #1 & 4. Giants are also heavily rumored to be debating between the same two guys, Barkley and Chubb. Now if the Browns can be convinced that the Giants are deciding between Darnold, Chubb, and Barkley, and the Jets are choosing between Darnold and Mayfield, Allen would be guaranteed to be there at #4 should Cleveland take their favorite non-QB #1 - a player who would not be guaranteed to be there at #4 if they went QB first. For the Jets, if Cleveland goes non-QB #1, Allen and his big beautiful hands will be there at #3. 

Mission accomplished. 

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

And what exactly about that game film didn't you like?  I think you're looking at it with your Rosen colored glasses.

to be fair i watched that game live on TV. it was really bad. he looked like crap but he was also being abused by the Iowa pass rush. I remember walking away from the game thinking...jeez this is the great Josh Allen? now i think this game tough to go by, he nearly got killed, and his receivers were not helping him....but i couldnt really say that he was even average in this game.

The Jets weren't finished with Allen. They brought him to their facility for a pre-draft visit, and he met with coach Todd Bowles and offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates for the second time. He also got a chance to meet with members of he defensive staff and had a sitdown with CEO Christopher Johnson.

Very interesting.

Allen is a risk-reward pick. He has "the biggest upside in the draft, a really exciting player," NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock said Friday. "Obviously, he has to learn how to be a little more accurate. He has to throw with timing and anticipation."

I'm sorry but this just scares the piss out of me.  He wasn't extremely accurate in college and he "has to learn how to be more accurate."  His completion percentage at the NFL level will likely go down, not up.  Learning to throw with anticipation shouldn't be happening after college in an environment with bigger, faster, smarter defensive backs who know how to bait QBs into making throws that they can close on quickly.  I know several people disagree with me on this but for a team that has already failed at projecting two drafted QBs accurately into the NFL (Petty making a system conversion, Hack becoming more accurate after Penn State) I'm not sure why the Jets would be okay with the homerun/strikeout swing at a pitch instead of hitting a high percentage double here.

There are no character issues with Allen, who has an upbeat personality and is considered a good leader. During the run-up to the draft, he's working with Hyundai, promoting its “Rolling with the Rookies” series. He doesn't sound concerned about the prospect of dealing with the pressures of New York.

"I think where I come from is going to help me with a market such as New York," he said. "I’m not afraid of the media. I think I know how to handle them because I’ve been around them enough. I understand the New York media is a lot more magnified than most markets, but I’m up for that challenge. I'd definitely be suitable and I’d be primed for a market like that."

I think he'd do fine here from a media standpoint.  In fact, Allen would probably handle the pressure of early failure and hiccups better than the other guys, especially Mayfield and Rosen.  I like his personality, I like his physical attributes and out-of-this-world arm.  I'm just not sure I can stomach watching him throw two 75-yard TDs and 4 INTs in the same game.

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Did you see this thread... 

You're suggesting Reason #2 in the thread I linked and I definitely think that's it for the reasons I stated.  This has been the Darnold and Rosen draft for the better part of 24 months.  Those have always been "the guys" and things only changed AFTER the college football season ended and we entered speculation, misinformation and uninformed opinion season!  Rosen shouldn't go lower than #2 in this Draft.

I actually didn't see that thread. Great minds think alike

2 hours ago, C Mart said:

Don't discount the mmqsi writer that has been doing a weekly series of articles following Mayfield's draft process and his recent prediction of putting $$ on mayfield being the Jets pick.  Now lo and behold what is the SI cover leading up to the draft, "Mayfield" so now 250K NYers will want to buy this week's SI.

Mayfield is the peoples choice. he's their size, cocky, brash, Heisman winner..and talented. Rosen comes across VIA the MEDIA as the California cool, arrogant, loud mouth, no heart, spoiled rich kid.  

Nobody will care about any of that if Rosen performs. And people will be even quicker to hate Mayfield and his cockiness if he doesn't perform, just like Rex.

Archived