Pepper Johnson eviscerates Todd, Kacy Rodgers in illuminating interview

T0mShane

2 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

This is what happens when nobody is in charge. Roseman runs the Eagles. Belichick runs the Patriots. Elway runs the Broncos. Carroll runs the Seahawks. Ozzie ran the Ravens. Coughlin ran the Giants. Payton runs the Saints. You can keep going with this. That's why it's rule number one. Even ahead of cherchez la quarterback because there's teams that have those and still aren't gonna win sh*t, and we might be one of them because in this town the buck stops with goofballs who hire airplanes to fly banners.

Indeed. One of the perpetual, unanswerable questions for Jets fans is, “Who’s in charge of the Jets?” There hasn’t been That Guy since Parcells bailed.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

This should be enlightening.  What did Cro and Revis get away with?  And which of these led to Mo and Sheldon doing their thing.  Which were what in your mind?  Dont hold back make up something completely crazy.  And tell us all what Bowles is letting Lee get away with that leads you to believe he is half assing it?

I admire your grit, Nut.

2 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

This is what happens when nobody is in charge. Roseman runs the Eagles. Belichick runs the Patriots. Elway runs the Broncos. Carroll runs the Seahawks. Ozzie ran the Ravens. Coughlin ran the Giants. Payton runs the Saints. You can keep going with this. That's why it's rule number one. Even ahead of cherchez la quarterback because there's teams that have those and still aren't gonna win sh*t, and we might be one of them because in this town the buck stops with goofballs who hire airplanes to fly banners.

Coughlin ran the Giants and OBJ did whatever he wanted and went unchecked.  Others were late and fined. 

Belichick runs the Pats.  Brady suspended for cheating.  Belichick fined for cheating.  Asterisk by fans for cheating.  TE found guilty of murder. 

Payton runs the Saints. Suspended for bounties.  His DC suspended for bounties.  

Grass is always greener 

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Indeed. One of the perpetual, unanswerable questions for Jets fans is, “Who’s in charge of the Jets?” There hasn’t been That Guy since Parcells bailed.

Mangini was, but the fans ran him out of town because he was too boring

Pepper states in the article the defense played off coverage on blitzes. In this thread, fans are mad because the CBs got beat deep. You realize playing off is what helps to prevent getting beat deep? So which one is it?

Just FYI, every team in the NFL, college, and HS will call plays for off man or zone behind a blitz.

Obviously this article is going to do great on this board because probably 90% of this board hates Bowles and any little validation is something to hang your hat on.

But I have read this article a couple of times and still don't really understand what the hell Pepper is trying to say. He brought up one example of the coverage not matching the pressure package but that is asinine considering there are so many different things that can be done on the back end when you send a blitz. He says spy gate was ok because everyone is doing it or they should be doing it. Is he bad mouthing Mo or Sheldon or giving them a pass? Is he saying Leo should have been a 5th round pick? I mean most of this article articulates nothing and just seems like rambling after a couple of shots.

5 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Plus you’re talking about a team that has routinely over invested in defensive players and high draft picks on defense.  Then you have discipline issues with guys like Sheldon and mo.  This year will either vindicate bowles or finish him as a quality defensive coach, regardless of what pepper says.

Mo again is kind of a special kind of mess that speaks to lack of draft homework.Only remedy was for a coach to pretty much lay down the law and demand a lot more. That did not happen here.  Drop anyone in their home area with a pile of money means you may to do a bit more due diligence than was done. Is such a player going to be too comfortable or  is he mature enough to do the work that has to be done? Temple is notorious for being a very "street" program. You can say that's a good thing or  a bad thing, but it is. Knew a SI/NJ Italian gym rat kid that was being recruited and figured out pretty quick(3, 4 minutes of a visit) that Temple would not be a good fit at all. Even with that, if you drop Mo in say Houston where he's half a continent away and has to be more franchise-centric and away form the BS that is in his hometown, might have turned out for the better. we'll never know. But does look like Johnson has a point and in this case neither Bowles nor Rodgers was  the hardass they had to be with this player. 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Football is basically solved and it's going to stay solved as long as collusion and other artificial barriers to entry continue to keep out real executive talent.

First: somebody has to be in charge and everybody has to know who it is. As you note, here we're nowhere.

Second: get the quarterback. Maybe it's Darnold but the larger point is that at least on this one we're not ******* around anymore. Big offer to Cousins, flier on Bridgewater, trading up in the first round, etc.

Third: put together a roster. Step one is assembling a critical mass of rookie contracts, and again we are nowhere.

Talent wins. This is how you win with talent. The stuff people think is complicated is easy and the stuff people think is easy is complicated.

22 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Coughlin ran the Giants and OBJ did whatever he wanted and went unchecked.  Others were late and fined. 

Belichick runs the Pats.  Brady suspended for cheating.  Belichick fined for cheating.  Asterisk by fans for cheating.  TE found guilty of murder. 

Grass is always greener 

Yes. The grass is in fact always greener on the side of the fence where the trophy is.

10 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Yes. The grass is in fact always greener on the side of the fence where the trophy is.

What does anything you posted have to do with winning a trophy?  They won when they did because of talent, not the idea that these coaches run some kind of boot camp that keeps their players in line.  Thats pure bullshlt

29 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Mangini was, but the fans ran him out of town because he was too boring

Reasons Mangini was fired:

1. Couldn’t sell PSLs.

2. Wouldn’t let Woody Johnson hang out and pretend he was a Big NFL Executive.

3. Couldn’t sell PSLs.

4. Veteran players despised him.

5. PSLs

6. Mehta articles.

7. PSLs.

8. Collapse post-Favre arm injury.

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

1. Couldn’t sell PSLs.

3. Couldn’t sell PSLs.

5. PSLs

6. Cimini articles.

7. PSLs.

Came back to fix this. 

Could be wrong, but I believe Cimini was still writing for the NYDN at the time.

1 hour ago, RESNewYork said:

Pepper states in the article the defense played off coverage on blitzes. In this thread, fans are mad because the CBs got beat deep. You realize playing off is what helps to prevent getting beat deep? So which one is it?

Just FYI, every team in the NFL, college, and HS will call plays for off man or zone behind a blitz.

Obviously this article is going to do great on this board because probably 90% of this board hates Bowles and any little validation is something to hang your hat on.

But I have read this article a couple of times and still don't really understand what the hell Pepper is trying to say. He brought up one example of the coverage not matching the pressure package but that is asinine considering there are so many different things that can be done on the back end when you send a blitz. He says spy gate was ok because everyone is doing it or they should be doing it. Is he bad mouthing Mo or Sheldon or giving them a pass? Is he saying Leo should have been a 5th round pick? I mean most of this article articulates nothing and just seems like rambling after a couple of shots.

The op left off 80 % of the original interview 

Pepper comes off like a rambling incoherent fool and the author admits that pepper only agreed to the interview to plug a vitamin B 12 product 

So pepper vented about the guy that fired him to plug some snake oil 

Probably go for 59 pages here ???

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

No you cant.  Its not the fault of any HC that his CB gets beat too often.  Thats ridiculous but totally expected 

Name all the players who were constantly late while we're at it?  Mo and Sheldon?  How often? Constantly?  Where benched and publicly punished?  That was the nice guy approach like the one that Rex was?  

just stop

2 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

This is Exactly why I wanted a guy like Westhoff working as the VP of football operations. He's a no nonsense guy who would have changed this culture of laziness and stupidity. The man's been in the game for 40+ years commands respect from just about everyone he comes in contact with, yet people laughed for whatever reason when I suggested it. I would love for a guy like Westhoff to be working with a guy like Macc since its obvious Westhoff has an eye for talent he actually had to choose from bubble players his entire career to build his units that were top of the league more often than not, you have to respect that.

2 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

It was not about corners playing off WR's that I was mad about if you bothered to read it was the fact that Revis during a blitz SHOULD NEVER be playing 10 yards off a WR that makes it way to easy for a QB to drop back and throw quickly to complete a pass totally negating the damn blitz. If you are going to play 10 yards off then at least play the proper defense up front and behind said CB. Not to mention Todd Bowles Blitzes are way too telegraphed unlike Ryan who would always disguise his blitzes with Revis in tight coverage at the line taking away the short passing option. And the part I mentioned about Revis getting beat deep even when playing ten yards back is because 1 hee had no safety help and Todd's telegraphed Blitzes made it easy to pump fake get Revis to bite then beat him deep. if you pick up the blitz the pump fake will tear a corner up unless he has help up top Revis never had the help. get it ?

And Just an FYI to you they do not play that style because elite QB's eat that sh*t up hell Brady and Rodger's make a career of eating that sh*t up. Maybe a lot of the Idiots who coach in this league think that's a good call but Pepper Johnson just told you how that does not work. 

Watch film of Todd Bowles Defensive schemes they are terrible  and predictable and its no reason we can't ever get off the field on third down he plays the bend but don't break style of defense and thats why late in games when the defense is totally winded cause they can't get off the field we lose games.

27 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

just stop

Explain, without your usual whine, how the HC is at fault for a CB losing skills and not being able to cover.  Just stop isn't an answer.  

Next one, you said all the players that were constantly late.  Name them, all those players.  Mo & Sheldon we know.  You added all those players.  Stop just did quite answer the question.  

Anyone who has played under Bowles calls him a tough coach, you know that's wrong.  Know hes just a nice guy.  Explain

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

They won when they did because of talent, not the idea that these coaches run some kind of boot camp that keeps their players in line.

It is about talent, and there has to be an identifiable individual who is ultimately accountable for the talent. That’s what somebody in charge means. I’m not sure what you’re talking about.

33 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

This is Exactly why I wanted a guy like Westhoff working as the VP of football operations. He's a no nonsense guy who would have changed this culture of laziness and stupidity. The man's been in the game for 40+ years commands respect from just about everyone he comes in contact with, yet people laughed for whatever reason when I suggested it. I would love for a guy like Westhoff to be working with a guy like Macc since its obvious Westhoff has an eye for talent he actually had to choose from bubble players his entire career to build his units that were top of the league more often than not, you have to respect that.

Again I’m not really talking about the qualities that the accountable person has to possess so much as that there has to be one.

1 minute ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

It is about talent, and there has to be an identifiable individual who is ultimately accountable for the talent. That’s what somebody in charge means. I’m not sure what you’re talking about.

I'm talking about the examples of leaders you gave.  All have the worse infractions than Bowles.  The point is it's about talent not your perception of who is or isn't tough or doesn't have the same issues that every HC has. 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

1. Couldn’t sell PSLs.

3. Couldn’t sell PSLs.

5. PSLs

6. Mehta articles.

7. PSLs.

If they don't collapse down the stretch, heck, simply beat Pennington's Dolphins on the last game of the season to win the AFCE and make the playoffs,he's back. Despite treating vets badly winning can paper over a lot of bad manners 

2 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

36 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

It was not about corners playing off WR's that I was mad about if you bothered to read it was the fact that Revis during a blitz SHOULD NEVER be playing 10 yards off a WR that makes it way to easy for a QB to drop back and throw quickly to complete a pass totally negating the damn blitz. If you are going to play 10 yards off then at least play the proper defense up front and behind said CB. Not to mention Todd Bowles Blitzes are way too telegraphed unlike Ryan who would always disguise his blitzes with Revis in tight coverage at the line taking away the short passing option. And the part I mentioned about Revis getting beat deep even when playing ten yards back is because 1 hee had no safety help and Todd's telegraphed Blitzes made it easy to pump fake get Revis to bite then beat him deep. if you pick up the blitz the pump fake will tear a corner up unless he has help up top Revis never had the help. get it ?

And Just an FYI to you they do not play that style because elite QB's eat that sh*t up hell Brady and Rodger's make a career of eating that sh*t up. Maybe a lot of the Idiots who coach in this league think that's a good call but Pepper Johnson just told you how that does not work. 

Watch film of Todd Bowles Defensive schemes they are terrible  and predictable and its no reason we can't ever get off the field on third down he plays the bend but don't break style of defense and thats why late in games when the defense is totally winded cause they can't get off the field we lose games.

So you quote what I said above and act like I was talking to you. What I wrote above was referencing Peppers. Didn't realize I was talking to you and didn't bother making a note of what you have said in this thread.

So if Revis played off on a designed blitz, it's possible the play was drawn up that way to allow a short catch and a quick tackle before the sticks. So yes it happens. It doesn't negate a blitz.

Yes teams will play high low, bracket for a receiver but that usually leaves the middle of the field open. 

If Revis had no help over the top, then yes he may play off because he has no help up top and try and keep his man in front of him, again trying to give up short and prevent play going above. You're not biting on a play fake unless you know you can still keep the play in front of you.

Franchise QBs eat up defenses period. Pats averaged 29 pts / game last season. Jets gave up 24 and 26.

In the end the Jets need to play better D because that will help a rookie QB immensely

Bottom line is what Peppers said about Bowles doesnt make much sense to me along with the rest of the article. He didn't explain sh*t. On top of that, hearing your explanation of trying to explain defense, and having answers and strategies is also equally confusing. 

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 1:25 PM, T0mShane said:

https://deadspin.com/q-a-pepper-johnson-on-drinking-with-bill-belichick-sp-1828726414/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Pretty crazy interview you should all read. He consciously pulls Todd’s name out because (as he admits early on in the interview) he’s trying to get back in the League and doesn’t want to burn bridges. I thought it was amazing that Pepper is trying to incorporate stuff he learned from Belichick but he gets vetoed by Todd and Kacy ******* Rodgers, who are now in charge of one of the worst pass rushing defenses in football. Really explains why Mo and Sheldon disappeared, too. 

yeah, I just read this on my phone as was beside myself.  Pretty much what this board has been saying for how many years...  someone forward this to Mac.

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Grass is always greener 

What 8-9 Super Bowls amongst them?

11 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

What 8-9 Super Bowls amongst them?

Missed the point completely.  His point was to bring up coaches he thought ran a tight ship.  And then said they won.  We get that, we can all count.  Yes they won, it was because of other reasons.

18 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

What does anything you posted have to do with winning a trophy?  They won when they did because of talent, not the idea that these coaches run some kind of boot camp that keeps their players in line.  Thats pure bullshlt

you can have a mediocre product but with great leadership, you will succeed.  you can have an amazing product but with ishty leadership, you are going to fail.  hope that you can understand that.

12 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

you can have a mediocre product but with great leadership, you will succeed.  you can have an amazing product but with ishty leadership, you are going to fail.  hope that you can understand that.

Why wouldnt I understand that?  Who is disputing this in any way.

All I said is that the list of HCs he gave citing them as HCs that run tight ships have had their issues with players or in other areas.  The response was they won, I agree that they have but that wasnt the point.  

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Why wouldnt I understand that?  Who is disputing this in any way.

All I said is that the list of HCs he gave citing them as HCs that run tight ships have had their issues with players or in other areas.  The response was they won, I agree that they have but that wasnt the point.  

HC=leadership 

product=team

in this scenario

This is the part I find most troubling and believable. Plus it's straight-up clear English without the Pepperbonics ...  

What was it like leaving the Patriots after all those years?

I was so worried when I left the Patriots that people were just going to bring me in to pick my brain. When I walked into the Giants’ interview for defensive coordinator, I didn’t know if they were just going to pick my brain on what we do on defense, or if they really wanted me as a defensive coordinator. In Buffalo, we played the Patriots twice. The Jets were also in the division, so we played the Patriots twice. No one asked me anything, offensively or defensively, about the Patriots. And I’ve been with Bill Belichick more than 20 years. 

But when you were in New England and you brought in a guy from the outside...?

Oh, we’re going to pick his brain. Player, coach. Oh, yes. 

There goes Chad Hansen ...

Archived