Whose career would you rather have?

HawkeyeJet

So I  watching the HOF game from the other night and started thinking about Chase Daniel.  He is a guy that seems to be really highly thought of, even though he's never really done anything.

Then it lead me to ask myself, which career would I rather have, Chase Daniel or say Vince Young?

Both are in the same ballpark(Young more though) in career earnings.

With Young, you had some early success with a ROY and 2 Pro Bowls, but ultimately you are considered a huge disappointment by most and you didn't last nearly as long in the NFL.

On Daniel side, you kind of are widely considered better by the general public than you likely are.  You have made a great living with little expectations as a backup, and you have always carried the label of someone who just "needed the chance in the right system".

It's the offseason and in bored so figured this would be interesting.  There is no right answer.  I think I'd probably lean toward Daniel.

Young definitely had the more glorified start and a more fun path to the nfl. But I’m pretty sure I last read was that he went bankrupt. 

Its kinda like would you rather be that cool kid in college, who has crazy stories for days, who got it all but then became a nobody. Or be the guy who blended in, enjoyed himself and went on to have a sustainable career. 

So with that I’ll take both and choose Matt Lienart. ?

I'll take the career of Donnie Jones.

Who is Donnie Jones you ask?  He's the Eagles punter who kicked the ball once in the Super Bowl, has rarely taken a hit or been tackled, has made very good money (upwards of $10M in career earnings) and now has a shiny Super Bowl ring.  He also was involved in the last play of the 2003 National Championship win for his LSU Tigers over Oklahoma when he punted the ball on the final play of the game to ensure victory.

This guys is #winning

Super Bowl

Screen Shot 2018-08-04 at 11.53.34 AM.png

Are we including their college career too? I know it's not NFL or earnings but personally being a college football legend (which Young is) adds something to the equation. VY may be a bust in the NFL but he'll be a hero in Texas until the end of time... Chase Daniel was pretty nondescript in college.

Vince Young has a far worse TD/INT ratio than our very own Mark Sanchez. 

Vince Young was a prolific college QB and that Rose Bowl was amazing...but let’s be honest... the most TD’s he has ever thrown in one season is 12 and that was his rookie season. This guy peaked in his rookie season with 12 TD’s against 13 INT’s.

Just terrible pro career. Awful. 

I’ll take Chase by a mile.

18 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Vince Young has a far worse TD/INT ratio than our very own Mark Sanchez. 

Vince Young was a prolific college QB and that Rose Bowl was amazing...but let’s be honest... the most TD’s he has ever thrown in one season is 12 and that was his rookie season. This guy peaked in his rookie season with 12 TD’s against 13 INT’s.

Just terrible pro career. Awful. 

I’ll take Chase by a mile.

Chase daniel has thrown one td in 8 nfl seasons.  Hahahaha.

Vince Young was the king of the world at one point.  What a stupid conversation.

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

Vince Young was the king of the world at one point.  What a stupid conversation.

Never was king of the world in the NFL imo. Just won that rookie offensive player of the year award because he rushed for some touchdowns too. Chase Daniels is a guy who is just as sorry of a player but never got the chance to show he was bad.

4 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

So I  watching the HOF game from the other night and started thinking about Chase Daniel.  He is a guy that seems to be really highly thought of, even though he's never really done anything.

Then it lead me to ask myself, which career would I rather have, Chase Daniel or say Vince Young?

With Young, you had some early success with a ROY and 2 Pro Bowls, but ultimately you are considered a huge disappointment by most and you didn't last nearly as long in the NFL.

On Daniel side, you kind of are widely considered better by the general public than you likely are.  You have made a great living with little expectations as a backup, and you have always carried the label of someone who just "needed the chance in the right system".

It's the offseason and in bored so figured this would be interesting.  There is no right answer.  I think I'd probably lean toward Daniel.

Even though Vince Young had one of the single greatest performances in college football on the biggest stage against Matt Leinhart and Reggie Bush, his public and humiliating meltdown(s) sorta cancel that out.

25 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

That's the point of the whole discussion.  Young was never the king of the NFL(I was talking NFL career, that's why I pointed out salary), and whatever he was at his best, people don't remember him as. He's widely viewed as a enormous failure in the NFL.

Daniel on the other hand has a reputation that actually exceeds his accomplishments.  

So you would rather be the guy that is consider by most a failure?  Not saying that's wrong, just interesting.

Vince Young without a doubt. Not sure how this is even debatable. The only reason to knock Young is if you think he underperformed his expectations. While Daniels over performed his expectations. But comparing actual careers, I'd take Young 10 times out of 10. If you factor in college, than it's even a bigger disparity. 

25 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Daniels only threw 1 Interception though. Young threw 51. Just saying.

All kidding aside. So, I think most will agree that Young was the better QB. The question really boils down to do you prefer to be a bust or an inferior backup? I'd take bust because at least I can say I got my shot.

4 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Vince Young. His career didnt just start at the pro level. He won a national title against Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush and Ladale White. 

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Vince Young. His career didnt just start at the pro level. He won a national title against Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush and Ladale White. 

Ironic that none of those players did what anyone thought they would in the NFL 

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

Vince Young without a doubt. Not sure how this is even debatable. The only reason to knock Young is if you think he underperformed his expectations. While Daniels over performed his expectations. But comparing actual careers, I'd take Young 10 times out of 10. If you factor in college, than it's even a bigger disparity. 

Daniels hasnt overperformed.  He has never performed.

Both guys did nothing in the nfl.  Tell me who has made more money and thats whos nfl career id take.  Both their careers amount to nothing so money would be the only thing separating them.

28 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

True. I never believed in Matt Leinart but I thought Reggie Bush was the next big thing coming out. 

Remember how mad everyone was when we had to "settle" for brick instead of getting reggie.

4 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

True. I never believed in Matt Leinart but I thought Reggie Bush was the next big thing coming out. 

Me too. I saw right through Leinart. I was praying that the Jets wouldn't take him, because I thought he had "bust" written all over him. And for once, I was right.

Bush on the other hand, looked like he was going to be a beast. People were talking about him being the next Gale Sayers. And while he did have a solid career, he never lived up to the expectations. 

Archived